Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

This is dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
i got a cool job framing dank art for galleries and museums which not only means i can now frame my plates however i want for cost price but i have access to unlimited offcuts of non reflective art glass so i thought id try out the 5 1/2 x 14 inch plate inserts on my 11x14 camera

i like the format so im gonna go with it for a while

also looking for another beater 8x10 field camera of anyone knows if any for sale

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
That's dope.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I really like this one too.

Has anyone tried the SP-445?
https://shop.stearmanpress.com/collections/photography/products/flight-pack-sp-445-film-and-chemistry

This seems like a good deal for experimenting...

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I've seen one but never actually used it. It seems pretty straightforward. The film is loaded onto two frames that can take two sheets each. It doesn't look any more complex than a regular Paterson/Jobo setup. Agitation is by inversion only as there's no drum to spin.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I have two, and recommend them. The only advantage Mod54 has is that it can load 6 sheets as opposed to 4, but I never loaded the full six sheets anyway so it was a moot point. I also noticed my Mod54 would sometimes leave marks from the plastic fingers, while the SP-445 doesn’t have any plastic touching the emulsion at all.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'll add it to the list!

In other news, my Intrepid Mk4 finally shipped. Hopefully I'll have more luck with than people here :).
I also got a change bag yesterday and it was obviously too small. (23"x23"). Found a Harrison Pup Changing tent on Ebay and bought that instead.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Lion Rock on Ektar 4x5. First time I've done LF colour and first time using a spotmeter. I thought I'd underexposed a bit looking at the negative but it scanned OK. My 5 month old C-41 chemicals are still going strong (I've only put the equivalent of 6 full 35mm rolls through it so it should still have some capacity left).

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Blackhawk posted:

Lion Rock on Ektar 4x5. First time I've done LF colour and first time using a spotmeter. I thought I'd underexposed a bit looking at the negative but it scanned OK. My 5 month old C-41 chemicals are still going strong (I've only put the equivalent of 6 full 35mm rolls through it so it should still have some capacity left).

:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm obsessed with Luca Tombolini's landscapes, but his prints are way out of my price range. Any suggestions for photographers that do similar large format stuff?

His stuff is seriously inspiring and is making me consider trying large format for the first time. My wallet is hosed.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 7, 2019

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

That's pretty epic!

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Blackhawk posted:

This is absolutely fantastic

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I like your glass plate stuff, do they come out as a direct positive image? Also you need a mobile dark room to do those right?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
thanks man, yeah they're direct positives. same as tintypes except i need to back the clear glass with black to see the image or use black glass or dark colored glass.

and yeah ive converted my toyota van into a mobile darkroom. got pulled over and searched by the cops once which was actually a funny experience.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Is there a consensus "cheapest large format camera worth buying", or is the link in the op still pretty accurate?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Blackhawk posted:

Huh. I usually don't like Ektar's tonality, but that's really, really good. I think it's the first time I've seen it live up to the promise of 'like slide film, but C41'.
How did you meter that, if I may ask?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Google Butt posted:

Is there a consensus "cheapest large format camera worth buying", or is the link in the op still pretty accurate?

So, I've gone against the advice of consensus and ordered an Intrepid Mk4*....however, there's still a significant amount of stuff you need to buy beyond that:

- Lens (doh!
- Cable release
- Film holders
- Changing bag/tent (or darkroom)
- Tripod sufficiently strong.
- Loupe (for checking focus)
- film!

While none of it is outright expensive, it still quickly adds up.
Then you may want to develop your own film, add filters, etc and before you know it, it's another $1000+.

*And the thread might be right about Intrepid. I haven't even received the camera yet and they're barely replying to my emails. It is supposedly shipped, though!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Google Butt posted:

Chamonix.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Saving money on the camera is a false economy.

Your big expenses are elsewhere, and also if you cheap out on the camera you’re gonna spend the money on the good thing in the end anyways so just get the good thing now.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Wild EEPROM posted:

Saving money on the camera is a false economy.

Your big expenses are elsewhere, and also if you cheap out on the camera you’re gonna spend the money on the good thing in the end anyways so just get the good thing now.

truth. LF is only for people that hate money

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Gotcha, in that case LF is probably out of the equation until I get my Sony a7ii and lenses at least. Is MF marginally cheaper or significantly so?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Google Butt posted:

Gotcha, in that case LF is probably out of the equation until I get my Sony a7ii and lenses at least. Is MF marginally cheaper or significantly so?

I already had the stuff to develop my own film when I bought my yashica mat, so in my case the transition was less than 100 bucks. That being said, my camera’s a clapped out, temperamental old bastard, so I’d say you’ll want to look for a TLR body that’s at least a few hundred bucks if you want something that works but doesn’t break the bank. More than that if you want something with interchangeable lenses.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Yond Cassius posted:

Huh. I usually don't like Ektar's tonality, but that's really, really good. I think it's the first time I've seen it live up to the promise of 'like slide film, but C41'.
How did you meter that, if I may ask?

