Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Finished it today. What a great show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU8qYHm2AJI

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 6, 2019

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That's pretty dope. And what song is that supposed to be opening for cause it sounds super familiar.

Sana-kan
Nov 6, 2009

CainFortea posted:

That's pretty dope. And what song is that supposed to be opening for cause it sounds super familiar.

New Order - Blue Monday

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That makes it even better

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.rferl.org/a/chernobyl-for-sale-soviet-memorabilia-hbo-miniseries-radiation-ebay/29995757.html

quote:

The popularity of the HBO miniseries Chernobyl has bolstered a niche market within an online cottage industry -- the sale of Soviet-era memorabilia linked to the infamous 1986 nuclear power-plant disaster.

To be sure, vendors say online demand for vintage communist-era relics has been booming during the past decade, driven mostly by buyers in the United States.

It’s been a lucrative business for sellers in former Soviet republics who work out of their homes and have easy access to an industrial supply of Soviet-era artifacts.

Even with export duties, they say, they’ve been able to turn profits of up to 500 percent on legitimate Soviet articles sold via online marketplaces like eBay and Etsy.

Now, since the broadcast in May and June of the five-part Chernobyl miniseries, cunning online vendors have been racking up sales by adding the words "Chernobyl" or "Chernobyl-type" to items in their website listings.

The Soviet "liquidator" medals given to workers who helped clean up the Chernobyl site and the surrounding area after the April 1986 nuclear accident are the most common item being sold online.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

drat, I knew I should have bought one and the master cannibis growers one couple weeks ago when I first found them. It'd be cool if the liquidators one was slightly radioactive

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Man they’re selling our 80s Levi’s back to us

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Data Graham posted:

Man they’re selling our 80s Levi’s back to us

buy for 1, sell for 3.6

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.redbubble.com/people/el...rt&rel=carousel

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I might wear this if if wasn't making light of a terrible loving tragedy where dozens died and thousands of lives were affected.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Is that an Apache helicopter attacking the Chernobyl power plant?

e: I guess it is a scene from the new Russian Chernobyl series?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Opferwurst posted:

Is that an Apache helicopter attacking the Chernobyl power plant?

e: I guess it is a scene from the new Russian Chernobyl series?

I read something about Mi-24 gunships being used with a dosimeter replacing or strapped to the cannon to get close to the reactor relatively protected.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think this is a pretty accurate summary of the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a1gCQzBQws

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fuckin Dyatlov cosplayers at conventions

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
This popped up on youtube. Most of it is stuff we've all seen before. But the last bit....holy christ
:nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY02bycotzE&t=630s

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Data Graham posted:

Fuckin Dyatlov cosplayers at conventions

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

“Not fat enough for the character being cosplayed” is a hard target to hit at an anime convention, but by golly here we are

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, I didn't get a good photo of this guy, but his chunk of graphite moderator was bigger and his mustache was much more petulant

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You should tweet those to Mazin

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Not great, not terrible

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I like the red face, nice touch.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

I like the red face, nice touch.

Yeah, but that chunk of graphite? That's not a nice touch.

That's a hot touch. A hot touch of one spicy-rear end rock.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I was watching ep 1 and I love the first shot of Dyatlov. Most people would not who this guy is, but that shot make him look menacing and kind of unhinged. Establishes in a couple seconds exactly what to expect from this rear end in a top hat.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Warmachine posted:

At the risk of sounding :mensch:, Chernobyl cannot happen again.
Fair enough, but that does raise the question: what the hell happened at Fukushima and how could such an accident have happened in 2011?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NoDamage posted:

Fair enough, but that does raise the question: what the hell happened at Fukushima and how could such an accident have happened in 2011?

Fukushima should not be a 7 on the IAEA event scale, or alternatively if it is a 7 then Chernobyl needs to be an 8.

See this chart: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2f/Fukushima7.png/1280px-Fukushima7.png

The evacuation caused more deaths than the accident.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

SocketWrench posted:

This popped up on youtube. Most of it is stuff we've all seen before. But the last bit....holy christ
:nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY02bycotzE&t=630s

Lord Jesus :ohno:

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-08/stricken-russian-nuke-sub-crew-prevented-planetary-catastrophe

quote:

The 14 sailors who died during a fire last week on a nuclear-powered Russian military submarine prevented a “planetary catastrophe,” a top naval officer said at their funeral, according to media reports.

Captain Sergei Pavlov, an aide to the commander of Russia’s navy, praised the heroism of the men, who died as they battled to stop the fire from spreading in the submersible.

“With their lives, they saved the lives of their colleagues, saved the vessel and prevented a planetary catastrophe,” he said at the funeral Sunday attended by the navy chief according to the Fontanka news service.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said he wasn’t aware of the official’s comments but said there was no indication the incident posed a broader threat. “As for the reactor, there are no problems with that,” he said on a conference call.

Russia broke three days of secrecy July 4 and confirmed that the stricken underwater research vessel was nuclear-powered. Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu told President Vladimir Putin in a meeting shown on state TV that the nuclear reactor on board the vessel had been completely sealed off.

