Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

People including fan made doom levels as part of the core design of doom seems weird. Like, sure maybe you like their design better and new doom could move more in that direction, but when your example of "old doom was balls to the wall action" is a fan made level I don't think that really counts for the point you're making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ninjewtsu posted:

People including fan made doom levels as part of the core design of doom seems weird. Like, sure maybe you like their design better and new doom could move more in that direction, but when your example of "old doom was balls to the wall action" is a fan made level I don't think that really counts for the point you're making.

Yeah it's utterly insane. Just like posting TAS runs of the original levels is, or otherwise showing people with a few decades of play experience.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ninjewtsu posted:

Its not that black and white though. Jesus, I regret bringing up modern WADs. :doh: Even doom 2, if you watch anybody play it you're always moving.

I'm not asking the game to change direction. Doom 4 was perfect with berserker packs. How many times do I have to say that before you stop mis-understanding.

To be clear (for the ump-teenth time):

1. Doom 4 is a good game

2. If you like glory kills that's cool and valid

3. I wish game control was never taken away, like when you have berserker packs. Please accept this as a difference of preference and stop telling me I'm wrong.

Many times this thread has agreed that if you could interrupt the cutscenes by punching someone or hitting a computer and then move on, that'd be a cool addition. People can watch the cutscenes if they want, but especially when replaying the game, it'd be nice to be able to just keep on trucking without having control taken away. We can agree on that, isn't this similar?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 7, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

toasterwarrior posted:

I mentioned this to someone before but it's important to remember that glory kills are ultimately a way to restore ammo and health, which I touched on earlier. Ideally, when you get better at the game, you should be doing less glory kills (unless you're running a rune setup that rides off proccing them) because you're not getting hit as much and you're making your shots count in terms of accuracy, and maybe even avoiding overkilling.

To me, committing to the glory kill is similar to drinking estus in Dark Souls, and if anything, it's a lot more generous than DS does it. You stay in place and lose camera control, but you're invulnerable during it, and you're doing it to heal and/or replenish ammo which, ideally, you should only be doing at the end of a fight.

Considering that Doom Eternal is leaning into GKs for resource replenishment even more, but also giving you dashes, faster item usage, and the super shotty grapple, it's a good evolution of the concept.

Saying its intentionally slow to make you vulnerable on purpose like healing in dark souls is a different take than anybody's really expressed, but I'm not sure that's actually the case. Its definitely a major factor on the hardest difficulty but otherwise its pretty irrelevant.

And like everybody keeps saying, "well you just get the rune that makes them faster" but like.. nobody questions why you should have to do that, and the mere concept that maybe pushing that even further and making them even faster would be even cooler is somehow heresy against the name of doom? gently caress me I should go play serious sam instead? :sigh: Just so reductive.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I've been calling it zaphod42

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
maybe zaphod43 would have faster glory kills

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just shoot the dude a couple more times geez

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zaphod42 posted:

Only if you completely ignore context but goons sure do love doing that

Just, like, seriously dude :rolleyes:

There's also a huge gulf between playing doom 1 on a keyboard when you don't know what you're doing versus playing a modern slaughter WAD with circle strafing mouse and WSAD. The latter really is pretty much non-stop run and gun other than occasionally using walls to break line of fire for hitscan enemies. They're both "doom" but the point is the game engine can be played that way, and it is very fun.

Serious sam is a whole different design because of the speed of enemies and the player, where in doom enemies are practically immobile compared to how fast doomguy ice-skates around. That's... a completely other thing.

Honestly Kanos why are you doing this?

Should I intentionally mis-interpret your post and sit here going "you remind me of people who do < stupid thing > " ? Are we trying to have a conversation or just dunk on each other to win internet points?

Playing Doom 1 and 2 vanilla on modern hardware with mouselook and WASD still aren't really "nonstop action" by any stretch of the word, especially if you're not a huge Doom fanatic who has been marinating in the franchise forever. The levels simply aren't designed that way, unless you're so practiced at them that you go through them literally without thinking because you've memorized the layout and enemy placement, which a lot of people *can*, but that's not how they're designed any more than a Mario or Megaman game is designed around speedrunning. Doom monsters are slow and fire slow projectiles in part to give the player plenty of time to breathe and consider how to deal with encounters rather than demand constant breakneck gameplay; it's totally viable for a less skilled player to simply peace out of a fight situation if they're feeling overwhelmed in most Doom levels and the enemy design will allow them to.

