Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So if I'm doing my math right here I can stack Divination + Lady/Lord on a lucky DPS for a burst window, couldn't I? Does this impact the Limit Break math at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I haven't really been able to play but I have heard some bad things concerning AST and NIN which were my two favorite jobs. Can anyone fill me in?

I actually like Ninja's new tools and changes overall but I feel weaker than I felt in Stormblood. Ninki management actually feels more difficult to me than it was before (which might appeal to some people, actually) and the necessity of using at least two mudras each ninjutsu cast leads to a lot of clipping, but I still find the job very fun. The new kassatsu only Ninjutsu look really cool.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

So, GNB: should I hit Sonic Break the second it's off cooldown, or is it better to always wait for No Mercy to be up before? I'm guessing the latter, considering it's 1,200-ish potency, but is there a breakpoint of SkS where mashing it instantly on cooldown is preferable?

Nessus posted:

So if I'm doing my math right here I can stack Divination + Lady/Lord on a lucky DPS for a burst window, couldn't I? Does this impact the Limit Break math at all?

Limit break is totally unaffected by the stats of whoever's using it, so damage boost and the like won't increase it.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

somepartsareme posted:

I enjoyed how Y'shtola had to use a life threatening spell to save herself from falling in that hole, which might not have even worked unless we happened to have an Ascian helping us. But when we ask Ran'jit how he survived, he's just like "I know kungfu"

He said he "mastered the Gukumatz," which is the name of his Mushu floating serpent dragon that empowers him, so it's more than just martial arts. I'm also partial to "old martial artist that can gently caress your poo poo up" tropes though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I feel like I'm the only goon here who really liked the story of Amh Araeng part 2, but I'm really into personal drama in the midst of bigger things so that's probably just me.

I also really liked SB MCH so maybe I just have brainworms.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I also liked the miners story. Turns out when you don't decide to stop paying attention because Action isn't happening, you can enjoy it more.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

My main problem with Amh Araeng pt. 2 was that I thought there was a train locked in some storage facility that could only be accessed by golems.. not that the golems were just pushing loving train cars around. I wanted a train, god drat it.

That we then go back to Kholusia and the solution is another loving golem got me rolling my eyes hard. It ended up diminishing the whole thing somewhat, which is a loving travesty because objectively it's a cool rear end moment.

The second half of Amh Araeng should have been about repairing a train, or they should have not done Amh Araeng and Kohlusia back to back.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ibblebibble posted:

I feel like I'm the only goon here who really liked the story of Amh Araeng part 2, but I'm really into personal drama in the midst of bigger things so that's probably just me.

i liked it but i didn't adore it. if it went on much longer i'd probably have gotten fussy but it was fine. it did have the best comedy moment of the expansion when urianger played into the sorcerer joke

i also like zenos and the evil monk

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Ibblebibble posted:

I liked SB MCH a lot, too. Nu-MCH has grown on me quite a bit but part of me misses the rhythm of lining up all of your cooldowns and ammo for sick 2 nasty damage. :smith:

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I never played old mch but the nu one seems extremely my poo poo right now from my potd runs. I genuinely think the mch rework was made for people who didn't play mch.

It also helps that damage wise its apparently up there with sam and blm.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

Any special reason to do that? It seems like you only have enough MP for 6 no matter what short of Ether/Convert stuff.

My special reason is "I want to cast more Fire 4s in a row"

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

This is crazy to read -- from a distance healers seem way more complicated than DPS! Maybe 'complicated' isn't the right word, but having to juggle the well-being of everyone on your team seems like it's a very tough thing to do. Plus, healers also seem like a more anxiety-ridden class to play; if you gently caress up a bit as a DPS it's not THAT big a deal, but messing up as a healer seems way way worse.

It's definitely a different feel. When everything is going well, you only need to heal one person (with the occasional AoE heal for various party-wide effects) and you're basically a third baby DPS. The moments where things go bad, imo, are the best parts because you get to break out all these niche tools the game has been throwing at you- so it's kind of a puzzle game of "you have X amount of time, and you need to do Y amount of healing, how do you do it?".

It's really fun, honestly, and lights up a part of my brain that DPS doesn't.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Zoig posted:

I never played old mch but the nu one seems extremely my poo poo right now from my potd runs. I genuinely think the mch rework was made for people who didn't play mch.

It also helps that damage wise its apparently up there with sam and blm.

Yeah, I just kinda wish there was something for people who did play MCH.

