Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

stratofarius posted:

I think so, yeah, I was only making a joke.

Oh, sorry. I'm still only halfway through my morning coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This story (or the final episode this scene comes from at least) can't ever possibly live up to the expectations in my head from listening to the audio, but goddamn do I wish I could see it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

This story (or the final episode this scene comes from at least) can't ever possibly live up to the expectations in my head from listening to the audio, but goddamn do I wish I could see it.

Yeah, as nice as it would be for us to be able to just watch the darn shows, this scene was one where I felt like Peter Purves' narration and what was left of the TV soundtrack was a lot more affecting than what the BBC budget of the time would have let them actually convey.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
We’re 20 years past 1999, Gareth probably now heads the seismology unit at UCLA by now, and predicted the two earthquakes CA just had.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Happy 100th birthday, Jon Pertwee.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Speakin' of Pertwee...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqmp2u5UH9k

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"Wear Cuban heels and grow your hair big"

Done and Done!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Eleven was Two reimagined

Twelve was Three reimagined

Thirteen...

Does this mean she's gonna stick around for a decade and eventually take over the show?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Vinylshadow posted:

Thirteen...

Does this mean she's gonna stick around for a decade and eventually take over the show?

A full decade! That's right, FOUR series!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

This post made me lol then made me sad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Oh don't exaggerate.

They'll do 2, maybe 3 specials as well.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Vinylshadow posted:

Thirteen...

Thirteen is Five-ish.

I don't think Tom Baker can ever truly be imitated

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Barry Foster posted:

Thirteen is Five-ish.

I don't think Tom Baker can ever truly be imitated

Thirteen doesn't have Five's body count though

Unless you count the Kerblam! robots...

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Astroman posted:

"Wear Cuban heels and grow your hair big"

Done and Done!

I only truly loved Capaldi's Doctor in his final season. I want to say that it wasn't entirely down to his glorious barnet, but I can't deny it was a significant factor.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Voting Floater posted:

I only truly loved Capaldi's Doctor in his final season. I want to say that it wasn't entirely down to his glorious barnet, but I can't deny it was a significant factor.

Season 10 made me so sad we weren't getting more Capaldi under other head writers.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

First Series: Audience getting used to the new Doctor
Second Series: Writers getting used to the new Doctor
Third Series: The writing finally works and whoops we're all out of time NEXT DOCTOR

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzq__mJDoba/

Just like RTD and his Dalek:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzq4-pJBGTS/

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I thought Ten was Five re-imagined
Twelve was more like the first doctor.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Reminds me of this
https://twitter.com/RattyBurvil/status/901162852131758080

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

I thought Ten was Five re-imagined

That always baffled me a bit, cause he doesn't seem anything like Five. Five was mild mannered and relatively unobtrusive, Ten was a histrionic cartoon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Barry Foster posted:

That always baffled me a bit, cause he doesn't seem anything like Five. Five was mild mannered and relatively unobtrusive, Ten was a histrionic cartoon.

:same:

I’d hate to travel with Ten. I guess people will put up with the bipolar mess as long as he’s pretty?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Barry Foster posted:

I think it's bleed-over from Time Crash - 10 isn't THAT much like 5, but because we've got that mini episode where 10 points out all the things that are similar about them and how much he loved being him there's an easy association there.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

:same:

I’d hate to travel with Ten. I guess people will put up with the bipolar mess as long as he’s pretty?

Nothing wrong with being bipolar.

Ten's just a self-centred arsehole with very poor emotional control/maturity.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

I woulda thought goons would relate closely with Ten then

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I like an interpretation that I think I adapted from some of Jerusalem's old writeups: Ten wants to be like some of the older Doctors, but isn't very good at actually being like them.

He wants to have Five's optimism and happiness, but can't manage to keep that up when action comes. He wants to be as clever as Seven, but can't really prepare well enough to pull that off. He wants Four's overall benevolence, Six's self-confidence, even Two's occasional childishness, but he honestly just doesn't have any of it. He can only pretend he has them, possibly to cover up for who he really is, and that's a person who regrets that he had to do what he did in the Time War but would also absolutely do it again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Nothing wrong with being bipolar.

Apologies, I meant bipolar as just swinging randomly between manic states, not the actual disorder.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

All this reminds me how much I loving adored 11 in season 5. I enjoyed Tennant as 10 but season 5/11/Moffat all felt like such a breath of fresh air. I still enjoyed the two seasons that followed but they had plenty of problems and issues with things getting repetitive, but goddamn was season 5 loving amazing.

That same energy permeated Day of the Doctor too.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Apologies, I meant bipolar as just swinging randomly between manic states, not the actual disorder.

No worries man, I know you meant nothing by it. It's just a bit like the colloquial 'OCD', is all.

Jerusalem posted:

All this reminds me how much I loving adored 11 in season 5. I enjoyed Tennant as 10 but season 5/11/Moffat all felt like such a breath of fresh air. I still enjoyed the two seasons that followed but they had plenty of problems and issues with things getting repetitive, but goddamn was season 5 loving amazing.

Season 5 Eleven = best Eleven. When he's still a bit scruffy and nerdy/academic looking and awkward. Also even though he is/looks noticeably younger in his first series, it's also where Smith most seemed like an ancient old man in a weird young body.

He got slicker after that, and while that worked for Eleven's 'is basically a ludicrously powerful wizard' side, the portrayal did lose a bit of its early charm.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I remember being a little worried during the start of The Eleventh Hour because Smith was coming across as very Tennant-like (and I liked Tennant but the entire point of a new Doctor is that they're a new Doctor) until I worked out that it was a deliberate acting choice and that those elements just kind of faded away over the course of the episode.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah series 5 is so good, it makes the bad Moffat episodes later on even worse because you know Moffat is capable of so much better.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, the opening scene of The Eleventh Hour feels EXTREMELY 10/RTD but the moment it cuts to Little Amelia Pond and then the Raggedy Doctor crashes into her backyard and demands she fry him up something, it's pure gold right through to the finish.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
moffat's good seasons were the first and the last, and it's sad how bad things got inbetween

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

moffat's good seasons were the first and the last, and it's sad how bad things got inbetween

I think for the most part the good episode:bad episode is pretty favorable throughout Moffat's entire run, it's just that some of the bad moments are, well, basically Let's Kill Hitler.

(And for that matter Season 5 has the most boring Silurian story ever, and Season 10 has this enormous Monk-shaped hole in the middle).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

(Also it's quite hard to watch anything written by Gareth Roberts now, which is a shame because I really like The Lodger).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah his last one is also really good.

docbeard posted:

I think for the most part the good episode:bad episode is pretty favorable throughout Moffat's entire run, it's just that some of the bad moments are, well, basically Let's Kill Hitler.

(And for that matter Season 5 has the most boring Silurian story ever, and Season 10 has this enormous Monk-shaped hole in the middle).

There are good standalone stories in there, but most of the main story arc stuff after series 5 and before series 10 is painful.

The 50th anniversary episode is great too (still can never remember which _____ of the Doctor episode that is without looking it up).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

docbeard posted:

extremis is cool though

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The season 10 story arc was cool because it's the only time Moffat ever tried to just have a story that was about characters evolving rather than being some convoluted timey-wimey mystery.

For the record, I'm not as enamored with season 5 as most of this thread. There's a lot of clunkers in season 5 and the finale is what started the whole SILENCE WILL FALL thing, so it's a stinker in my book.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

extremis is cool though

I loved the aesthetic of Lie of the Land and its premise of aliens inserting themselves as the "benevolent" overlords of the Earth while a resistance fought against them

It was a few degrees away from being Half-Life 2: The Movie, which I really dug

Pyramid at the End of the World (and everything else by Peter Harness) was absolute trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The season 10 story arc was cool because it's the only time Moffat ever tried to just have a story that was about characters evolving rather than being some convoluted timey-wimey mystery.

For the record, I'm not as enamored with season 5 as most of this thread. There's a lot of clunkers in season 5 and the finale is what started the whole SILENCE WILL FALL thing, so it's a stinker in my book.

series 9 was also about characters evolving but people either don't see past the facade of "the hybrid" or dislike the plot because clara and the doctor's codependence is a depressing thing to watch develop.