Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Corte posted:

So I went back and watched a few parts of season 2 to get a better handle on the discussion. Something I think that isn't being discussed or noted is that David did not think he was raping Syd. I'm not saying this justifies or excuses his actions. Reviewing the scene where he uses his powers on Syd my interpretation is that he removed her memories of her interactions with Melanie that he believed was manipulation from Farouk causing her to turn on him. It's possible I'm mistaken and David's psychic manipulation went further. Assuming this he believed he was just reverting her back to the "real Syd" before she was twisted by the Shadow King. I guess I'm just trying to point out that perhaps intention should matter when considering the subject.

Again I am not condoning or suggesting his actions were in any way acceptable. It doesn't make what he did any less heinous but if the intention wasn't to cause harm or commit wrong is he inherently evil and irredeemable? I think this is important because as many have pointed out if that is the case he becomes a less interesting and more limited character. I also think it doesn't make sense from a development perspective as some have pointed out as it's quite jarring if that scene or event was the no turning back point. I think the intention was for that to be one of the first steps down a dark path, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions", which lead to him ending the world.
That's exactly it... but then the writers had him immediately have sex with her while she was kinda groggy and out of it (like she was drugged/drunk). He couldn't just wait a few days until she gets her loving bearings back? Pure character assassination to make the show "deeper" and "not so black-and-white."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

David talked to his "rational mind" towards the end of season one so its been an element for a while.

That's right! Oh man, it's been too long since I've watched season one, I loved that sequence!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

There's a reason no one is yelling at David that he's just a rapist and they considered the Season 2 confrontation as an invervention more than a trial.

David's a mentally ill young man with a extremely powerful ability to bend reality to what he wants. Zanes post on the last page is on point with how easy that makes it for him to unthinkingly violate someones consent. He was under stress and losing something he cares a lot about which makes it very believable thats how he'd react in the situation without considering what he was really doing or deluding himself that it was OK.

He absolutely didn't consider it assualt or think of the consequences at the time but that's still 100% what it was. And I don't think he's actually accepted that or is willing to face the consequences even now in the show.

So his own diminished capacity from his mental illness should be taken into account but at the same time he isn't in a position where he's prepared to improve or take responsibility. He's also simply too powerful and delusional to be left at large. That's why he's the villain currently.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It goes back to what Cary said about reconciling who he thinks he is with what everyone else sees. When they tell him he's done bad things, he rejects it. Now he's telling himself that he "deserves to be loved". This is an absolute statement that does not consider any of his actions or behaviors. This is going further down that path of becoming a monster by convincing himself that he didn't err, and if he did he didn't mean it, etc... I think we are all familiar with the Narcissist's Creed.

It's not that he did bad things it's that he's not really seeking to improve himself but to somehow just undo them without really changing or growing as a person.

The flip side of this is that this is fantasy. I understand what's Syd said to him, but I'm not sure she's right, since he's using time travel it may be possible for him to actually undo himself in a way that the real world doesn't allow.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 5, 2019

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

DaveKap posted:

This season, David is 50% under Lenny's manipulation...

You keep saying this, but I'm not seeing it at all. Why do you think Lenny is manipulating David? So far, she's been behaving as just another of his goons, albeit the highest on the food chain. Other than her jealousy, she seems to be just enacting his will. And again, we've seen him manipulate her mind on screen.

That aside, I understand if you believe that David's character arc was handled poorly, or if you are simply not enjoying not being able to easily root for either side of the conflict.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

does anyone else feel like Lenny doesn't behave like the Lenny from season 2?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

double nine posted:

She doesn't (she's a lot more menacing this season). But Lenny's been through a lot, and I'd be more surprised if her behavior were consistent.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm thinking more that David 'tweaked' her personality so she fit more into what he thinks she's like - meaning she's partially 'based' on when she was a mask for the Shadow King in season 1.

too far-fetched?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

double nine posted:

I'm thinking more that David 'tweaked' her personality so she fit more into what he thinks she's like - meaning she's partially 'based' on when she was a mask for the Shadow King in season 1.

too far-fetched?
Doesn't sound far-fetched to me. Even without the psychic drugs, it strikes me as entirely possible that David is constantly, passively, and unconsciously influencing the people around him.

I mean, in reality, and sans-psychic nonsense, we're all constantly influencing one another in subconscious ways. David's power might just amp that up in an extreme way.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 5, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

double nine posted:

It’s hard to tell what Lenny was in the first half of season 2. What remained of the person who died in season 1 episode 1? What was Farouk’s creation, based on David’s perception of Lenny while both were patients in Clockworks?

And what was Lenny in the second half of season 2? I think even Lenny didn’t know, because David’s sister was still a presence.

Lenny in season 3 feels like a lot like the glimpses of Clockworks Lenny, we saw in season 1. Except this time there is no one trying to “cure” her. Outside of the eyes, David’s sister seems gone. And I don’t think that David has changed her, she is allowed to be who she wants to be.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 5, 2019

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Lenny in season three is a mix of three people. Benny the guy that young David used to hang out with to do drugs and Lenny from the hospital, they were mixed into one person and more or less tortured by Farouk. Then they were inserted into the body of Amy, so the person calling themselves Lenny really isn’t Lenny.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

And I don’t think that David has changed her, she is allowed to be who she wants to be.

Given what we saw of David's casual psychic commands to go get something to eat and be happy, I'm not sure she's just allowed to be whatever she wants to be at this point. Or maybe she is until it's at all inconvenient to David, like that scene.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Lenny has some level of control over David because she's an enabler.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

glitchwraith posted:

You keep saying this, but I'm not seeing it at all. Why do you think Lenny is manipulating David? So far, she's been behaving as just another of his goons, albeit the highest on the food chain. Other than her jealousy, she seems to be just enacting his will. And again, we've seen him manipulate her mind on screen.

That aside, I understand if you believe that David's character arc was handled poorly, or if you are simply not enjoying not being able to easily root for either side of the conflict.
Because...

twistedmentat posted:

Lenny has some level of control over David because she's an enabler.
...including the fact the reason she's alive is because of Farouk, the reason she died was because of Syd, and we have no idea what kind of manipulation Farouk put her under while she was stuck in his world of gently caress. She's also the only person who was supportive of David as all his closest friends and lover all turned their back on him at once as they revealed they let his Shadow King loose while trapping him, so he's very malleable to whatever her whims may be. And yes, I think David's arc was handled poorly and I don't enjoy not being able to root for any side of the conflict because it's a lot of circular manipulation to the point where, as far as I can tell, the only person actually in control of anything is Farouk. As such, the only intentions I can track are Farouk's which, it seems, are simply to be entertained.

Corte posted:

So I went back and watched a few parts of season 2 to get a better handle on the discussion. Something I think that isn't being discussed or noted is that David did not think he was raping Syd. I'm not saying this justifies or excuses his actions. Reviewing the scene where he uses his powers on Syd my interpretation is that he removed her memories of her interactions with Melanie that he believed was manipulation from Farouk causing her to turn on him. It's possible I'm mistaken and David's psychic manipulation went further. Assuming this he believed he was just reverting her back to the "real Syd" before she was twisted by the Shadow King. I guess I'm just trying to point out that perhaps intention should matter when considering the subject.
That's exactly what I feel like they're just never going to go back and reconcile. The way I perceived it, he was reversing brainwashing. That's how he perceived it as well. The fact nobody else in the show perceives it that way is what bugs me most and nobody is going to probably ever talk about it because sexual assault is such an awful piece of subject matter to use as a plot point, especially if it's a question of whether it actually happened or if it's literally a brainwasher's lie. If it happened, that's hosed up. If it's a brainwasher manipulating someone into thinking it's what happened, that's hosed up. It's awful either way. I bet it seemed real interesting in the writer's room but it massively fucks up conversations about anyone's intentions in this show.