Slaughter WADs are about as far removed from normal Doom gameplay as Kaizo Mario is from Mario, so I don't really count them as part of the essence of Doom(despite personally enjoying them).

I don't really distinguish between waiting for a glory kill to play out and waiting for the reload on an SSG; they both take roughly the same amount of time to execute, and both have risks involved that the player makes a decision to undertake(see Civvie's Doom 2 vid for an example of a 20 year Doom vet making the wrong decision regarding using the SSG and dying to the reload when he teleports into an imp trap that he forgot about).

Also you're extremely defensive on the internet about me talking about me making a comparison that I felt was apt, because your statement(Doom is nonstop action) is a very common one that I disagree with, just like how "Sonic is about going fast" is a very common one that I also disagree with. I didn't call you stupid.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's zaphod, he is the Old Faithful of meltdowns.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
here i am, going hey maybe this mechanic is very similar in nature to one in another game which was ponderous and risk-taking by design, instead i get blown off because it's not relevant or whatever the gently caress

well, i learned my lesson re: engaging with zaphod44 in good faith

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Glory cums in HDoom loving when

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I played Doom as a kid and thought it was creepy as hell. It was a horror game to me

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It really was to me too, I remember being scared shitless of going into the dark watery corridors with the flying skulls as a six year-old on map05

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Switching to software rendering in GZDoom did a lot for me realize how Doom was actually legit gritty and spooky back in the day, and hell, still does now.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

do4m is really about killing whats in front of you while classic fpses are more about pacing yourself and managing your health/ammo with pickups. you can not like glory kills but theyre an integral part of the game

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Zzulu posted:

I played Doom as a kid and thought it was creepy as hell. It was a horror game to me

This was roughly my experience playing marathon as well. Was that just how that older style of fps rolled?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It was always kind of creepy to me, then I got to Halls of the Damned and that music...and I was just scared. 10-year-old me didn’t want to deal with that, and then hearing the Cyberdemon roar and thump from across the map a few levels later always got me tensed up too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

things that are scary when you're 10 may or may not be as scary as they seem

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Doom 1's OST is a good indicator that the tone of the game was actually intended to be a fusion of "gently caress YEAH RIP AND TEAR" and "oh god i'm alone in the dark and i'm going to die", rather than that being a happy accident. Compare E1M1(At Doom's Gate) with E1M8(Sign of Evil), for example. At Doom's Gate is one of the most famously pumped up, rear end kicking, run-around-and-kill-everything themes ever written for a video game, whereas Sign of Evil is slow, plodding, oppressive, and sad in tone; you're all alone and surrounded by ghosts and literal hell demons and you're going to die and there's no hope.

Another good example is E1M4(Kitchen Ace), which is another incredibly pumped up asskicking song, which is immediately followed by E1M5(Suspense), which is downright sinister.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 7, 2019

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

E1m8’s soundtrack is somehow both painful and depressing, despite only being a MIDI soundtrack. “You will die here, alone and in pain” is the level theme, and it shows in that soundtrack too.

https://youtu.be/_jyYtV7ZL90

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

here i am, going hey maybe this mechanic is very similar in nature to one in another game which was ponderous and risk-taking by design, instead i get blown off because it's not relevant or whatever the gently caress

well, i learned my lesson re: engaging with zaphod44 in good faith

In what world did you get blown off but I didn't?

I've learned my lesson about engaging this thread in good faith, this is an echo chamber and even if you say "your way is valid, isn't my opinion valid?" you're still told to gently caress off.

Apparently discussing game design is a meltdown. Once again, the only thing allowed to post in this thread is "doom good". May as well just close the thread until Eternal comes out.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Chill dude, just rip n tear till it's done, man.

