Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Jejoma posted:

Patrick Leder does not strike me as someone who's capable of capitalizing on explosive success. The kind of hires he made, and the fact that he's so slow to make business and logistics changes makes me want to scream inside at all the money he's leaving on the table. I'm so glad Wehrle is just doing his own thing from now on.

I’m sure the Leder employee who reads this thread would like to respond to you can’t/won’t, so I’ll just go ahead and call you an idiot in his stead.

They just moved to a bigger office recently and aggressively growing a business sounds like an extremely risky move in a niche hobby that is already pretty saturated with games. And their brand focuses on an even more niche appeal within the hobby. Sorry you aren’t getting your copy of Root till October buddy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Expanding too quickly in a niche market is death. It's partly why CMON came to a screeching halt. Leder is doing the right thing matching demand and it's not like Wehrle is rushing to get another print of PaxPam.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

al-azad posted:

Expanding too quickly in a niche market is death. It's partly why CMON came to a screeching halt. Leder is doing the right thing matching demand and it's not like Wehrle is rushing to get another print of PaxPam.

Agreed 100%.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008

Fellis posted:

I’m sure the Leder employee who reads this thread would like to respond to you can’t/won’t, so I’ll just go ahead and call you an idiot in his stead.

They just moved to a bigger office recently and aggressively growing a business sounds like an extremely risky move in a niche hobby that is already pretty saturated with games. And their brand focuses on an even more niche appeal within the hobby. Sorry you aren’t getting your copy of Root till October buddy!

Thanks for getting personal, and also I've already got my copy.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I like playing the official cardless variant of dominant species because it turns into a more tactical game. Also, the senior player of the game should help with dominance. For experienced players it shouldn’t take too long to be always checking dominance. But I’m used to always checking board states in games.

Anybody have any recommendations for a family game I can bring over to family living in Europe that has kids 8-10? They have decent English skills but don’t want any game that language skills could be a deterrent. They would play with us adults too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sonatinas posted:

Anybody have any recommendations for a family game I can bring over to family living in Europe that has kids 8-10? They have decent English skills but don’t want any game that language skills could be a deterrent. They would play with us adults too.

Honga. Completely language free, played it with an 8 year old at a family games group this afternoon and she came second with only a little help.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I was kind of expecting them to start shipping in October so am actually kind of stoked to hear that I might be getting the game a little earlier than expected. I'm EU so will almost certainly be getting it a little later than the US but I had already resigned myself to it being early 2020 before I got to play so November/December is a small win.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Dice Tower Con report:

Played 44 (27 unique) games over 4 days with a lot of repeats of dexterity games each day and trying out small games between the big stuff. Here's some highlights:

Container 5p - Game is fantastic. Floundered a lot in the beginning because the turn order left me without much to do but aggressively produce and price, but in the end I had a good read on values and managed to reap some huge sales (including a $50 bid!) and won by almost $100.

Knizia-fest - Played Through the Desert, Ra, Ra the dice game, Stephenson's Rocket, Blue Lagoon, and High Society on Friday and it was great. Ra and TTD were huge hits as always. Stephenson's Rocket was a first play (4p) and that game is a real fucker. I kinda wish it were all about running the trains for share control and placing stations and dumped everything else to be a little cleaner but it was still enjoyable. The new printing is beautiful.

Also got Ra in the flea market so I finally have a copy. That brings my Knizia collection to 9 and almost complete. I have T&E, TTD, Battleline, Ra, Blue Moon City, Blue Lagoon, Lost Cities Rivals, and High Society. I still want a nice copy of Samurai, Modern Art, and Winners Circle and to try Yellow and Yangtze some more. I'm ok with him making up a full 1/7th of my collection.

Pax Pamir 2nd - 2x 3p. It's just as good as everyone is saying and the production is truly next level. First game was all British all the time and I won in the third dominance check by holding my lead after first dominance by heavy spy usage and taxation. Second game was a slugfest with a lot of faction swaps and went to the fourth and was neck and neck. Think I was tied 2nd/3rd.

Chicago Express - 5p and 3p. Sold my friends on this one hard enough that 2 of them got copies in the flea market. Managed a hilarious game in 3p where I forced them to bid up one another for green and yellow and then got 100% in blue and ran it to Chicago then got 100% in Wabash too.

