Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dan Larson is gonna be PISSED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Keldroc posted:

I always pictured Lawrence Fishburne as the Optimus Prime type.

"Hot Rod, no one can tell you what the Matrix is, you must see it with your own optic sensors."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Silhouette posted:

"Hot Rod, no one can tell you what the Matrix is, you must see it with your own optic sensors."

:golfclap:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/denofgeekus/status/1147313094525255681

So one wonders if they've had their hand smacked good enough to not try to mess with Jetfire stuff again or if this makes them think they have a "case" again.

Also LOL at 'making Robotech.' Shadow Chronicles was, what, 15 years ago?

Pretty sure they lost so bad last time, they are not even legally allowed to sue again unless Hasbro specifically used the word "Robotech". And even then.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Keith David, Fishburne and Elba as literally any character would be amazing. Even Soundwave.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Thew had some interesting things to say about Megatron. The way that these assorted, unrelating transforming robots became G1 is weird. Not to mention how the faction sigils are taken from the second and third in command instead of the leaders. That's one thing G2 got right.

Were Hot Rod and Galvatron designed by the makers of the cartoon, rather than the toy companies? I think Ultra Magnus was some kind of convoy in Japan first, but I can't imagine anybody designing a sports car semi without the story reasons for it happening.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It's not really that weird, most of the early Transformers were taken from Diaclone and the Micro-Change sub line of Micro-Man, both were from the same company and had plenty of overlap in the people who were designing them, and have very similar aesthetics too, and of the toys added from elsewhere to Transformers, they all match pretty well to the joint Diaclone/Micro-Change style too(only reason Jetfire sticks out so much is because Robotech was a thing, otherwise his nature as a borrowed design* would be about as obscure as it is for Roadbuster and Whirl), indeed most of the American made designs for the Movie characters feel way more out of place due to how crude they are compared to the Takara made designs

*funny thing is that wasn't even the only time an American robot toy line borrowed designs from Macross, the obscure Converters line did so as well

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
the 1986 movie original characters were floro dery designs, tfwiki has some trivia if you look them up.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hemingway To Go! posted:

the 1986 movie original characters were floro dery designs, tfwiki has some trivia if you look them up.

I meant the toy designs, not the animation models, the latter are fine(except maybe Rodimus Prime's weird old man face)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

The Basics has several episodes that cover this as well and are also entertaining.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
I'm employed again so I'm back on my poo poo. Just got Siege Galaxy Prime and god I love this chunky bastard. I had my roommate touch up the smokestacks and a little bit of detailing, but I may commission her to do it up like her Ultra Magnus:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Brunt rules. I haven't had a chance to really break him into pieces and see what's what yet, but his vehicle mode is the best of the weaponizers I think. The turret can rotate even.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/denofgeekus/status/1147313094525255681

So one wonders if they've had their hand smacked good enough to not try to mess with Jetfire stuff again or if this makes them think they have a "case" again.

It should be noted that the extension deal only covers the three series used to make Robotech (SDF Macross, SDC Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeada), and not Macross series outside of the original. So the cockblocking of blu-ray editions of Macross Plus in the west may finally be over.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I couldn't leave this behind

And this arrived while we were out of town. It's a little fragile but I adore it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love it when KO stuff comes in an unnecessarily big packet.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Keldroc posted:

It should be noted that the extension deal only covers the three series used to make Robotech (SDF Macross, SDC Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeada), and not Macross series outside of the original. So the cockblocking of blu-ray editions of Macross Plus in the west may finally be over.

That's true. Related, I wonder how many people try to actually talk to Big West these days.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rhyno posted:

I couldn't leave this behind

Is there anything amusing on the back?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I love swole off-model Cheetor.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Keldroc posted:

If they still own the Macross trademark in the West and want payment for it's use then that blocks any potential Macross release

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I love swole off-model Cheetor.

is he meant to have shoulder nipples

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
I realized that my Galaxy Prime could use an ax, so I ordered a Pteraxadon and I'm planning to give it a sorta Animated-inspired wash of color.

