Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

homeless snail posted:

Just like Crossfit

Cool, And nobody here is saying do crossfit either.

As someone who ran weights before and instantly dropped them when saber came out. Please lets not recommend weights to people k?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

KillHour posted:

It doesn't support VR, so it would just be a floating screen. I'm not sure why you think that would be just as good.

It supports VR and it's not a floating screen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My index was supposed to be delivered tomorrow, but I checked and apparently it's being delivered today. At least that's what it says. Hopefully that's true and they didn't just put it on a truck that will come tomorrow. I don't want to sit around here waiting for the doorbell all day for nothing since it has to be signed for.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cojawfee posted:

My index was supposed to be delivered tomorrow, but I checked and apparently it's being delivered today. At least that's what it says. Hopefully that's true and they didn't just put it on a truck that will come tomorrow. I don't want to sit around here waiting for the doorbell all day for nothing since it has to be signed for.

It shouldn't be scanned to be put on the truck unless it's going out for delivery that day. Who's delivering it?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Speaking of delivery, I haven't gotten any angry emails from Amazon about the extra Quest they sent. I think it's mine?

Nice

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Ordered a ProTube as I find trying to use a rifle with just controllers to be hot garbage.

Just wish it had been about $100 cheaper.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Cool, And nobody here is saying do crossfit either.

As someone who ran weights before and instantly dropped them when saber came out. Please lets not recommend weights to people k?
Agreed, that's why I didn't? you're real bad at reading

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

homeless snail posted:

Agreed, that's why I didn't? you're real bad at reading

Sure am sometimes. Happens.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

SCheeseman posted:

Speaking of delivery, I haven't gotten any angry emails from Amazon about the extra Quest they sent. I think it's mine?

Nice

They have always said to just keep the extra stuff I get from time to time. Are you looking to get rid of the extra one?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

Nice

Check your local laws. In a lot of jurisdictions the obligation is on the person receiving an item by mistake to contact the company who sent it and get permission to keep it, and if you don't do that it can be illegal to sell it.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Cojawfee posted:

The waiting game sucks rear end. My computer parts are going to be delivered today, so I'm patiently and quietly standing by until I hear that knock (since UPS never uses the doorbell). I can't play anything too loud because I won't hear the knock. The same goes with taking a nap. And I hate the thought of $2000 worth of poo poo sitting at my doorstep in plain view for porch pirates in +100F heat.

My first VR purchases are going to be:
Skyrim VR
Beat Saber + Imagine Dragons bundle
Elite Dangerous: Commander Deluxe Edition
Croteam VR Bundle (mostly want to play The Talos Principle, but willing to try the SS's)
No Man's Sky (had it launch, just waiting for update).

Future buys will probably be Blade & Sorcery, Gorn, and H3VR.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

KillHour posted:

It doesn't support VR, so it would just be a floating screen. I'm not sure why you think that would be just as good.

What are you talking about? Yes it does. :psyduck: It literally says right there on the front page that it supports Vive and Rift, and I know from experience dicking around with the flat version that there's a big fat "LAUNCH IN VR" button to make it go.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

NRVNQSR posted:

Check your local laws. In a lot of jurisdictions the obligation is on the person receiving an item by mistake to contact the company who sent it and get permission to keep it, and if you don't do that it can be illegal to sell it.

I don't know about private delivery companies, but anything sent through USPS is yours to keep. This was done in response to scams where people would just mail things to people and then demand payment.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

Amazon knew a day afterwards, they sent me an email giving me the option to send it back and if so then I could respond to their email. I elected not to respond. It was a very generously worded email.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Welp, I used my 100k points to get my own discount on beatsaber. Unfortunately I can't play it because I'm waiting for this stupid Fedex truck that will be here "by the end of the day"

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cojawfee posted:

Welp, I used my 100k points to get my own discount on beatsaber. Unfortunately I can't play it because I'm waiting for this stupid Fedex truck that will be here "by the end of the day"

Put on a heatset, grab some controllers, and walk outside and just pretend to play Beat Saber on your porch.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Got my thingmaker parts for the Quest DAS mod like SCheeseman got and they worked great. Everything clipped together very securely and boy what a difference the deluxe audio strap makes. Completely balances the front-heaviness and makes it incredibly comfortable while giving me great sound (though I am impressed the Quest built-in audio works as well as it does).

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Warbird posted:

So it turns out that if you don’t act on your Index reservation it goobers up something that won’t allow you to get back in line. Just a heads up for folks. I’m going to reach out to support and see if things can get resolved.

