Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

The biggest difference is bowden extruders. My linear advance is up to 1.25 and the corners are looking better. Should I give up on linear advance and go back to retraction/deretraction? Most of the guides say "if you can't get it working by 0.85 then it's not for you."

I'd keep pushing it until it gets to a point you're happy with, or until something goes obviously wrong -- it's not going to cause any catastrophic damage.

I started to write a post explaining what happens as you bring the compensation up, but remembered that the Marlin devs already have a good explanation:

quote:

In v1.5 ... LIN_ADVANCE will now check if it can execute the advance steps as needed. If the needed extruder speed exceeds the extruder jerk limit, it will reduce the print acceleration for the line printed to a value which keeps the extruder speed within the limit.

While you will most likely not run into this on direct drive printers with filaments like PLA, it will happen most likely on bowden printers as they need higher K values and therefore faster speed adaptions. If this happens to an amount you don’t want to accept, you have the following options:

Check your extruder jerk setting. If you have the feeling it is set to a very conservative value, try increasing it.
Keep the extruder acceleration low. This can be achieved by lowering the layer height or line width for example
Keep K as low as possible. Maybe you can shorten the bowden tube?

A note on bowden printers vs. LIN_ADVANCE

A quite common note during development of LIN_ADVANCE was that bowden systems (and especially delta printers) are meant to be faster due to the lower moving mass. So lowering the print acceleration as described above would be an inadequate solution. On the other hand, bowden systems need a pressure advance feature the most as they usually have the most problems with speed changes.

Well, LIN_ADVANCE was developed because I (Sebastianv650) wasn’t satisfied by the print quality I got out of my direct drive printer. While it’s a possible point of view to say that lowering acceleration on a bowden printer (which is meant to be fast) is a bad thing, I see it differently: if you would be satisfied with the print quality your bowden setup gives you, you wouldn’t be reading about a way to do pressure corrections, isn’t it? So maybe in this case the highest possible top speed is quite useless.. Bowdens are an option to keep moving mass low and therefore allowing higher movement speeds, but don’t expect them to give the same precise filament laydown ability than a direct drive one. It’s like painting a picture: try to paint with a 1m long brush, grabing the rear end of the handle which is made from rubber. Even if you try to compensate for the wobbly brush tip (which is basically what LIN_ADVANCE does), it will never be as good as using a usual brush. On the other hand, if you only need to have a part printed fast without special needs in terms of quality, there is no reason to enable LIN_ADVANCE at all. For those prints, you can just set K to 0.

Klipper's implementation of the feature may differ. For instance, if it doesn't take the extruder jerk value into account as discussed in the first paragraph up there, then setting your k-factor too high might mean you're attempting to drive the motor faster than it can reasonably accelerate the filament across that long path, and you'll end up stripping filament or jamming the system. Try the solutions they suggest. I personally am not a fan of bowden extruders; the combination of a well-designed geared extruder like a Titan and a 20mm pancake stepper gives you plenty of torque in a lightweight, compact package, so I don't really see the benefit of moving the drive system offboard. Worth considering the upgrade if you're running into problems with a bowden setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

Worth considering the upgrade if you're running into problems with a bowden setup.

If i'd wanted to pay for upgrades, i would have just bought a prusa :P

1.35 linadv works great. Tuning in retract/layer retract now. I thought linadv made it so retract was always 0 (NOT WITH BOWDEN).

Also printing at 240mm/s with klipper. Up from 100mm/s on marlin. My Y motor is officially getting hot now, and I think I'm going to say this is my limit.

For reference, I had been printing at 35mm/s before and getting "ok" prints. Now at 240mm/s my prints are "good."

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
LOL if you think your machine achieves that speed for longer than a fraction of a second at any given point in a print.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

AgentCow007 posted:

For sure... I was trolling for the most part since I've seen that video and I wouldn't mind owning one, but that was my first impression. I keep a spreadsheet to keep track of how close I've gotten to spending a Prusa's worth on my Ender 3. If you only count the mods I've kept (EZABL, DD mod, 5015s, and eventually EZboard) I'm still not doing bad at all at $475 including printer.

Which hourly wage are you using to get such a low number?

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Dr Hemulen posted:

I've fired myself several times already, but security hasn't been able to keep me off the premises.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Dr Hemulen posted:

Hobby time is not the same as billable hours to most people, and many of us enjoy the tinkering as much as the actual printing.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Dr Hemulen posted:

Gonna need to see your privacy policy and have you just quick sign this NDA before can answer that, I'm sure you understand

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Anybody using Klipper? I decided to convert my farm to it and now I'm lost because this was a dumb decision.

It prints ... but I'm hoping to add features. I'm looking for runtime-adjustable stepper amperage (RAMBo 1.3), filament runout detection, and possibly "baseline" config files (I have 6x printers, I'd like the major settings common and printer-specific settings overridden, like PID values / exact Z homing distances, etc).

Are there any killer features I'm not using, having come from the Marlin world?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
You mean software-adjustable? You can configure TMC driver currents via software, yea. Check the example-extras.cfg file for that in the tmc_* sections. The RAMBo 1.3 is listed with A4982s, tho.

--edit: Oh that board has digipots to the A4982s. Not sure about these.
--edit2: If it's AD5206 pots, there's a section in the examples-extras.cfg with the same name.
--edit3: Oh yea, the schematic says it uses that one. So I guess you can do it after all.

Filament run-out detection should be doable. I've spotted people on the Voron Discord talking about exactly that a few days ago. The examples-extra.cfg has a section for that, too, in the filament_switch_sensor section.

Can't do file includes in configuration files. Yet. I suppose you could submit a request for that over on the Github. On the other hand, you can override things like PIDs, pressure advance, and a bunch of more I can't recall, via G-Code. If the hardware is the same between printers, you could create a G-Code macro for each printer and call it in the print start section of the slicer accordingly. The master branch has additional support for variables and this Jinja2 stuff to use with macros.

insta posted:

Are there any killer features I'm not using, having come from the Marlin world?
The macro stuff is getting pretty versatile, so if you want to do really fancy stuff, you can sort of script it. It can do multi-controller, with certain restrictions (like endstops and stepper of a given axis need to be on the same board, same applies for thermistors and heating elements). The Voron 2.x run the Z axis and GLCD on a separate controller.

Other than that, it just lays down filament like any other firmware.

The kinematic system is kinda nice. Easy to extend, if necessary. There's S-curve motion planning on the backburner. The actual motion code in the patch is just like 50 lines of code.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 6, 2019

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Have any of the Prusa owners used any hardware that didn't come factory with the printer? I have a viki2 just sitting in a box that I could use, wondering if it's worth the time and energy. (Or if anyone wants to buy it..)

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Acid Reflux posted:

Hobby time is not the same as billable hours to most people, and many of us enjoy the tinkering as much as the actual printing.

Absolutely. But some of us have very limited hobby time, so those hours become precious.

People should just be aware that the cost is more than monetary when getting into this. If you like to spend time tinkering and learning to repair and upgrade printers that's fair. I just want to print stuff and spend my time trying to design things and learn about that side of the hobby.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
3d printing has always had a certain amount of "you don't HAVE to tune and endlessly fiddle your printer, you GET to!" :haw:

I get what you're saying because that part isn't some exciting learning opportunity to me, it's just busywork I could do without, but some people really dig it.

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

Playing around with a .2mm nozzle some more. Each head took 3ish hours at .04mm layer height on my CR10S. These are 6 inch tall figures, so it turned out pretty good I think.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

The Eyes Have It posted:

3d printing has always had a certain amount of "you don't HAVE to tune and endlessly fiddle your printer, you GET to!" :haw:

I get what you're saying because that part isn't some exciting learning opportunity to me, it's just busywork I could do without, but some people really dig it.
I get that. I like fiddling with stuff to an extent, but once I've gotten to the point where I have to fiddle around with each print it starts to get old.

I like my Ender 3 and have pretty much maxed it out to where I want it, but finally made the decision and will be eating Goldbären soon.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Have any of the Prusa owners used any hardware that didn't come factory with the printer? I have a viki2 just sitting in a box that I could use, wondering if it's worth the time and energy. (Or if anyone wants to buy it..)

I have not, because when poo poo isn't broken, I don't fix it.

That said, someone clearly has. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2070594

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Just got my Elegoo Mars DLP printer from amazon for $250. Resin is $25/500ml which isn't too bad honestly. Looking forward to setting it up and seeing my very first 3d print.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
https://youtu.be/yrYQp-3GUTY
I just got this core x y printer and I get this clicking when the filament can't feed apparently. I've tried different filaments and I have upped the temperature but it still clicks often. Any ideas? Sometimes it starts clicking when the printhead is moved far away from the side of the printer that has the filament tube.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The lever is moving when it clicks. You sure the bearing pressing against the drivegear isn't just hosed?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's definitely clicking because the filament isn't feeding. The bearing problem noted above is one potential cause. Other reasons:

- temperature is too low to extrude properly (solution: increase temperature, check hotend temperature to ensure it's reporting accurately)
- heat is soaking up to the cold side of the hotend and causing filament plugs (solution: better hotend cooling)
- filament is swollen and getting stuck (solution: dry filament before printing, use better filament)
- nozzle is clogged with junk (clear nozzle with wire, do a few cold pulls, replace nozzle, put a dust cover over your printer and filament)
- filament is getting stuck somewhere along the bowden path (simplify path, remove sharp bends and obstructions, check for any places it could get hung up)
- motor is not getting enough power (turn up current on stepper driver)
- motor plug is getting pulled out as the head moves and you're briefly losing one phase (reroute wires so they have plenty of slack, check connectors)
- motor is not powerful enough (switch to geared extruder for more torque)

Personally I've dealt with enough stupid ungeared 1:1 extruders that only just barely develop the torque required for printing that I would put in a Titan before trying anything else. That click-click-click-click is infuriating to me and if I can just power through it you're drat right that's what I'm gonna do. The 1:1 extruder is the only thing about the Prusa that still bugs me a little bit (but they have chosen their motor and current settings well so I've never had one of theirs give me problems).

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 8, 2019

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
https://youtu.be/OKbekYCFSUs
I'm thinking it is a weak extruder. It starts clicking as the printhead moves further away.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

First thing to check is to pop off the nozzle and bowden and see if it's clogging.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My 1 week / <20 hours print time old Prusa MK3S gives me "THERMAL RUNAWAY" errors, twice in a row now.

Any idea what causes this, and what's Prusa's support like? Contacted them through their on-site form.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Thermal runaway = 'I've applied power to the heater but the temp isn't going up'

Generally, it means your thermistor isn't reading correctly. Either its connection to the mainboard is dodgy, or it's not making good contact with the heater block. It could also just be going bad.

Check connections and mounting, and then failing that, get a new thermistor.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

AlexDeGruven posted:

Thermal runaway = 'I've applied power to the heater but the temp isn't going up'

Or, "Temp dropped more than 15C, bailing." in the case of Prusa.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bolind posted:

Or, "Temp dropped more than 15C, bailing." in the case of Prusa.

Also valid. Basically "Something happened with the temperature that I don't like and I'm shutting down so I don't burn the house down"

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
It's probably a dodgy connection or damaged wire. Prusa will set you up quickly.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Ughh used a filament spool I hadn't used in forever and discovered it got looped/whatever and it bound up.

I think I cleared it but you can never be sure it's clear, you know?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Well, you can ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrPZWijkPZ4

I'm a retard when filming, but the idea is you get a bunch of loops off the side of the spool, then re-wind it back on.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
Ok, I feel like a drat fool. I'm trying to calibrate my extruder steps but whenever I run "G1 E100 F100", I get ~100mm of extruded filament, and use only a couple mm of feed filament. I've tried running in relative mode, running in absolute mode and zeroing the extruder beforehand but no dice. I feel like I'm missing something obvious here. I'm running the default 1.1.4 marlin that comes with a wanhao d9/monoprice maker pro.

poo poo was printing perfectly fine up until today when suddenly I could no longer get a first layer that wasn't a spaghetti mess. I tried re-leveling a bunch of times, but it seems to be consistently under-extruding even though I haven't made any changes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Your e-steps must be just way off and it's a coincidence that about 100mm comes out of the nozzle. 1.75mm filament has about 20x the area of your 0.4mm nozzle, so 100mm of extrusion means 5mm of raw filament.

Multiply your current e-step value by 20 and test it again.

You can verify that the machine is interpreting things correctly by doing G92 E0 ; M114 to check that it's zeroed; G1 E100 F300; M114 again to check that the extruder thinks it's at 100mm.

