Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
One S is garbage tier. You can get an X for $300 pretty easily and get a console that's about 6x as powerful. One S is weaker than a base PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
top ten anime betrayals: xbox megathread

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

American McGay posted:

One S is garbage tier. You can get an X for $300 pretty easily and get a console that's about 6x as powerful. One S is weaker than a base PS4.

k i'll do that

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Yeah, get the One X now and then wait for mid-summer sales post Scarlett release. Win-win.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Hey, looks like the Xbox is finally supporting an official Razer keyboard and mouse! Maybe consoles and their games might finally start supporting keyboards and mice!

There are three reasons why PC gaming is objectively better than console gaming.

1. multiple input options including any gamepad or KB+M, which is objectively better for shooters
2. performance
2. modding

Maybe after 20+ years, console manufacturers might have finally gotten it through their heads that they could pretty easily cut out a third of those reasons. Of course at $250 it's still absurdly expensive, but it's a start. If console games really start supporting any old KB+M combo, I suddenly have a lot less of a reason to own a gaming PC.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Hey, had someone ask me about an odd xbox issue that Google doesn't help with. They bought an old disc version of Minecraft, and couldn't play with a friend who owns it digital. They were saying Minecraft itself prompted a required update that costs 20 euro, and I've never heard of paying for patches. Any ideas?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Seedge posted:

Hey, had someone ask me about an odd xbox issue that Google doesn't help with. They bought an old disc version of Minecraft, and couldn't play with a friend who owns it digital. They were saying Minecraft itself prompted a required update that costs 20 euro, and I've never heard of paying for patches. Any ideas?

Weird...this may be related to the fact that they sort-of reissued the game at one point, as in digital owners had to "re-buy" the new SKU but since they owned the original one it was free.

EDIT did some digging, the short version is that you're unfortunately poo poo out of luck. They offered free upgrades for disc owners, but only for accounts that either owned DLC or had played 5+ hours prior to January 30th, 2018. The only way to update now that that's passed is to re-buy it digitally. It doesn't appear the new SKU is available on disc at all.

https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/better-together-faq

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 9, 2019

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

GreatGreen posted:

Hey, looks like the Xbox is finally supporting an official Razer keyboard and mouse! Maybe consoles and their games might finally start supporting keyboards and mice!

There are three reasons why PC gaming is objectively better than console gaming.

1. multiple input options including any gamepad or KB+M, which is objectively better for shooters
2. performance
2. modding

Maybe after 20+ years, console manufacturers might have finally gotten it through their heads that they could pretty easily cut out a third of those reasons. Of course at $250 it's still absurdly expensive, but it's a start. If console games really start supporting any old KB+M combo, I suddenly have a lot less of a reason to own a gaming PC.

I use a mouse and keyboard all day at work. I don't want to come home and hold them for another hour or so of video games. Certain games support it right now, but as far as I can tell none of them are FPS.

It's a can of worms because XIM people already have an insane advantage in games (and you can spot them a mile away as they 180 on a dime) but not many developers have stated that it's against the rules.

In short, no thanks I'll keep the controller. I get adding m/kb for War Thunder or other MMOs but keep them away from consoles.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Beastie posted:

I use a mouse and keyboard all day at work. I don't want to come home and hold them for another hour or so of video games. Certain games support it right now, but as far as I can tell none of them are FPS.

It's a can of worms because XIM people already have an insane advantage in games (and you can spot them a mile away as they 180 on a dime) but not many developers have stated that it's against the rules.

In short, no thanks I'll keep the controller. I get adding m/kb for War Thunder or other MMOs but keep them away from consoles.

I find it hard to understand how people can think like this, personally. Do you not want more options? I use a computer all day at work too but that doesn't mean a gamepad is anything less than an exercise in frustration compared to a KB+M for shooters or for general system navigation just because it's different than the thing you keep your hands on at work.

Besides, for shooters, including KB+M support would mostly eliminate the need for stuff like XIM. It wouldn't eliminate people using XIM specifically to feel superior against gamepad players, but it would give people who just want KB+M controls a viable, legitimate option. This would also provide developers with the option of better balancing their games by splitting the KB+M users from gamepad users if they wanted, so everybody wins. XIM users would have a legitimate alternative, people who can't stand gamepad shooters would look at consoles as a viable primary gaming platform for once, and people who prefer gamepads wouldn't have to worry about being unfairly owned by "cheaters."

