Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Only show licenced games from the GBA were good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm going to get a switch hopefully soon if I can get a relatively cheap one in SA-Mart, what switch-exclusive games are must-buys? I've ordered BOTW, mario odyssey and smash ultimate, and will probably get buying Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, cadence of hyrule, and maybe mario kart 8. Is xenoblade chronicles 2 okay if I've never played any of the other(s)? Is there any way to get xenoblade chronicles 1 on switch yet? Any digital exclusive must-buys, too?

I'm sure it's well known in this thread already, but I was directed to Gamestop's site because used games are buy two get one free and there's also a discount code ( 3887001030953 ) that deducts a further 20% off. It led to a fairly ridiculously good deal, and I'll probably use it again to get bayo etc

the PC version is superior simply for the moddability. I added a bunch of stuff and it dramatically increased the amount of things to do, quality of life stuff, a mod to add a speed up/slow down/stop time button, and...decent story additions. Some garbage story additions too. They're going to add a bunch of new NPCs too, I think the latest update to Stardew Expanded added a handful.

Just wanted to say thanks for this heads up. Caught this deal on the last few hours and getting 3 first party switch games for basically $30 bucks each is a steal.

Edit: spoke too soon, Gamestop cancelled my order for no good reason.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 8, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Spellman posted:

THQ never met an IP they weren't willing to license back then.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Rolo posted:

I’m at the part in RE4 with the Regenerators and I’m remembering nightmares I had like 13 years ago.

Was just there. Now I'm right past "miiiiiiiiiiiiikkeeee!"

2019 goty

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

RZA Encryption posted:

Was just there. Now I'm right past "miiiiiiiiiiiiikkeeee!"

2019 goty

I really love the dialogue in this game.

quote:

I'm sure you boys didn't just tag along so we could sing "Kumbaya" together at some Boy Scout bonfire. But then again, maybe you did.

quote:

Pfft...where's everyone going? Bingo?

quote:

I knew you'd be fine if you landed on your butt.

quote:

Salazar: So, maybe you have nine lives. But it doesn't matter now, Mr. Kennedy! I've sent my right hand to dispose of you.
Leon: Your right hand comes off?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

HPanda posted:

Good games based on tv shows are very much the exception, but they happen. There was a Power Rangers game on Super Nintendo that was surprisingly good, but then again, that show probably lends itself better to gameplay than most others. Ducktales was also great.

And, of course, we all remember the Friends game.

The Power Rangers game on SNES was developed by Natsume, probably using the same engine as Ninja Warriors Again, and featured music by Kinuyo Yamashita, best known for composing Castlevania 1's soundtrack. It's a weird outlier in licensed games, because every other Power Rangers game since then has been mediocre at best.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Rolo posted:

RE4's dialogue is like the dumb action movie version of metal gear dialogue

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

THQ never met an IP they weren't willing to license back then.

I'm sure someone lost their job at THQ when Bam Entertainment snagged the Ballistic Ecks Vs Sever license.

acems
May 8, 2019

Really wish RE4 had English language subtitles so I could actually play it on the go.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for this heads up. Caught this deal on the last few hours and getting 3 first party switch games for basically $30 bucks each is a steal.

Edit: spoke too soon, Gamestop cancelled my order for no good reason.
My orders both went through, charged me and provided tracking numbers, when did you try it? I ordered the second batch on the sixth, maybe they caught on to it yesterday?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Oh my God I want to go to a Nintendo theme park so bad...but can you imagine the crowd. Not just a typical theme park crowd, but one full of gamers.

Rolo posted:

Dont forget "Writhe in my cage of torment, my friend." That line is stone cold.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
To be fair that re4 dialogue comes off as extremely lame without the intonation. The VAs really sold it

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Oh my God I want to go to a Nintendo theme park so bad...but can you imagine the crowd. Not just a typical theme park crowd, but one full of gamers.

Don't worry. They'd have to brave the sun to be there. They're already hard-pressed to go out into the city long enough to get to taint-scented convention halls. There's no way they'd flock in any relevant numbers to an outdoor park.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

WHY BONER NOW posted:

There's these things called "conventions" that have been a thing for a while.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
"Minus Donkey Kong" :negative: but... a mine cart rollercoaster...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Macaluso posted:

"Minus Donkey Kong" :negative: but... a mine cart rollercoaster...

"donkey kong" themed roller coaster misses landing after ramped jump. nine dead, dozens more injured

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

"donkey kong" themed roller coaster misses landing after ramped jump. nine dead, dozens more injured

Workers heard muttering, "loving bullshit."

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

HPanda posted:

Good games based on tv shows are very much the exception, but they happen. There was a Power Rangers game on Super Nintendo that was surprisingly good, but then again, that show probably lends itself better to gameplay than most others. Ducktales was also great.

And, of course, we all remember the Friends game.

The new Power Rangers fighting game is pretty good. It’s super low budget though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

acems posted:

Really wish RE4 had English language subtitles so I could actually play it on the go.
headphones?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Fire Emblem in 3 weeks. I hope it’s fine

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

a.lo posted:

Fire Emblem in 3 weeks. I hope it’s fine

I almost pre-ordered it today. Then my buddy reminded me that Birthright existed. Boy howdy did Conquest players dodge a bullet there.

