Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

What useful spells did AST lose? The only thing I can think of is Time Dilation. Old CO I guess too.
These are what I was referring to, but I'd also include the non-spear cards as well - I haven't run the numbers or whatever but I suspect the new card suite is worse off in terms of parsing than the old one, too.

Blast of Confetti posted:

they're doing a balance patch in a few weeks so i wouldnt worry too much about saying x class is hosed forever until then
I don't think they plan on reimplementing features that they just removed a week ago. I'd be pleasantly surprised but I don't expect AST to be in a place where I want to play them, even after this patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

does WAR get any circular AoE abilities? im leveling PLD right now basically just to easy gold fates in ShB but WAR might be a good pick too for all the self heals. was just never a fan of the conal aoe thing

War has Overpower, a cone, that combos into Mythril Tempest, a circle. With gauge, you also have Steel Cyclone/Decimate, and Chaotic Cyclone at higher levels, all circular.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS

Mulva posted:

A bit of post-game spoiler stuff I still hate Zenos, but one of the things I hate in SB is he's just generically battle crazed and nihilistic. He literally just exists to be this dude you can't beat, for no good reason, until the story requires you beat him. He has no personality or story beats to him, he's just a man holding a penis he calls a sword, waiting for your sword penis to be inside him. What him killing his father and getting his body back does is make his crazy someone else's problem. Like gently caress you Garleans, this is what you get when you give a sociopath unlimited power. You get a sword penis all up in your business.

Except its rapidly going to become our problem since if I remember correctly he literally talks about devouring Hydaelyn to gain the power he needs to defeat us, his enemy. But hey, at least I was right about Zenos stopping black rose use since it would be too boring for him!

Come to think of it, this would have happened regardless of whether we went to the first so we were never really in danger of dying to black rose.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

S.J. posted:

It seems to have slowed way down after I hit 60 tbh

If you had road to 60, that'd explain why it slowed down.

But for 60-70 you have a fairly good amount of options, and with it being subject to the full armory bonus now it shouldn't be much slower then 50-60.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krabboss posted:

Yeah, in fact they were the best at it before ShB. Right now I think Overpower is pretty annoying to use though because you need a target.

eeeh i think ill stick with pld then. hitting my aoes while watching netflix and not paying attention is nice

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iTrust posted:

Who ARE you people?!

The artist Alphinaud and his assistants.

:allears:

I really wanted to pick that but I had done a lot of snarky answers and wanted my big drat heros aint we just moment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Truth Quark posted:

Except its rapidly going to become our problem since if I remember correctly he literally talks about devouring Hydaelyn to gain the power he needs to defeat us, his enemy. But hey, at least I was right about Zenos stopping black rose use since it would be too boring for him!

Come to think of it, this would have happened regardless of whether we went to the first so we were never really in danger of dying to black rose.

If we didn't go to the first Zenos wouldn't have been looking for us

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS
I'm sure they can find a way to make Zenos into a decent main villain for the next expansion pack. At least I'm sure they can do a better job than Stormblood did (it will take place in his home turf after all). I very much doubt they can make him as compelling a villain as Emet-Selch.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Truth Quark posted:

Here's the thing, everything is always going to be our problem. That's our job, for anything in any realm of existence to, somehow, end up our problem. If something that is 100% going to end up our problem also ends up being a problem for our enemies we've profited that day. And yeah, in comparison to the main villain of this game there's absolutely zero chance of making him as empathetic or compelling.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

eeeh i think ill stick with pld then. hitting my aoes while watching netflix and not paying attention is nice

It's not something I realised until I started playing PLD more and now GNB, but yeah the conal/targeted nature of Overpower is pretty annoying when you just wanna zone out.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Truth Quark posted:

I'm sure they can find a way to make Zenos into a decent main villain for the next expansion pack. At least I'm sure they can do a better job than Stormblood did (it will take place in his home turf after all). I very much doubt they can make him as compelling a villain as Emet-Selch.

Emet-Selch had very understandable motivations that parallel our own and is filled with some great snark make him very compelling. Zenos is just outright mad, but driven in a specific way, and I think that kind makes him scary in a way that the Emet/the Ascians just aren't. Bargaining/reasoning with Emet felt like a possibility - such a thing with Zenos will never be possible. I'm also not quite sure he's being set up as the next expansion villain? It sure seems like it'd be a bit early for that / weird for it not to pay off in some way during patch content.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MNK doesn't seem changed much but having two radial aoes that dont require a target leading to the third attack needing one feels like poo poo. But you know what I'll take it given that aoe was even worse before.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 8, 2019

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

strong bird posted:

These are what I was referring to, but I'd also include the non-spear cards as well - I haven't run the numbers or whatever but I suspect the new card suite is worse off in terms of parsing than the old one, too.

