Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

hobbesmaster posted:

Which is a good plan because 3 mile island melted down and there were no raised radiation levels past the gate.

The thing about meltdowns is that Chernobyl really was a freak accident and its not suposed to just explode like that.

3 miles island is what a meltdown is suposed to look like. That is, if its suposed to look like anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dalael posted:

Yes but how does that create value for the shareholders :smugbert:

Finance is not economics. :ssh:

Eat the rich.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Dalael posted:

:shrug:
Which is why im big on renewable sources which are now worth investing into compared to even just one decade ago.

Renewables are not feasible for replacing the entire grid in the timeframe that we need to do it to at least "minimize" the impending disaster. Nuclear is absolutely necessary as part of the solution at this point. All of human energy usage needs to be off of fossil fuels in ten years.

It won't happen, but nuclear is the only way it could.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Nail Rat posted:

Renewables are not feasible for replacing the entire grid in the timeframe that we need to do it to at least "minimize" the impending disaster. Nuclear is absolutely necessary as part of the solution at this point. All of human energy usage needs to be off of fossil fuels in ten years.

It won't happen, but nuclear is the only way it could.

And here's where all those links i provided comes into play.

Most nuclear reactors cost billions, take an entire decade to build AND get cancelled before ever producing anything. I provided source for this multiple times too.

Im sorry, it really isnt part of the solution. Renewables are cheaper, easier to maintain and can be build faster.

People love to claim that renewables can't cut it but the fact is, the problem is political will. Nothing more.

Im not gonna source again cuz im in the bus but you can look back in this thread and a few others.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
For the sake of the argument:

According to a review of the 181 peer-reviewed papers on 100% renewable energy which were published until 2018, "[t]he great majority of all publications highlights the technical feasibility and economic viability of 100% RE systems." While there are still many publications which focus on electricity only, there is a growing number of papers that cover different energy sectors and sector-coupled, integrated energy systems. This cross-sectoral, holistic approach is seen as an important feature of 100% renewable energy systems and is based on the assumption "that the best solutions can be found only if one focuses on the synergies between the sectors" of the energy system such as electricity, heat, transport or industry.

*sourced from wiki cuz of bus. But you can look into it, look at actual research on the subjects. Dont listen to Fox or those republicans who show up on Maher's show.

100% renewable is quite feasable. We just dont want to.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dalael posted:

For the sake of the argument:

According to a review of the 181 peer-reviewed papers on 100% renewable energy which were published until 2018, "[t]he great majority of all publications highlights the technical feasibility and economic viability of 100% RE systems." While there are still many publications which focus on electricity only, there is a growing number of papers that cover different energy sectors and sector-coupled, integrated energy systems. This cross-sectoral, holistic approach is seen as an important feature of 100% renewable energy systems and is based on the assumption "that the best solutions can be found only if one focuses on the synergies between the sectors" of the energy system such as electricity, heat, transport or industry.

*sourced from wiki cuz of bus. But you can look into it, look at actual research on the subjects. Dont listen to Fox or those republicans who show up on Maher's show.

And when we do "want to" we end up with Germany's situation in which more carbon is being used under the plan than before it.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

And when we do "want to" we end up with Germany's situation in which more carbon is being used under the plan than before it.

Please source your quote.

https://knoema.com/atlas/Germany/CO2-emissions-per-capita?mode=amp

quote:

CO2 emissions per capita

9.47 (metric tons) in 2016

In 2016, CO2 emissions per capita for Germany was 9.47 metric tons. Though Germany CO2 emissions per capita fluctuated substantially in recent years, it tended to decrease through 1997 - 2016 period ending at 9.47 metric tons in 2016

But lets not just use one source. Here is another:

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.ATM.CO2E.PC?locations=DE

*edit: been fiddling with this one, really cool site to know most countries' co2 emission. You can see graphs for many criterias. Nice site it turns out.

As you can see, Germany's emission have been going down.

Here is the thing, when it comes to renewables there is SO MUCH misinformation out there because so many stand to lose so much money.

10 to 20 years ago, renewables were not cosr effective enough. Now they are because yechnology has advanced. Most things that held true a out renewables a decade ago, is now wrong.

A great proof of concept is the giant battery in Australia which is doing wonders.

*edit: anyways, in the end ppl.can do what they will.with this info. Just keep in mind this: since 3 miles island over 120 reactors were planned and cancelled in the US alone. 7 of those were started in 2008 and were cancelled after billions in public money was spent.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 8, 2019

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Dalael posted:

Please source your quote.

https://knoema.com/atlas/Germany/CO2-emissions-per-capita?mode=amp

But lets not just use one source. Here is another:

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.ATM.CO2E.PC?locations=DE

*edit: been fiddling with this one, really cool site to know most countries' co2 emission. You can see graphs for many criterias. Nice site it turns out.

