Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
Exactly one of two things is true either 1) Sanders can mind control the US Senate into abolishing the filibuster and his opinion on this matters or 2) He can't actually do that, and your insistence on bringing up this issue that doesn't directly help anyone is yet another distraction from real issues. Pick one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

twodot posted:

Exactly one of two things is true either 1) Sanders can mind control the US Senate into abolishing the filibuster and his opinion on this matters or 2) He can't actually do that, and your insistence on bringing up this issue that doesn't directly help anyone is yet another distraction from real issues. Pick one.

Why do you keep going to mind-control? I think if the Dems win the Presidency and the Senate (not likely, but not impossible), a strong-willed Dem President pushing hard could pressure the Senate into abolishing the filibuster.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

Why do you keep going to mind-control? I think if the Dems win the Presidency and the Senate (not likely, but not impossible), a strong-willed Dem President pushing hard could pressure the Senate into abolishing the filibuster.
Answer the question you coward.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

twodot posted:

Answer the question you coward.

Neither of those thing is true? Bernie doesn't have mind-control, but it's a major question in any 2020 Dem President's administration so it's not a distraction? "How will you deal with Republicans in the Senate" is like one of the absolute top questions any Dem should be answering?

If I said "Either Bernie has mind-control and can push M4A through, OR he doesn't and it's irrelevant so healthcare is a distraction", would you agree to that framing?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

Neither of those thing is true? Bernie doesn't have mind-control, but it's a major question in any 2020 Dem President's administration so it's not a distraction? "How will you deal with Republicans in the Senate" is like one of the absolute top questions any Dem should be answering?
You are a coward. Your stance is simultaneously that "Sanders couldn't convince McConnell to nominate judges, but could convince the Senate to nuke the filibuster". Your views have no value.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nobody is actually serious about ending the filibuster. The focus will be doing damage control on Donny for the next 8 years, re litigating his fights, and trying to score points.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

twodot posted:

You are a coward. Your stance is simultaneously that "Sanders couldn't convince McConnell to nominate judges, but could convince the Senate to nuke the filibuster". Your views have no value.

What? You're talking about two totally different non-comparable things. Sanders couldn't convince McConnell to nominate judges, because loving no Dem can ever convince McConnell. But convincing Dems to nuke the filibuster just requires putting pressure on fellow Dems, which Sanders could absolutely do. One of these tasks is wildly easier than the other.

There are exactly zero succ-Dems who have even 1/10th the ideological discipline or commitment to obstruction that McConnell has.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

What? You're talking about two totally different non-comparable things. Sanders couldn't convince McConnell to nominate judges, because loving no Dem can ever convince McConnell. But convincing Dems to nuke the filibuster
If Sanders can nuke the filibuster, then there is a Democratic majority, and no one on this planet needs to convince McConnell of anything. You coward. Answer the question.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

twodot posted:

If Sanders can nuke the filibuster, then there is a Democratic majority, and no one on this planet needs to convince McConnell of anything. You coward. Answer the question.

I genuinely have no idea what you're asking at this point

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

I genuinely have no idea what you're asking at this point
I know you don't you coward.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Gripweed posted:

It's not like any of the other Democrats would be able to accomplish their plans without the Senate. So why does it matter?

You just said it could be done with executive order. I'm asking, how?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

HannibalBarca posted:

The Hell of it is, would this even matter now? Aside from catharsis, anyway. The McConnell playbook isn't exactly a complicated one. Are we supposed to believe that it takes a uniquely indomitable strength of will to be an obstructionist jagoff as Senate leader, especially since it's proven now to be such a tremendous success?

It probably takes a true piece of poo poo like McConnell to think up and enact most of the more egregious poo poo they've been doing in the Senate. For instance, I don't think anyone else who might have been Majority Leader in 2016 would have simply refused to even talk to Obama's nominee for the Supreme Court. Of course, now that he's trail blazed new inroads into assholery, whoever takes over probably largely maintains. But, that depends on who gets the job and still limits new frontiers in assholery.

