Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
And also if you don't like the first two Pink Floyd albums I will fight you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Just buy a record and listen to it imo.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Toe Rag posted:

Just buy a record and listen to it imo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

You're not supposed to listen to records, you seal them in plastic and put them upon an altar next to your eighty dollar turntable with the single built in speaker to brag to everyone about how much better your collection is than their collection.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

CPL593H posted:

Tonetta 777 - Vol. 3
The Shaggs - Philosophy of the World
Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music

lmao I actually remember tonetta from the front page. i like him but I don't know i can stomach $80 for youtube audio on vinyl

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

tha_hotstepper posted:

lmao I actually remember tonetta from the front page. i like him but I don't know i can stomach $80 for youtube audio on vinyl

Some of it sounds rough because they're sourced from 30+ year old home cassette recordings but they cleaned them up significantly for the LP releases and they sound much better than the youtube videos. But people selling them can get hosed for what they're charging.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

CPL593H posted:

And also if you don't like the first two Pink Floyd albums I will fight you.

I have never heard either of them in any format, in fact the earliest Floyd album I have listened to is DSotM.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

spookygonk posted:

I have never heard either of them in any format, in fact the earliest Floyd album I have listened to is DSotM.

That’s where Pink Floyd started to suck and be boring.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

BigFactory posted:

That’s where Pink Floyd started to suck and be boring.

I mean their sound evolved and Incould see why someone wouldn't like their later stuff, but to say that they started to suck starting at DSOTM has to be a troll.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MrSargent posted:

I mean their sound evolved and Incould see why someone wouldn't like their later stuff, but to say that they started to suck starting at DSOTM has to be a troll.

Not really. Syd Barret was the good songwriter in the group. They managed one cool album after he left but that’s about it. If you want to say they started to suck with Ummagumma or Atom Heart Mother Id hear you out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

spookygonk posted:

That's a mistake.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

BigFactory posted:

Not really. Syd Barret was the good songwriter in the group. They managed one cool album after he left but that’s about it. If you want to say they started to suck with Ummagumma or Atom Heart Mother Id hear you out.

I mean it's ok to like the stuff Syd wrote more because it's pretty much a different band. But trying to argue that albums like Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall "sucked" feels disingenuous.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

MrSargent posted:

I mean it's ok to like the stuff Syd wrote more because it's pretty much a different band. But trying to argue that albums like Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall "sucked" feels disingenuous.

He really only wrote the first album and the singles from that period. He was barely involved in Saucerful of Secrets. I do like the other stuff, but liking classic rock isn't cool anymore I guess. At this point in my life I'm more likely to play those first albums or the other pre-Dark Side of the Moon stuff. But everything up to the Wall is good (though I probably never need to hear the Wall again for the rest of my life).

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MrSargent posted:

The Wall did suck, but that's a different argument.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I'm not a fan of The Wall either and its really far down on my list of Floyd albums, but I'll live with it considering it gave us one of the best guitar solos of all time on Comfortably Numb. I don't listen to a lot of classic rock anymore, but Floyd is definitely an exception. Meddle is probably my favorite album in their discography.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

MrSargent posted:

guess what pal: they stink!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MrSargent posted:

The wall sucks. It’s terrible.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
A "classic rock" band that sucks: Pink Floyd

A "classic rock" band that is good: Thin Lizzy

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Some real hot takes in here.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thin Lizzy shreds

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I know it's not super highly-regarded, but I loving love TL's Fighting album, it's so good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hot Diggity! posted:

A "classic rock" band that sucks: Pink Floyd

A "classic rock" band that is good: Thin Lizzy

Pink Floyd’s first album and the early singles are a lot of fun. Then it’s a steady descent into the most boring butt rock possible.

Thin Lizzy is good.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

CPL593H posted:

Some real hot takes in here.

Nothing gets the thread goblins out more than being remotely positive about classic rock

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Barry posted:

Nothing gets the thread goblins out more than being remotely positive about classic rock

It's like I lit the bat signal.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Music is great.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

MrSargent posted:

one of the best guitar solos of all time on Comfortably Numb.

*the most Blues Lawyer guitar solo of all time. Hard pass on ever hearing that solo again in my entire life.

And for more meaningful content, I tabled a record fair a few weeks ago and found the JLL and new old stock Big Eyes at another vendor's table. I had put the vendor's band on a little local festival a few weeks prior so he let me have both for a princely $12 cash. Then on the 3rd I was walking past Reckless in Wicker Park and figured what the hell and stepped in to dig the 45s. I pulled three winners for $6.50. That Big Huge EP on the bottom right is really good, I remember seeing them right when that came out and not having cash on me. Glad it came full circle.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Music is great.

Stop liking what I don't like.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

Stop liking what I don't like.

I like plenty of music that sucks but I’d never try to argue that it doesn’t suck.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I like music that sounds good. I would even go as far as to say that is the only criterion for whether or not I like a music.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I also like music that sounds bad.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BigFactory posted:

I also like music that sounds bad.

I don't like your bad-sounding music. Thanks for reading :tipshat:

e: I'm sure someone else might think music that sounds good to me sounds bad. Like, for instance, I've heard that some people do not consider "I love Reshiram" one of the best tracks ever made. They are, of course, wrong.

ee: Seriouspost, obvs.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Please post a good song. I need more good songs.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Toe Rag posted:

A classic: :nws: https://youtu.be/6LHe9m9VtXI?list=PLCE530BC9C8383F03 :nws:

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap
you all have terrible taste except for the known exceptions and they know who they are

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The 311 Lifestyle posted:

you all have terrible taste except for the known exceptions and they know who they are

big ups to my vg soundtrack crew

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Toe Rag posted:

Here ya go.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

BigFactory posted:

The wall sucks. It’s terrible.

Really no need to listen to the album when the superior movie version exists.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Toe Rag posted:

There was talk of Comfortably Numb? Here's the best cover I've heard today.

https://youtu.be/Jj7pDNDuoJ0

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I prefer that to the original

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

no broccoli please posted:

There was talk of Comfortably Numb? Here's the best cover I've heard today.

https://youtu.be/Jj7pDNDuoJ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqIQzNNK9d0

This is the best cover of Comfortably Numb.

It takes a certain genius to turn it into a Bee Gees song, but that was unfortunately a genius that Pink Floyd lacked in the late 70s.