Yeah, I ran into this too. I actually just got a CS response thanking me for reporting it. They extended my reservation window, but I'll still be out of town for the estimated delivery. Hopefully they can fix the root of the issue.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Look at this badass loving move I pulled off in Blade and Sorcery holy poo poo I love VR so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beNomBLQYLo

Blade and Sorcery is the H3VR of swording people

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Index get

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Cojawfee posted:

Index get
Nice. I got my hardware, except I didn't get a heatsink because in years past the CPU came with a stock one. I didn't know I have to buy one separately :downs:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ijii posted:

Nice. I got my hardware, except I didn't get a heatsink because in years past the CPU came with a stock one. I didn't know I have to buy one separately :downs:

look just put your computer together and blow on the CPU a little, it'll be fine

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

ijii posted:

You bought an overclockable CPU model, that's why.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

ijii posted:

Whoops! Hopefully you've got a Fry's or something nearby.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Hellsau posted:

look just put your computer together and blow on the CPU a little, it'll be fine

lol if your cooling solution isn't several nubile servants waving palm fronds at your cpu

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cojawfee posted:

Index get

Awesome dude, FedEx has been pretty good to me when it comes to deliveries and their dude has a consistent time when he'll drop off. It's like the only delivery service I find reliable anymore.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Hey uh, visualizer dudes, this already exists

I'm not really sure how it is in VR, but it's pretty neat flat

That's cool and all but can I punch any of those scenes?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Songbearer posted:

Look at this badass loving move I pulled off in Blade and Sorcery holy poo poo I love VR so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beNomBLQYLo

Blade and Sorcery is the H3VR of swording people
Man this game really needs to lower the frequency of that stupid AI spinny attack by about 100x.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The index is pretty neat and I'm enjoying it despite how poo poo SteamVR is. It seems like it hasn't gotten any better since that last time I tried to use it. "reset seated position" straight up doesn't work at all. Steam regularly locks up entirely and that means I can no longer access the desktop view (which still sucks) and I can also not access the Steam menu to start a game or whatever. An Index that could natively use the oculus software would be amazing. Valve needs to get their heads out of their asses and put some effort into their software.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its easy you just
1 - close steam
2 - find steam in bottom right thing, right click on it, really close it
3 - ctrl-alt-delete, check to be sure steam actually stopped
4 - count to 5
5 - start steam
6 - give it a minute to see if its gonna kick off an update
7 - if so wait it out and repeat 1 - 5
8 - fight your way through alerts, warnings, offerings, licenses, modals, etc to your game
9 - play your game

this process has worked extremely reliably for me since the day cs1.6 was released.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Index get

am I not the only weirdo that still says (or I guess just thinks) this occasionally in reference to the Japanese Mario Sunshine star acquisition screen

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The Walrus posted:

am I not the only weirdo that still says (or I guess just thinks) this occasionally in reference to the Japanese Mario Sunshine star acquisition screen

MegaMan X 8 for me.

I know y'all ain't big on WMR, but what would you think of it if it's being used almost exclusively for tilt brush / to supplement a dying laptop screen? Microcenter has the HP model with controllers available for $170 and I'm thinking of giving it a shot.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

ItBreathes posted:

MegaMan X 8 for me.

I know y'all ain't big on WMR, but what would you think of it if it's being used almost exclusively for tilt brush / to supplement a dying laptop screen? Microcenter has the HP model with controllers available for $170 and I'm thinking of giving it a shot.

I had that model, enjoyed my time with it, managed to get a vive setup for really cheap so I gifted that set to my brother. It's absolutely fine, you won't be able to hold rifle stocks up to your chin in the shooting games, but I didn't regret getting my one

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

ItBreathes posted:

MegaMan X 8 for me.

For $170 its a good deal. There are issues with it and its tracking, and at their new price of 300-400 its not worth it with the rift s out there, but if you find it on sale for sub $200, theres really nothing else that can compete (unless you get some amazing deal on a used system).

Just make sure your laptop is actually powerful enough to run VR though, I would say. It needs to have a dedicated GPU, and generally not through a system that routes it through the onboard video.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

The controllers are kinda bad, but the headset itself is pretty great imo. Comfy and with a great display.

Totally usable for sit down games with a HOTAS/wheel, and standing games that don’t use virtual rifles (like tilt brush)

I got mine for $149 and don’t regret it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Thanks y'all. The laptop has a 950M which I dont have high hopes for, but hopefully might work for non-demanding applications, but I can hook it up to a gaming desktop if not.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The Walrus posted:

That's how always reMemeber it, yeah

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I have a problem with my Rift wherein every time I click on something in the storefront the screen goes grey and tracking gets hosed and it never loads the store, then I have to kill/restart the app. I can view/buy from the store on the PC, though. Has anyone encountered this?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Nuts and Gum posted:

I have a problem with my Rift wherein every time I click on something in the storefront the screen goes grey and tracking gets hosed and it never loads the store, then I have to kill/restart the app. I can view/buy from the store on the PC, though. Has anyone encountered this?

The in-headset store is terrible and can be safely ignored, because it's just a less-useful version of the flatscreen store. It'd be real cool if there were 3D VR trailers or previews, but it's just the same screenshots and videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Quest tracking update cannot come soon enough. Playing this one beat saber song (Fractures) with particular arm crossing motions that it's really struggling to track on fast E+, my sabers keep disappearing or becoming fixed in place in front of me or spinning off into space. Think I might need to mod the battery spring or something too, have people been doing that for the Rift S/Quest touch controllers?