Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I’ve heard that one called butterfly mount, vegan mount, and v mount. I think I like v mount best because your legs kind of form a v shape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I call it a floating mount.

EDIT: Decide to finally retool everyone's breakfalls in the am gi class and asked one of our elite judoka to reteach the forward roll into a breakfall. I am adamant that all our guys breakfall well. Fixed a lot of lower belts technique. We'll revisit it in a couple of weeks.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 2, 2019

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We do breakfalls as a warm up and its always funny watching the new people struggle and do it wrong. Mostly the middle school kids because god drat are they uncoordinated.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Yuns posted:

EDIT: Decide to finally retool everyone's breakfalls in the am gi class and asked one of our elite judoka to reteach the forward roll into a breakfall. I am adamant that all our guys breakfall well. Fixed a lot of lower belts technique. We'll revisit it in a couple of weeks.

when people start to get more comfortable you can hold a stick limbo-style and have people dive over it into a side fall

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yuns posted:

I applaud this.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

^^^ Seconding this.

My current gym doesn't practice breakfalls and it drives me nuts. They are hands-down the most directly practical thing BJJ can teach you.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Any time I go from standing to not standing, I do a breakfalk, just because. But yeah we don't really practice them enough.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

My gym does the odd breakfall drill, but here breakfall means "sit down while hitting the mat". The way I see most people doing it would be of no use when actually thrown. I try and do them closer to the real way though, having dabbled in judo and sambo. Lately I noticed my side breakfall on my left side was lacking, so I only fall on that side now as I get better at it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Whenever I lead warmup at jits it includes a taste of judo-style breakfall warmups.

gently caress the limbo stick btw. Make them turtle and breakfall over each other.

Work up to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQDPGnW_DgU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

The only thing, other than hilarious wristlocks that don't work worth a poo poo, that I got from classical JJ, is the ability to breakfall really well.

Which I've used to great effect more than my ability to render a man unconscious.

Life's funny like that.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I had a bunch of John Danaher videos open in different tabs; I just restarted my machine and they all played at once like a soothing BJJ ASMR

reach across grips CONTROL side hip out CONTROL reach GETTING CONTROL

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Someone on r/bjj posted the question "How do you fit training in the weightroom with BJJ?" I was all set to reply when I realized that "be an insane person who doesn't sleep" is not a useful answer.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 4, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I struggle with that myself; for what it's worth the YLLS standard answer for the most time efficient weight lifting is 3xweek barbell complex. Assuming you've got the time and space for a ~$100 barbell set in your home you can be done in 20 minutes three mornings a week. Again, not my recommendation but a YLLS approved way to lift a weight.

Personally, that's all I seem to find time for. I'm always promising myself I'll wake up earlier and go to a real gym for machine/isolation work, but the reality is that I'm not finding or making the time.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 4, 2019

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Yuns posted:

Someone on r/bjj posted the question "How do you fit training in the weightroom with BJJ?" I was all set to reply when I realized that "be an insane person who doesn't sleep" is not a useful answer.

1. Be an ubermensch

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Have a lot of time on your hands

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Be independently wealthy?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Yuns posted:

I've often wondered why our gyms don't have weight rooms. There's certainly enough room to have a few benches and a decent set of dumb-bells.

It'd be nice to just plan an extra 30 minutes either before, or after, bjj to do a few sets then take a shower.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am looking at getting into some upper body strength training because my upper body is trash. During PT we discovered that I have extremely weak lower traps that my body has just been working around for years now.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

drat, my wrist got jacked at open mat yesterday and I have no idea how. I also got an ankle lock blasted on me and even though I tapped as fast as I could (verbally, with a loud shout) now I'm walking with a limp. Wonderful.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

ihop posted:

Yeah the inverted triangle is one of my stronger sub positions. I don't go for the scissor choke since judo disallows it. I actually have a tough time finishing the triangle but there's a silly kimura finish on the triangled arm that works very well for me.

I swap off the kimura grip and punch through with my hand so I can base out and extend the straight leg, it's been the key for me to get it tight enough but it sends people gurgling.

Problem is I like that position so much everyone is wise to it and goes wild sitting up and turning in, my back take from that position is relatively poo poo.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

fat light heavyweight vs Craig jones
https://twitter.com/UFCFightPass/status/1148027405610602496

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

flashman posted:

I swap off the kimura grip and punch through with my hand so I can base out and extend the straight leg, it's been the key for me to get it tight enough but it sends people gurgling.

Problem is I like that position so much everyone is wise to it and goes wild sitting up and turning in, my back take from that position is relatively poo poo.

I think I get what you're saying. Like if I had the guy's left arm kimura'd, right arm triangled I'd punch my right arm through the kimura hole, get up in my left elbow/hand and straighten my left leg and send it deep?