Like if Ted Cruz somehow takes over, then yeah, we get pure evil 24/7. On the other hand if Mitt Romeny manages to get the job then it'll probably be regular levels of douchebaggery. One of the perpetually very concerned Senators isn't going to have the drive to wake up and push the boundaries of evil every day. They just don't have the same passion for evil as ol' Mitch.

I think the "catching the vapors" contengent of the caucus is most likely to take over from Mitch at the moment. We still aren't so far gone as to have the Cotton, Lee, and Cruz contingent in ascendancy.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 8, 2019

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Z. Autobahn posted:

This thread is so wild because on the one hand it's like "Well Sanders' student loan forgiveness plan is better than Warrens', which makes Sanders a better candidate!" when neither plan will ever remotely pass the Senate, but then when faced with an actual actionable step that you could realistically get a bare majority to sign off on like abolishing the filibuster, suddenly it's "Well, jeez the President has no real power anyway, what is Sanders, a wizard?"

It's like pie-in-the-sky thinking is the metric for judging candidates right up until Sanders is weak on something, and then suddenly it's the Realism Squad on how it's fine he sucks because jeez that'll never happen anyway.

I believe abolishing the filibuster is a vastly more realistic and attainable outcome with a 50-Dem Senate than any of Sanders' signature issues.

Why would the center right agree to destroy the filibuster and why would Warren be uniquely the one to do it?

OctaMurk posted:

Weren't slavery and segregation ended by the political establishment though? In the case of the former--through war and battlefield necessity, and in the case of the latter, through supreme court cases?

I can't speak for slavery because my civil war era history is fuzzy as hell but segregation ended because people started turning left and getting very literally militant about ending it; That, and the US didn't want to look bad/unstable when compared to the USSR.

The political establishment didn't just suddenly decide to be nice to black people. They stalled, murdered, red baited, and generally fought tooth and nail against it until they finally had no choice.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Z. Autobahn posted:

I believe abolishing the filibuster is a vastly more realistic and attainable outcome with a 50-Dem Senate than any of Sanders' signature issues.

Cool, but OTOH you've been wrong about basically every prediction you've ever made ITT, so why the hell should anybody trust you on this one?

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Marxalot posted:

Why would the center right agree to destroy the filibuster and why would Warren be uniquely the one to do it?

Because generally speaking the defining trait of blue dog Dems is their spineless-ness and willingness to cave to pressure, and I don't think they'd be confident ideological holdouts over this in the face of a strong Presidential win? That said, Warren is by no means uniquely the one to do it; I believe several other Dems have said they would they end it as well.

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 8, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

This thread is so wild because on the one hand it's like "Well Sanders' student loan forgiveness plan is better than Warrens', which makes Sanders a better candidate!" when neither plan will ever remotely pass the Senate, but then when faced with an actual actionable step that you could realistically get a bare majority to sign off on like abolishing the filibuster, suddenly it's "Well, jeez the President has no real power anyway, what is Sanders, a wizard?"

It's like pie-in-the-sky thinking is the metric for judging candidates right up until Sanders is weak on something, and then suddenly it's the Realism Squad on how it's fine he sucks because jeez that'll never happen anyway.

Ending the filibuster isn't a goal or value in and of itself, though, while the other policies being mentioned are. And the president *does* have direct control over many other things (like closing detention centers and foreign policy) so this logic doesn't even hold for all issues.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CelestialScribe posted:

How could you accomplish M4A without the Senate?

Literally. What are the details of how this could be accomplished?

Abolish the senate at bayonet point :shrug:

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Potato Salad posted:

Abolish the senate at bayonet point :shrug:
On the one hand it DOES have some historical precedent.

On the other hand, is America really ready for a Jewish Emperor?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tibalt posted:

On the one hand it DOES have some historical precedent.

On the other hand, is America really ready for a Jewish Emperor?

Soros or Sanders?

E: or Kushner?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Failed Imagineer posted:

Soros or Sanders?

