Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rivens make weapons even more powerful than they are without one so they're definitely not there to balance the challenge in the game, whatever else they may be trying to do.

McKilligan posted:

So I'm experimenting with Mewan builds

14% or more base crit is good enough for a Blood Rush/Condition Overload hybrid - 14% base gets you a 75% Blood Rush crit chance at a 2.5x combo mult. The 10% with Ekwana II Ruhang gives only a 50% BR crit chance at 2.5x, see the table on the blood rush wiki page.

Try Mewan - Seekalla - Ekwana Jai II for a 14% crit / 25% status zaw (my first zaw!). It's also 25% faster than Ekwana II Ruhang which is very good for applying status quickly.

If you're using Naramon and skipping Drifting Contact (+40% status), you'll need 3 of the 60/60 status mods to get that status to where it's proccing quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

not true

rivens, as bizarre and wrong-headed as this admittedly is, are in fact a balance mechanism

really bad one yes

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Moreau posted:

You know, despite all the amazing stuff that dropped yesterday (totally worth getting up at 4am for), I think it was the few tidbits dropped about New Wars plot direction that excited me most

The reveal of Natah's brother, and the implication that New War will be about her choice between her blood family and her logical family

Natah should listen to Roky more.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
They should add more weapon-class specific mods. At the moment, all of the stats that can be altered by mods are rather straightforward and rarely change how the weapon behaves or how it is used. A gas round feels like a corrosive rounds which feels like a blast round. I'd like to see mods that can drastically affect how a gun feels or handles, like the Arcanes do for zaws and kitguns. Mods that can give more options for weapons that are more or less static, but function more as sidegrades than improvements. I'd like to see options for more variety than 'do I build for stat or crit'.

Rifles
  • Heavy slugs for a damage bonus at extremely close ranges, falloff outside of a maximum range, or the opposite -
  • Bullets that 'accelerate' (even if actually just hitscan) that deal more damage from further away.
  • The option for hitscan vs projectile rounds.
  • Bouncing rounds are always fun, and should be an option for every rifle.
  • Harpoon rounds that stick enemies to walls that cost 50% fire rate and halve the magazine.

Pistols could get more mods that function like the kitgun arcanes -
  • Mods that reward consecutive headshots or highlight vulnerable areas like Banshee on enemies that you've scanned for Simaris.
  • Mods that give increased damage on the last bullet in a clip.
  • Stacking damage bonuses (up to a maximum) as long as you don't miss.
  • A mod that gives a universal damage buff and/or causes nearby enemies to flee if you perform a coup-de-grace on an enemy, killing them with a secondary when they have < 20% health (as long as another weapon dealt damage first). Related -
  • Secondary Execution animations, dependant on whether you have your melee or secondary out at the moment. Or tap for a melee finisher, hold for a secondary finisher or vice-versa.
  • Mods for 'kneecapping' that make enemies vulnerable to finishers if shot in specific locations. Go all John-Wick on a Nox by capping it first, then walking up and shanking it.

Bows could get cool bonuses like the Daikyu just got for headshots, which I love-
  • Arrows that do extra damage after punchthrough, so you want to try to line enemies up.
  • Arrows that can confer specific, unique statuses, like magus lockdown, sleep, distraction holograms, or persistent AOE zones like cold, gas, or fire that stick around for a little while. This might creep into Ivara territory, but there's plenty of things that wouldn't infringe upon her domain.
  • Bomb arrows with a delay that cause a target to run towards it's allies and THEN explode.

SMGs
  • A stacking damage bonus for how many different enemies you hit in a period of time, so you're encouraged to rapidly switch targets, stacks which individually end when each target dies. That would encourage players to try to tag as many enemies as possible in a short period of time to boost their damage.
  • A mod that makes bullets automatically home towards enemies, allowing you to spray around corners at the cost of a slot that could be used for a damage boost.
  • Able to use both the Short/Long range ammo options like for rifles, and the Kneecapping mods for secondaries.
And if a weapon already uses one of those unique gimmicks it can be exempted from that particular mod, easy peasy.

I also DESPERATELY want a frame or melee weapon that can grab an enemy and use their ragdolled corpse as a weapon.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 8, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

McKilligan posted:

Bomb arrows that cause a target to run towards it's allies and THEN explode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA1avIlelTU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So what I'm hearing is they should add the Cerebral Bore from Turok 2 and give it that ability to make them Kamikaze towards enemies. Weapon augs are really cool and they add an extra bit of flavour to a weapon and I agree they should add more, they're doing a good job with them imo, it's just a bit slow.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

If I could add anything to the game it would be deeper stealth mechanics. Every time I go I to the plains I suddenly want to play like its MGSV, take my time and crawl around getting intel/interrogating people.

One of the things I'm burnt out on is the standard style of play being to rush and finish everything as quickly as possible. I love to do solo plains and intentionally stay on foot so as to make the experience last. Same with ghosting spy missions.

Spudd posted:

So what I'm hearing is they should add the Cerebral Bore from Turok 2 and give it that ability to make them Kamikaze towards enemies.

Weird stuff like this is also good.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

The right choice was made.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

TheMostFrench posted:

One of the things I'm burnt out on is the standard style of play being to rush and finish everything as quickly as possible.

Everyone, eventually, is speedrunning because on your 500th bounty you're listening to podcasts or watching tv anyway while you drearily delete enemies because if you don't do that you don't get Wukong Prime. It's not a lack of stealth in the game - that certainly exists - it's just that optimizing for speed is naturally what happens when you tell someone to repeat the same content forever. Human problem not game problem, etc.

You'd have to contrive a ruleset that forces people to be extremely slow and then A) you'd get feedback worse than the 2019 Nightwave FOMO Crisis and B) no one would ever run it unless they were absolutely 100% forced to.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
There's plenty of stuff in warframe i take at my own relaxed pace instead of regarding it as an optimization/speedrun problem, regardless how often i've done it. Having some variety in the pacing actually helps counter the tedium. It's mostly a strong disparity within a squad that tends to cause some friction.

Whether you consider the dangling carrots "forcing people" the main core/challenge of the game with the path through "gameplay" to get them a necessary, and ideally minimized, obnoxious evil or if the dangling carrots are just a nice side bonus for enjoying various stuff in the game you like anyway is a different question.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The friction is the reason it’s a problem. I normally see that in syndicate missions, where some people want to blast through and others want to medallion hunt. I also had one guy roll in to the Void capture mission that attempted to comb the entire map for Argon Crystals (I say attempted because the rest of the team extracted). It’s cool if people want to stop and smell the flowers, but if I have a limited amount of time to play and have a specific goal in mind, then how do we resolve that?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kokoro Wish posted:

Tenno Con Done Quick was a little weird this year but I liked it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

The friction is the reason it’s a problem. I normally see that in syndicate missions, where some people want to blast through and others want to medallion hunt. I also had one guy roll in to the Void capture mission that attempted to comb the entire map for Argon Crystals (I say attempted because the rest of the team extracted). It’s cool if people want to stop and smell the flowers, but if I have a limited amount of time to play and have a specific goal in mind, then how do we resolve that?

the solution is to simply play solo when you want to explore the map. it's quite unlikely that 3 complete strangers will cooperate, especially since so few people in wf communicate at all during missions.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
rewatching the live play segement, and I have speculations (for now)

The Host Matters: even more now, not only the mods on the hosts Rail Jack, but also his skill in flying and calling in Squad Links

Every Archwing has Blink but No Archwing on PoE/Fortuna: Team Fish uses K-Drives and runs to the objective

Squadlinks Have Rewards: I really fear this will be a unique rescource grind for either a Warframe or similar, to encourage people to idle on the Plains or wherever this occurs.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the solution is to simply play solo when you want to explore the map. it's quite unlikely that 3 complete strangers will cooperate, especially since so few people in wf communicate at all during missions.

I didn't get the achievement for "hero of Pluto" (or whatever it's called) until like the fourth time I did that assassination mission, because it wasn't until then that I managed to see the boss before he died and also figure out how to get to the extraction point. (I get lost really easily.)

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Mailer posted:

Everyone, eventually, is speedrunning because on your 500th bounty you're listening to podcasts or watching tv anyway while you drearily delete enemies because if you don't do that you don't get Wukong Prime. It's not a lack of stealth in the game - that certainly exists - it's just that optimizing for speed is naturally what happens when you tell someone to repeat the same content forever. Human problem not game problem, etc.

I totally agree that it's a human problem. I have 2000 hours in this game but I still have 3 uncompleted quests, and haven't done most of the stuff on Fortuna. I got my first floof last month. I guess it's a weird spot to be in because I love the gameplay of Warframe, but I'm kind of over racing to get new stuff, so I try to create my own experiences. There are times where I was definitely the one sprinting way ahead and killing bosses before people even got to see them, but I don't enjoy that so much now.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gonna get back into this.

How is Wisp? I have a fuckton of plat burning a hole in my space pockets and don't have time to grind.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wisp is an amazing team buffer who eventually gets hosed over when enough nullifiers spawn. nullifiers do that to a lot of frames, though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Her buffs buff guns though, in a way that makes taking down nulls nice and easy.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Well, I would be playing if the updater would push past 40/kbs.