Food Chain Magnate - 2p and 3p. Both games went 30m/player (all experienced). New milestones were a hit with them, and I saw the new trainer destroy both of our marketers with price manipulation and rushed up airplanes.

The Great Zimbabwe - 4p. Game was brutal. I was too aggressive in round two and heavy turn order bidding meant in 3 I got nothing and they all got 4 back, so I was playing from behind. To add to that, secondary craftsmen came out fast all around so resources were limited and prices were high. Ended up in second thanks to pumping one monument hard using Tsui-Goab and my own craftsmen.

Racoon Tycoon - 5p. This game is frustrating. It was really enjoyable and the mix of economic mechanics is good but it goes on about twice as long as it should and the momentum of the game is weird. This could be a great 45-60 minute game but was a slog at 2 hours.

Passtally - 2p and 3p. This is Tsuro but good. The tension of adding tiles to the lines vs moving your stations to jockey for better lines is great. 2-3p only is a weird count but it works great at both. Be on the lookout when this hits wide release if you like good spatial puzzle games.

and finally a couple of photos of our crazier plays of Men at Work and Junk Art. Men at Work is really good but Junk Art is still the best of that style.

Only negatives of the con were having to be around the dice tower people often and the goers that are really into The Dice Tower. Luckily we had at least 4 goons there to offset that energy. The venue is also eh but is changing next year. CSI ding and dent sale was mediocre this year too.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Dice Tower Con report:

Only negatives of the con were having to be around the dice tower people often and the goers that are really into The Dice Tower. Luckily we had at least 4 goons there to offset that energy. The venue is also eh but is changing next year. CSI ding and dent sale was mediocre this year too.

Now that I know there's a goon presence, I'll have to see if I can make it next year since I'm in the area. Sounds fun, even if I'll probably be intimidated as poo poo when it comes time to sign up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Are you central Florida too? I’m just over on the other side of Disney if you ever wanna play something.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Begun the CMON war has

That cthulu is just a display piece the store has right? :v

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

sonatinas posted:

Coloretta, For Sale, Hey, That's My Fish!, Azul, and Dixit should all work.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Are you central Florida too? I’m just over on the other side of Disney if you ever wanna play something.

Yeah, I'm a little north of Orlando. That sounds awesome--I just joined the Discord as Sinteres if you want to shoot me a PM.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

If all goes according to plan I'll be a Florida goon that is too white for outdoor activities. Still a toss up between Space Coast or Tampa.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Synthbuttrange posted:

Would be insane if this was all owned by a single person

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Chill la Chill posted:

Would be insane if this was all owned by a single person

...Can't tell if serious

The minis from all those games would all fit on a couple normal shelves, discounting mega Cthulhu. I know people with over a dozen full-sized bookcases and/or display cases for their miniatures, all full top to bottom. Miniatures addicts are hardcore.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Chill out here acting like he doesn’t have that many anime beans and model trains

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
The 2yr old (toddler)version of animal upon animal is pretty good. My almost 3 year old enjoys it but man my 4 yr old nephew who never plays games was really into the coop variant.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Fellis posted:

This is absolutely the response to the loud complainers about the price and scarcity of Splotter games. Sorry folks, just because fcm is somewhat of a breakthrough hit, doesn't mean they should now ramp up to fantasy Flight level

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

sonatinas posted:

The 2yr old (toddler)version of animal upon animal is pretty good. My almost 3 year old enjoys it but man my 4 yr old nephew who never plays games was really into the coop variant.

Animal on Animal fantastic. Only thing I like more is Richard Scarry's Busytown.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The End posted:

This is absolutely the response to the loud complainers about the price and scarcity of Splotter games. Sorry folks, just because fcm is somewhat of a breakthrough hit, doesn't mean they should now ramp up to fantasy Flight level

I think the complaint with splotter is less availability and more the component quality should be better for its price.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

fcm's an eyesore :(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I used to be a splotter component defender but after PaxPam they totally could do better, they just don’t want to. I can respect that but also I love/hate playing their games.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Oh hey, I was at DTC too, for three days. Highlights were finally trying out AFFO, Call to Adventure and teaching some friends Eclipse.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I just played TGZ for the first time and I gotta say, it looks pretty good. That and FCM are fine with me in terms of component quality (aside from paper money). Shipping the hosed up Indonesia at no discount, though...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm mostly fine with it except the number of components never matches the scope of their games. FCM at any number greater than 3 you will have to proxy components unless people are being very conservative with advertising. Indonesia is indefensible: the money is terrible, the aesthetics at least in the original print are impossible to read, and there needs to be twice as many boats in more unique colors instead of shapes. It's especially frustrating because Indonesia is my favorite Splotter.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What components do you need to proxy?

