Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Lusername posted:

I've noticed with games like Beat Saber, I'll practice a difficult song over and over and keep failing with no improvement. Then I try it the next day and I ace it first time and it feels easy. I experienced the same thing when I was learning to play the piano. It seems (at least for me), the biggest leaps in skill-level happen when you're fast asleep.

When you go to sleep, your brain makes new pathways or whatever to allow you to do things better. If you're trying to get better at something and you can't make any progress, just stop and then come back the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cojawfee posted:

When you go to sleep, your brain makes new pathways or whatever to allow you to do things better. If you're trying to get better at something and you can't make any progress, just stop and then come back the next day.

100%. This is why I don't do more than 2-3 attempts at "hard PP maps". Id rather get that feeling of clearing it without non stop grinding it. Plus I find I just frustrate myself and do worse..

Combat Pretzel posted:

How the gently caress does anyone even play in Expert or Expert+? I mean, I'm not used yet to the game, and not playing a lot of competitive FPS games the last few years made me lose a lot of reflexes, so it's probably gonna take a while... But the second song on the first soundtrack on Hard is throwing tons of poo poo at me, how the hell am I supposed to manage that on an even harder level?!?

Also, my Galaxy Watch tracked my HR going up to 145bpm and then went "gently caress it!" probably due to all the waving around.

Game is nice. Now on to figuring out custom songs.

Practice. Tons of it. Just play slightly out of your comfort zone, and don't push yourself into grinding hard poo poo. If its not fun, skip it for now. You'll come back later and cruise through poo poo.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The Expert+ setting is insane and you can only play it so much before you're too exhausted to continue. It's really impressive to see people perfect some of those levels that just look like waves of blocks filling up the entire screen to me.

You get used to it. Honestly. With the goggles on you kinda forget how tired you are until too late. You kind of just build a stamina naturally.

6+ Hours of that a night isnt uncommon. Its kind of stupid how easy it is to like, just get going on that.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AthleticSpoopyDeerWow
https://clips.twitch.tv/AlluringBelovedTrianglePRChase

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wasn't saying it is a bad game. But content versus time spend seems a bit off. I guess if it pays, why not.

I'm having a hard time convincing myself of giving it a go. I can't dance for poo poo because I'm having a hard time to coordinate all my limbs for that activity, and Beatsaber seems to require it. The full body tracked videos on Youtube are worse, they trigger a response like this: :yikes:

Seriously try it out. If you like music stuff in general, theres enough Beat Saber content to like, scratch that itch. Plus dancing around is fun.

LLSix posted:

Rhythm games like Beatsaber are nothing like dancing. Don't let an aversion for dancing stop you from trying something fun. For a cheaper option, Soundboxing is currently half off so it's only $8. Also, Steam lets you return games you've spent less than 2 hours playing. No harm in giving it a try.

Shame goggles make anyone a dancer. Beat Saber and Synth Riders are GREAT for dancing around like a moron.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ObliqueSourHerbsDoggo
https://clips.twitch.tv/SuccessfulFreezingWalrusTriHard
https://clips.twitch.tv/FlaccidMotionlessApeCmonBruh

Combat Pretzel posted:

Uh...

So what is it with Beatsaber, that one would do that? It's like more than three hours every day since it went into early access.

Genuinely curious. The most hours I have in a game is 270 hours in GTA V/Online, an almost 6 years old game, and that game has a way way larger variety in activities and visuals, too.

I stream. Its popular. I lose a lot of weight doing it. Its fun. I mean nothing else burns the calories this does, on top of being fun, and easy to just drop into.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 8, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Got to play accounting+ today, that's a very unusual game, but definitely a VR cult classic. I "played through" it but feels like there's still a lot to unlock.

Also: I turned up the quality/framerate in virtual desktop and the experience got very very good, rather impressive. Played maybe an hour of Budget Cuts streaming from my laptop. Upping the quality to high, really makes this pretty viable for streaming PCVR. There's a little lag, and it kind of freaks out if you kneel down and look under the table or something but 97% of the time it works really well

My guess is that someone comes up with an optimized VR compression protocol that vastly improves quality framerate and latency, but only works properly on second gen Quest headsets

Lusername posted:

I've noticed with games like Beat Saber, I'll practice a difficult song over and over and keep failing with no improvement. Then I try it the next day and I ace it first time and it feels easy. I experienced the same thing when I was learning to play the piano. It seems (at least for me), the biggest leaps in skill-level happen when you're fast asleep.