As you can see, Germany's emission have been going down.

Here is the thing, when it comes to renewables there is SO MUCH misinformation out there because so many stand to lose so much money.

10 to 20 years ago, renewables were not cosr effective enough. Now they are because yechnology has advanced. Most things that held true a out renewables a decade ago, is now wrong.

A great proof of concept is the giant battery in Australia which is doing wonders.
according to this environmentalist dude https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-yALPEpV4w wind and solar consume tons of rare metals (which need to be mined and manufactured), take up huge real estate (paving over hundreds of square kilometers of natural wilderness), and need practically to be supplemented by fossil fuels due to the relationship between fluctuation of their output and the capacity and demand of the energy grid

Zane fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 9, 2019

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Germany is responsible for more coal-related illnesses than any other EU member state.

Of France's 1,400 deaths to coal, all but fifty were on the German border.

France has also produced more fossil-free energy than domestic demand for years.

Funny that.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dalael posted:

Nuclear is also 100% political will. Do you think some magical anti-nuke fairy comes out and cancels nuclear power projects like some kind of loving wizard?

No, it's NIMBYism. The same NIMBYism that shuts down your vaunted renewable projects because they don't like the look of windmills or solar panels. The same NIMBYism that ensures we're all going to cook to death in our self-made hot planet.

Political will is the trivial answer and makes you look like an idiot when you bring it up. Of loving course political will is a part of it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Here’s a fascinating article and visual tour of the Arizona nuclear plant.

https://allthingsnuclear.org/dlochbaum/visit-to-the-palo-verde-nuclear-generating-station

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Warmachine posted:

Nuclear is also 100% political will. Do you think some magical anti-nuke fairy comes out and cancels nuclear power projects like some kind of loving wizard?

No, it's NIMBYism. The same NIMBYism that shuts down your vaunted renewable projects because they don't like the look of windmills or solar panels. The same NIMBYism that ensures we're all going to cook to death in our self-made hot planet.

Political will is the trivial answer and makes you look like an idiot when you bring it up. Of loving course political will is a part of it.

Nimbyism is one of the worst things about the current green movement. The Green Party here–and as a result, Extinction Rebellion–are more concerned with greenwashing their opposition to high-speed electric rail than actually supporting efforts towards emissions reductions.

All because the Leader of the Green Party at the time wanted to get a few more council seats in London.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TinTower posted:

Nimbyism is one of the worst things about the current green movement. The Green Party here–and as a result, Extinction Rebellion–are more concerned with greenwashing their opposition to high-speed electric rail than actually supporting efforts towards emissions reductions.

All because the Leader of the Green Party at the time wanted to get a few more council seats in London.

It's the same in the United States, only with 100% more anti-vax dogwhistling.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Gonz posted:

Here’s a fascinating article and visual tour of the Arizona nuclear plant.

https://allthingsnuclear.org/dlochbaum/visit-to-the-palo-verde-nuclear-generating-station

I beg your pardon but the company that designed these nuclear reactors is called "Combustion Engineering"?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

NoDamage posted:

Fair enough, but that does raise the question: what the hell happened at Fukushima and how could such an accident have happened in 2011?

Simple. Company bought plans for plant set for certain terrain conditions. Said company alters those terrain conditions but do not alter plans to adjust for those changes.
Fukushima was to be built on a bluff that would have been high enough to avoid this mess, hence why the generators were on the lower levels. Company that built the plant leveled the bluff to rest the plant on solid bedrock, but did not change the location of the generators

k-19 reboot off to a good start then?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

NoDamage posted:

Even if it wasn't as bad as Chernobyl, it makes it clear that nuclear accidents can still happen in this day and age. Considering the fact that cleaning up the mess is going to cost $200 billion and take 40 years I think it's entirely reasonable to question whether the cost/benefit is actually worthwhile.

When you consider the alternatives https://insideclimatenews.org/news/16012019/coal-ash-groundwater-contamination-map-arsenic-power-plant-utility-reports
It seems worse because coal and fossil fuel plants have been around for a century or more and don't have the immediate effects unless, say, a dam gives way and buries a town in coal ash https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston_Fossil_Plant_coal_fly_ash_slurry_spill

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

That said, Philadelphia was very lucky to not have to suffer Bhopal II: American Boogaloo recently.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Warmachine posted:

I can get behind the idea that NIMBYism will be the death of us all. It checks out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dalael posted:

I can get behind the idea that NIMBYism will be the death of us all. It checks out.

Maybe for you, but not where I live.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

So what is the plan if society collapses to all of these nuclear plants? Or if there is a mass breakdown of law and order for say 2-3 months before things get reigned in. Won't the reactors slowly go critical?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Last man out SCRAMs the pile.