‘Absolutely Classified’

Russian authorities had previously refused to say whether the country’s worst naval incident in more than a decade involved a nuclear-powered vessel. They have also refused to say what type of craft was involved, with the Kremlin calling the information “absolutely classified.” Neighboring Norway contacted Russia for more details though it said it hadn’t detected any increased radiation levels.

The vessel is linked to a secret nuclear-submarine project known as Losharik, RBC news website reported. Russia said the sailors died from smoke inhalation after the fire started while the deep-water submersible was exploring the sea bed in its territorial waters. The craft was later taken to the Russian Northern Fleet’s Severomorsk base on the Barents Sea coast.

The fire was Russia’s most serious naval incident since 20 people died on a Nerpa nuclear submarine in 2008. The Losharik submarine can operate at a depth of 6,000 meters (20,000 feet), according to RBC. The craft reportedly was used to target undersea communications and other cables.

Russia’s worst post-Soviet naval disaster occurred early in Putin’s presidency, in August 2000, when 118 crew died on the Kursk nuclear submarine that sank in the Barents Sea after an explosion. The authorities were also accused of a cover-up.

Aw poo poo here we go again.

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 8, 2019

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

skooma512 posted:

I was watching ep 1 and I love the first shot of Dyatlov. Most people would not who this guy is, but that shot make him look menacing and kind of unhinged. Establishes in a couple seconds exactly what to expect from this rear end in a top hat.

One thing I really appreciated is how in that opening scene, when Akimov and the others keep saying "We didn't everything right!" you initially think they're just telling themselves they had nothing to do with the explosion, and then in the final episode, their comments are given an entirely different context.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

hobbesmaster posted:

Fukushima should not be a 7 on the IAEA event scale, or alternatively if it is a 7 then Chernobyl needs to be an 8.

See this chart: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2f/Fukushima7.png/1280px-Fukushima7.png

I'm not expert but I doubt that scales even take into account how many people die. It has to do with the severity of the accident.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

hobbesmaster posted:

Even if it wasn't as bad as Chernobyl, it makes it clear that nuclear accidents can still happen in this day and age. Considering the fact that cleaning up the mess is going to cost $200 billion and take 40 years I think it's entirely reasonable to question whether the cost/benefit is actually worthwhile.

NoDamage fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 8, 2019

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

NoDamage posted:

Even if it wasn't as bad as Chernobyl, it makes it clear that nuclear accidents can still happen in this day and age. Considering the fact that cleaning up the mess is going to cost $200 billion and take 40 years I think it's entirely reasonable to question whether the cost/benefit is actually worthwhile.

I've brought up this point multiple times and linked a bunch of source before. Even without a disaster, the cost benefit is not worthwhile. It really isn't. It's only worthwhile for places where there is literally no other option and even then...

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dalael posted:

I've brought up this point multiple times and linked a bunch of source before. Even without a disaster, the cost benefit is not worthwhile. It really isn't. It's only worthwhile for places where there is literally no other option and even then...

It is worth it for values of "cost" beyond money.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

CainFortea posted:

It is worth it for values of "cost" beyond money.

That I can't answer since everyone puts different values on things. I'm not really pro nuclear energy but if you told me the only way for me to keep the comfort of the modern world was to live 20 meters away from a nuclear power plant which may or may not meltdown in the next 10 years, i'd live with the risk. That's how much I value internet and air conditioning.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
That's exactly it. The cost to live in an environment that will kill most of us if we continue to use fossil fuels is...how do you even put that in dollar figures?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dalael posted:

That I can't answer since everyone puts different values on things. I'm not really pro nuclear energy but if you told me the only way for me to keep the comfort of the modern world was to live 20 meters away from a nuclear power plant which may or may not meltdown in the next 10 years, i'd live with the risk. That's how much I value internet and air conditioning.

Which is a good plan because 3 mile island melted down and there were no raised radiation levels past the gate.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

That's exactly it. The cost to live in an environment that will kill most of us if we continue to use fossil fuels is...how do you even put that in dollar figures?

Like an economist: You value it in the foregone economic activity that you could have had if we didn't have Category 7 hurricanes ripping open the coastline that is now 30 miles further inland, if 50% of the arable land in the world hadn't been desertified, if there wasn't superfires burning across the other 50%.... etc etc etc.

In short, you price it by what you stand to lose, to which the answer is "an incomprehensible amount."

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Nail Rat posted:

:shrug:
Which is why im big on renewable sources which are now worth investing into compared to even just one decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Warmachine posted:

Like an economist: You value it in the foregone economic activity that you could have had if we didn't have Category 7 hurricanes ripping open the coastline that is now 30 miles further inland, if 50% of the arable land in the world hadn't been desertified, if there wasn't superfires burning across the other 50%.... etc etc etc.

In short, you price it by what you stand to lose, to which the answer is "an incomprehensible amount."

Yes but how does that create value for the shareholders :smugbert: