Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know if there's much you can future proof. I'm more used to intel, but the chips being sold now use the same socket I have on my board but require versions newer of a chipset to work. In my experience, you just buy as good as you can to last you a few years and then rebuild from the ground up.

In other news. I bought the 3600 from Newegg. I don't think I want to spend the money on the 3700x and things seem to say that the 3600 and 3600x have about the same performance, so only spending 200 dollars is fine by me. What board do people recommend between 1-200 dollars? I'm used to Asus stuff I was thinking about getting this Asus prime X470 board. All the X570 boards seem to be above 200 dollars. Is X470 ok or am I going to end up limiting myself in some way? The Asus board has pretty much what I need. A bunch of USB 3 ports, 5.1 sound, and M.2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
there's no way to win in tech, you're either buying at launch and putting up with scarcity, price gouging, and driver issues, or you're buying something that is halfway to being replaced by the new hotness... and the cycle repeats.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 8, 2019

ufarn
May 30, 2009
As someone who took a long time to upgrade, the big things are:

* RAM: DDR5 will happen eventually, but DDR4 prices are great now
* CPU: Hopefully, AM4 will be supported through 2020
* Mobo: But will Zen3 support X470, and what of all the new voltage and TDP bumps; some X570 have voltage controllers from server motherboards at this point

And then there's PCI-e 4/5 and Thunderbolt 3, but the former's probably not super interesting aside from issues with PCI lanes.

I'm still not entirely sure whether my X470 will work with Zen3, and forward compatibility is always a big if. Maybe the chipset's supported, but the BIOS updates also need to work well. And Zen+ was a mess in terms of BIOS support until months after launch.

And when I upgraded, the Nvidia GPU market was a mess because of Turing just launching, so I decided to just buy a used 1070 and wait until Ampere. On top of having to buy B-die DDR4 at very high prices. There are just an absurd number of variables.

So ask yourself which of these things you want to focus on, and make sure you know which are known, and which are unknown. I still made a leap of faith hoping I'd be able to upgrade my Zen+ with a Zen3, but it's still not entirely sure what'll happen in the future.

At least GPUs are easily forward compatible, so I'm focusing more on that and a G-Sync monitor in the future. (Even though the monitor market feels slow an unpredictable, too.)

ufarn fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 8, 2019

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
Heads up that buying a mid to high end MSI X570 boards you can get a free Coolermaster AIO with product registration: https://www.msi.com/Promotion/I-Love-You-3000-AMD/

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
A good AIO is the one thing I'm missing so far but I don't feel very confident buying any of the existing ones on the market. I think I need to wait for actual reviews on different ones to see if any of them work well with the Ryzen 3000 chip layout.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Has anyone seen any solid info on how loud the x570 chipset fans are on the lower end boards? I'm not accustomed to spending more than $200 on a Mobo considering i'm not a power user, but I need to be able to at least throttle the RPM if the fan is going to be that small/wizzy. I've seen some anecdotal stuff on reddit that does not sound good at all even on the high end stuff, but I'm just hoping that further bios updates will help.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Wasn't Zen 2 supposed to be the last CPU that will work with the current socket?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

fargom posted:

Has anyone seen any solid info on how loud the x570 chipset fans are on the lower end boards? I'm not accustomed to spending more than $200 on a Mobo considering i'm not a power user, but I need to be able to at least throttle the RPM if the fan is going to be that small/wizzy. I've seen some anecdotal stuff on reddit that does not sound good at all even on the high end stuff, but I'm just hoping that further bios updates will help.

All I know is that people were a little upset with the Gigabyte AORUS fans, but in an AMA today on /r/AMD they said they are going to release some fan control updates in a future BIOS version for all models (possibly released tomorrow).

EDIT: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/camq8h/ama_with_the_aorus_team_aorus_x570_motherboards/et9u2ca/

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Fan control software for motherboard fans, what a time to be alive.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Paul MaudDib posted:

there's no way to win in tech, you're either buying at launch and putting up with scarcity, price gouging, and driver issues, or you're buying something that is halfway to being replaced by the new hotness... and the cycle repeats.

Or like me who buys a month before Zen2 is announced :v:

But I got a good deal on the new setup so I don't mind. I'm probably going to wait for the DDR5 chips to drop then consider upgrading

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Nalin posted:

All I know is that people were a little upset with the Gigabyte AORUS fans, but in an AMA today on /r/AMD they said they are going to release some fan control updates in a future BIOS version for all models (possibly released tomorrow).

EDIT: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/camq8h/ama_with_the_aorus_team_aorus_x570_motherboards/et9u2ca/

Awesome news, seems like a no brainer to just let people control it like we do case fans. And yes, this is quite a time to be alive with active cooling back on the chipset.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Can someone who is knowledgeable let me know if the Pro Carbon WiFi looks like a solid board? I'm thinking of picking that up for $300 to snag the free cooler.

