Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drrockso20 posted:

Also in other news Gundam Battle Operation 2 is getting a Western release in the near future;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TfKOQ2y7dM

loving finally. I live for this poo poo and I hope it comes to PC.

Bonus if it has VR support somehow. I still remember the thrill of being The Red Comet in the VR Zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Omnicrom posted:

Only if that someone is a dapper robot with top hat and coat tails to complete the follow-through on said deep cut.

No seriously, please do this.

PapaGguy :colbert:.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Taintrunner posted:

loving finally. I live for this poo poo and I hope it comes to PC.

Bonus if it has VR support somehow. I still remember the thrill of being The Red Comet in the VR Zone.

Doubt it will see a PC version cause 1) PC gaming is near nonexistent in Japan(cause for whatever reason despite being ahead of the curve in every other tech area, when it comes to consumer computers they are like at least 5 years behind the rest of the world, they still had Geocities till just a couple months ago), and 2) it's not very obvious from watching a trailer but it's a game that is highly optimized for using with a controller

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drrockso20 posted:

Doubt it will see a PC version cause 1) PC gaming is near nonexistent in Japan(cause for whatever reason despite being ahead of the curve in every other tech area, when it comes to consumer computers they are like at least 5 years behind the rest of the world, they still had Geocities till just a couple months ago)

As I heard it; desktops were never big in Japan like they were in the west because they take up a shitload of floorspace in what are on-average very small apartments. Especially during the 90's era of CRT displays. PC gaming also had a long-lasting stigma to it, because the only people really dedicating the floorspace in a very small apartment to a computer were the shut-in otakus and NEET's. Along with the exact kind of games you'd expect to cater to them being popular.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As I heard it; desktops were never big in Japan like they were in the west because they take up a shitload of floorspace in what are on-average very small apartments. Especially during the 90's era of CRT displays. PC gaming also had a long-lasting stigma to it, because the only people really dedicating the floorspace in a very small apartment to a computer were the shut-in otakus and NEET's. Along with the exact kind of games you'd expect to cater to them being popular.

Definitely explains why Commodore style computers were so popular over there for so long

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

as long as rerise has a cute weasel who isn't named after a Nazi general i will cautiously say it's good

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
War in the Pocket is getting a Stateside Blu-ray release in October.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Wow, finally watched Gundam NT and it was such a big what. It has some meaningful things to say about newtypes in UC and how they're treated but it's largely just an excuse for cool robots! and fanservice by using footage from older series.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I fuckin' fell asleep in the theater for NT. What a shame.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

So apparently F90 is getting a manga reboot/sequel called 'F90FF: Fastest Formula'

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
They should really just make F90 into a video game.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

New Gundam SD World Sangoku Soketsuden trailer, and finally a premier date. July 26th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJma1i8BXFU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Spelling Mitsake posted:

They should really just make F90 into a video game.

I don't know if this is sarcasm or not, but they literally did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjpAY0OWuHM

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Kanos posted:

I don't know if this is sarcasm or not, but they literally did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjpAY0OWuHM

Haha it wasn't. Cool!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Argas posted:

Wow, finally watched Gundam NT and it was such a big what. It has some meaningful things to say about newtypes in UC and how they're treated but it's largely just an excuse for cool robots! and fanservice by using footage from older series.

Saw it in theaters with a friend. The spectacle is nice and the voice acting is pretty good, especially with the script they had to work with, but good God we are so over Unicorns and psycho-frames and neo neo neo zeon and EVEN SO

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I wonder how much it could be improved by a fan edit. I think just be rearranging the material in the movie you could make it way better, setting up emotional beats before they pay off and not interrupting fights for poorly placed flashbacks. Michele has a great story, but the movie is such a mess the viewer kinda has to do a lot of the work themselves to pull it out.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Very Important:

DOG GUNDAM

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I kind of love how the Silver Bullet Suppressor is like the dumbest idea of a cool design.

Anaheim executive: Hey, let's give this suit a gun that breaks its arm every time it's fired thanks to the recoil!

Anaheim designer: but if it breaks its arm won't that mean it can't fire again?

Executive: that's the brilliant part! We give it backup arms and a sub-arm to re-arm the broken arms with new arms! it can fire as many shots as it has arms!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I kind of love how the Silver Bullet Suppressor is like the dumbest idea of a cool design.

Anaheim executive: Hey, let's give this suit a gun that breaks its arm every time it's fired thanks to the recoil!

Anaheim designer: but if it breaks its arm won't that mean it can't fire again?

Executive: that's the brilliant part! We give it backup arms and a sub-arm to re-arm the broken arms with new arms! it can fire as many shots as it has arms!

The next Build Fighters series needs to have someone using a similar setup for their arms but instead of using it to support an overpowered beam rifle, they use the arms as disposable Rocket Punches, and by the season finale something like this happens;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-jOHiXwAUY

and yes this also means the part where defeating the apparent main villain just immediately makes things worse by allowing an even more powerful group of villains to appear

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Banagher's just a lazy poo poo and won't use a non-beam magnum gun.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Banagher's just a lazy poo poo and won't use a non-beam magnum gun.

I mean, after getting a taste of that kind of power, would you want to go back to regular old beam rifles?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, after getting a taste of that kind of power, would you want to go back to regular old beam rifles?

Yeah I mean we are talking about a gun so strong that even the stray sparks flying off from the main beam are powerful enough to one shot suits

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I mean, he is the one that stopped using it for a big chunk of Unicorn because he wanted to not kill everyone he shot vaguely near.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I forget, was there anything particularly special about the beam magnum tech-wise or was it just beam rifle++ in energy and output?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Yeah, it’s just a beam rifle that fires the equivalent of four regular shots as one big shot. Not too dissimilar from the various beam launchers and cannons and bazookas, just more compact.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Merilan posted:

I forget, was there anything particularly special about the beam magnum tech-wise or was it just beam rifle++ in energy and output?