Cheers, I used a pentax v spot meter and took measurements from the lightest and darkest spots of the scene and the subject (the rock). Can't remember the exact values off the top of my head but it was something like a range of EV 9 to 14? I believe I exposed at EV 12, I used a 0.9 stop soft grad ND as well not that I probably needed it.

Developed at home in 5 month old c41 chemicals using the taco method, the negatives looked a little thin so I was worried that I'd underexposed but it could have also just been that the scene was fairly low contrast and it scanned well anyway.

DSLR scan with a sony a7rii, two shots stitched together. Negative lab pro to do the invert, some colour correction and a bit of playing with the standard lightroom sliders.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
An ND with optical density of 0.9 is 3 stops, which might be more than you needed, but the shot looks great.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Shouldn't you spend that A7ii money on the LF camera?
MF can be very cheap or expensive depending on the camera you get and its condition.
Which is exactly the same as LF. You can get a super cheap LF monorail camera for like a hundred bucks or so.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

alkanphel posted:

Shouldn't you spend that A7ii money on the LF camera?
MF can be very cheap or expensive depending on the camera you get and its condition.
Which is exactly the same as LF. You can get a super cheap LF monorail camera for like a hundred bucks or so.

Fair point. I'll likely have about $1500 assuming I'm able to sell my full kit, I'll investigate those monorail cameras as well.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Google Butt posted:

Camera costs aside, because it doesn’t make any sense to compare camera prices (you can buy 35mm cameras that are more expensive than entire LF kits), LF is significantly more expensive per shot.

Again, it’s a false economy if you’re after the LF experience, though. Shooting LF is different to other formats even before you develop the negatives.

[edit: I also think it’s a false economy to get a camera you’ll never take into the field with you, monorails seem like a PITA to me though I know other people here have used them and might have better insight...

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
buying new digital cameras is dumb imho unless youre a business and can claim it on tax. ditch the sony and buy a chamonix

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Sludge Tank posted:

buying new digital cameras is dumb imho unless youre a business and can claim it on tax. ditch the sony and buy a chamonix

Yeah it's been collecting dust for a long time, and I've also been using my x100f exclusively for a while now. I miss the reward of shooting film, and I think LF landscape photography in particular will give me the motivation I need to see some new places.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Monorails are incredibly frustrating to shoot in the field, not worth it at all

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

ansel autisms posted:

Monorails are incredibly frustrating to shoot in the field, not worth it at all

what exactly is so frustrating? would it still be a pain to just be shooting within spitting distance of a car?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

They're just not very convenient size-wise, I shot an 8x10 monorail for a while and it was just so massive and cumbersome

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Fair point. I'll likely have about $1500 assuming I'm able to sell my full kit, I'll investigate those monorail cameras as well.

I was kinda joking about the monorail camera, they're so cheap because no one wants them. Like ansel autisms said, they're really troublesome to use in the field. The Chamonix is still the recommended camera to go for if you can afford it.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

For reference I got the chamonix 45n-2 because that was the brand recommendation of the thread and I wanted something for hiking/landscape shots. It's a beautiful piece of work, very well made and finished, works perfectly and does everything it needs to do. Not the cheapest or the lightest option but I'm very happy with the results.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Where did you get your Charmonix from and how long did it take for them to ship it?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Where did you get your Charmonix from and how long did it take for them to ship it?

i ordered my chamonix 11x14 straight from Hugo (the Chamonix guy) and it arrived to me in Australia from China in 5 days.

the 4x5 chamonix is very light, and especially for the sturdiness and functionality of it.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 9, 2019

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Get it from Chamonix themselves (Hugo), don't buy from the eBay seller that has em. It took me about 4 weeks to get mine from payment to camera in hand in the US.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

That's good to know, I was just looking at ebay for one. I priced out a a development kit a few years back when I was looking into MF, but is there a LF specific accessory/development list/primer for that gear similar to the camera one in the op?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

changing tent - harrison style pup tents are best, IMO
film holders - new-style plastic ones like Riteway with the handle on top or Fidelity Elite, 5 will let you load a whole box at once
loupe - not 100% required but good to get critical focus
hood - i have a beyond the zone system hood that's very good. like the loupe this is not absolutely necessary but helps significantly
lens and board - each LF lens comes as glass elements mounted in a shutter. you'll need to mount this into a lens board that matches the shutter size. chamonix uses Linhof-style lens boards.
tripod (duh)
light meter

that's pretty much it. pay a lab to develop your poo poo, developing really loses its charm after a while