Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

EugeneJ posted:

Briscoes were originally going to be part of the Wyatt Family but Jay Briscoe bashed gay marriage on Twitter and hosed up their chance

This would have really made the Wyatts horrifying. Those hillbillies frighten me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vellius
Sep 22, 2007

DangerDummy! posted:

There's nothing like wrestling as far as wanting to enjoy someone's work, and really being bummed out by how scummy they are.

it's such good poo poo! being a hip hop fan and listening to some of my faves' older work gives me the same vibes.

content: who is the shittiest human being whose wrestling you can't help enjoying? shawn and benoit are up there for me for sure, but i imagine there are tons of worse assholes i'm forgetting. worse than shawn anyway.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Vince as a character, Benoit as a wrestler

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Ric Flair.

I remember reading an article by some guy who went to the North Carolina hall of records and checked how many debts Flair has refused to pay or defaulted on, and he just comes off as a terrible man who will rip people off and take their money to fund his lifestyle.

Woooo!

E: here it is https://grantland.com/features/the-wrestler-real-life/

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

kenny omega. an opportunistic, quiet mra who is too shy to be vocal about it. he's very lucky about what people have assumed for so long, even after all of the "merely bad looking" situations he's gotten himself into. But i loving love hadoukens from undertale

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I always heard Shawn was a petty prick but the Kliq's antics always struck me as funny more than anything. Then I heard about how he made Davey lose in front of his (Davey's) dying sister so Shawn could win a belt he had no use for and didn't respect. I can't ever overlook that even if he is one of the best ever.

On the flipside, I gained a ton of respect for Batista after listening to how he got fined $100,000 for blading. If that wasn't bad enough, Vince fined Jericho, Malenko and the ref $5,000 each even though the latter two knew nothing about it. Batista not only paid his fine but also all of theirs. I imagine f ive grand is a lot of money for a referee or a "normal" wrestler so Batista looking out for them is extremely cool.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Cavauro posted:

kenny omega. an opportunistic, quiet mra who is too shy to be vocal about it. he's very lucky about what people have assumed for so long, even after all of the "merely bad looking" situations he's gotten himself into. But i loving love hadoukens from undertale

Wait, what?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cavauro posted:

But Cavauro hadoukens aren't in undertale.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hadoukens were created by Undertale.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I stand corrected.

My apologies.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

NikkolasKing posted:

I always heard Shawn was a petty prick but the Kliq's antics always struck me as funny more than anything. Then I heard about how he made Davey lose in front of his (Davey's) dying sister so Shawn could win a belt he had no use for and didn't respect. I can't ever overlook that even if he is one of the best ever.

On the flipside, I gained a ton of respect for Batista after listening to how he got fined $100,000 for blading. If that wasn't bad enough, Vince fined Jericho, Malenko and the ref $5,000 each even though the latter two knew nothing about it. Batista not only paid his fine but also all of theirs. I imagine f ive grand is a lot of money for a referee or a "normal" wrestler so Batista looking out for them is extremely cool.

Vince fining the referee of all people for that was always some monstrous bullshit. He's a real piece of garbage.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Hasn't there been a history of punishing referees for incidents in which they had no prior knowledge? I know there were a bunch during that time they insisted on keeping the refs in the dark as to the finishes, then fined them when they didn't react correctly to what they didn't know was going on.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Hasn't there been a history of punishing referees for incidents in which they had no prior knowledge? I know there were a bunch during that time they insisted on keeping the refs in the dark as to the finishes, then fined them when they didn't react correctly to what they didn't know was going on.

it's almost like, wwe is a hellhole, run by a repressed cte addled roid monster with no redeeming qualities as a human whatsoever, whose decisions made to the detriment of everyone who works for him, make literally no sense other than just arbitrarily being made to gently caress people over

almost

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's almost like I asked a question...

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
the answer is yes, they did do that

sorry if that wasn't clear

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thank you person, do you happen to remember any specific instances?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
WWE fined the ref from the Wrestlemania main event this year for the botched finish, or was that a work?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Jerusalem posted:

Cheers, I obviously conflated a lot of stuff in his run in my mind.
Thinking about it, you might have been thinking about this sequence:

June 3, 2002: Shawn Michaels comes back to join Big Show/X-Pac in the NWO
July 8, 2002: Kevin Nash returns from injury to rejoin the NWO, tears his quad walking across the ring
[X-Pac is released from WWE]
July 15, 2002: Vince McMahon officially disbands the NWO
July 22, 2002: Shawn and HHH come out to the DX entrance/shirts, HHH immediately (mid suck-it) turns on Shawn to set up their grudge match at Summerslam

So you were right that DX reformed (for ~3 minutes) a couple of weeks after X-Pac left the company.

It just wasn't until the summer of 2006 that they actually reformed for an actual run.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Thank you person, do you happen to remember any specific instances?

A ref hosed up the finish of a tag match on ECW on Sci Fi because he counted a pinfall on a guy who forgot to kickout - ref was fired

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/NhatHoangRBLX/status/1033740305407909888

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A- Is that the one and only time Matt's ever gotten a pin off the Side Effect?
B- To be fair to WWE, the ref 100% hosed up. It looks like he calls for the bell before his hand even touches the mat for 3 and Hennigan is clearly getting his shoulder up.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Just tell the referee the loving finish, what are we doing here

e: they all have goddamn earpieces so Vince can annoy them the entire match, tell them "this is the finish"

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
What's the first finisher that had a real, well-known name exclusive to that wrestler's variation of the move?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

What's the first finisher that had a real, well-known name exclusive to that wrestler's variation of the move?

I guess it'd be Evan Lewis using the rear naked choke and being called The Strangler because he used the Stranglehold.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Oof, this article never gets easier to read.

I think my picks are Raven, the reasons for which could also be expanded to most of ECW's classic roster, and Randy Savage, who by all accounts was a paranoid, abusive freak. Well, and Necro Butcher since he's apparently a Trump guy now.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

Oof, this article never gets easier to read.

I think my picks are Raven, the reasons for which could also be expanded to most of ECW's classic roster, and Randy Savage, who by all accounts was a paranoid, abusive freak. Well, and Necro Butcher since he's apparently a Trump guy now.

What did Raven ever do except abuse drugs?

Maybe some of the guys we skeevy with women? I remember a story Raven told about how he and another unnamed wrestler went to a ....groupie's house. (I don't like the term rat) For some reason, her small child answered the door to which Raven was like "okay, there goes my mood, time to leave." The other guy though just asked the aforementioned small child "hey, is your mom home?"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

raven must have been bullshitting about that small child because that's what he was into

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

What did Raven ever do except abuse drugs?

Maybe some of the guys we skeevy with women? I remember a story Raven told about how he and another unnamed wrestler went to a ....groupie's house. (I don't like the term rat) For some reason, her small child answered the door to which Raven was like "okay, there goes my mood, time to leave." The other guy though just asked the aforementioned small child "hey, is your mom home?"

There was some extremely gross stuff about Raven in the sleaze thread in DVDVR. I take much, almost all, of the stuff on the list with a grain of salt, but unfortunately when people, especially women, claim that wrestlers were lovely to them, I tend to think it's true. And the stuff about Raven on that list is loving hideous.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There was some extremely gross stuff about Raven in the sleaze thread in DVDVR. I take much, almost all, of the stuff on the list with a grain of salt, but unfortunately when people, especially women, claim that wrestlers were lovely to them, I tend to think it's true. And the stuff about Raven on that list is loving hideous.

Yeah, that. Also the numerous occasions where Raven, high out of his mind, would pull his dick out in clubs and present it to random women on the dance floor. Jericho and I think Konnan have stories about that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CombineThresher posted:

Yeah, that. Also the numerous occasions where Raven, high out of his mind, would pull his dick out in clubs and present it to random women on the dance floor. Jericho and I think Konnan have stories about that.
Jericho and Batista had this moment in the latest Talk is Jericho where they went all "everybody's so PC now and nobody can take a joke anymore" and I had to turn it off.

He's absolutely the kind of person to think that people having a problem with Raven taking his dick out are the real problem.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Jericho and Batista had this moment in the latest Talk is Jericho where they went all "everybody's so PC now and nobody can take a joke anymore" and I had to turn it off.

He's absolutely the kind of person to think that people having a problem with Raven taking his dick out are the real problem.

I mean, they were only talking about movies and comedy. They're also Racist Grandpa ages.

Even for me at 30 and looking just at this forum, it has changed a ton since I joined. When I joined in 2010 and for a few years onward you would be mocked mercilessly if you were offended by the F-word. Now we just don't say it. Even still, this is the only place I frequent that still uses "retarded" as an insult.

It's hard to change in general but for guys who have lived most of their lives one way it has to be almost impossible. They think we're all the crazy ones.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bad things were bad before centuries of people saying they're bad finally got heard and were responded to with derision a tiny bit less often.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

do people still drop the r-slur on something awful? There must be some lovely subforums out there

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

jesus WEP posted:

do people still drop the r-slur on something awful? There must be some lovely subforums out there

You better start believing in lovely sub forums pal. You’re in one.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

jesus WEP posted:

I see it in some GBS threads even now. Those that use it freely get probated and then bemoan the PC police for ruining comedy.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sounds like gbs is still bad

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, they were only talking about movies and comedy. They're also Racist Grandpa ages.

Even for me at 30 and looking just at this forum, it has changed a ton since I joined. When I joined in 2010 and for a few years onward you would be mocked mercilessly if you were offended by the F-word. Now we just don't say it. Even still, this is the only place I frequent that still uses "retarded" as an insult.

It's hard to change in general but for guys who have lived most of their lives one way it has to be almost impossible. They think we're all the crazy ones.

It's not that hard and it's just laziness and a lack of empathy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Every time I see it pop up, someone is quick to shout it down. Maybe FYAD still uses it idk I don't go there.

Vellius
Sep 22, 2007

CombineThresher posted:

and Necro Butcher since he's apparently a Trump guy now.

gently caress, necro is one of my faves. :mad: then again, not exactly surprised, i guess

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Vellius posted:

gently caress, necro is one of my faves. :mad: then again, not exactly surprised, i guess

I am surprised. I mean, it's not like he took any stupid bumps on his head that might cause severe brain damage or anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMU5S9VHhJM&t=239s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMU5S9VHhJM&t=470s

Err, never mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Germansimp posted:

I am surprised. I mean, it's not like he took any stupid bumps on his head that might cause severe brain damage or anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMU5S9VHhJM&t=239s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMU5S9VHhJM&t=470s

Err, never mind.

Mother of God, that commentary. :suicide: