Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I also really like the Enterprise's approach angle when it enters the Genesis system, the Klingons call it a "Federation battle cruiser" and it's shot to look like it means business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

The Oberth should not exist.

we're fighting

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also it had perhaps the single biggest impact on Trek aesthetics of any movie. check out the hot designs that were introduced in The Search For Spock that persisted across the next two decades of Trek media, stretching into TNG and DS9:

I think all of those played an important role in keeping Trek fresh and relevant, and pushing designwork in a way we didn't see again until Discovery

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Surviving an assignment aboard an Oberth class vessel is the most underappreciated accomplishment one can make in their Starfleet career.

In Birth of the Federation I used to build them by the dozen since they were cheap and ram them into enemy ships. You could take out a Borg cube real quick with enough Oberths slammed into it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

God I forgot that in STIII that is the first appearance of the one freighter which gets reused 80 times in TNG

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Okay, so how were the productions of the TNG movies?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tighclops posted:

we're fighting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AphxyjrH4SE

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

On the set of Nemesis, gods from every culture on Earth appeared in person to plead for filming to stop. The event delayed filming by one day.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I think Insurrection wound up spending a shitload of money on building the Baku village twice.

The test audience for Generations hated the original ending so much (where Kirk just gets shot in the back, another brilliant decision from Ron Moore) that Paramount spent several million dollars to rebuild the sets and drag the cast back out to the desert to shoot a new ending.

I don't remember any big chicanery happening with First Contact but I could be missing something.

Nemesis:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
like I seriously wonder how many of the response cards from the Generations test screening came back with death threats scrawled on them

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oh yeah and Generations also blew a shitload of money on new costumes for the TNG cast, only to decide after they were all made and filming had begun that they weren't so good after all and let's just reuse existing costumes. Frakes and Burton wound up borrowing cast costumes from DS9, hence why Riker's sleeves are so hosed up.

Also there was some ~orbital skydiving~ scene with Kirk they shot that was cut.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nemesis:
.avi of Star Trek: Nemesis

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

I think Insurrection wound up spending a shitload of money on building the Baku village twice.

The test audience for Generations hated the original ending so much (where Kirk just gets shot in the back, another brilliant decision from Ron Moore) that Paramount spent several million dollars to rebuild the sets and drag the cast back out to the desert to shoot a new ending.

I don't remember any big chicanery happening with First Contact but I could be missing something.

Nemesis:

whats the issue with the picture there?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

That's an actual LCD screen set into the LCARS "okudagram". Basically it looks worse than effects from 1989 for the dubious benefit of being able to do the effect in-camera.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Arglebargle III posted:

That's an actual LCD screen set into the LCARS "okudagram". Basically it looks worse than effects from 1989 for the dubious benefit of being able to do the effect in-camera.

Christ.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Wasn't there some real bad liquid crystal wave effect on the screen while Picard tapped out his text message to Troi at the helm?

Nemesis was just awful in every way.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I also really like the Enterprise's approach angle when it enters the Genesis system, the Klingons call it a "Federation battle cruiser" and it's shot to look like it means business.
TSFS has not one but two surprisingly tense scenes involving Big Things Moving Slowly, which is quite an achievement. I don't want to imagine the frenzied camerawork and choppy editing they'd get now to make them more "exciting".

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sDARjIbtTY

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Which is funny to me because I don't think the ending we got is much of an improvement

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Didn’t Generations also blow a ton of money on the Stellar Cartography set that ended up being in one scene?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Seriously? The zero-effort blank white LCARS "buttons" there look like total dogshit.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Surviving an assignment aboard an Oberth class vessel is the most underappreciated accomplishment one can make in their Starfleet career.

Getting from the saucer section to the engineering hull is the secondmost underappreciated accomplishment one can make in their Starfleet career.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Seriously? The zero-effort blank white LCARS "buttons" there look like total dogshit.

Honestly my first thought was it was referring to the pajama-like uniform sleeve

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

generations was a loving disaster

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

imo, that makes even less sense. You can't fix the core problems there without a big rewrite.

If the "2 seconds of vulnerability" is really the problem, just speed up the torpedo shot so it takes a few seconds instead of 15. Not sure that's a huge improvement, though.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Generations has a great soundtrack at least and it's a well-shot film.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Generations would have made a good two-part episode rather than a movie.

Sorta like if you had sliced about half of Insurrection off in editing (the action poo poo) and you'd have had a perfectly acceptable Season 6-ish episode of TNG.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The first TNG movie should have been Yesterday's Enterprise but they spent that coin too early.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Any of the 2-parter finale/premier episodes would have made better TNG movies than the actual TNG movies.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Generations‘ plot is just misconceived and Frankensteined together (add a B plot about Data being funny! Now add some Klingons!) and imo it doesn’t work as a drama despite some valiant efforts from the cast, but it does look great — almost exactly the same visual style as TNG (duh), but much better shot. As a two-parter it still would have had serious problems — though not TNG’s usual problems that there isn’t really enough material for two hours or that they didn’t think of the conclusion before they started writing so it’s anticlimactic — and would have lacked the big screen sized budget which makes it a visual standout. Even as it was they had to reuse footage, which is some bullshit.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Any of the 2-parter finale/premier episodes would have made better TNG movies than the actual TNG movies.

Shame on you, Mr. Clemens.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

CPColin posted:

Shame on you, Mr. Clemens.

Yes, even Time's Arrow. If TOS can do a "we're in the past how wacky!" movie, TNG can do one too.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yes, even Time's Arrow. If TOS can do a "we're in the past how wacky!" movie, TNG can do one too.

I think you mean especially Times Arrow, because Times Arrow is great.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Generations is a perfectly serviceable bonus feature to watch after completing a TNG watch-through

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Generations is a perfectly serviceable bonus feature to watch after completing a TNG watch-through
Can we just talk about the fact that they killed off Picard’s family for almost no payoff

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

McDowell’s delivery of “they say that time is the fire in which we burn” is payoff enough

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The payoff is more ~ACTING~

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

FlamingLiberal posted:

Can we just talk about the fact that they killed off Picard’s family for almost no payoff

Yeah this was sorta lovely of them.

I'm probably in the minority on this but "Family" is legit one of my favorite episodes of TNG and one that I somehow hadn't seen until recently. Maybe it resonated a bit more for me because I've lived 4500 miles away from my family for the last seven years, but :shrug:

Plus how can you not like Sergey and Helena Rozhenko?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

FlamingLiberal posted:

Can we just talk about the fact that they killed off Picard’s family the Duras Sisters for almost no payoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

Yeah this was sorta lovely of them.

I'm probably in the minority on this but "Family" is legit one of my favorite episodes of TNG and one that I somehow hadn't seen until recently. Maybe it resonated a bit more for me because I've lived 4500 miles away from my family for the last seven years, but :shrug:

Plus how can you not like Sergey and Helena Rozhenko?

This made me think about that episode for the first time in years. I never really cared for this episode--I neither hate nor love it.

Picard's family has a vineyard? Of course they do. So there are grapes. All we needed was Ricardo Montalbán, and we could have had Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Grapes of Wrath of Khan.