...christ.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

tennocon made a lot of people come back to check stuff out.

at the same time

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I was stunned that it only took an hour to download the post-Tennocon update that night. Hard memories of the almighty 4kbps I was getting when Fortuna released.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Playing solo is definitely an option for people that want to explore, and I often do that for medallion hunts. I just don’t like the missions (like medallion hunts) where there are such starkly different ways to play. Warframe does have a few examples of queueing for intent (Eidolon bounties, Orbs) but those are mostly on open world bosses where it’d be untenable otherwise.

And yeah nobody ever communicates, and then they get mad at you for not doing what they wanted. 9 times out of 10 I’ll help people out if they just tell me what they want to do.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Can you see other solo players in the open world parts or still just who's in your party?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Can you see other solo players in the open world parts or still just who's in your party?

If you are solo in open world, it will only be you out there. No drop in/out, unfortunately.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hot Karl Marx posted:

The latter

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
'open world' just means very large 4 person instances. there are the hubs, but that's mostly just 10 copies of the exact same chroma with the oversized heavy blade skin hanging out afk around konzu.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Inzombiac posted:

If you are solo in open world, it will only be you out there. No drop in/out, unfortunately.

Technically, this isn't true. If you go into an open world area, people can join your squad and leave if you have it set for Public, but you don't see people outside of those that joined your squad.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tennospotting in social areas is great just to see the dumb/hilarious poo poo people call their solo clans.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

v1ld posted:

Rivens make weapons even more powerful than they are without one so they're definitely not there to balance the challenge in the game, whatever else they may be trying to do.
I think it also depends on the weapons and situational usage though. I now have fairly insane rivens for Dread and Paris Prime, and they still don't do as much damage per hit as an un-rivened Daikyu. But Daikyu is most effective when used with a stealthframe like Ivara or Loki - under normal usage the rivened Dread is probably better because the draw time is so much faster and therefore the sustained DPS is (probably) higher.

And going outside bows, there's no way I'm going to try to hit an Eidilon with Daikyu or wander round a survival or defense mission using it, rivened or not. Even Sniper Rifles are pretty much restricted to open world stuff otherwise you get mauled while you're trying to line up the shot.

So while some weapons are more powerful without rivens than with, it kind of depends on which weapon you're using and where you're using it. Like a Lenz is always going to do more single shot damage than a Braton, but if i'm heading into an infested mission, I want the Braton.

McKilligan posted:

[*]Bomb arrows with a delay that cause a target to run towards it's allies and THEN explode.

One of my favourite things about Destiny 2 bows was the delayed payload perk - you get the initial arrow hit, then explosive damage a second or so later. Plus the explosive damage is not affected by falloff, so you can use handguns at crazy ranges and still be pretty effective.

Kokoro Wish posted:

As a british person I demand another vote :colbert:

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Hot Karl Marx posted:

The "open world" thing is a bit misleading, its really just the usual mission map just a lot larger.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Inzombiac posted:

Gonna get back into this.

How is Wisp? I have a fuckton of plat burning a hole in my space pockets and don't have time to grind.

Don't waste plat on wisp, she's an incredibly easy farm.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nalesh posted:

Don't waste plat on wisp, she's an incredibly easy farm.

Too late!

Also, gently caress all my Wolf creds are gone?! I was hoping I could spend those since I left just before that event was over.

poo poo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wolf bux are only used for wolf prizes. This is a new event with new fake money!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah I see, I was just hoping that they'd let me still buy Wolf prizes with my funny money.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
DE kind of repeatedly said wolf creds would be useless after the event and to spend em while you got'em.

At least season 2 seems to be much easier on the grind so you can grab helms and stuff you missed last time without much work.

Orv
May 4, 2011

njsykora posted:

Tennospotting in social areas is great just to see the dumb/hilarious poo poo people call their solo clans.

The number of hardcore edgelord clan names is really something.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Avynte posted:

DE kind of repeatedly said wolf creds would be useless after the event and to spend em while you got'em.

At least season 2 seems to be much easier on the grind so you can grab helms and stuff you missed last time without much work.

I don't read and I certainly don't listen!!!!!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Inzombiac posted:

Wisp is my main frame I run with now. With 293 strength and Amalgam Serration she glides through maps beautifully until the game breaks and decides to give her the fast running animation without actually having feet. Oh, and she makes melee spin faster and guns eat through entire clips. Her biggest weakness is that even on maps where you're in one place for a bit (bounties, mobdef, eso, etc) you pretty much have to plant the flowers in the path of an oncoming player to get them to pick up the buffs.

Potential triple umbra target if you're willing to burn the forma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Wisp only has 150 armor, don't bother with Umbral Fiber.

There's a reasonable argument for not putting survivability mods on her at all, but if you do, Vitality + Adaptation will get you better results.