It definitely is, but it is slightly more consistent. They were over nerfed but we'll see it get pulled back in the pre raid patch, I'm fairly sure; the outcry's pretty similar to what SCH got going into Stormblood and they did a decent job fixing things there. AST raid DPS contribution, assuming perfect play, is probably close to around 900 dps, though you could squeeze that to 1k if you're optimizing other people's cooldowns and windows really hard.

re: Bandwagon

Lala whm made that scene slightly less badass, but I got no regrets dodging buns. I feel like every single Viera I see looks exactly the same.

Minera fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 8, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

strong bird posted:

I don't think they plan on reimplementing features that they just removed a week ago. I'd be pleasantly surprised but I don't expect AST to be in a place where I want to play them, even after this patch.

Their raid contribution dps through cards/divination is very likely less now, but in comparison to everyone else that lost raid damage utility, I don't think it's a relative drop. Feels low though. A shorter divination cooldown is on my wishlist which would address that.

The non-damage cards were trash though. Good riddance, no rip. Bring back Disable.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Prefect Six posted:

Hey so I uh bought the game because of some talk around giant bomb’s E3 show and I have a buddy playing. So I installed it and jumped through the hoops to register an account and... I can’t create a character on any world on any NA data center.

Google leads me to believe you might be able to create one on certain worlds late at night or early in the morning.

What in the actual gently caress.

Yeeep that's where I am. This sucks. I guess I'll have to try at like 4am or something? Unless I want to play on Primal/Lamia

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Truth Quark posted:

Maybe in the original timeline we didn’t go anywhere so Emet-Selch didn’t follow us so he was around to deal with Zenos or, at least, see Black Rose through.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Krabboss posted:

It's not something I realised until I started playing PLD more and now GNB, but yeah the conal/targeted nature of Overpower is pretty annoying when you just wanna zone out.

i like Overpower because it feels like it's actually got a decent range lengthwise, and the sfx on it convey the cone pretty well. mythril tempest is really, really nice and probably the best new ability we got.

what i can't figure out is why i can't fuckin stand the MCH cone aoe's. i never liked spread shot that much, because the cone feels short and the sfx are super weak, but now we have Auto Crossbow and it feels like it has the same problems. short cone, and though the animation is cool it doesn't have any punch to it. plus trying to squeeze in as many crossbows as i can in the tiny hypercharge window while at the same time trying to keep something targetted in the middle of the pack that's not about to die is just not fun.

my MCH is like 74 and i don't want to play it anymore.

Meicyn
Aug 22, 2006

Going to bandwagon as well with my yaoi-cat.

On the subject of Zenos:

If it wasn't for the voice actor's superb performances, I probably wouldn't like Zenos' one-dimensional character. I'm definitely glad Varis is gone, probably means after Zenos is gone, Gaius will probably end up running the Republic of Garlemald or some other thing. I think my biggest concern with the story at this point is that we're into DBZ power level territory, and after Zenos goes and absorbs Hydaelyn or Zodiark or whatever the hell is probably going to happen and we fight him and win, it's like... where do you go from there?

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Krabboss posted:

Few pages old, but Scholar's Aetherflow has the same problem now.

The dungeons in Shadowbringers hit like a truck unless you're stat capped. The same was kinda true for SB, but it's definitely more exaggerated here. The tankbusters on bosses are serious business now too.

Tanks are so used to being able to just hit 1-2-3 over and over again and nothing else. Tanks should have to be forced to at-least hit one cooldown during tankbusters.

This is a good change and makes the people trying out tanking different those skilled at it. So many horrible tanks since everyone leveling gunbreaker.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Meicyn posted:

On the subject of Zenos:

If it wasn't for the voice actor's superb performances, I probably wouldn't like Zenos' one-dimensional character. I'm definitely glad Varis is gone, probably means after Zenos is gone, Gaius will probably end up running the Republic of Garlemald or some other thing. I think my biggest concern with the story at this point is that we're into DBZ power level territory, and after Zenos goes and absorbs Hydaelyn or Zodiark or whatever the hell is probably going to happen and we fight him and win, it's like... where do you go from there?

Obviously we merge with Lightning.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Tormented posted:

Tanks are so used to being able to just hit 1-2-3 over and over again and nothing else. Tanks should have to be forced to at-least hit one cooldown during tankbusters.

This is a good change and makes the people trying out tanking different those skilled at it. So many horrible tanks since everyone leveling gunbreaker.

Yeah it owns that you have to press buttons in dungeons now. Makes them less boring. Of course people always should have for the benefit of their healers, but they never did.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Oxyclean posted:

Emet-Selch had very understandable motivations that parallel our own and is filled with some great snark make him very compelling. Zenos is just outright mad, but driven in a specific way, and I think that kind makes him scary in a way that the Emet/the Ascians just aren't. Bargaining/reasoning with Emet felt like a possibility - such a thing with Zenos will never be possible. I'm also not quite sure he's being set up as the next expansion villain? It sure seems like it'd be a bit early for that / weird for it not to pay off in some way during patch content.

There's basically two ways to write memorable villains.

The first way is to write a villain with whom you can sympathize or empathize - up to a point. Their goals are unsupportable, but you can either agree with some of their premises or at least understand the thinking that leads them to their conclusions, even if ultimately you need to oppose and defeat them. Emet-Selch fits this category nicely, as does Gaius in 2.0.

The second way is to write a villain that's completely unsympathetic but still compelling either in portrayal or level of threat. You have to play up the factor of hostility and danger to pull this off. Think Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs, or Joker in The Dark Knight, as a couple movie examples. It's a lot harder to do this right; Zenos is clearly an attempt at it but whether they succeeded will vary depending on who you ask. I don't think he's nearly as good an antagonist as Emet turned out to be, but he's got some campy charm - and Zenos' VA does a lot of really good work whenever they give him a scene to really chew the scenery. Seriously, go back and watch the cutscene from SB when you first go into the Menagerie and he reveals Shinryu, guy's fantastic.

As far as post 5.0 story goes (obvious post-credits spoilers here) we are almost certainly either dealing with Elidibus or Zenos by the end of 5.3. XIV's scenario writing has held to a very rigid framework for each of it's expansions and I would expect this to continue - in every expansion they leave threads hanging or even outright cliffhangers and use three patches to fully resolve the campaign storylines - Nidhogg was 3.3, Tsukuyomi was 4.3, and by the end of those patches everything was mostly sorted. They use the .4 and .5 patches to set up whatever the next expansion would be. As such, odds are good we will be dealing with one of the two remaining antagonists in 5.3 and whoever's left standing will be the driving factor for whatever 6.0 is going to be.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

tbh the very fact that he can’t be reasoned with makes him a shittier villain to me

he’s not relatable or sympathetic he’s just an angry dude that wants to fight me forever and that’s kind of boring

that’s not to say there’s no room for angry fight man villains I just don’t think they’re compelling enough as repeat antagonists

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Meicyn posted:

Gaius running ... Republic of Garlemald

Oh man that’s the best joke I’ve heard all week. :v:

Gaius is an unrepentant fascist who completely believe might makes right. He has NOT changed since ARR

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Kerrzhe posted:

this is the true mch experience, friend

But yeah mch aoe's cone is weird as heck. I do a lot of running around to find good spots and after years of practice with spread shot I'm still not totally comfortable with it, especially if it's a pack of very large mobs. At least the aoe is interesting now! (I still miss grenado shot)

Also I'm guessing you already know this but hitting hypercharge as late as possible during the GCD timer helps a lot to make sure you get all five casts off.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh man that’s the best joke I’ve heard all week. :v:

Gaius is an unrepentant fascist who completely believe might makes right. He has NOT changed since ARR

Yeah, straight up this. Post msq He's still super into Garlean supremacy and imperialism. He was dedicated to Varis until Zenos showed back up. He's just not willing to wmd entire populations when they can be instead conquered, indoctrinated, and exploited, nor is he accepting Ascian interferance.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, straight up this. Post msq He's still super into Garlean supremacy and imperialism. He was dedicated to Varis until Zenos showed back up. He's just not willing to wmd entire populations when they can be instead conquered, indoctrinated, and exploited, nor is he accepting Ascian interferance.

it was pretty on point that even knowing that varis is on the Ascian Train until the rejoining is finished (he does know that, I think?), he still instinctively calls out "Your Radiance!" when zenos gives him the stab

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

I was surprised they didn't give us housing item versions of the children's book exposition stories. The artwork was really nice.