Would be on a 3900x

Zotix fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 8, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

iospace posted:

Or like me who buys a month before Zen2 is announced :v:

But I got a good deal on the new setup so I don't mind. I'm probably going to wait for the DDR5 chips to drop then consider upgrading

buying last-gen can be a great deal but it's often better to wait until after the new new is launched. I expect 2000 series is probably going to get knocked down to the levels the 1000 series are currently selling before too long here.

Buying 1000 series at this point isn't a terrible deal if that's what you want. No telling how long 1000 series chips are going to last. Could be a while, could be done.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Has anyone seen word on when the asrock x570 matx board is reaching retail?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

https://www.bcnretail.com/market/detail/20190703_126041.html

Site collates nationwide POS data from major retailers in Japan, shows Intel has been hemorrhaging marketshare amongst DIY builders to AMD over the past nine months.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

In other news. I bought the 3600 from Newegg. I don't think I want to spend the money on the 3700x and things seem to say that the 3600 and 3600x have about the same performance, so only spending 200 dollars is fine by me. What board do people recommend between 1-200 dollars? I'm used to Asus stuff I was thinking about getting this Asus prime X470 board. All the X570 boards seem to be above 200 dollars. Is X470 ok or am I going to end up limiting myself in some way? The Asus board has pretty much what I need. A bunch of USB 3 ports, 5.1 sound, and M.2.

For a budget build like that, good old MSI B450 Tomahawk should be the way to go: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Crossfire-Motherboard-B450-Tomahawk/dp/B07F7W5KJS/

Be sure to update the Bios of a 400 board before you plug in the CPU. Procedure will vary for other brands/models. Version numbers are outdated.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Alucardd posted:

Heads up that buying a mid to high end MSI X570 boards you can get a free Coolermaster AIO with product registration: https://www.msi.com/Promotion/I-Love-You-3000-AMD/

This doesn't seem to apply to the US and Canada.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/caoa3d/warning_msi_free_aio_wx570_mobo_promotion_is_not/

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Quick PSA, my NowInStock alert flared up for 3900X on Amazon. Unfortunately it's a third party seller that named themselves an AMD Authorized Reseller and their reviews are mostly kitchen items. Don't get scammed.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It's ridiculous Amazon sent an email for the store selling those and linked it right from the actual AMD amazon store page. For what it's worth, I back ordered a 3900x from Newegg yesterday and expected to have to wait a while but it shipped this morning.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Paul MaudDib posted:

buying last-gen can be a great deal but it's often better to wait until after the new new is launched. I expect 2000 series is probably going to get knocked down to the levels the 1000 series are currently selling before too long here.

Buying 1000 series at this point isn't a terrible deal if that's what you want. No telling how long 1000 series chips are going to last. Could be a while, could be done.

It was 200 for a 2700. I feel I got a good deal

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

r/AMD has a couple of threads full of people who are angry that their 3900X doesn't hit maximum boost on all cores, while gaming. The pragmatist in me wants to say "Why would you ever think it would do that? Also, why are you buying this workstation-in-all-but-name CPU for vidya games?", but uh...

This, the multiple BIOS issues. the multiple Linux driver issues, and the supply issues, are making me think there should be an AMD variant :frontear: smiley.

Edit, speaking of, here's an update on the systemd issue https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ryzen-3K-RdRand-Systemd-Maybe

mdxi fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 9, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Launches for both AMD and Intel have been feeling like the old days lately. Namely, rushed and slapped together. Ridiculously bad BIOS, things in the marketing materials not actually working for months (Speed Shift on Z370) or getting mysteriously dropped right before launch and left to board makers to resurrect (PBO on B450/X470), lovely availability, staggered launches with like 1 SKU a month or 1 chipset at launch, lots of weird misinformation or bad communication etc.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Wasn't Zen 2 supposed to be the last CPU that will work with the current socket?

Zen3 has been confirmed to be DDR4 by an AMD rep in an Anandtech interview, which basically guarantees the 4000 series will be AM4 compatible. It's the 5000 series (Zen4) which will have a new socket in 2021/22 to accommodate migrating to DDR5, and even that's not a guarantee there won't be compatible Zen4 processors for AM4 either since moving the I/O to a separate die means AMD can support AM4 indefinitely, and if DDR5 is still expensive as gently caress it'd make sense to make an I/O die with a DDR4 and DDR5 IMC.

Knowing AMD they'll try to release the 5000 series with DDR5 and PCIE5 on May 5th.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

oh boo :(

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Zen3 has been confirmed to be DDR4 by an AMD rep in an Anandtech interview,

Starting to think I should hold onto my B450/1600/3200-16 rig until Zen3 just because the price war between AMD and Intel may be in full swing by then.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

Starting to think I should hold onto my B450/1600/3200-16 rig until Zen3 just because the price war between AMD and Intel may be in full swing by then.
Intel's 14nm capacity should massively increase in Q4. They could go to war then.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Either way, wait until BIOS and software are more polished for Zen 2. No one reason to get launch-day Ryzen if you can live without it for a bit tbh.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

mdxi posted:

r/AMD has a couple of threads full of people who are angry that their 3900X doesn't hit maximum boost on all cores, while gaming. The pragmatist in me wants to say "Why would you ever think it would do that? Also, why are you buying this workstation-in-all-but-name CPU for vidya games?", but uh...