I'll give that a try. I figure my issue is with the bottom leg, not the top. I never spent too much time troubleshooting since there's so many options from there.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

ihop posted:

I think I get what you're saying. Like if I had the guy's left arm kimura'd, right arm triangled I'd punch my right arm through the kimura hole, get up in my left elbow/hand and straighten my left leg and send it deep?

I'll give that a try. I figure my issue is with the bottom leg, not the top. I never spent too much time troubleshooting since there's so many options from there.

That's exactly it the bottom leg has to be extended further and to keep kimura control you punch yourself in the chest basically. Once it's tight you can swap back.

I love that position and the super tight triangle will make all the other finishes easier when they have to fight that off. Usually I just finish the triangle though

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Today I got to roll with a pretty gifted white belt. I guess there are people that come in that are just naturals and this guy is one of them. Or he is bullshitting me and has trained before somewhere else. His guard recovery was on point and he knew when he was pretty threatened with the over under/ over under brother pass I usually work. Even tried a logsplitter and that failed as well. Works on 99% of the white belts and most blue belts, but this guy? Nope. Even gave him the omoplata to see what he would do and he nailed it. Nice to see these people come through. You know they are going to make you better, even if he is a white belt.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Today I got to roll with a pretty gifted white belt. I guess there are people that come in that are just naturals and this guy is one of them. Or he is bullshitting me and has trained before somewhere else. His guard recovery was on point and he knew when he was pretty threatened with the over under/ over under brother pass I usually work. Even tried a logsplitter and that failed as well. Works on 99% of the white belts and most blue belts, but this guy? Nope. Even gave him the omoplata to see what he would do and he nailed it. Nice to see these people come through. You know they are going to make you better, even if he is a white belt.

In my time I've been doing this I've seen 3-4 people like this come through and then quit after 1-4 weeks.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Craziest loving thing today. Apparently one of our guys is in a custody dispute with his ex wife because her boyfriend hit their kids.

Guy shows up today AT A BJJ SCHOOL telling him to come outside and threatening to beat him up.

Like, bruv, what was your plan?

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
...and then?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The lead instructor and a 300lb purple belt calmed him down outside and our instructor was like "If you wanna start something, know there are forty guys in here willing to defend their teammate"

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

This'll show those fancy courts what a responsible parent I am

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Next Danaher Go Further Faster released, all about guard retention.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The lead instructor and a 300lb purple belt calmed him down outside and our instructor was like "If you wanna start something, know there are forty guys in here willing to defend their teammate"

Yeah lesson is: Dont start poo poo inside (or outside for that matter) of a school where lessons are taught on how to kill or maim using your hands.

Idiot...

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Next Danaher Go Further Faster released, all about guard retention.

Hell yes

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Yeah lesson is: Dont start poo poo inside (or outside for that matter) of a school where lessons are taught on how to kill or maim using your hands.

Idiot...

I was talking about this in another thread and apparently some people, posters in that thread included, think BJJ is just another form of like the kind of strip mall karate that moms send their kids to after class.

They didn't seem to realize its a legitimate combat sport and not a bunch of guys who think they are ninjas

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Even if BJJ were a dumb martial art, it's still stupid to show up and make a scene. Like I wouldn't challenge someone in front of 40 of his lame larping buddies either.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

Even if BJJ were a dumb martial art, it's still stupid to show up and make a scene. Like I wouldn't challenge someone in front of 40 of his lame larping buddies either.

fair point as well

I mentioned to a friend when it happened that even if the dude brought a gun he would have to reload before he got to all of us

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mentioned to a friend when it happened that even if the dude brought a gun he would have to reload before he got to all of us

If the dude brought a gun, and someone was stupid enough to escalate the situation a bunch of you would be shot and no one else would have done anything, they would have ran for their lives.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
BJJ is good for self defense but as Kid Mero once said its hard to focus on trying to ankle lock someone when your face is torn up from a razor

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

JaySB posted:

If the dude brought a gun, and someone was stupid enough to escalate the situation a bunch of you would be shot and no one else would have done anything, they would have ran for their lives.

It was a joke about how outnumbered he was bruv. It wasnt an actual advocacy of charging a gun man.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 9, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SHOAH NUFF posted:

BJJ is good for self defense but as Kid Mero once said its hard to focus on trying to ankle lock someone when your face is torn up from a razor

Well duh

That's why you go for a Brabo choke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

How do you guys deal with the thing where Judo guys go completely flat and face down? If it was MMA I would just punch the sides of their head until they give up a RNC, if it was BJJ I would go for a calf crank or some kind of hilarious pro wrestling thing, but I'm not sure what my Judo-legal options are.