Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

hush-kit posted:

Saro Lerwick
"Fat boy swim"
Despite possessing a decidedly cuddly aesthetic the Lerwick was a killer, difficult to handle in the air or on the water and a miserable combat aircraft. Recommended to be scrapped in 1939, the Lerwicks were pressed into service due to the lack of any alternative and of 21 built, 11 were lost, 10 in accidents and one simply disappeared. Its main problems were the old chestnuts of lack of power coupled with an inexplicable lack of stability. The Lerwick could not be flown hands-off, a serious flaw for a long range patrol aircraft nor could it maintain height on one engine. It was prone to porpoising on landing and take off and possessed a vicious stall. Added to this structural concerns (the floats regularly broke off) and a woefully unreliable hydraulic system and it is amazing that the diminishing number of Lerwicks managed to remain in use until the end of 1942.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

That's amazing.

It was too beautiful to live

Good lord, look at all the leg room passengers have. Nowadays each nacelle would probably have 12 people each

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

sum posted:

Having failed again with the Vit Elefant to win a ship design contest, Helmund & Son try a risky strategy for their next ship; namely, ignoring the rules.

I'm pleased to present the Åsidosätta:

file:https://www.dropbox.com/s/t8pyqaf6zle5ai7/%C3%85sidos%C3%A4tta.30d?dl=0

You may notice that we have, er, made an unconventional interpretation of the design specifications. We felt very strongly that a 4 x 2 x 12" armament would make her obsolete before she has even launched, so we have opted for an improved 4 x 2 x 14" main battery. This slight increase in expense will dramatically improve her combat effectiveness and give her a fighting chance against the dreadnought designs which are already leaving slipways. Her belt and deck armor make her invulnerable against her own guns, with up-armoring around the turrets to future-proof her against better-armed designs. She makes a peppy 22 knots and has a sensible armament of fourteen 4" secondary guns that are sufficient for swiss-cheesing marauding destroyers without confusing the aim of her main guns. Overall, she may not be the battleship the navy ordered, but she is the battleship the navy deserves.

Veloxyll posted:

WE'Z GLAD YA ASKED

Takin insprashun from tha preevyus entry, we prezents da Dukh Zakona
Turnz owt dat puttin de secon set a gunz in turretz iz impossible, but az da bill demandz, she az 8 12 inch riflez. (datz 4x2 for doze in da bak).

I challenge any ov our kompetitorz ta jam more fiarpower into a modern warship dan we did.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IfIqw_F2OSkdBZB1sjot-HG04PCGnqg8

habeasdorkus posted:

(Prince Valeryan Igorovich Urodlivyy, founding member of the Русские созданы для борьбы и победы Salon, at a historical costume ball in St. Petersburg, circa 1899)

The Ensign of the Русские созданы для борьбы и победы Salon, Circa October 1906

While the Salon believes that there is already a suitable entry in this contest, in the form of the Dukh Zakona, we believe that the plans can be improved even further. Thus, the Русские созданы для борьбы и победы is proud to present the Кот Бегемот class battlecruiser.

Ship Blueprints & Ship Profile

At the cost of roughly two inches of belt and turret armor, we have been able to bring Behemoth to life at a roaring 27 knots, giving the Tsar a suitable honor guard whenever he travels abroad. We believe the brilliance of the Duhk Zakona design was in the development of twelve inch secondaries, and by putting them into dual turrets we have eliminated any potential decline in their rate of fire. Obviously the Behemoth will be best suited to working in conjunction with screening destroyers, perhaps upgrades from our current Podliv class, but with the massive size of the primary and secondary batteries and its incredible speed it will be able to keep any ship carrying heavy guns at ranges that will make its comparatively lesser armor a non-issue. So long as she stays 10km out, she fears nothing- and anything drawing closer will be utterly annihilated by her broadsides.

Your most leal relative,
Valeroshka

Jimmy4400nav posted:

While I am a formal member of the Salon, I do feel obligated to throw my hat into the ring for a ship design. While technically battleships were selected, I feel as though our Majesties Yacht needs only the best to keep up, which means a cruiser designed for heavy battle.

I present the Riga. A smaller offering, she boasts the 12 inch guns we are proficient in building. With her emphasis on Speed and Long Range, she will be more than capable of keeping up with the Czars yacht and with her armored secondary battery of 8 inch guns she is more than capable of meting out damage to smaller, but more nimble combatants while keeping up a steady stream of fire on the larger capital ships of our foes.

I feel as though this design captures the spirit of our desire to provide the Czars flagship with nothing but the best, most capable and speedy vessels, and at an affordable price tag.