P.S. gently caress that cash grab in general.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

d3lness posted:

I almost pre-ordered it today. Then my buddy reminded me that Birthright existed. Boy howdy did Conquest players dodge a bullet there.

Birthright was fine

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

d3lness posted:

I thought Birthright was the better one.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Conquest had stellar gameplay and a story that was an absolute trashfire

Birthright had average gameplay and a story that was mediocre

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think BotW finally got it's hooks into me. At first I wasn't too thrilled about it because I didn't really know what I was doing and o got frustrated with not being able to do certain things. But once I got a little stamina and some abilities, it became a lot more fun.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Conquest had really great gameplay but the story dragged it down. Birthright was pretty bad. Awakening was great altogether imo.

The 3ds FE era of going full on anime tiddies and waifu wars is over, unless three houses also has dating and petting simulations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Conquest had really great gameplay but the story dragged it down. Birthright was pretty bad. Awakening was great altogether imo.

The 3ds FE era of going full on anime tiddies and waifu wars is over, unless three houses also has dating and petting simulations.

lol if you think Three Houses isn't going to involve making your animes kiss

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

AlphaKeny1 posted:

The story all around was pretty bad, but I liked Conquest's characters way more. I'll probably end up picking up the new FE, but I'm definitely going to wait a bit to see what happens to the launch week canaries. I honestly don't think there are enough kick rear end SRPGs in the world so here's hoping.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

I think BotW finally got it's hooks into me. At first I wasn't too thrilled about it because I didn't really know what I was doing and o got frustrated with not being able to do certain things. But once I got a little stamina and some abilities, it became a lot more fun.

I just started Master Mode for the first time today. My daughters thought it was absolutely hilarious when I shot some floating platforms and made it rain bokoblins. So proud.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Three Houses has "tea time" where you sit down with your anime waifu, pick a suitable tea for that person and ask and answer questions, a date thing. It's going to be even shittier than what Fates had outside Japan since it takes much more time and involves horrible dialogue.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Andrast posted:

lol if you think Three Houses isn't going to involve making your animes kiss

three houses is humans only? wtf, no dragons that look 12 or any wolfkin for me to kiss?

d3lness posted:

The story all around was pretty bad, but I liked Conquest's characters way more. I'll probably end up picking up the new FE, but I'm definitely going to wait a bit to see what happens to the launch week canaries. I honestly don't think there are enough kick rear end SRPGs in the world so here's hoping.

Honestly same, I really liked the characters in Conquest more. I loved Charlotte for some reason, and Peri was like the perfect retainer for Xander.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Rolo posted:

Another aspect of HK that gave me the same warm feeling Souls did is that you can go buzz off and do something else if you’re stuck at a boss.

Play portable, put on a low effort TV show in the background and go explore around for upgrades.

And that's exactly what I did. Got myself another health pip and found that upwards magic spell and used both to finally beat the Soul Master.

Despite dying a lot, it was good though as by the time I got to my final run, I was able to dodge whist also counterattacking during most of his attacks.

Second phase was a bit trickier because I hadn't learned it but that upwards magic attack, whatever it was called, helped finish it off.

Are the rest of the bosses like that? As in 3-4 very telegraphed moves that you can learn and get around with practice?

I had difficulty with the female character boss (the one with the threaded nail weapon) as I found her a bit too sporadic to read what her attack was going to be.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Honestly if the new Fire Emblem game doesn't utilize the touch screen so you can give wet french kisses to your potential waifu/husbando and get drool all over your Switch then I don't know what Nintendo are doing anymore.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 8, 2019

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The tactics in Awakenings were so limited that beating it was just sheer willpower because I hated just about everything else about it. There seems some interesting things shown in the gameplay video, but I'm not convinced that 3 Houses will be particularly strategic. Dating the students (that's super unethical, even if somehow it ends up being age-appropriate) is enough to put me off it. I don't even want to imagine the writing that goes alongside it.

I replayed FE 6-8 a year or two ago to see if it was nostalgia and while the latter is still pretty dour, the writing in the other two is fine and the difficulty is just right. I think I prefer when your options are hamstrung, you have less tools to work with, but it all seems more finely tuned.

---

Otherwise, I finally started Specter Knight. It's weird... I get how he should move more fluidly than Plague Knight, but I really liked how Plague Knight played. I'll get the hang of it, having no over-world map is a bit disorienting though.

Rolo posted:

It's the best. They toed the line between bad cheese and wholesome camp perfectly and it solidly falls in the latter.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The game includes a five-year timeskip, after which you're no longer their teacher and can ethically date them.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

One of the victim's friends tragically died two minutes later on the same jump. His last words were "Pfft. How did you miss that? Let me try."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Spellman posted:

GameCube too, I remember having a SpongeBob action-platformer that was pretty fun when I was a kid

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Chip and dale and ducktales were great way back on the nes! Bugs Bunny's crazy castle was good too if you were a masochist!!!

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Nowadays there's quite a few anime licensed games that are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mulderman posted:

Nowadays there's quite a few anime licensed games that are great.

:thunk: