Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
They were pretty good! I'm like 90% sure that it's only going to cover the prologue, going by what the first three episodes cover, which means that if this ever gets a second season, I get to experience people missing the point of Vinland Saga all over again when the first half of it is Farmland Saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Mighty Dicktron posted:

They were pretty good! I'm like 90% sure that it's only going to cover the prologue, going by what the first three episodes cover, which means that if this ever gets a second season, I get to experience people missing the point of Vinland Saga all over again when the first half of it is Farmland Saga.

The natural cycle repeats.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

That was beautiful. I only saw ep 1 but it was the most beautiful thing I’ve seen in weeks. Absolutely stunning.

The characters we saw in the OP imply that we will finish the prologue. I’m looking forward to the massive anime audience going through the same farmland saga fights.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The people who don't like farmland saga must have been reading a completely different series than I was.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can see someone maybe getting discouraged reading it during its run, but being able to binge it it's a great time. Same with like, some arcs in one piece and attack on titan that are slogs during the weekly/monthly run but are great when powered through

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I’ll admit it was very weird reading farmland saga as it came out. The message in those chapters was really good, but I couldn’t really handle the mystery. I didn’t know if it would be farmland forever or not.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
OTP

Bjorn and Askeladd's relationship always gets to me. Bjorn just wants to form a bond with such a charismatic man and Askeladd refuses it up until the end because of how much he(understandably) hates all vikings.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The people who don't like farmland saga must have been reading a completely different series than I was.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
It's incredible how enthusiastically some people refuse to accept that Vinland Saga's message is that viking society was built upon cycles of violence and this was a terrible thing, that Thorfinn and his crew's entire motivation is to escape that society. You look at people talking about every new chapter and most people are all into it and get it, for sure, but then there's always like one or two people that go "man vinland saga sucks now because thorfinn won't murder anyone anymore". Like, aggressively missing the point.

It's kind of hilarious in its own way.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

It looks like the first THREE eps of Vinland saga are on prime video now :o
Its dope

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Its me, its me, recommending an anime to people i know for once
I just hope it isnt weird or creepy

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Just as a heads up, rape and pillage is a thing that gets addressed in the Manga so if they are sensitive to that sort of content I’d give a heads up.

Obviously I dunno how that’ll be broached in the anime, but things were pretty gnarly (early manga spoilers) when thorfinn is traveling with askeladd and his band .

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I think changing the start of the story is probably a good choice overall for the tone, but I do miss not having the lead in with Thorfinn's duel and the scene with the slave on the boat before getting to the flashback.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I would rather have the manga adapted as-is, but that's nearly always the case.

I mean odds are we're not going to get The Longboat Shot.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
We better loving get The Longboat Shot.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just don't see them dropping the pilot chapter in the middle so!!!!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I only want to see my boy Thorkell dunking on some fools.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I was authentically surprised they dropped 3 eps at once. I've only watched the first 2 eps, but I'm guessing the third puts us on track with the beginning of the manga / Thorfin as a teen.

Given what I've heard of Wit's production issues I wonder how much of this is in the bag already. What's it airing like in Japan? Is it Amazon exclusive or what?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Billzasilver posted:

I’ll admit it was very weird reading farmland saga as it came out. The message in those chapters was really good, but I couldn’t really handle the mystery. I didn’t know if it would be farmland forever or not.

Vagabond is farmland forever.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Technically Vagabond died trying to teach literacy.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The first episode of the anime brought an important question to mind

Which is technically cleaner, water from a river, or melted snow?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

if vagabond ended right when the rice crops got finished it would have been a perfect place to end it, even if the other character's arc was still up in there air. too bad it got another how many chapters afterwards :v:

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 10, 2019

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

OnimaruXLR posted:

The first episode of the anime brought an important question to mind

Which is technically cleaner, water from a river, or melted snow?

Depends on the airborne contaminants, but in a setting like Vinland it's probably the snow.
River water often starts as snow runoff, anyways.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Sherlock Holmes: Tang Dynasty update!

https://mangadex.org/chapter/661318/1

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Epic mao mao ftw.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Started reading Vinland Saga again in anticipation of the show coming out, and I think I stopped reading around the end of gardars raid in farmland saga, the tension of the whole thing was killing me. Anyway, caught up last week and I was very impressed with the the whole arc once it finished and the newer adventure-y stuff has been a lot of fun so yeah, great.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
My dad's a big fan of anything having to do with the Viking Age and pre-Norman England, so getting him to watch Vinland Saga was an easy sell. Now he's hooked.

Does anyone know how frequently new episodes are being released? We're both eager for more Adventures of Thorfinn and Ashy Boi.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Not Important posted:

My dad's a big fan of anything having to do with the Viking Age and pre-Norman England, so getting him to watch Vinland Saga was an easy sell. Now he's hooked.

Does anyone know how frequently new episodes are being released? We're both eager for more Adventures of Thorfinn and Ashy Boi.

Weekly, but they're skipping this week and next week since the opening episodes were all dumped at once.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Oh ffs what was the point of dropping them all at once then.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

Oh ffs what was the point of dropping them all at once then.

Tennis, if I remember right. The network lost the timeslot for a couple weeks, so they decided to release them in a way that let them keep within the normal season.

Kind of irritating to have to wait so long, but so it goes.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Is that the same thing with jojo?

It’s just a bad idea to throw them out there with no additional info. People are def coming back for THE FINALE of part 5, but for a new show like Vinland it could really cut the legs out from under either their viewership numbers when there are no eps for two weeks in a row without a “continued 7/28!” or something.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

It’s not ideal, but a longform story like Vinland saga really benefits from having the first three episodes all available at once. If it’s any consolation, the ash-man fight in episode 4 will be really good and important. We might even get new content that wasn’t even in the manga.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I mean... that's usually called filler, so I'm not sure how to feel. The only time I've really appreciated it has been with David Studio and jojo.

I keep current on Vinland and love it dearly. It just seems like a misstep to not either air those episode one at a time, week to week or release the three a couple weeks later so regular eps are out after, like hulu does.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Surely it's only usually called filler when it exists to pad a series out because they're in increasing danger of catching up to the source material? It's not really filler if it's additional content that's supposed to serve or benefit the scene?

Though I'll agree that it sucks that they dumped three episodes at once, but only because I'm impatient and have to wait.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
There was a new chapter of Otoyomegatari, still the quiet travel chapters

CrashScreen posted:

Surely it's only usually called filler when it exists to pad a series out because they're in increasing danger of catching up to the source material? It's not really filler if it's additional content that's supposed to serve or benefit the scene?

Though I'll agree that it sucks that they dumped three episodes at once, but only because I'm impatient and have to wait.
A lot of the additions to the Naruto anime after a while were meant to expand on character backstories and motivations as well as flesh out aspects of the ninja world. I still call it filler myself. Really, there's no reason for a series with as much content going forward as Vinland Saga to have anything additional added because there's no risk of catching up.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Without getting into spoilers, the new content is supposedly going to be very important. I view it more as the author getting a second chance at making changes to the story ten years after the manga started.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Where is this information coming from (blog twitter what?)

If it’s rejiggering certain elements like they did in AoT for clarity at the authors behest that’s all well and good.

But let’s none of us forget that “directors cut” type material can be exceptionally lovely too.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DamnGlitch posted:

But let’s none of us forget that “directors cut” type material can be exceptionally lovely too.

The longboats will now have AT-STs on them.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

Where is this information coming from (blog twitter what?)

If it's rejiggering certain elements like they did in AoT for clarity at the authors behest that's all well and good.

But let's none of us forget that "directors cut" type material can be exceptionally lovely too.
There's a reupload of the last chapter of Vinland Saga out now that has a long, very good extra segment on the authors visit to a voice recording session for the anime. Adolescent Thorfinn will apparently not have any lines until episode 7...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj9vnoCTTpc
They uploaded a video of a discussion between the director, producer and character designer. They mention they wanted to expand on the bond between Thorkell and Asgeir. I always liked Asgeir even if he only has a couple of moments in the whole manga so that's cool.