This, the multiple BIOS issues. the multiple Linux driver issues, and the supply issues, are making me think there should be an AMD variant :frontear: smiley.

Edit, speaking of, here's an update on the systemd issue https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ryzen-3K-RdRand-Systemd-Maybe

I can see being mad if it never hits max boost in lightly threaded workloads since there seems to actually be some issues there according to Robert Hallock but anyone expecting max boost all core must have really not been paying attention to Ryzen before now, the 3900X behaves just like a 2700X would just with everything moved up 250Mhz or so.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

ufarn posted:

Fan control software for motherboard fans, what a time to be alive.

Apparently one reviewer has done some testing and disabled the motherboard fan entirely and temps were exactly the same as with it on. It made no difference w. running a single pcie4 m2 drive. :eyepop:

So maybe unless you are planning on running m2 raid you can just pop that fan off entirely.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I was under the impression all the power draw came from PCI 4. I'm not exactly sure how the compatibility works, but shouldn't it not happen if you're only using PCI 3?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

xgalaxy posted:

Apparently one reviewer has done some testing and disabled the motherboard fan entirely and temps were exactly the same as with it on. It made no difference w. running a single pcie4 m2 drive. :eyepop:

So maybe unless you are planning on running m2 raid you can just pop that fan off entirely.

Speaking of this, the initial AT article mentioned that there were two version of X570 in the wild. An 11w TDP and a 15w TDP. The 11w supported 8x/8x/4x on the PCIe 16 slots (with the last 4x coming off the chipset) and the 15w supported 8x/8x/8x with 4 extra PCIe lanes enabled. They've since took that paragraph out of the article.

I think it might be the same silicon but maybe an up-down TDP based on how the motherboard makers implement it? The ASUS WS board and all the high end boards seem to have the 8/8/8 option (and bigger coolers), but the low ends do seem to all be 8/8/4. I imagine 8/8/4 is easier/cheaper to layout, and considering AMD is apparently charging $30-40 for the X570 package alone, maybe the lower TDP option was to cut some price out of the fan/pcie traces?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

ItBreathes posted:

I was under the impression all the power draw came from PCI 4. I'm not exactly sure how the compatibility works, but shouldn't it not happen if you're only using PCI 3?

der8aur hacked one of his X570 boards to intercept all the power going to the chipset to get precise power draw readings. In his tests the additional power usage with PCIe 3 vs 4 peripherals is less than a watt and either way passive cooling with any amount of case airflow should have been sufficient:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk3PD-4zPN0&t=841s (Timestamped on the power use chart.)

Between X570 and the 5700 it looks like AMD is just addicted to unnecessarily loud cooling solutions for their products.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 9, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Khorne posted:

Intel's 14nm capacity should massively increase in Q4. They could go to war then.

If it doesn't, they're hosed and they literally have to sit out the holiday with nothing. If it does, they have to respond with price cuts or same difference. I hope they shower us with half-off 9900Ks to keep us warm over the winter.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

Mr.Radar posted:

der8aur hacked one of his X570 boards to intercept all the power going to the chipset to get precise power draw readings. In his tests the additional power usage with PCIe 3 vs 4 peripherals is less than a watt and either way passive cooling with any amount of case airflow should have been sufficient:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk3PD-4zPN0&t=841s (Timestamped on the power use chart.)

Between X570 and the 5700 it looks like AMD is just addicted to unnecessarily loud cooling solutions for their products.

I really liked his point about having a passive heatsink and using the surrounding space to put a better solution. Him looking befuddled at the design is really something.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Old motherboards had multiple copper heatsinks, connected by heatpipes. Time to start manufacturing them again? At least the mobo prices should cover the expense..

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Proper heatsinks instead of those stylised aluminium blocks, that'd already help.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Steve gettin fiesty about the bios stuff goin round, some of the marketing choices, and everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUQ9iUyd0uM

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mdxi posted:

They held off announcing the 3900X at Computex so they could debut it at E3. They really want (wealthy) gamers quickly ramping up to running quadruple the cores that they’re used to.

quote:

Is this the “Linux doesn’t run on Zen2” thing I heard about? I thought it was a kernel issue. If it’s systemd, try MX Linux since it’s the most newbie friendly of the distros for people who think Poettering wants to destroy UNIX.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Cygni posted:

Steve gettin fiesty about the bios stuff goin round, some of the marketing choices, and everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUQ9iUyd0uM

I love his content but it weirds me out how much he looks and sounds like Jason Segel's (slightly) nerdier younger brother.

I can't be the only person who sees this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The problem is that wealthier gamers probably will see those i9-9900k benchmarks or the mediocre O/C figures and go with Intel anyway. Price really isn’t as important as raw performance in that segment and it probably won’t matter.... unless those gamers are also content creators or software engineers that do lots of other things with their machines that can make use of those cores. Gaming is a secondary need for me but I do like the lower power usage because it means less heat to worry about cooling and therefore less need for fans and noise.