And, in addition to better shooters, entire genres could open up for consoles like complex strategy games. Even the console's general GUI could be vastly improved. For starters, how much fun is it to type out a search string with a gamepad on one of those ultra-garbage modern on-screen keyboards designed by people who don't know how to type, where the letters are all in a single line arranged alphabetically. And for general navigation, would you rather Left-Right page, then Left-Right tab through a dozen sub-page menus, or have a simple screen of icons on a grid with maybe some folders if you want? I'll give you a hint. There's a reason every major OS on the market all use the latter method.

I'm kind of failing to see any downsides other than "change = scary" here.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 9, 2019

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Keyboard being relatively accessible complicates the competitive online scene in ways that don't lend themselves well to what consoles are trying to accomplish. KB+M isn't terribly conducive to a living room setup, especially if you mostly play console in a near-comatose position. Sure the XIM exists but it's expensive and hard to come by, you can't walk into a Gamestop and get one.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

GreatGreen posted:

I find it hard to understand how people can think like this, personally. Do you not want more options? I use a computer all day at work too but that doesn't mean a gamepad is anything less than an exercise in frustration compared to a KB+M for shooters or for general system navigation just because it's different than the thing you keep your hands on at work.

Besides, for shooters, including KB+M support would mostly eliminate the need for stuff like XIM. It wouldn't eliminate people using XIM specifically to feel superior against gamepad players, but it would give people who just want KB+M controls a viable, legitimate option. This would also provide developers with the option of better balancing their games by splitting the KB+M users from gamepad users if they wanted, so everybody wins. XIM users would have a legitimate alternative, people who can't stand gamepad shooters would look at consoles as a viable primary gaming platform for once, and people who prefer gamepads wouldn't have to worry about being unfairly owned by "cheaters."

And, in addition to better shooters, entire genres could open up for consoles like complex strategy games. Even the console's general GUI could be vastly improved. For starters, how much fun is it to type out a search string with a gamepad on one of those ultra-garbage modern on-screen keyboards designed by people who don't know how to type, where the letters are all in a single line arranged alphabetically. And for general navigation, would you rather Left-Right page, then Left-Right tab through a dozen sub-page menus, or have a simple screen of icons on a grid with maybe some folders if you want? I'll give you a hint. There's a reason every major OS on the market all use the latter method.

I'm kind of failing to see any downsides other than "change = scary" here.

Two downsides off the top of my head: the huge number of people who just play Fifa wont want to have to buy M/K, and it vastly complicates things like: buying a replacement controller now is, wired or wireless? Vs What size of keyboard do you have room for, do you have a desk, what dpi mouse, how many buttons to then program to do what

Controllers are a standard for videogames for a reason.

Thanks for the info Uni.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I’m not gonna argue that there is no advantage to making K+M an option for some things, so long as you prevent it from being used in multiplayer games where it grants an unfair advantage. But I cannot roll my eyes hard enough at “using a controller is an exercise in frustration.”

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

runchild posted:

I’m not gonna argue that there is no advantage to making K+M an option for some things, so long as you prevent it from being used in multiplayer games where it grants an unfair advantage. But I cannot roll my eyes hard enough at “using a controller is an exercise in frustration.”

For shooters, it absolutely is.

I love gamepads for *most* games, but I'm one of those people who can't aim with a gamepad to save my life, so of course I'd personally love KB+M support on consoles.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
considering the origins of "heated gaming moment" maybe it is better if we just don't let PC gamers get too frustrated

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I think this was debated in the Black Ops 4 thread, but if you let mouse and keyboard into competitive console multiplayer you're going to have to split the player base in two.

Like I said before, I can tell who is using XIM because they're able to turn around in mid-air in Battlefield. There's no world where those two setups merge seamlessly.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Competitive Multiplayer
Console

Pick one.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Devs aren't interested because it all costs more money. More QA, cert, servers, support etc. And historically every time a dev has gone to the effort it hasn't been worth it, there's not this giant audience just waiting for it.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I've gotten pretty good at playing Red Alert 3 with a controller but I wouldnt turn down KB&M..