I'm just kinda glad this thread is cool enough to know nobody here is literally defending sexual assault, we're analyzing why this show went off the rails. Comment sections of other discussion sites? Not so much.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 6, 2019

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

DaveKap posted:

That's exactly what I feel like they're just never going to go back and reconcile. The way I perceived it, he was reversing brainwashing. That's how he perceived it as well. The fact nobody else in the show perceives it that way is what bugs me most and nobody is going to probably ever talk about it because sexual assault is such an awful piece of subject matter to use as a plot point, especially if it's a question of whether it actually happened or if it's literally a brainwasher's lie. If it happened, that's hosed up. If it's a brainwasher manipulating someone into thinking it's what happened, that's hosed up. It's awful either way. I bet it seemed real interesting in the writer's room but it massively fucks up conversations about anyone's intentions in this show.

Yeah, I feel like this part of the story line is such a blunt instrument that it kills some of the more interesting and subtle parts of David's problems and the reason why what he's doing is wrong. He's now in a place where he believes manipulating people's minds is fine as long as he thinks he's doing the right thing and he seems incapable of understanding the idea that you should have someone's consent before doing that.

The story line with Syd is a really obvious example of it, but it's so glaring that it becomes the only thing anyone can see. It feels like the writers thought they needed a really clear illustration of the reason David is bad, but I feel like it could have been better if it was more subtle.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

DaveKap posted:

Personally I don't think Farouk brainwashed Syd in the strictest sense of the word, meaning he didn't psychically manipulate her. Reflecting on it I think one of the main goals of the Shadow King in season 2 was to push David into crossing the line he did. There is the scene where Farouk states that he and David are gods able to create or shape the reality they live in. To Farouk everything is permitted because he is superior to everyone else and he wanted to get David on the same page. Assuming that we do get some progression throughout the season of David being willing to compromise his morals or beliefs for a greater goal, ends justifying the means. Where it gets confusing or messy is that it all started because of him being abducted for a year and manipulated by Future Syd... My hope is that it doesn't end up that she is from the same timeline because if she is then I can't really make sense of it.

Levin fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 6, 2019

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Corte posted:

Personally I don't think Farouk brainwashed Syd in the strictest sense of the word, meaning he didn't psychically manipulate her.
I like both the replies to my post but the fact there is any confusion over how much and what kind of things Farouk has been doing to the characters is the core of it all. We don't know. David didn't know. Nobody else really knows except Farouk. I think if the show could just clearly delineate who is controlling whom, I'd feel a lot more at ease with understanding anyone's motive behind anything they do.

At least they're being more obvious now with David that he'll boop someone on the nose to make them happy and agreeable, so there's no question he sucks now.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

ambiguity is good actually

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Good argument.

So now that I'm done being a whiny rear end, there's something I have to really say is absolutely outstanding with this series: ambient music. I can't remember the last time I was trying to find the OST to a TV show purely for its ambient music and not for the (rather good) licensed remixes. Maybe Mr. Robot season 1?

Anyway, Switch's theme in Ep 1 was awesome and I hope we get to have some more of that before the season ends.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
If this Switch character is supposed to be important to the season it would've been a really good idea to get an actual non-embarrassing actress for the role. Especially if they're supposed to be able to speak Japanese in a non-stilted/broken way.

Every scene she's in is painful (like my posting).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
She's an artist and author for Marvel, I believe, so it's great advertising for them.

And they can probably get away with paying her less.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I can understand stilted Japanese being an issue for someone who speaks the language (I'm often taken out of a scene by bad Mandarin, e.g., Mr. Robot), but that aside I have no complaints about Switch's actress.

I thought she was engaging as a sort of everyperson encountering insanity in episode 1, despite her status as time traveler.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 8, 2019

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Ersatz posted:

I thought she was engaging as a sort of everyperson encountering insanity in episode 1, despite her status as time traveler.

It's true, my dad was also the tv

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Chubby Henparty posted:

It's true, my dad was also the tv
She's the sanest character on the show, and she finds herself in some pretty extraordinary circumstances. Did you find it difficult to identify with her?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Nah, I agree with you, but her butler/weird robo dad etc were pure Legion.