Hey check it out, it's Not-Swoop

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Other posted:

If they still own the Macross trademark in the West and want payment for it's use then that blocks any potential Macross release

This may be limiting that to just the Robotech brand. I guess we'll see. Some seem to believe that it's basically the same deal as before and Tatsunoko just hosed up.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dawgstar posted:

There's currently a comic series out with Titan and they tried to get a wargame off the ground not that long ago via Palladium.

Good Listener posted:

Pretty sure they lost so bad last time, they are not even legally allowed to sue again unless Hasbro specifically used the word "Robotech". And even then.
They tried to sue CGL, PGI and HBS over Battletech again and... also lost.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

There's currently a comic series out with Titan and they tried to get a wargame off the ground not that long ago via Palladium.

Sure, but I don't think they've had a direct hand in things since that extremely mediocre OVA.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Invictus posted:

Is there anything amusing on the back?

Just pics of the other KOs in the series. I also got my Ectotron who is neat but there's plenty of pics of that guy. And Zeta Seaspray who is just fine for the MP display.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Dawgstar posted:

Sure, but I don't think they've had a direct hand in things since that extremely mediocre OVA.

If they hewed at least slightly to the Jack McKinney books they’d have fared better.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dawgstar posted:

Rubber stamping a cheque generating machine counts as "making" as far as the bank is concerned! :pseudo:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Chibs posted:

Hey check it out, it's Not-Swoop

Strafe?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Arrivals while I was out of town. Got a box arriving Wednesday as well.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

GD_American posted:

If they hewed at least slightly to the Jack McKinney books they’d have fared better.

Is a sentence I never thought anyone could say in earnest, but here we are. HG's level of gently caress-uppery is impressive.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I thought Mckinney's stuff (I know it was actually two dudes) was decent, as far as genre fiction goes. Lord knows Robotech was not exactly a layered, nuanced tapestry of characterization.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Having watched Thew's Megatron review it reminds me of being a bit :stare: when I saw the Fortnite NERF stuff recently. It's... just real guns. But neon. Some kid is going to spraypaint one black and get shot by cops over it. Or just get shot anyways.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wow, Siege Skyfire is a big boy. Plane mode is just as unpolished as advertised. Kind of want to finally figure out how to do a panel line wash for him.

Still think the Takara Generations version is my favorite Jetfire so far, even with his one wiggly leg. Classics has the better plane mode and boosters but he's relatively primitive now.

Man, if Hasbro ever did a Jetfire based on the XB-70 Valkyrie, I'd be there with bells on.

Or, yknow, if Harmony Gold ever mysteriously burned down and Hasbro poached the Macross license from Bandai like they did with Rangers. One can hope.

Phy fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 9, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Arquinsiel posted:

Having watched Thew's Megatron review it reminds me of being a bit :stare: when I saw the Fortnite NERF stuff recently. It's... just real guns. But neon. Some kid is going to spraypaint one black and get shot by cops over it. Or just get shot anyways.

Nerf has bipod mounted sniper rifles and belt fed tripod mounted machine guns

It's been a thing for a while

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Put his face mask on!

That seriously is my favorite Prime design. I'm not sure why, might be the shoulder armor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

Is that the non-transforming Prime? I think that’s the same company that hinted at doing a TFP Knockout too.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I had the tripod at my desk at work over 10 years ago. It only worked intermittently, but when it did, look out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Is that the non-transforming Prime? I think that’s the same company that hinted at doing a TFP Knockout too.

It is. They have Megatron ready to go, Ultra Magnus in late stages and Knockout is in early design stage.

It's a crazy good figure.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Captain Invictus posted:

There's a difference between a NERF sci-fi gun that has real-ish features rendered in the sci-fi greeble style and "this is literally a SCAR L" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this shirt from today's Ript 24-hour shirts got a chuckle from me. I completely forgot about the movie "We're Back!" but for whatever god drat reason I immediately recognized the poses of the dinobots as from the cover of that

Arquinsiel posted:

There's a difference between a NERF sci-fi gun that has real-ish features rendered in the sci-fi greeble style and "this is literally a SCAR L" though.
I guess, though some of those N-Strike ones get pretty real looking if you were to paint them black or whatever.