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Competitive Multiplayer
Console

Pick one.

I don't mean competitive in a pro sense just that you cannot have m/kb mixed in with controllers and not expect the controller people to feel completely left behind.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Most people who refuse to adapt to controller are actually having trouble fighting against auto aim or deadzones. Better games let you calibrate that stuff but its annoyingly non standard

Mkb is undeniably able to do things pad cant but to be like "pad is unusable!" On a level playing field is a bit much

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Red Warrior posted:

Devs aren't interested because it all costs more money. More QA, cert, servers, support etc. And historically every time a dev has gone to the effort it hasn't been worth it, there's not this giant audience just waiting for it.

It's not hard for games, most of which have PC versions anyway, to support KB+M.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

GreatGreen posted:

Maybe consoles and their games might finally start supporting keyboards and mice!
This is 100% on game devs, support for KB+M at firmware level is excellent on both X1 and PS4.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Most people play consoles in their living room. I tried the living room pc/lap keyboard thing and it sucked rear end except for chill games like cities skylines, but even then my legs would get pins and needles after an hour.

I will never understand people who can't get used to controllers. I played RS Siege on PC with a controller and held my own.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Seige movement is so glacial i can believe it

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I refuse to use a mouse since they're great at inflicting RSI's, which heavily outweighs the control advantages for me. If you're gonna call one control method objectively better than another, it's probably worth considering long-term health impact. Controllers and trackpads are so much better for your wrist. Stay safe gamers

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

acksplode posted:

I refuse to use a mouse since they're great at inflicting RSI's, which heavily outweighs the control advantages for me. If you're gonna call one control method objectively better than another, it's probably worth considering long-term health impact. Controllers and trackpads are so much better for your wrist. Stay safe gamers

Trackballs already exist though, theory destroyed.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Real hurthling! posted:

Seige movement is so glacial i can believe it

It's no arena shooter but you'll die quick if you aren't moving and reacting first with precision aim.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah but i mean you never need to 360 no scope a dude while jumping through the air

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah but i mean you never need to 360 no scope a dude while jumping through the air

You've clearly never had to drop through a hatch with 10 seconds left in the overtime match point round.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I tried KB+M on Fortnite before Microsoft had official support listed for games. Only the keyboard worked so I had a couple of games where I was moving with the keyboard but aiming and shooting with the controller.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nullsmack posted:

I tried KB+M on Fortnite before Microsoft had official support listed for games. Only the keyboard worked so I had a couple of games where I was moving with the keyboard but aiming and shooting with the controller.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Grabbed Metro Exodus off gamepass and I love it. Liked the first two games but this is astounding. I wish we could get a mp fps that controls and looks like Metro. Something like Tarkov or Hell Let Loose.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Beastie posted:

Grabbed Metro Exodus off gamepass and I love it. Liked the first two games but this is astounding. I wish we could get a mp fps that controls and looks like Metro. Something like Tarkov or Hell Let Loose.

I personally found the controls to be the worst thing about the game. It felt like moving through sludge when trying to do anything. That loving rowboat level early on was the worst. Everything else about the game was great though!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

still a better controller than the dualshock 1-3

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
DS2 was good.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

American McGay posted:

DS2 was good.

nah. even the duke was better. but hey at least it wasn't as absolutely loving shitterrible as the dreamcast controller!

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
what’s wrong with the ps2/3 controllers? i liked em

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Microsoft: *copies the king of controllers, 20 years running*

America: idk...

Microsoft: *makes it fat*

America: Ok now I like it

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

heeheex2 posted:

what's wrong with the ps2/3 controllers? i liked em

pressure sensitive face buttons instead of analog triggers was one of the outright stupidest things sony could have possibly done with the ds2 and it made racing games absolutely horrid to play, and then when they did bring in analog triggers with the dualshock 3/sixaxis, they were fuckterrible garbage that your fingers slid off of super easily because of the terrible shape they settled on. like the triggers on the ds3 might actually be the worst thing on any controller i've ever used, and i own both an atari 5200 and an intellivision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Beastie posted:

It's on my to do list. How long will it likely stay on Games Pass?