Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Final Frontier was also filmed during a writers' strike, wasn't it?

Not quite. What happened is the WGA went on strike right when Shatner, Bennett and David Loughery had essentially cracked the story. When the strike ended, Loughery had about a month to write the script. The Final Frontier was essentially shot with a first-draft script.

Also, the Teamsters went on strike like a day or two before principal photography began. That didn't help matters.

skasion posted:

Didn’t Generations also blow a ton of money on the Stellar Cartography set that ended up being in one scene?

Yes, Herman Zimmerman built a huge, sprawling set for Stellar Cartography, but painted all the pylons with a glossy silver, being a dumbass and not realizing that this would lead to significant spill issues on the giant loving blue screen. They had to waste a day of an already-rushed filming schedule because the crew had to put dulling spray on everything.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I think Insurrection wound up spending a shitload of money on building the Baku village twice.

The test audience for Generations hated the original ending so much (where Kirk just gets shot in the back, another brilliant decision from Ron Moore) that Paramount spent several million dollars to rebuild the sets and drag the cast back out to the desert to shoot a new ending.

I don't remember any big chicanery happening with First Contact but I could be missing something.

Yeah, Insurrection wound up being the most-expensive of the TNG movies because they wound up having to go back and re-shoot about 20 - 25 minutes of the movie because it tested incredibly poorly. All that location shooting is a lot more expensive than shooting on a soundstage.

First Contact's chicanery was during pre-production, when Moore and Braga weren't getting a script done that everyone liked. Stewart had a clause in his contract stating that he could bring in a writer of his own after a certain amount of time, so he hired Ross LaManna, the eminent auteur who wrote Rush Hour, to take over for Moore and Braga.

His poo poo wound up sucking so much that Moore and Braga were put back on the movie almost immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I hope the Picard Vineyards are a major plot point in the new show, but in a thoughtful TNG way and not a dumb Disco way.

e:

TNG-style: slightly campy but ultimately moving examination of the nature of dealing with grief and trauma

Disco-style: latent Borg programming is forcing Picard to unwittingly grow Cabbage Patch-style Borg drones in the vineyards

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 8, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
Roving Parisian gangs burn the Picard vineyards to the ground, forcing John Luc back into Starfleet.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Generations was in a uniquely weird spot as far as Star Trek movies go. It came out just 6 months after its TV counterpart ended... and said TV show had been wrapped up very elegantly, on its own terms.

So like, what do you do with that? What story do you tell? The result feels like they had a hard time answering those questions.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Timby posted:

First Contact's chicanery was during pre-production, when Moore and Braga weren't getting a script done that everyone liked. Stewart had a clause in his contract stating that he could bring in a writer of his own after a certain amount of time, so he hired Ross LaManna, the eminent auteur who wrote Rush Hour, to take over for Moore and Braga.

His poo poo wound up sucking so much that Moore and Braga were put back on the movie almost immediately.

Thank goodness Patrick doesn't have any control of STP.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Minidust posted:

Generations was in a uniquely weird spot as far as Star Trek movies go. It came out just 6 months after its TV counterpart ended... and said TV show had been wrapped up very elegantly, on its own terms.

So like, what do you do with that? What story do you tell? The result feels like they had a hard time answering those questions.

Weren't the movie and the finale being done at the exact same time by the same people?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Astroman posted:

Getting from the saucer section to the engineering hull is the secondmost underappreciated accomplishment one can make in their Starfleet career.

The only way I can figure out how to get from one hull to the other in the Oberth is if the turbolifts are Willy Wonka style and fly through the space between.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nullsmack posted:

The only way I can figure out how to get from one hull to the other in the Oberth is if the turbolifts are Willy Wonka style and fly through the space between.

I have never entirely understood the scale and structure of the Galaxy class due to it's 'neck.' To me that has always looked too thin and I don't understand how you turbolift from the bridge to engineering through it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The best part about the Duras sisters were that one's name ended in "a" and the other in "r" so you got to hear how silly Patrick Stewart's accent was as he kept saying "Lursor" and "Beta."

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I hope the Picard Vineyards are a major plot point in the new show, but in a thoughtful TNG way and not a dumb Disco way.

e:

TNG-style: slightly campy but ultimately moving examination of the nature of dealing with grief and trauma

Disco-style: latent Borg programming is forcing Picard to unwittingly grow Cabbage Patch-style Borg drones in the vineyards

Why do you still have hope

*grabs you by the shoulders and begins shaking you violently*

why do you still have hope

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPColin posted:

The best part about the Duras sisters were that one's name ended in "a" and the other in "r" so you got to hear how silly Patrick Stewart's accent was as he kept saying "Lursor" and "Beta."

That drove 10-year-old me nuts when I saw Generations in the theater.

The only worse line reading is in Undiscovered Country, when Kim Cattrall puts the absolute wrong emphasis when delivering, "Captain, may I remind you that regulations specify thrusters only while in Spacedock."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

Times Arrow is great.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Orv posted:

Roving Parisian gangs burn the Picard vineyards to the ground, forcing John Luc back into Starfleet. to shoot them from his vineyard buggy

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Nullsmack posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a background animation in Insurrection that shows the turbolift going through the Enterprise-E, and it includes it going horizontally.

I know it's not the same time period, but it's still probable.