Design Link

professor_curly posted:

No gods no rules, the Tsar rules here and the Tsar deserves only the best. And the best can be found across the seas. Or in other words, you are all thinking too small. If you're going to break the rules, break 'em good and hard.

The P_C Design Bureau presents to you the Tsesarevich, which will rule the seas as the Tsar rules the Russias.

Tsesarevich.30d

Just to give some perspective of what the other nations could/are building right now. This battleship would be immune to all current Russian naval gunnery over its vital components, has increased protection against torpedoes and 9x16-inch guns which can sink any of the proposed ships at ranges less than 7,000 yards or greater than 15,000 yards while being impervious to return fire. Nothing anyone in the world is building can threaten this ship except for our own superlative destroyer force.

Get voting!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The Åsidosätta is the only domestic design that's half way rational and thus should be built.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Speaking of which, Hush-Kit is holding another airplane design contest

Hush-Kit posted:

Choose one of the following design briefs:

Requirement 560

Design a fighter aircraft using only technology available in 1970. The aircraft must have a range of at least 400 nautical miles. It must have a minimum top speed over Mach 1.8. It should carry at least one cannon and four air-to-air missiles. The type should have a good dogfighting performance.

Requirement 570

Design a fighter-bomber aircraft using only technology available in 2019. The aircraft must have a range of at least 400 nautical miles. It must have a minimum top speed over Mach 1.6. It should carry at least one cannon and four air-to-air missiles/and/or 7000kg of munitions.. The type should be relatively cheap to build, easy to maintain, and a short development period.

Requirement 680

Design a supersonic civil passenger aircraft using only technology available in 2019. Minimum top speed 1000mph. Range 2500 miles. 100 passengers plus reasonable baggage. Extra points awarded for economy of operation and lower noise levels.

Requirement 750

Design a close support aircraft using only technology available in 1985. Minimum top speed 400mph. Must capable of carrying at least 5000kg of munitions and carry internal gun. Must be low-cost, highly resistant to ground-fire and have minimal ground support requirements. STOL or rough-field capability a plus.

Requirement 760

Design a fighter aircraft using only technology available in 1938. The aircraft must be a capable dogfighter. Armament is to be four cannon. Aircraft must have a top speed higher than 380mph, be easy to repair and maintain and offer a high level of battle damage resistance.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Kot Begemot because it's the orkiest

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
The Riga because it's the only legal entry

Abstaining in protest as all entries are illegal

Splode fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jul 8, 2019

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Dukh Zakona

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Danann posted:

The Åsidosätta is the only domestic design that's half way rational and thus should be built.

I'm voting for the Åsidosätta as well. Mostly I want a pair or more of BB's floating around!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I vote for the Dukh Zakona. The Åsidosätta lacks dakka, the Кот Бегемот is made of cardboard, and the Tsesarevich is treason.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Splode posted:

The Riga because it's the only legal entry

None of the entries are fully legal. The Riga only has 3x2 12" guns :)

and only two of them are BB class, the rest are BC.

This has been a Good Design Contest (I was considering actually making a B variant with more tonnage and ammo, but voting was up before I got home)

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 8, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Veloxyll posted:

None of the entries are fully legal. The Riga only has 3x2 12" guns :)

and only two of them are BB class, the rest are BC.

This has been a Good Design Contest (I was considering actually making a B variant with more tonnage and ammo, but voting was up before I got home)

Every design has compramised on the rules somehow, so either all are viable, or none are.

People can vote for none of the above it they wish!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

If it's not legal I'm going back to abstaining

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Grey Hunter posted:

Every design has compramised on the rules somehow, so either all are viable, or none are.

People can vote for none of the above it they wish!

Well, in our defense, we can't choose whether they're classified as BB or not.

Rules are made to be broken! Like the Spines of the Tzar's enemies!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

They're the Tsar's rules!

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
While I would greatly enjoy seeing Grey wrangle some of these designs, playing as Russia is hard enough as is and he needs all the help he can get. The Åsidosätta is probably our best bet.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
The Riga has 8 inch secondaries in the description but 10 inch secondaries in the design.

Dukh Zakona because I want to see this in action.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Tsesarevich

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006
Dukh Zakona has what we need.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Åsidosätta

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pershing posted:

Åsidosätta

Seconded

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Åsidosätta

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dukh Zakona

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Åsidosätta

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Åsidosätta

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Riga because it's fast and almost legal.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Åsidosätta

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Kot Begemot because it's the most aesthetically pleasing ship of the lot.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar
Kot Begemot

because it is made of awesome.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

shalafi4 posted:

Kot Begemot

because it is made of awesome.