It was just one line but I hope they were implying that her string of perfect grades resulted from pure cheating. That's the kind of groundedness I want to see.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Chubby Henparty posted:

It was just one line but I hope they were implying that her string of perfect grades resulted from pure cheating.

That's what's I took away from it.

I mean, if you're an obedient daddy's princess, what else are you going to do with time travel?

However, it does remind me of one thing - who is making the time travel tapes for her?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ersatz posted:

She's the sanest character on the show, and she finds herself in some pretty extraordinary circumstances. Did you find it difficult to identify with her?

I wouldn't say she's normal. She's got a borderline schizophrenic thing going on with her robot drama. Though I don't doubt that someone who used timetravel to fulfil her father's wishes would lack a sense of selfhood.

Also, I reckon that she's definitely related to the general from last season. Joining up with the Forces of Multiplication is just another way of rebelling against her dad. No wonder she sees something in David, they've got shared Daddy Issues.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

I wouldn't say she's normal. She's got a borderline schizophrenic thing going on with her robot drama. Though I don't doubt that someone who used timetravel to fulfil her father's wishes would lack a sense of selfhood.

Also, I reckon that she's definitely related to the general from last season. Joining up with the Forces of Multiplication is just another way of rebelling against her dad. No wonder she sees something in David, they've got shared Daddy Issues.
Borderline personality disorder and schizophrenia are different conditions. She's definitely not borderline.

As for the robots, I don't think that she meant it literally when she told Farouk that she's helping David because David is a man and Farouk is a robot. I took it as her way of telling Farouk that he's a soulless monster, and David, despite his many and obvious flaws, is not.

Daddy issues? Definitely.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Ersatz posted:

Borderline personality disorder and schizophrenia are different conditions. She's definitely not borderline.

As for the robots, I don't think that she meant it literally when she told Farouk that she's helping David because David is a man and Farouk is a robot. I took it as her way of telling Farouk that he's a soulless monster, and David, despite his many and obvious flaws, is not.

Daddy issues? Definitely.

I think they were using borderline to mean she is bordering on schizophrenia. I'm not agreeing with the diagnosis just clarifying. Excited for today's episode, I'm hoping we get to know more about Switch and her motivations as I'm worried about her just being used as a plot device.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oh man, are we getting Xavier vs. Shadow King here? That would rule.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oh god they're doing the "david meddling with his own past drove his mother crazy" thing aren't they

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

eke out posted:

oh god they're doing the "david meddling with his own past drove his mother crazy" thing aren't they

It seems like maybe Farouk took over his mother?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I only associate She's a Rainbow with Apple.

And seeing that drat doll with baby David is disturbing

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 9, 2019

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

She called him "my boy" just like the Shadow King does.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So his father was a powerful psychic, his mother was someone with a history of mental illness, and david inherited both halves of that cocktail.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I kind of feel like Farouk had some influence over Gabrielle. And him calling David "my beautiful boy" just like she did has to mean something. Maybe he actually does see David as his son and wants him to live? It would make sense since when he found out Syd killed him before they time traveled, he tried to talk her out of going again.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Was that Switch’s dad telling her to go to sleep in the tv?

Loren
Nov 9, 2005
Master of Chaos
Maybe Gabrielle is David's first alter. Farouk uses her as a key to get into David. Farouk fights her for control and wins. Farouk makes David's mom look like the Angriest Boy inside his head. Angry Boy visions are his mom trying to protect him from Farouk.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

The big house is all a mental construct/inside Gabrielle's mind, right? That was the distinct impression I got, but baby David actually being there for Farouk to possess complicates that. In the real world did she have a baby in the mental hospital and then go catatonic again after the events of this episode, leading Xavier to give David up?

I'm very confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

No, I'm pretty sure it all happened.

I missed why she was in the institution in the first place. Xavier goes because he's traumatized at using his powers to have someone kill themselves.

But it seemed like she was under the Shadow King's influence a little while there.

They then leave and have a kid and then Xavier builds Cerebro, finds the Shadow King and goes to meet him. He eventually confronts and kills the body and expels his mind. That goes to the Haller household to attach itself to David.

The real question is when did the Shadow King start to influence the house.