What British intelligence figured out was that your brain can only absorb new information for about 4 hours a day, and then you can practice existing knowledge another 2 hours a day on top of that. That's about the biological learning limits of your brain. British intelligence schools teach Russian or whatever languages no longer than this as it's just a waste of time. And yeah your brain absolutely builds new circuits while you sleep and "levels you up"

It took me about a week of playing an hour a day of beat saber and I had already cracked into playing some expert songs and another week I was playing a couple of expert+

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

All this talk about Beat Saber, somebody mentions Soundboxing, not one mention of Audioshield.

Audioshield is pretty dope after the fitness update, guys. Guys? Anybody? I like it a lot

e: Also I refunded Beat Saber because custom tracks suck. The song choices suck and if there's a good song then the track is horribly laid out by somebody who has no sense of game balance, fun or eye-hand coordination and how your body works.
Audioshield is just insanely boring to me, and no part of it feels particularly reactive to the music which is like the number one thing I'm looking for in a rhythm game. It's a game built on all the worst parts of Audiosurf.

Beat Saber and Soundboxing yeah you are more reliant on the mappers to do good stuff, but they do exist.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

homeless snail posted:

Beat Saber and Soundboxing yeah you are more reliant on the mappers to do good stuff, but they do exist.

Speaking of mappers for Soundboxing. Walrus is really good and fun with lots of motion. Often too hard for me but I've found a few tracks that I can get close on. I recently discovered QuintTheMint does kind of similar stuff, not as much motion, but also much easier so I've been playing more of his tracks recently. Any other good challenge makers I should check out?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is there any way to change settings for the virtual desktop in SteamVR? Hitting the Desktop button always gives me a low-res single image of my two monitors smashed together, and it's so hard to do anything with it I might as well just take the visor off and do whatever it was on the actual monitor. Really missing those slick Oculus pin-anywhere desktop windows.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

homeless snail posted:

Audioshield is just insanely boring to me, and no part of it feels particularly reactive to the music which is like the number one thing I'm looking for in a rhythm game. It's a game built on all the worst parts of Audiosurf.

I dunno, maybe my standards are extremely low for rhythm-based VR entertainment but I like Audioshield a lot. I like being able to use any of my songs without having to rely on mappers to make levels, so I can just load up a selection of random songs and pick one and jump right in. I also didn't find it to be that bad as far as auto-generating levels, I mean you're saying it's not "reactive" but I think that depends on the song. If you pick songs with strong, distinctive beats it's really good.

But whatever :shrug:

I just picked up Soundboxing since it's on sale, I'll see how I like it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hadlock posted:

My guess is that someone comes up with an optimized VR compression protocol that vastly improves quality framerate and latency, but only works properly on second gen Quest headsets

MJPEG is probably the best solution, though the high-performance codecs are proprietary. libjpeg-turbo might almost be fast enough to be usable, on a 6700k it can compress down a Quest resolution frame at ~85fps but that pales in comparison to something like fastvideo which uses CUDA to achieve 1000+fps at better quality settings, that costs money to license though. Quality of the output is pretty good, some gibbs artifacts up close but it'd likely look quite a bit better in motion. JPEG is also advantageous in that unlike video codecs, dropped and discarded frames don't cause video corruption between keyframes and progressively encoding them would allow incomplete frames to be displayed with a resolution hit (similar to how the Vive Wireless Kit handles reduced signal quality, which makes me wonder...).

Provided the Quest is capable of decoding 2880x1600 jpegs at 72fps (an open question) then it's probably the most usable solution.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

King Vidiot posted:

All this talk about Beat Saber, somebody mentions Soundboxing, not one mention of Audioshield.