Aren't the component limits part of the game?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Never had to proxy anything in FCM. Is that an early print thing?

Also it looks great on the table, including the map tiles that I previously hated. They come to life as the game fills in and they remain easy to parse and process while being visually consistent.

The bad printing on the box cover with low dpi and upscale jpegs is trash though and if they just had someone like Panda manufacture their games (they did Pax Pamir 2) nothing would change for Splotter except better produced games, less work for them, and happier customers thanks to cheaper better made games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jabor posted:

What components do you need to proxy?

Aren't the component limits part of the game?

Food and drink are unlimited. If multiple people have a fridge or a radio tower gets put out in a 4+ player game you will run out of components easily.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Have also never run out of components of any type at any player count in FCM. YMMV, I guess, but seems like a pretty fringe case.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My version has an enormous bag of wooden food tokens, I haven't played 4 players but I still think it'd be really hard to run out of any one type of food.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Yeah I’ve played 4p a bunch of times and never run out, so now I’m wondering if I’m playing it wrong!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

unless later editions (I think I have 2nd?) come with more components, I count 40 per type. 3 pizza chefs is 24 right there. A good radio tower or airplane puts you at component limit right there and that’s not even assuming houses with gardens accumulating.

I’m curious to sit in on other people’s games because I have no idea how you don’t run out in 4 player, let alone 5.

E: there would only be 2 chefs in a 4 player but you’re still talking about 1/3 of the components in one 9-5.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 8, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CaptainRightful posted:

I just played TGZ for the first time and I gotta say, it looks pretty good. That and FCM are fine with me in terms of component quality (aside from paper money). Shipping the hosed up Indonesia at no discount, though...

TGZ is the game where the lo-fi aesthetic works. But I don't own FCM because the component quality is so low, even by Splotter standards, that I actually thought they only had a prototype at Spiel and the game was not for sale.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Sorta. IIRC the base is the 'board' that the investigators play on for the final (KS-exclusive) scenario of that game.

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

al-azad posted:

unless later editions (I think I have 2nd?) come with more components, I count 40 per type. 3 pizza chefs is 24 right there. A good radio tower or airplane puts you at component limit right there and that’s not even assuming houses with gardens accumulating.

I’m curious to sit in on other people’s games because I have no idea how you don’t run out in 4 player, let alone 5.

E: there would only be 2 chefs in a 4 player but you’re still talking about 1/3 of the components in one 9-5.

In my experience, it's very easy to run out out of components in 4p, and even 3p.

It's enough of a problem that they are including some sort of extra components in the expansion that are worth 5/10 (or something) of whatever food item (or that's what Jeroun said on the HC stream IIRC)

I also find that TGZ is pretty light on the silver cattle - everyone has to be pretty pro-active in changing silver cows out for the gold, especially during the bidding phase

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jedit posted:

TGZ is the game where the lo-fi aesthetic works. But I don't own FCM because the component quality is so low, even by Splotter standards, that I actually thought they only had a prototype at Spiel and the game was not for sale.

The card stock is good, the map tiles are thick and solid, the food meeples are A+, and the player aids are among the best out there. Do you mean the aesthetic? Because the components are objectively good quality.

Also if you’re running out of tokens print out the food tracker file on BGG. Then you can use a single token to track 1-10 items.

https://twitter.com/reinerknizia/status/1148163097733017600?s=21

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 8, 2019

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The FCM aesthetic works. In fact, I’d say the road should look even simpler. 50s road maps were extremely simple but I struggle to see how they could keep the game visually interesting but going even simpler for the map.

I’m surprised quest got a new version. I thought it fell off the radar and blue lagoon/Y&Y were the more lauded games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think Y&Y is very small in sales because of Grail Games publishing it. Blue Lagoon didn’t get pushed nearly hard enough either. BGG users have Y&Y at a 8.1 with 570 ratings, Blue Lagoon at a 7.3 with 1400 ratings, and El Dorado at a 7.6 with 5700 ratings. It’s definitely been his biggest hit recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
I see the thread has cycled to where everyone is an armchair business guru who knows what’s best for a very small and niche company (leder and splotter in this case)