This.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I can’t believe I missed the start of this. Anyway:

Åsidosätta

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Kot Begemot though it was a tough choice

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Tsesarevich

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Åsidosätta

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
The Pirate Party endorses the Åsidosätta. It is forward-looking without being foolishly overbuilt or over-fast.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
We here vote for the shipwrights to be hanged for ignoring the rules, and having their heads put up on pikes as a warning to future generations.

The only appropriate response to rebellion is the gallows.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Åsidosätta

The other designs all seem to forget the basic idea of a Dreadnought: a single caliber of the absolute heaviest armament to simplify gunnery (shell splashes) and on-board storage of ammunition.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 9, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Speleothing posted:

Åsidosätta

The other designs all seem to forget the basic idea of a Dreadnought: a single caliber of the absolute heaviest armament to simplify gunnery (shell splashes)

I mean, you should probably vote for the Tsesarevich then, the guns are 2 inches bigger, and it even has 1 more of them

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

quote:

Current states
Germany – Neutral
Britain – Friendly
Austria-Hungary – Hostile
France – Neutral
Italy – Neutral
Japan – Hostile
USA – Friendly.

Priority 1 – Budget
Priority 2 - Prestige.

quote:

Proposed: Flying The Flag
- The Tsar's Yacht must be kept in the current theatre when at war - it's too imppsing and modern not leverage and apparently scares the Japanese witless
- it must not run away like a coward when it is in battle, especially when it has more speed and longer range guns than its quarry
- it must not do stupid semi-suicidal attack runs for "elan" or other silly reasons
- basically treat it like a normal ship
- BUT our other ships, especially destroyers, must ensure our flag keeps flying - whilr damaging the enemy is still clearly their mission, the moment the Tsar's yacht is at risk thry must hurry to help it (if close enough to actually affect things)

Build a battleship

As for best ship, our destroyers have been excellent

edit: AMENDED:
1x battleship, The battleship must have 4 turrets with dual 12" guns as its primary armament. A second battleship of this class may also be laid down at the discretion of the admiral.

The Land War In Asia act

Basically as things stand now we are winning decisively and with the blockade it's only a matter of time till Japan collapses. This act continues the good work the Tsushima time act has begun and sets us up to crush Japan.

- All relevant ships (INCLUDING THE YACHT DAMMIT) are to pile on to Northeast asia and seek decisive battle with the Japanese.
- If we have enough ships in NE asia to maintain the blockade transfer enough ships of our lowest quality to SE asia to dominate the seas there.
- Submarines to unrestricted warfare.
- Half the short range CA/CL stuck in northern Europe change to raider status.
- Place our best CA or the Tsars Yacht on trade protection in NE asia unless this would reduce us under blockade required tonnage.
- If the budget allows, initiate a naval invasion on a Japanese territory in range.
-Try force the Japanese govt to collapse through revolution via blockade and arming revolutionaries. In war reparations the priority is SE asia territory > NE asia Territory

-If we suffer a terrible reversal this act also enables the admiral to seek a negotiated peace.
-If the war ends the old/bad 40% of the B/DD fleet mothballs in NE asia while the rest transits to Europe and reserves.

Proposal: There must always be one destroyer named Verni in service at all times. In case Verni is sunk in combat, next DD off slipways will also bear the name Verni.

I order the royal yacht back into the warzone. Subs go to unrestricted warfare and I need to amass funds to build the dreadnaught.

January 1910

If we can win here, we will reduce Japan to a rump state.

Not entirely true, but it give us money.

Our subs are having the desired effect.

We a patrolling close to their coast now.

We find their last battleship, and while we are outgunned, it is two to one, and I fancy our chances.

Especially when an early hit disabled her fore turret.

We trade hits, but the weight of fire is on our side – a hit on the Rossiya cripples her engines. Then the Pamyat Azova is hit by a solid broadside and is forced to retire.

The Japanese are able to claim victory.

We maintain the blockade.

February 1910

The subs do their work.

The Japanese feel the brunt of this.

They can't do anything about it though.

They do attempt an attack on our forts however.

Our heavy cruisers run right into their force in the dead of night.

Things get brutal.

We slam hits into the light cruisers.

Make that an ex destroyer.

The light cruiser explodes soon after, and the small Japanese force is destroyed.

I'm not sure what good they thought that would do – but they did claim a destroyer.

Lots of tech updates there.

March 1910

This is why you can't trust the army.

We get the plans for the Colorado class dreadnought.

We see some nice breakthroughs.

The Japanese people continue to buckle.

Their Raiders are good, but our subs are better.

We aim to make their supply situation worse.

We scythe into their transports.

With their transports burning, we engage their cruiser.

This will not last long.

The Grom class ships soon leave her burning.

We leave none behind.

A praiseworthy victory.

Japan will fall soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

So which ship won the vote?