Not that I dislike new MCH, I'm enjoying it well enough, just doesn't scratch the same itch. Maybe SMN.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Namnesor posted:

Thanks to the 15s timers, I've been able to comfortably fit four Fire 4s after I refresh Astral, five if I'm using Ley Lines and I use Swiftcast for Fire 1

I mean, you can do that but it doesn't make any difference between you only have enough MP for two Fire 4s afterward anyway.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ibblebibble posted:

I like Ahm Araeng second half too but I didn't really like it until later in the story when I traced what was happening back to it. And then again in a post MSQ dungeon.
How does one solve a problem? BUILD A GIANT ROBOT!

I prefer ShB MCH if only because now I don't mess up my overheats all the time by trying to hot shot into them. That always, always, always tripped me up and was the main reason I didn't pick it back up until ShB when I was dusting off my muscle memory for all the classes in prep.

Cabbit posted:

(spoiler regarding the same topic and really shouldn't be moused over if you haven't seen it yet)
The only reason the giant robot plan exists instead of a generic 'make the land rise up with magic' plan is because it was set up in advance during the miner's story. If the setup hadn't happened then it would have come out of nowhere which to me, would have diminished it's coolness somewhat.
I do agree that this game does have a striking lack of trains though.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 7, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mister No posted:

It's definitely a different feel. When everything is going well, you only need to heal one person (with the occasional AoE heal for various party-wide effects) and you're basically a third baby DPS. The moments where things go bad, imo, are the best parts because you get to break out all these niche tools the game has been throwing at you- so it's kind of a puzzle game of "you have X amount of time, and you need to do Y amount of healing, how do you do it?".

It's really fun, honestly, and lights up a part of my brain that DPS doesn't.

I find now that I'm leveling SCH that I'm paying way more attention to boss cast bars and mechanics other than "don't stand in the death zone."

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Nu MCH has Giga Drill Break every 60 seconds which is what I want out of everything anyways

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I thought the Ahm Areng story was ok. Nowhere as good as the expansion's heights but not bad either.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

S.J. posted:

Nu MCH has Giga Drill Break every 60 seconds which is what I want out of everything anyways

i love drill but sorta hate how much of your dps is locked behind it and air anchor, especially considering how Effort your filler rotation is for a relatively small portion of your damage compared to just pressing the big button every 20 seconds

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Countblanc posted:

i love drill but sorta hate how much of your dps is locked behind it and air anchor, especially considering how Effort your filler rotation is for a relatively small portion of your damage compared to just pressing the big button every 20 seconds

Yeah overheat takes up quite a bit of time all things considered. It's too bad it doesn't increase the damage of Gauss Round or Ricochet

S.J. fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 7, 2019

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

I do agree that this game does have a striking lack of trains though.

O5 would like a word. But I'm all for more trains.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I finally broke into shadowbringers this morning after finally grinding through storm blood. I'm 72 on gunbreaker and I just reunited the twins. I audiably said "holy poo poo" out loud when the lady turned into a sin eater. I never expected a mmo to give me such a visceral reaction. A+ body horror.

I've also got a 71 whm that I'm using as my secondary job and I had been mulling over what I wanted to do for a dps alt. I think I'm settling in on mch since it's comparatively high level (56) so I've not got far to go, and I'm seemingly pretty happy with the rotations thus far. It probably helps that I have some really good glamor ideas for it. If I get around to a melee dps I'll probably do DRG.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ugh. UGH. (Zone spoilers) A zone soely dedicated to dealing with Fae? Good lordy gently caress. At least in ARR they had the decency of splitting them up so you can cull one group of them. This place is insufferable so far and I pray for an unholy loving firestorm to consume this place.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Man I shouldn't have sold a god drat thing before ShB dropped. loving every recipe wants old materials.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Jimbot posted:

Ugh. UGH. (Zone spoilers) A zone soely dedicated to dealing with Fae? Good lordy gently caress. At least in ARR they had the decency of splitting them up so you can cull one group of them. This place is insufferable so far and I pray for an unholy loving firestorm to consume this place.

wow look at this horrible take from a [wilted sapling]

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Your Computer posted:

I've leveled AST from 60 to 66 now through dungeons and I think I like the new card system! It's like I'm throwing out damage buffs like candy. :3:

Basically they revamped the entire card system, all cards now give a % up damage boost and half the cards go on melee whole the other half go on ranged. There's no more messing with buff durations, which also makes things a bit simpler (obviously because those spells are gonna go on Time Mage when they announce it :pray:) and instead you want to vary your cards to get different seals that you spend on Divination, a cooldown that increases damage for the whole party.