E: or Kushner?
Citizen Sanders promoting himself to Emperor.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tibalt posted:

Sounds good to me

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Tibalt posted:

First Consul.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Z. Autobahn posted:

If Bernie got hit by a bus tomorrow, the Tlaib's and AOCs would keep fighting and growing. And they'll keep fighting and growing regardless of whether or not he wins. TBH the single most important thing that can happen to help the ascendant left is passing an HR-1 style voting rights bill which luckily even the most dogshit Dem will do.

So your argument is that Mitch McConnell won't let Bernie appoint any judges so there's no point in voting for him, but also that any Democrat will pass HR-1 through McConnell's Senate so it doesn't matter who wins.

And I'm supposed to take you seriously? What exactly is going to stop McConnell from refusing to vote on (if he has a majority) or filibustering (if not) HR-1? What, his deep commitment to bipartisanship and representative democracy?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

VitalSigns posted:

So your argument is that Mitch McConnell won't let Bernie appoint any judges so there's no point in voting for him, but also that any Democrat will pass HR-1 through McConnell's Senate so it doesn't matter who wins.

And I'm supposed to take you seriously? What exactly is going to stop McConnell from refusing to vote on (if he has a majority) or filibustering (if not) HR-1? What, his deep commitment to bipartisanship and representative democracy?

They will need to nuke the filibuster to pass HR-1. I agree with you.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

First drop out incoming

https://mobile.twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1148073531038679040

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Bummer. I liked his dropping shade on Biden. It'll be a shame to see him go. Hopefully he gets one last stab at Biden at his conference today.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
RIP Eric Swalwell, thought of the presidency and died

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Solkanar512 posted:

We already had a chat about this, quit acting like an ableist piece of poo poo. I literally have family members with compromised immune systems that would be seriously hurt by her bullshit.

There are a lot of people in the world who will be seriously hurt by the imperialist bullshit coming from the vast majority of the people in this primary, and I think having an additional voice in there pointing out that American imperialism is loving evil is good.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

We already had a chat about this, quit acting like an ableist piece of poo poo. I literally have family members with compromised immune systems that would be seriously hurt by her bullshit.

But enough about Pete Buttigieg

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

There are a lot of people in the world who will be seriously hurt by the imperialist bullshit coming from the vast majority of the people in this primary, and I think having an additional voice in there pointing out that American imperialism is loving evil is good.

Sorry that people with compromised immune systems are just "too tedious" for you. Do you have similar issues with folks in wheelchairs?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

SKULL.GIF loathes people with disabilities, they're notorious for it in other forums. Attempts to dissuade or convince them fall on deaf ears.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Solkanar512 posted:

Sorry that people with compromised immune systems are just "too tedious" for you. Do you have similar issues with folks in wheelchairs?

Should we count veterans of needless wars who are missing legs or do they not count

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wasn't he the last person to declare?

I could be thinking of one of the other 30 indistinguishable white guys though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Solkanar512 posted:

wild posting, just wild

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Solkanar512 posted:

Buddy, when you pull the old trick of pretending that your arbitrarily chosen issue is the only one that matters, you should make sure that the other issue you're trying to dismiss isn't objectively a million times more harmful than the one you want to push. Because that makes you look like an idiot as well as a real rear end in a top hat.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Williamson isn’t more anti-vax than most candidates, yet people will 100% give Biden or Harris a pass on the topic while declaring Williamson should be banned from the debates over a comment she retracted and apologized for.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gyges posted:

Wasn't he the last person to declare?

I could be thinking of one of the other 30 indistinguishable white guys though.
One of the last. DeBlasio was a late one and now we have Steyer getting in

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Trabisnikof posted:

Williamson isn’t more anti-vax than most candidates, yet people will 100% give Biden or Harris a pass on the topic while declaring Williamson should be banned from the debates over a comment she retracted and apologized for.

She's not a serious candidate. Her in the debates is a waste of everyone's time.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

She's not a serious candidate. Her in the debates is a waste of everyone's time.

That's true for everyone who isn't in the top 5. So if we're wasting everyone's time with Yang or Hickenlooper or Ryan, having Williamson is a good thing since her message is better than than all the other non-serious candidates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeionSanders/status/1147958751552507904

Prime Time with the truth.