Doom good, shotguns good, demons bad!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

doom good

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
christ you're more fragile than a cacodemon versus a chaingun

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

doom good

qft

Ambious
Sep 29, 2016

Hail Hoots!

Hwurmp posted:

doom good

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

boop moob

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I’ve started referring Doom Eternal as Retard 5.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
They call me Doom Doom

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I wish to note that Enter the Gungeon has a pretty good rendition of a mini BFG, in the form of the synergy between 2 weapons, the mass shotgun and the mine cutter, the mine cutter giving the mass shotgun the player originating tracers on reloading. It's pretty fun.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
New speedrun record for 2016, 28 minutes 56 seconds. Note, they use lots of wall clipping but I guess that's fair game since it's in the game. It's pretty impressive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgJdNdRx9CA

Edit: he launches himself like a rocket with a kinda tricky glitch where you crouch and aim at things just right. Obviously glitching thru doors and geometry with glory kills is the other main thing, and launching himself with the gauss cannon. He beats a boss by rocket jumping onto his head and double jumping over a wall lol

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 7, 2019

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
The real icon of sin is a bunch of people discussing if gory kills good in the year 2203 while playing WOOD: Infinity 3

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Speedrunning has always seemed intensely lame to me. It's a bunch of guys using bugs and scripts to get past the game faster? ok? that's... impressive? (it's not, it's just weird)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Collapsing Farts posted:

Speedrunning has always seemed intensely lame to me. It's a bunch of guys using bugs and scripts to get past the game faster? ok? that's... impressive? (it's not, it's just weird)

Salty cuz ur slow huh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

Its a competition. Yeah, its arbitrary, but so is "who can put the ball through the hoop the most". As long as you can come up with a set of clear rules, and you have lots of people competing, seems fun to me.

Definitely different types of runs appeal to different people, sure. I like watching speedruns evolve for a game over time in a game with lots of sequence breaking like Dark Souls. Also just seeing someone play the game to an extreme level of perfection is pretty impressive. Plus doing it in public like in SGDQ with an audience... there's good energy there.

Especially stuff like SGDQ which raises literally millions of dollars for charity, like, it may not be your cup of tea for entertainment but you gotta recognize that's gamers using their free time as a force for good and not evil, right?

Some games are more entertaining to watch than others for sure though, and too much glitching does make the whole thing seem kinda inscrutable. The old quake done quick videos were really impressive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpiNDxssUL0

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hwurmp posted:

boop moob

poob woop

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Collapsing Farts posted:

Speedrunning has many sub-categories! The one above uses glitches but there are also 100% runs, glitchless runs (stuff like wall clipping isn't allowed), or any% for just getting through the game as fast as possible with glitches. There's a myriad of ways and each are impressive in their own way. You may find one that calls out to you!

Check out this record for 100% in Doom 2016, it's 2 1/2 hours but does have the runner gathering all runes and upgrades during their run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVKGstMFFFc

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Collapsing Farts posted:

Speedrunning (especially TAS) got a lot easier for me to understand when I started thinking of it as a completely separate activity from actually playing the game. It's an impressive feat that takes a lot of skill, but it has very little to do with the actual game itself the way most people interact with it.

Kind of like those cake baking shows on Food network; they're not trying to bake actual good cakes, they're basically making sculptures in a loosely cake-based format.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Collapsing Farts posted:

There's like a zillion categories of speedrun for almost any vaguely popular game. There's "beat the game as fast as possible by exploiting every bug and glitch", there's "beat the game as fast as possible with no bugs and glitches", there's "beat the game as fast as possible with as few/many items as possible", and so on and so forth. Pretty much all of them require a pretty intense level of skill, concentration, repetition, and knowledge to get any good at; even bug/glitch exploitation usually requires a lot of knowledge and practice to consistently apply in a way that helps you instead of fucks you over.

Classic Doom itself has some form of speedrunning baked into its very DNA. If you've ever played through a Doom 1 or 2 level and tried to hit or beat the par time, you're functionally speedrunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I really like glitchless speed runs where it’s some dude who is really good at the game, and it resembles the game I played.

I’m not a fan of heavily glitched runs where some dude is barely playing the same game at all.