I think there's room for tweaking, but overall I'm still having a blast

Kongming posted:

I actually like Ninja's new tools and changes overall but I feel weaker than I felt in Stormblood. Ninki management actually feels more difficult to me than it was before (which might appeal to some people, actually) and the necessity of using at least two mudras each ninjutsu cast leads to a lot of clipping, but I still find the job very fun. The new kassatsu only Ninjutsu look really cool.

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like both jobs are still fun but may need some numbers tweaked, which seems like an easy thing to balance. Time mage sounds great to me because I really enjoyed the buff duration abilities so I'm kind of sad to see it go. I can't say I'm a big fan of the 'trick attack' DPS tax, but I also can't think of a better alternative off the top of my head.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Rhonne posted:

So you think we'll find a way to bring Ryne back to the Source with us?

Post-MSQ stuff: I'd think so. She's the new Oracle of Light. Minfilia didn't seem to have any problems going to the First, not sure why Ryne would have problems going to the Source, especially if she has Minfilia's soul within her own. She'll probably be key in getting the Scions back to the Source.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

parara posted:

How many people would you need now to do Alphascape 4.0 Savage unsynced at about ilvl 440? Looking to farm some glams.

Uh... Hm. Rot's going to be the main thing preventing super small groups as we continue to level and get better gear. I think at minimum that'll take 5 people (initially on a healer, pass to a tank, pass to 3 others.) Unless of course you can kill final omega before hello world 2. I'm pretty sure we're not there yet, at least not with small groups.

e: oh yeah wasn't even really thinking about door boss. Patch is fine, though, it only gives tethers to people who are actually there and alive (though you def still need two tanks), and HW1 doesn't actually need a bunch of people either.

Telum fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 8, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jimbot posted:

DON’T SAY BAD THINGS ABOUT MY TALKING HORSEBIRD FRIENDS

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

parara posted:

How many people would you need now to do Alphascape 4.0 Savage unsynced at about ilvl 440? Looking to farm some glams.

You're going to need a full party to do it still, the door boss can't be killed before Limit Cut which will 100% wipe you without 8 people. Said mechanic still needs to be done correctly too, as will Patch and Hello World 1. Might be able to kill before HW 2 now.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Willias posted:

Post-MSQ stuff: I'd think so. She's the new Oracle of Light. Minfilia didn't seem to have any problems going to the First, not sure why Ryne would have problems going to the Source, especially if she has Minfilia's soul within her own. She'll probably be key in getting the Scions back to the Source.

Minfilia was blasted into the lifesteam and basically not a living person when we saw her again in 3.4. How she got to the first wasn't much different than how the WoD did. If all it took were souls, the other scions wouldn't have trouble leaving either.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Jimbot posted:

Found the Eulmoran.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Jimbot posted:

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah, I just kinda wish there was something for people who did play MCH.

Not that I dislike new MCH, I'm enjoying it well enough, just doesn't scratch the same itch. Maybe SMN.

I hope they make that class the next go around. I could see Chemist filling a similar role.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Alisaie has never been more relatable than in that zone.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Fuath are assholes but the rest of the Fae are cool. Even if the pixies and beavers are terrifying.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

You think we'll ever find out what the deal is with those two randos hanging with Gaius? At least give me some names.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Nu Mou are cute and good. So long as you pay what you owe. :black101:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Nu Mou are cute and good. So long as you pay exactly what you owe. :black101:

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Minfilia was blasted into the lifesteam and basically not a living person when we saw her again in 3.4. How she got to the first wasn't much different than how the WoD did. If all it took were souls, the other scions wouldn't have trouble leaving either.

I put that wrong. We didn't need Ardbert's soul to get teleported to the First.

We know the Warrior of Light can hop between the Source and the First as much as they please. We know the Scions can't, probably because they're just souls in the First, and teleporting their souls back probably doesn't work the same as having ripped them from their bodies in the first place (also they're exactly like the WoD was on the Source, and they couldn't go back on their own). We know the Crystal Exarch can't because reasons.(???)

We don't know if Ryne can or can't, she hasn't tried, though she has a lot of the same qualifying factors the Warrior of Light has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Vanderdeath posted:

I hope they make that class the next go around. I could see Chemist filling a similar role.

Right now I'm betting that's one of the new classes in the next expansion. Lots of folks have been asking for it and healer bonuses are up most of the time atm. I'd be moderately surprised if it's not in. Still dependent on the next round of Savage/EX raiding and maybe player satisfaction surveys after post-ShB launch balance changes.

Rhonne posted:

You think we'll ever find out what the deal is with those two randos hanging with Gaius? At least give me some names.

Probably. Wouldn't be shocked if one or both are our gateway to Garlemald, especially if he sends them to get reinforcements.