Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

klafbang posted:

Sound is not working.

More like Unhurd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
2019: another year of no sound on the desktop

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I have sound on my Linux Fedora workstation computer machine.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

klafbang posted:

Got it running walking barely crawling.

No network because Realtek doesn't even sound like a real piece of networking equipment.

If I click on the globe-ting or web-browser in the menu, I get a terminal. This is pretty much the full installation of Debian GNU/Hurd (for Enterprise).

Sound is not working.

pretty pro vm name

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

theodop posted:

More like Unhurd

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
so what hardware/VM configuration do the hurd devs use?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

so what hardware/VM configuration do the hurd devs use?
if I were to wager, i’d say a thinkpad t420/t520.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hit my first thing that doesn't work in wayland: intellij idea (2019.1 community). it shows the loading screen then just goes to a blank window. it acts like everything's fine, the titlebar even shows that it thinks its in the project. no error messages or anything in the console either. there just isn't anything in the window frame.

i had only installed it a couple weeks ago for rust anyway, so this was as good a time as any to look at some alternative rust ides. turns out vscode works much better than idea did, so thayland for pointing me to a better rust ide

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

hit my first thing that doesn't work in wayland: intellij idea (2019.1 community). it shows the loading screen then just goes to a blank window. it acts like everything's fine, the titlebar even shows that it thinks its in the project. no error messages or anything in the console either. there just isn't anything in the window frame.

i had only installed it a couple weeks ago for rust anyway, so this was as good a time as any to look at some alternative rust ides. turns out vscode works much better than idea did, so thayland for pointing me to a better rust ide

i know ~linux~ and all, but have you tried starting intellij with this env?

export _JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING=1

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

yep that fixed it whatever it was

code:
$ export _JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING=1
$ idea
at this point i'm gonna try sticking to vscode a bit longer but good to know there's a fallback if that gets to be annoying somehow

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
AWT assumes a lot of weird things about the WM it runs under and will change behavior drastically. Mutter should still be a reparenting WM so I'm not sure what Java's confused about but I don't trust AWT in the slightest

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Shaggar posted:

im not using either, but Silverlight will continue to work for decades and winrt is still the future of windows.

I was cruising the early pages of this thread just now and couldn't not immediately quote this

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

I was cruising the early pages of this thread just now and couldn't not immediately quote this

1) why
2) lmfao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

shagger was wrong :wth:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the year i guess on that post: 2013

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
AWT apps should run fine on my JavaStation though

Java 1.1 on microSPARC with no JIT woo

eschaton fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 9, 2019

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
also most of the initial JavaStation buyers wanted to use them as cheap X terminals in student clusters on college campuses

guess what it doesn’t use for display

but someone did implement an X server that runs under Java 1.1

with no native code libraries of course, because it didn’t support those, because in theory the next version was going to use JavaChip

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

also most of the initial JavaStation buyers wanted to use them as cheap X terminals in student clusters on college campuses

not coincidentally the javastations were the exact same form factor and very nearly the same hardware as sun's prior generation of cheap X terminals

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

nbsd: the synaptics driver is a trainweck and has been deprecated for years. hutterer was the last maintainer, and he wont touch it with a ten feet pole

this is like when you talk about amd graphics and mention issues with fglrx, you're living 10 years in the past

??? we were explicitly discussing libinput

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

you know what’s hard to find these days?

the SPARCstation SLC

you’re more likely to find a SPARCstation Voyager

(which since it’s basically a luggable SPARCstation 5 can run all the operating systems—SunOS, Solaris, and OPENSTEP/Mach!)