Though taking off and nuking the nukes from orbit would be a pretty good way of signing off.

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 9, 2019

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SimonCat posted:

Last man out SRAMs the pile.

That seems... uh... excessive.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Warmachine posted:

Until Solar Power though human hubris causes a calamity that almost renders a couple countries uninhabitable for centuries political resistance and Nimbyism to renewables would probably be far easier to surmount than it would for nuclear.

Also there isn’t much point touting how few people have died due to nuclear energy given how it was almost by accident that Eastern Europe didn’t become a radioactive wasteland due to Chernobyl.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I mean, there are the toxic neodymium lakes of Mongolia…

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

mikemil828 posted:

Until Solar Power though human hubris causes a calamity that almost renders a couple countries uninhabitable for centuries political resistance and Nimbyism to renewables would probably be far easier to surmount than it would for nuclear.

Also there isn’t much point touting how few people have died due to nuclear energy given how it was almost by accident that Eastern Europe didn’t become a radioactive wasteland due to Chernobyl.

How are we resolving the issues with storing solar and wind power for when the wind and sun aren't being effective?

How are we resolving the massage storage of old toxic batteries that comes as a consequence when we solve that first major issue?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Nail Rat posted:

How are we resolving the issues with storing solar and wind power for when the wind and sun aren't being effective?

How are we resolving the massage storage of old toxic batteries that comes as a consequence when we solve that first major issue?

On your first point, storage issues is absolutely not a problem and it is quite clearly demonstrated by "The company that shall not be named" with the giant battery in Australia. I can provide you some links if you're interested. It's been in operation about 1 year, has helped reducing Australia's blackouts significantly, reacts faster than the current grid and has made back about 1/3 of its cost already. It's absolutely amazing and I highly recommend checking it out. I /think/ a similar thing is being proposed for Puerto Rico.

Regarding your second point, most type of batteries can actually be recycled but it's just not cost neutral. It's still much better than having to bury highly radioactive material deep in the ground for 50 000 years (which is also not cost neutral). There's also new batteries being developed, such as the one featured here which are much safer (won't explode). I'm not sure if they're more environmentally friendly tho...

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

How do we resolve the issue of The Simpsons making GBS threads on the nuclear power industry for the past 30 years? Whatever technical challenges renewable energy has pale in comparison.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

mikemil828 posted:

Rising temperatures are going to turn the whole world into a wasteland. Frankly, I think we're better equipped to manage human hubris than we are unending natural disasters.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Dalael posted:

On your first point, storage issues is absolutely not a problem and it is quite clearly demonstrated by "The company that shall not be named" with the giant battery in Australia. I can provide you some links if you're interested. It's been in operation about 1 year, has helped reducing Australia's blackouts significantly, reacts faster than the current grid and has made back about 1/3 of its cost already. It's absolutely amazing and I highly recommend checking it out. I /think/ a similar thing is being proposed for Puerto Rico.

Regarding your second point, most type of batteries can actually be recycled but it's just not cost neutral. It's still much better than having to bury highly radioactive material deep in the ground for 50 000 years (which is also not cost neutral). There's also new batteries being developed, such as the one featured here which are much safer (won't explode). I'm not sure if they're more environmentally friendly tho...

Lithium battery production is horrific.

article posted:

But lithium may not be the most problematic ingredient of modern rechargeable batteries. It is relatively abundant, and could in theory be generated from seawater in future, albeit through a very energy-intensive process.

Two other key ingredients, cobalt and nickel, are more in danger of creating a bottleneck in the move towards electric vehicles, and at a potentially huge environmental cost. Cobalt is found in huge quantities right across the Democratic Republic of Congo and central Africa, and hardly anywhere else. The price has quadrupled in the last two years.

Unlike most metals, which are not toxic when they’re pulled from the ground as metal ores, cobalt is “uniquely terrible,” according to Gleb Yushin, chief technical officer and founder of battery materials company Sila Nanotechnologies.

“One of the biggest challenges with cobalt is that it’s located in one country,” he adds. You can literally just dig up the land and find cobalt, so there’s a very strong motivation to dig it up and sell it, and a a result there’s a lot of motivation for unsafe and unethical behaviour.” The Congo is home to ‘artisanal mines’, where cobalt is extracted from the ground by hand, often using child labour, without protective equipment.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lithium-batteries-environment-impact

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

Baronash posted:

Rising temperatures are going to turn the whole world into a wasteland. Frankly, I think we're better equipped to manage human hubris than we are unending natural disasters.