The latter. It fires an entire power pack for a single shot, the magazine is actually a bunch of beam rifle ammo packs clipped together in a stack.

So... the mag's actually a clip I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Merilan posted:

The Beam Magnum was just a beam rifle that emptied an entire ECAP in a single shot. So the special tech was that it was absurdly wasteful in exchange for immense power.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I wish they still attached megawatt ratings to these things. The numbers don’t even make sense; I doubt megawatts even work that way. But I like knowing that each barrel of ZZ’s Double Beam Rifle is 20% more powerful that Zeta’s Hyper Mega Launcher, because ZZ is ridiculously over-engineered.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

I wish they still attached megawatt ratings to these things. I like knowing that each barrel of ZZ’s Double Beam Rifle is 20% more powerful that Zeta’s Hyper Mega Launcher, because ZZ is ridiculously over-engineered.

The ZZ Gundam is hilarious because every single weapon and feature it has is wastefully overpowered and overengineered.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

HitTheTargets posted:

I wish they still attached megawatt ratings to these things. The numbers don’t even make sense; I doubt megawatts even work that way. But I like knowing that each barrel of ZZ’s Double Beam Rifle is 20% more powerful that Zeta’s Hyper Mega Launcher, because ZZ is ridiculously over-engineered.

The numbers for the mobile suit reactors are the best part. The mini fusion reactors packed in to each apparently only generate the kind of power you'd expect from a plane, and yet they still power absurd amounts of tech using it at times. The Apsalus III probably being the most funny, because it managed to power a cannon that could vaporize a large chunk of a mountain simply by sticking three of those reactors together. Even super advanced units like the Turn A only pack the kind of power in jumbo jets or something.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

The 1.21 gigawatts in Back to the Future would be 1210 megawatts, or 24 of the ZZ’s head mounted High Mega Cannons. (Which probably doesn’t even compare to real lightning, but that’s highly variable.)

There are ways to rationalize it, but they’re still such adorable numbers.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

The ZZ Gundam is hilarious because every single weapon and feature it has is wastefully overpowered and overengineered.

The ZZ isn't quite OYW Zeon suits in terms of being a death trap, but anyone who's not a powerful Newtype is gonna have a hard time piloting it. I love the part where Beecha takes out the ZZ Gundam and is just completely confused how the gently caress Judau was even able to make it move.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

HitTheTargets posted:

The 1.21 gigawatts in Back to the Future would be 1210 megawatts, or 24 of the ZZ’s head mounted High Mega Cannons. (Which probably doesn’t even compare to real lightning, but that’s highly variable.)

There are ways to rationalize it, but they’re still such adorable numbers.

Even that 1.21 gigawatts is pretty small. I was looking up the theorized energy requirements for an Alcubierre drive (theoretical FTL drive that creates a warp similar to those in Star Trek) earlier, and the math works at at needing something like 65 exajoules of energy a second to create that warp bubble. Which is why it's never been tested despite being a hypothesized method of FTL for decades. That said, the current estimate of 65 exajoules is at least imaginable, even if still immense, considering that it used to be the reckoned you'd need to generate about the same amount of energy as Jupiter holds as potential energy (using Einstein's E=mc2; as in converting Jupiter in to one big energy bomb and using that) in one second or something. Which is so absurd as to be a nonsense number.

tsob fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 9, 2019

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

amigolupus posted:

The ZZ isn't quite OYW Zeon suits in terms of being a death trap, but anyone who's not a powerful Newtype is gonna have a hard time piloting it. I love the part where Beecha takes out the ZZ Gundam and is just completely confused how the gently caress Judau was even able to make it move.

Which leads to a gorgeous scene in Super Robot Wars X, where for reasons some goober mook from the Capital army (from G-Reco) gets his hands on the ZZ Gundam and immediately crashes it because he's completely out of his depth trying to pilot the drat thing. Judau is appropriately mortified. It's not my favorite G-Reco crossover bit (that's how they adapt the Wing Zero's Bunker Buster in its first appearance), but it was hilarious.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Droyer posted:

Very Important:

DOG GUNDAM

Where is this from?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Unicorn series (as they were sold to the Federation, at least) are basically assassin-suits, designed to take on the hardest, most dangerous targets in the enemy fleet and inflict as much damage as they can before the NT-D runs out of juice. With that in mind, the beam magnum - a weapon that can kill or cripple anything up to a battleship in a single shot - makes perfect sense. After all, you can't guarantee you'll have time for a second shot. Its massive area-of-effect is also useful for locking down the notoriously agile Newtype pilots the Unicorn is designed to kill, keeping them dodging attacks that are very difficult to dodge while you move into melee range.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Where is this from?

"Dog Gundam is a Mobile Fighter featured in Newtype Magazine. It was designed and illustrated by Mahiro Maeda."

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Droyer posted:

"Dog Gundam is a Mobile Fighter featured in Newtype Magazine. It was designed and illustrated by Mahiro Maeda."

I suppose it is more believable to stuff a dog into a Mobile Trace System than a horse...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Droyer posted:

If I recall properly they had some other funky designs in that spread as well, like a Gundam based on a Ferrari, and one based on Frankenstein's Monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So with that new G-Reco movie coming out, I've been thinking about giving the series a watch. Is it really as bad/confusing as people say it is? It looks too fun for me to pass up