Audioshield is pretty dope after the fitness update, guys. Guys? Anybody? I like it a lot

e: Also I refunded Beat Saber because custom tracks suck. The song choices suck and if there's a good song then the track is horribly laid out by somebody who has no sense of game balance, fun or eye-hand coordination and how your body works.

I don’t know what is wrong with you but you definitely should see a doctor about it.
The average crummy beat saber map from random crummy mapper is way better than the automapped stuff from audioshied by miles, and there’s 20,000 custom maps and there are plenty that are amazing.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

King Vidiot posted:

I just picked up Soundboxing since it's on sale, I'll see how I like it.

Soundboxing was my first love. But booting that up now after playing Beat Saber or any of the other new stuff (Synth Riders/BoxVR) is a joke.

"Relying on the community" Is pretty chill when it comes to beat saber. Theres enough stuff out there unless you're some picky rear end music snob that you'll have a ton of fun. I mean, if you get all cranky about bop rear end anime stuff, then well, I guess stick with audioshield or something.

Buy Synth Riders. Seriously. Its probably more up your alley

I do feel like you didn't give saber enough time and maybe just assumed community maps were poo poo since you couldn't do them, let alone comprehend them under 2 hours of game play? Or something? Sure old double and triple digit ID songs are going to be pretty woof, some poo poo didn't age well. Fair. But Theres like, Tons of fun casual maps. Hell even the OST stuff is "good" to start out with. Did you just hate every song or something and have strict music tastes?

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 8, 2019

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Is there an official way to load custom songs into beat saber, or does everyone rely on mods?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Nuts and Gum posted:

Is there an official way to load custom songs into beat saber, or does everyone rely on mods?
This. Also, I keep stepping away from it for a few weeks, and when I come back my mods and custom songs have disappeared. Is there a smarter mod out there that keeps up with Beat Saber updates?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Infinite Karma posted:

This. Also, I keep stepping away from it for a few weeks, and when I come back my mods and custom songs have disappeared. Is there a smarter mod out there that keeps up with Beat Saber updates?

Nuts and Gum posted:

Maps made in the "new format" can be dropped into the game data folder or w/e. But really you'll end up grabbing mod assistant and installing the loaders that way.

Its as up to date as it can be given the time frame people have to update poo poo when devs change game code. Tends to take a day or two for custom songs, then a week or so for most everything else (sabers and all the other customizing mods).

General custom map stuffs been pretty solid for a while.

NOTE: Throw away your old install if you're trying to update. Just start over. Please.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Infinite Karma posted:

Yes but you still have it launch it every time. ModAssist can update itself and then update beat saber in probably 10 seconds. Launch it once, hit ok until it says done, launch beat saber. You'll do it like once every 3 or 4 months.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Zeriel posted:

Man. So I get the oculus "I t jUSt wOrKS" bullshit now. I got my Index and spent the last couple of days dialing in headset fit and straps and tracking and steam settings and refresh rate and resolution and audio and driver settings and windows settings and gently caress! With the rift s I just strapped it to my face and off we go.

But once you hit the sweet spot with everything for your setup oh boy is Index good. It's not for anyone who hates troubleshooting finicky PC bullshit but if you don't mind that kind of stuff you can get it to run pretty much exactly the way you want.

Somebody compared the differences between a rift s and index to a point and shoot camera vs a professional camera and I can't agree more. The professional camera takes more setup but gives you better results. Index is really good.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but as a first time VR user the Index was incredibly easy to set up and basically was plug and play. The only real hitch I had was me not realizing the default IPD setting was not right for me and the cause of blurriness.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but as a first time VR user the Index was incredibly easy to set up and basically was plug and play. The only real hitch I had was me not realizing the default IPD setting was not right for me and the cause of blurriness.

I mean. Some people get really lucky with lighthouse placement or they did some research before hand. Normal random folks kinda just bolt poo poo to the wall best they can and give it a go, which ends up with some fiddling at the very least to get it all perfect.

Rift S, Just works. Its night and day for a normal person. I honestly don't know a single person who has setup lighthouses and not had at least one or two tracking issues.

Funny story. I had no idea I had a light house going bad until I "GOT GUD" at beat saber. I chalked up minor tracking stuff to "meh, old controllers". Turns out, Nope. LH dying the whole time.

And my like, 2 month old 2.0 one sounds like its rattling from the inside out. Love it. Back to 1.0 again. weeeeeeeeee

I keep saying normal. Understand I mean like the masses, not SA Goons. Just your regular folks who can afford to "buy the premium headset". I have to clarify because I "review" all kinds of things for "normal mass consumption" as well as give the "enthusiast" opinions. So like, 99% of the time I'm probably talking about general public consumers. I really try to just keep poo poo in the middle. So far so that I'm honestly shocked HTC still supports me. Probably because I wont shut up how hecking good wireless is.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 8, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hey uh, visualizer dudes, this already exists

I'm not really sure how it is in VR, but it's pretty neat flat

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So it turns out that if you don’t act on your Index reservation it goobers up something that won’t allow you to get back in line. Just a heads up for folks. I’m going to reach out to support and see if things can get resolved.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Combat Pretzel posted:

But content versus time spend seems a bit off.
Does it? Beat Saber has shittons of content. Mixed quality, but plenty of it is still great.

LLSix posted:

Rhythm games like Beatsaber are nothing like dancing.
I mean, it kind of is like dancing, but I'm really awful at dancing and Beat Saber is still great fun.

Having once been a decent trumpet/sax player, I can say that parsing the notes quickly on-screen feels similar to reading sheet music. When I'm going fast, it feels like I parse/interpret the notes as soon as they appear, then they get sort of 'buffered' mentally, and by the time I'm swinging at those notes I'm no longer paying attention to them, I'm focused on the new ones that popped up. Very similar to reading music, especially when sight reading.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Hey uh, visualizer dudes, this already exists

I'm not really sure how it is in VR, but it's pretty neat flat

It doesn't support VR, so it would just be a floating screen. I'm not sure why you think that would be just as good.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I play a handful of instruments and enjoy dancing to live music and you definitely play beat saber better while dancing or bouncing/boppin' to the beat (and judging from how terrified some people are to even move to any rhythm, I'll count that as dancing)

now I can't say this is the case for expert plus songs, where it becomes more about the mechanics than the lower difficulties, so you're usually focusing on nailing some curveball patterns. but everything below expert plus becomes pretty easy to just Jazzercise too after a week

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EbolaIvory posted:

Soundboxing was my first love. But booting that up now after playing Beat Saber or any of the other new stuff (Synth Riders/BoxVR) is a joke.

Soundboxing is still great, have you even played since the major update a year or so ago? The fact that mappers need to physically dance out their maps means that a good map, while maybe having more 1/16 or 1/32 note variances from actual beat, has a much better 'dancey flow' than all but the best Beat Saber maps, which tend to be more about movement patterns than a comparable Soundboxing map which is about just grooving to the music. Not to mention a Soundboxing map has you moving a full ~7-8 feet from arms extended to the floor which Beat Saber and the others I've tried don't even come close to allowing for, making SB inherently a better exercise potential.

Not to say there aren't patterns involved in most SB maps too, but at least for me I tend to make maps along the lines of 'themes' so there are major movements repeated but none exactly and with a lot of variation in between. If you drum or like drum-style maps also there's no comparison to Soundboxing, trying to manually map out a drum-track to a rock song is basically impossible unless you can just hit the beats yourself to the song as you play.

LLSix posted:

Speaking of mappers for Soundboxing. Walrus is really good and fun with lots of motion. Often too hard for me but I've found a few tracks that I can get close on. I recently discovered QuintTheMint does kind of similar stuff, not as much motion, but also much easier so I've been playing more of his tracks recently. Any other good challenge makers I should check out?

Cheddie and Yurble are good. I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Quint's stuff - though he's gotten a LOT better.

thanks for the kind words, if you have any favorite songs that aren't yet mapped let me know and I'll map it tonight or tomorrow.

I was very happy with how this map came out if anyone wants to check out how the maps look in 3D space without actually buying the game: https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/75add705-9d20-11e9-b5b8-6ea6b772ac94

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 8, 2019

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Any beat saber song, no matter how easy, can be turned into a wicked workout by incorporating squats anytime and anywhere :shrug:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Penpal posted:

Any beat saber song, no matter how easy, can be turned into a wicked workout by incorporating squats anytime and anywhere :shrug:

Step it up and get yourself some wrist weights.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

this a really great way to permanently injure yourself. dont do it. I know boxers do it but those are very controlled movements into resistance. a boxer would never shadowbox with weighted gloves.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Do not.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Is wrist weights a “no known safe dose” thing, or more like “a little bit is fine” but “a little bit” varies widely from person to person so it’s impossible to give safe advice?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just don't do it and you won't risk throwing your shoulder out.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

As mentioned this is a bad idea for movements like this. Instead, increase the weight of your controller!
A Maul staff weighs about 1lbs and has about 1 feet of leverage in each direction which will make your heavy Vive / knuckles controllers seem like tiny paperweights.
And grips? With Maul you use all the grips all the time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

rage-saq posted:

As mentioned this is a bad idea for movements like this. Instead, increase the weight of your controller!
A Maul staff weighs about 1lbs and has about 1 feet of leverage in each direction which will make your heavy Vive / knuckles controllers seem like tiny paperweights.
And grips? With Maul you use all the grips all the time.

Don’t half rear end it. Weld long sword blades to each controller so they act as the hilt

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Like everyone else said, yeah, that's a bad idea, as someone who boulders I don't want to put my wrists or tender ligaments into jeopardy.

A weighted vest, tho? Literally taking the VR HMD off and dropping 15~20 pounds like mufuggn Goku and poo poo? That's where it's at

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
What is the kinesiological difference between wrist weights and adding weight to the controller? They both seem like they’d result in the same injuries.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Penpal posted:

A weighted vest, tho? Literally taking the VR HMD off and dropping 15~20 pounds like mufuggn Goku and poo poo? That's where it's at

Gonna Yamcha it up and just get a 140lb rucksack.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Grundulum posted:

What is the kinesiological difference between wrist weights and adding weight to the controller? They both seem like they’d result in the same injuries.

I think the biggest difference is you'd be holding more weight but balanced across two hands, like holding a staff. saq is referring to playing Darth Maul style. It is also fundamentally a different motion, considering the vive wands (in this case) are long and have most of the weight distributed away from your body/wrist.

Like a dumbbell can weigh 35 pounds, and you gripping the maul-sabre in the same way, where the alternative (usual) sword-grip means your range of wrist motion is wide open

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Gonna Yamcha it up and just get a 140lb rucksack.

gently caress yeah packed with delicious looking anime food?? I've been thinking about trying to workout more during beat saber and have pretty much settled on incorporating squats during songs, and that poo poo WILL destroy you

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 8, 2019

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Grundulum posted:

Is wrist weights a “no known safe dose” thing, or more like “a little bit is fine” but “a little bit” varies widely from person to person so it’s impossible to give safe advice?
It's like Crossfit, there might be a right way to do it but the vast majority of people that are in favor of it are idiots that are going to kill themselves

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Grundulum posted:

A controller can leave your hand when you use poor form, and you can manipulate the weight with your hand/wrist like it’s evolved to do.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think it's also easier to control something you're holding because it's in your hand as opposed to a wrist weight which is just sliding around on your arm.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don’t half rear end it. Weld long sword blades to each controller so they act as the hilt

Scrub tier. Lightsaber beams don’t weigh anything.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

homeless snail posted:

It's like Crossfit, there might be a right way to do it but the vast majority of people that are in favor of it are idiots that are going to kill themselves

No, Theres really not a good safe way to play saber with weights.

The Walrus posted:

this a really great way to permanently injure yourself. dont do it. I know boxers do it but those are very controlled movements into resistance. a boxer would never shadowbox with weighted gloves.

BoxVR with weights A OK with braces and the understanding what you're doing.

LOL at beat saber with weights. Thats a 1 way ticket to hosed up joint town.

Grundulum posted:

One you hold, and have control of, and is lighter, the other, is yanking on your joints?

Controllers are like 150 grams. Not multiple lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

No, Theres really not a good safe way to play saber with weights.
Just like Crossfit