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
a moment of silence for 1995: the year of Solaris on the SPARC-based luggable

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

eschaton posted:

you know what’s hard to find these days?

the SPARCstation SLC

good

nobody should preserve those, they deserve to be erased from history

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

good

nobody should preserve those, they deserve to be erased from history

the elc and slc were extremely bad

their lunchbox equivalents are good and cool, bough, and those are becoming rare. ipc/ipx/lx used to go for like five dollars :(

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Vomik posted:

a moment of silence for 1995: the year of Solaris on the SPARC-based luggable

there were some tolerable sparc laptops, and many pc laptops that ran Solaris well

the voyager was something else. it had expansion capabilities and weird peripherals (a branded overhead display!) and nearly identical hardware to a full size workstation

it was also, to my knowledge, the only sun product to include pcmcia slots

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I keep hoping that a SPARCstation Voyager with carrying case will show up on CraigsList SF Bay Area like my SGI hardware did

I’m not paying like $500 for one

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

drat I remember fukken with this .. and failing :dukedoge:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

eschaton posted:

with no native code libraries of course, because it didn’t support those, because in theory the next version was going to use JavaChip

lol ive never heard of this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PicoJava

pram
Jun 10, 2001
incredibly gnu binutils still has support for picojava, and theres been a commit to it this year lol

http://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commit;h=e1cbf07ac4f8c8525dfadaa19bfb2997a2bfaad9

support for a 20+ year old processor that was never released, now thats cruft!!

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

the dream is still alive on arm

or was, i think they threw in the towel awhile ago

honestly java silicon would be rad as hell. java is one of those things i hated, then loved (after 5), then hated (thanks oracle), but am still secretly in love with but wont let myself go back to even though i know id be happier. were going to end up in the same nursing home then die together watching the sunset

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
this reminded me of the hosed up fact that some smart cards and sim cards actually run on java

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Card

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Zlodo posted:

this reminded me of the hosed up fact that some smart cards and sim cards actually run on java

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Card

quote:

However, many Java language features are not supported by Java Card (in particular types char, double, float and long; the transient qualifier; enums; arrays of more than one dimension; finalization; object cloning; threads). Further, some common features of Java are not provided at runtime by many actual smart cards (in particular type int, which is the default type of a Java expression; and garbage collection of objects).

...I guess you use short?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Breakfast All Day posted:

the dream is still alive on arm

or was, i think they threw in the towel awhile ago

honestly java silicon would be rad as hell. java is one of those things i hated, then loved (after 5), then hated (thanks oracle), but am still secretly in love with but wont let myself go back to even though i know id be happier. were going to end up in the same nursing home then die together watching the sunset

well, arm9ej are still in a lot of products

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

limited embedded java is a far more sensible setup than most obvious mainstream alternatives i could imagine

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

josh04 posted:

...I guess you use short?

i'm guessing they mean char as an 8 bit type and int as a 32 bit type?

are the java specs different from the c specs wrt basic types? char is supposed to be the smallest addressable machine unit (sizeof(char) will always be 1, but it won't necessarily be 8 bits) and an int is a basic integer type of at least 16 bits. even if this thing only supports 16 bit integers you should still have support for char and int, they just wont be 8 and 32 bits respectively

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

The_Franz posted:

are the java specs different from the c specs wrt basic types? char is supposed to be the smallest addressable machine unit (sizeof(char) will always be 1, but it won't necessarily be 8 bits) and an int is a basic integer type of at least 16 bits. even if this thing only supports 16 bit integers you should still have support for char and int, they just wont be 8 and 32 bits respectively

Java, the language designed for portability across machines, does specify the size of ints, yes.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
i have a opengpg smartcard (same one as fsf europe's Fellowship Card) which iirc runs proprietary software written in a dialect of BASIC :pwn:

http://basiccard.com/

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
jvm hardware is a poo poo idea, even ignoring that stack machines are terrible the jvm is totally reliant on link-time optimization and recompilation for performance

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

The_Franz posted:

As mentioned by others, Java is very different from C for primitive types as it was designed to avoid the entire mess that is C typing. A Java char is a 16 bit unicode character (it was defined back when unicode had 16 bit code points). A byte is 8 bits and signed and an int is 32 bits and signed. A boolean is also not just an int.

There was a neat Defcon talk where some nerds got a hold of a bunch of SIM cards supporting SIM apps for JavaCard because they set up a micro telco for a nerd-fest in the woods. They demonstrate what it is like to code for JavaCard (it is painful).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31D94QOo2gY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ToorCamp is awesome and ShadyTel is the best telco in the world bar none

I look forward to discovering what ShadyTel voice and data services are available at ToorCamp 2020

https://twitter.com/TProphet/status/1010236926958288897?s=20