We got the gosetsu / yugiri sketch in SB, and other stuff previously.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

i like Overpower because it feels like it's actually got a decent range lengthwise, and the sfx on it convey the cone pretty well. mythril tempest is really, really nice and probably the best new ability we got.

what i can't figure out is why i can't fuckin stand the MCH cone aoe's. i never liked spread shot that much, because the cone feels short and the sfx are super weak, but now we have Auto Crossbow and it feels like it has the same problems. short cone, and though the animation is cool it doesn't have any punch to it. plus trying to squeeze in as many crossbows as i can in the tiny hypercharge window while at the same time trying to keep something targetted in the middle of the pack that's not about to die is just not fun.

spread shot/auto crossbow cones are a lot bigger than you think they are

pick the guy with the most health and go to town

edit: mch aoe hits like a runaway dump truck and out of every dungeon run i've parsed only one player even just barely fell short of TYING me; nobody has beaten me

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

World War Mammories posted:

it was pretty on point that even knowing that varis is on the Ascian Train until the rejoining is finished (he does know that, I think?), he still instinctively calls out "Your Radiance!" when zenos gives him the stab

On that note, why did Varis have such a problem with the Ascians? Just because they used him rather than inviting him to be part of their cool kids club? Because after his big speech at the negotiation table he seems totally down with their plan and happy to be a part of it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well he might not like the whole (ShB end spoils) ”sacrifice all the new life to bring back the dead Ascians”part

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Job thoughts:

DNC @ 78: Flourish and Saber Dance really amped up something that was already fun. With Flourish do I want to be using all my procs? Like if I'm in a ST situation, are the AOE procs worth using? (I think they work out to more potency then the ST starters?) AOE seems like you'd probably throwing away a lot of potency just to fish for procs.

WHM @ 72: Dear tank, please take less damage so I can press Holy more.

UHD posted:

tbh the very fact that he can’t be reasoned with makes him a shittier villain to me

he’s not relatable or sympathetic he’s just an angry dude that wants to fight me forever and that’s kind of boring

that’s not to say there’s no room for angry fight man villains I just don’t think they’re compelling enough as repeat antagonists

But I'd argue he's not an angry dude. He wants a good fight. There's almost a total lack of malice in what he's doing, just sort of this cold indifference. For some reason I like his motivation much more then the typical Garlean "we want to crush the world under our foot." I agree that sort of unreasonableness is boring. But I think it'd get a bit boring if every villain was relatable or sympathetic. I was kinda rolling my eyes when it felt like they were trying to spin Tsukuyomi's as this tragic figure, but I do think it was little better when all was said and done, but she feels like a weaker villain overall. Although I see where you're coming from the problem of him being a repeat antagonist, but if I had to speculate, dealing with his/the artificial echo is going to the the thrust of that plot?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Titania EX has found my Achille's heel: Making me dodge giant instant death AoEs when most of my screen is covered in tree. (Ok, it's not really that bad, and I have my Titania book now anyway, but I'd still like it if I didn't have a camera full of tree whenever I have to dodge NW for knockback tethers.)

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 8, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, Zenos isn't really an angry dude. There's just only one way he can get off. Two gods stomping on eachothers' faces, forever.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 8, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Also here's Varis' motivations in every conversation and action of his entire life: He's a massive loving racist, imperialist rear end in a top hat. And anything that implies he's not the most strong and perfect being in existence is to be destroyed.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im fine with zenos just because i basically look at him like a mirror of my character. in story cutscenes i picked all the stuff that boiled down to "im just here for the next big fight" since thats what i think of the wod as. to me hes what would happen if my character wanted to hunt down people instead of primals. hes not a very deep character thought and i can see why a lot of people dont like him. i just happen to be in to him. that said his story fights in SB can gently caress off. nothing interesting about a win the fight lose the cutscene boss

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Oxyclean posted:

It feels entirely too early to talk next expansion jobs, but the Chemist talk got me thinking, besides Chemist, what other potential healer jobs are there? Or other likely/iconic jobs? Hard to say if expansion theme even impacts job decisions because GNB and DNC almost feel like they'd belong to another expansion.

I'm honestly wondering if WHM getting light themed upgrades is quietly paving the way for Geomancer, a job that would get much more mileage out of earth and wind related stuff.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'm good with Zenos as a villain because he's clear and uncomplicated, and I think that works in the FFXIV rogues gallery. If every villain is sympathetic and complex, the story can get muddy and exhausting. It gets into GoT syndrome where it's hard to know who to root for. Can work in an experience where the audience is a witness. Games - especially ones where the player character is an upright protagonist - have different goals & expectations.

Also yes the VA kills it

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Far be it from me to skip out on good bandwagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS

Thundarr posted:

Far be it from me to skip out on good bandwagon.

Oh my god whats wrong with your FACE