Orv
May 4, 2011

That's just the first episode of course.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The internet is like a public toilet - necessary in many cases and overall a societal boon, but there are assholes everywhere and someone always tries to make a mess.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Orv posted:

That's just the first episode of course.

Oh oh and Brent Spiner should be The Voice of The Buggy

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Um the turbolift is seen to go sideways in TOS fer cryin' out loud. Dunno which episode(s) offhand, but I distinctly recall the high-pitched tone stopping and resuming while the lines in the little window thing switch from sweeping vertically to horizontally.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tighclops posted:

Why do you still have hope

*grabs you by the shoulders and begins shaking you violently*

why do you still have hope

Disco was stupid but not the massive abomination people seem to think it was. Picard will be fine.

e: in terms of using older IP/characters in newer shows, I think most people would agree that the absolute highlight of Disco across both seasons was Pike.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Um the turbolift is seen to go sideways in TOS fer cryin' out loud. Dunno which episode(s) offhand

Probably every scene with a turbolift.

iraqniphobia
Aug 21, 2003

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Um the turbolift is seen to go sideways in TOS fer cryin' out loud. Dunno which episode(s) offhand, but I distinctly recall the high-pitched tone stopping and resuming while the lines in the little window thing switch from sweeping vertically to horizontally.

Red letter media showed a diagram during their Star Trek 2009 review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIYfr_9Zpwk&t=256s

4:16 if the timestamp doesn't work.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
^^^EDIT: That's a cool video.

I think it's well established that the turbolift cars can move vertically and horizontally, which I guess is like the Willy Wonka elevator but I was referring to the end of that movie/book where it flies out of its rails into the sky. It's possible that the ones on the Oberth can fly out of the main hull straight to the engineering hull.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nullsmack posted:

^^^EDIT: That's a cool video.

I think it's well established that the turbolift cars can move vertically and horizontally, which I guess is like the Willy Wonka elevator but I was referring to the end of that movie/book where it flies out of its rails into the sky. It's possible that the ones on the Oberth can fly out of the main hull straight to the engineering hull.

It's always hilarious when the ship starts maneuvering while a turbolift is making the "jump" between sections, and instead of sliding neatly into the receptacle on the other section, they go SPLAT into a million pieces a few meters to one side.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Hipster_Doofus posted:

gene had deeply ruminated on all the relevant lore aforehand. it was mostly alien dick sizes but turbbolifts were also in there

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

lost my old email posted:

gene had deeply ruminated on all the relevant lore aforehand. it was mostly alien dick sizes but turbbolifts were also in there

Waves and Waves of cum just flowing out of the turbolift.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have to admit, "he likes it in Jeffrey's tube" is an inspired line.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Powered Descent posted:

It's always hilarious when the ship starts maneuvering while a turbolift is making the "jump" between sections, and instead of sliding neatly into the receptacle on the other section, they go SPLAT into a million pieces a few meters to one side.

Uh hello, tractor beams.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I hear if you jump right before the turbolift impacts the hull, you’ll be alright

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

BioEnchanted posted:

The internet is like a public toilet - necessary in many cases and overall a societal boon, but there are assholes everywhere and someone always tries to make a mess.

...?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skasion posted:

I hear if you jump right before the turbolift impacts the hull, you’ll be alright

Maybe the Oberth was a prototype design for site-to-site transport.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also there was some ~orbital skydiving~ scene with Kirk they shot that was cut.

Shatner's stunt double got injured during filming as the parachute didn't open. Don't think that had anything to do with the scene being cut though.

Re: Oberth turbolifts. The turbonerd who runs ex-astris-scientia.org did some caculations and apparently the struts between the saucer and engineering hulls are too thin for a turbolift to pass through.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Re: Oberth turbolifts. The turbonerd who runs ex-astris-scientia.org did some caculations and apparently the struts between the saucer and engineering hulls are too thin for a turbolift to pass through.

they get transported through the narrow bit obvs

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Powered Descent posted:

I'm imagining each one has thrusters and or some system to compensate for that sort of thing. Though it is hilarious to consider if it just shoots it out one side and then receives it on the other.

What if you could step into a turbolift on one bridge and request it deliver you to the bridge of another nearby compatible ship directly?

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

turbolifts move at supra warp speeds and plot relevant conversations are how the human mind interprets the delizardification process

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nullsmack posted:

What if you could step into a turbolift on one bridge and request it deliver you to the bridge of another nearby compatible ship directly?

It worked fine in well over 99% of simulations

What could go wrong

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

The Bloop posted:

It worked fine in well over 99% of simulations

What could go wrong

Great, we can slap a "More reliable than transporters" sticker on the thing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nullsmack posted:

Make the turbolift shafts a bit bigger and you can arrange things so that the lift cars actually ARE full-fledged shuttlecraft. You just step in and tell it where you want to go, whether that's "Deck 10" or "Romulus", and it takes you there.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

willy wonka had this technology back in the 60's wrap it up star failures

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Actually the dumbest version of the Wonkavator ever put on film was in DISCO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

lost my old email posted:

turbolifts move at supra warp speeds and plot relevant conversations are how the human mind interprets the delizardification process

The Oberth-class turbolifts move at warp 10. Step inside, the door closes, and you're instantaneously at your destination in the secondary hull.

You're also everywhere else on the universe at the same time, but that's an engineering problem. I'm sure they'll have it solved any day now.

Our people are on the threshold of success.