First, :cawg:

Second, you guys should really stop with the apocalyptic talk. At best folks will brush it off just like they brush off the raving proselytizer waving a ‘The End is Nigh’ sign on their commute. At worst they’ll fully accept it, realize the situation is hopeless, and that they might as well live their lives comfortably while it lasts, neither of which will result in a light water reactor on every corner.

You should instead make the dire threats in a lower key way the people of the land can understand. We’d probably be in a much better place if the commentariat instead of going on about how we all are going to literally burn if we don’t stop burning fossil fuel in 10 years, instead merely stated if we don’t get climate change under control, illegal immigration will get much worse.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Central America has ~42M people. The Levant has ~45M people. Pretty much the entire diaspora which is creating this :airquote: international crises :airquote: is caused by a migration of a fraction of these populations. A percentage of ninety million people...

Within 20 years, two billion people or more will be displaced by rising temperatures and sea levels.

The apocalypse isn't going to be from the atmosphere literally burning, it will be the roving warbands fighting over the last gallons of mostly clean water and arable land not walled off by the billionaire's slave-armies.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Question, will there be a movie night every couple of months in the billionaire slave armies?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Gladiator Night! The two slave-soldiers with the most demerits fight to the death and the loser's family is exiled to the wastelands! :hist101:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Exiled to Gary, Indiana.

Brutal.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Gladiator Night! The two slave-soldiers with the most demerits fight to the death and the loser's family is exiled to the wastelands! :hist101:

Hell yeah! Sign me the fu

Gonz posted:

Exiled to Gary, Indiana.

Brutal.

😬

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Question, will there be a movie night every couple of months in the billionaire slave armies?

No but a bottle of oxygen will be provided to your family

:siren: Warning :siren: Conditions may apply. The bottle may or may not be empty and will be provided while supply last.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Solice Kirsk posted:

Better make sure you guys don't piss off the US postal guys

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Fukushima happened because a 1000 year earthquake followed by a massive tsunami hit the power plant which was 1) an outdated design that wouldn't be built today and 2) well past maintenance/inspection deadlines.

And yeah even so only a few people died of radiation. The tsunami and earthquake killed many more.

Dalael posted:

I've brought up this point multiple times and linked a bunch of source before. Even without a disaster, the cost benefit is not worthwhile. It really isn't. It's only worthwhile for places where there is literally no other option and even then...

Aside from the climate change thing, fossil fuels kill millions of people every year because of the stuff they pump into the atmosphere.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/494425/death-rate-worldwide-by-energy-source/

Dalael posted:

:shrug:
Which is why im big on renewable sources which are now worth investing into compared to even just one decade ago.

They're not efficient enough for a backbone. Maybe someone in the industry can expand but iirc the turbines are just not long lasting enough and the solar panels aren't efficient enough and still require poo poo tons of mining.

Also both aren't steady which means when they have a low period during the night or during low wind the power generation is supplemented by natural gas - which is itself fairly polluting. For example the wind turbines often have gas powered motors attached.

Renewables with a nuclear backbone sounds good though.

e:

quote:

take up huge real estate (paving over hundreds of square kilometers of natural wilderness)

Someone in one of the climate threads did the math and iirc it'd be something absurd like we'd have to be constantly replacing tens of thousands of turbines.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 10, 2019

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

Fukushima happened because a 1000 year earthquake followed by a massive tsunami hit the power plant which was 1) an outdated design that wouldn't be built today and 2) well past maintenance/inspection deadlines.

And yeah even so only a few people died of radiation. The tsunami and earthquake killed many more.

Aside from the climate change thing, fossil fuels kill millions of people every year because of the stuff they pump into the atmosphere.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/494425/death-rate-worldwide-by-energy-source/

They're not efficient enough for a backbone. Maybe someone in the industry can expand but iirc the turbines are just not long lasting enough and the solar panels aren't efficient enough and still require poo poo tons of mining.

Also both aren't steady which means when they have a low period during the night or during low wind the power generation is supplemented by natural gas - which is itself fairly polluting. For example the wind turbines often have gas powered motors attached.

Renewables with a nuclear backbone sounds good though.

e:

Someone in one of the climate threads did the math and iirc it'd be something absurd like we'd have to be constantly replacing tens of thousands of turbines.

Unfortunately I do not know enough about the maintenance issues to be able to say anything with certainty :shrug:

Regarding efficiency of the system, I think it's important to note that different area will have to rely on different technologies. For example, it makes no sense (to me anyway) for a small country like Japan to create fields of solar panel which takes large areas of land, but they can take advantage of the tides and currents with wave power generation (or whatever the technologies are called). It's pretty much like anything, we can't just plop something in place without doing thorough assessment first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dalael posted:

I think it's important to note that different area will have to rely on different technologies.

Yeah definitely. I don't mean to say there's no place for wind/solar or other renewables and new tech is always on the horizon.