(Note the F300 -- that's my preferred feedrate for extruder test moves. Any 40-watt extruder in good shape should be able to melt filament at 15mm^3/s with zero issues, so might as well save yourself the time. You will notice that the extrusion is much fatter than the slower move due to molecular compression but that doesn't mean anything is wrong.)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 9, 2019

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Any 40-watt extruder in good shape should be able to melt filament at 15mm^3/s with zero issues, so might as well save yourself the time.
I'll disagree with this, especially when you're trying to calibrate your extrusion steps. The amount of filament that can be melted is very highly dependent on material, extruder design, and most importantly temperature. Even before you notice the material getting chewed up by the drive gear or the stepper slipping, you'll be moving less filament. I've never seen an official number on how much mm3/s an E3Dv6 can push, but I'd put it closer to 10mm3/s without having to run overly hot to compensate. Here's some testing I did comparing temperature and feed rate to see how much filament came out when I requested the same amount, but at different speeds on a volcano. Note that at 300mm/min, I get less material out than 99% (margin of error +/- 1%) if the temperature is too low.

Note about temperatures in this graph: The temperature reported by my hotend at that time was about 10-15C too high, it's a pretty old screenshot. That doubly reinforces my point though, that one shouldn't assume that "any 40W extruder" performs up to all expectations.

The purist way to do it is to calibrate the extrusion steps without a nozzle on at all, since then all you're measuring is the filament feed and not that it all came out the nozzle. I don't go that far, but I do run the nozzle at the max temperature for the material type and use F100 to minimize the above error. Especially when calibrating a machine I know nothing about at all, I wouldn't make assumptions about its performance. Of course, there's something to be said for tuning your E-steps tuning at your print temperature and volumetric print speed, but that's far too much work for me. I won't even take my nozzle off.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 9, 2019

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

If you can't afford a prusa the Sainsmart branded Creality Ender 3 is $160 on woot today. Mine's still really good although there is always some tweaking to do when you buy one.
https://www.woot.com/offers/sainsmart-x-creality-ender-3-3d-printer-10

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

CapnBry posted:

Even before you notice the material getting chewed up by the drive gear or the stepper slipping, you'll be moving less filament.

So the filament just vanishes from existence or???

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BMan posted:

So the filament just vanishes from existence or???

It's just not feeding as much. It's already slipping, but not enough to easily notice.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm not really sure about your experimental setup. How are you getting more than 100% of the filament out that you put in? You must be including oozing in the figure I guess? And why did you jump directly from 210C to 230C? And if your temperatures are all off by 10-15 degrees, it means that only the hottest values there are appropriate PLA temperatures, and everything else is obviously too cold. And a Volcano is a different situation from a standard nozzle anyway. And how did you determine that your error figure is +/- 1%?

I mean sure, extrude slower if you like; it's not going to hurt anything and it may infinitesimally increase accuracy. I have empirically found that up to 300mm/min works for PLA in an E3Dv6 at normal temperatures (210) and doesn't have any significant inaccuracies, which is actually consistent with your own data and its error.

e: mm/min. 300mm/s does not work anywhere i've tried

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 9, 2019

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
I ended up factory resetting and attempted another print. First layer was still butts but not quite as butts as before, so I have no loving clue what's going on. Manual extrude commands still confound me and don't seem to actually extrude the desired amount of feed filament but prints seems to work. I did notice that M200 is reporting a filament diameter of 3mm even though I'm using 1.75mm filament. Volumetric extrusion isn't something I need to worry about unless I enable it in my slicer, right?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Do an M503 to read your current e-step settings and verify it's not something totally wacky.

Heat the nozzle to printing temperature. Make a mark on the filament where it goes into the nozzle.

G92 E0
G1 E100 F100 (fine, go slowly)
M114

Check that the e-position is 100.

Make a mark on the filament where it is, then eject it. Measure the difference between the two points.

Calculate a conversion factor if the value is wrong, multiply that by the e-steps you saw with M503, set it with M92 Exxx.xx, save with M500, verify with M503, then run the length test again.

Where in this process is your system failing?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Rexxed posted:

If you can't afford a prusa the Sainsmart branded Creality Ender 3 is $160 on woot today. Mine's still really good although there is always some tweaking to do when you buy one.
https://www.woot.com/offers/sainsmart-x-creality-ender-3-3d-printer-10

So the only difference is the branding?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
He forgot to mention he’s using a 2mm nozzle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

bolind posted:

My 1 week / <20 hours print time old Prusa MK3S gives me "THERMAL RUNAWAY" errors, twice in a row now.

Any idea what causes this, and what's Prusa's support like? Contacted them through their on-site form.

I've only got a MK2.5S, but right after I did the upgrade to S I discovered that the new hotend fan shroud was so good at cooling that on large flat PLA prints at 100% fan speed the hotend couldn't keep up with all the reflected cool air. I turned on the dynamic cooling option and set the low speed to 75%, high and bridging speed to 100% and have had no issues since.