Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
when it’s not you existing reminds of stuff we pretend we didn’t do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

Is there institutional discrimination aimed at Koreans like we have with black people?

I dunno about "institutional" discrimination like from the government or anything, but if you're Japanese-Korean it's definitely harder to find gainful employment.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i would bet this is a "we'll never forgive you for what we've done to you" kind of thing

It's not really even that, because Japanese nationalists pretend they never did anything wrong. Not even in the kind of "the good outweighed the bad" like British apologists do, just flat out nothing bad happened.

It's more of a "how dare you think you're Japanese" kind of resentment.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 23:11 on Jul 8, 2019

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

every sushi chef I've known has been korean. all of them.

the world is a gently caress.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

Is there institutional discrimination aimed at Koreans like we have with black people?
Institutional racism isn't specifically against Koreans. It's more the overt hate speech.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

jfood posted:

The real kicker about all the Korean hatred is that the Japanese Imperial family has its historical origins in Korean gentry.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
aren't the Japanese just a bunch of Koreans who invaded the island and displaced the natives way back when?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

jfood posted:

Koreans in Japan are overrepresented in the restaurant business, entertainment business, writing and publishing business, and the yakuza, which is typical fare for most well-integrated-but-still-discriminated-against minorities.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

aren't the Japanese just a bunch of Koreans who invaded the island and displaced the natives way back when?

Hey racists, don't you know that we're all African??

In reality the racists just think they are the best and make up poo poo to denigrate other people

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm waiting for a weeb japanese nationalist to hop on and properly educate us about the emperor's divine origins

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Goast posted:

I'm waiting for a weeb japanese nationalist to hop on and properly educate us about the emperor's divine origins

:goonsay: the emperor has divine origins

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

does this make k-pop the new blues?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

The origins of the Yayoi aren't really certain. If they did migrate from Korea to Japan, they may have not really been "Korean" people as we know them today.

My personal favorite Japanese ethno-nationalist myth is that Genghis Khan was actually Japanese.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The origins of the Yayoi aren't really certain. If they did migrate from Korea to Japan, they may have not really been "Korean" people as we know them today.

My personal favorite Japanese ethno-nationalist myth is that Genghis Khan was actually Japanese.

Still not as good as this:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

It's more comparable to the lovely way France treats Algerians. It's pretty hard to get the same level of institutional hatred of a race without literal centuries of owning them like cattle. Japan only got to do that a decade or so.

Siljmonster posted:

i love when idiots come to defend racists

SmokaDustbowl posted:

like with tanya the evil people go breaking bad walter white and miss the point

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
That bug manga, which I only found out about today and spent about ten minutes looking up, isn’t an upcoming live action movie, it was a live action movie released in Japan in 2016. Just to save anyone else who had my reaction ten minutes of your day. Semper fi and god bless

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

the thing that got me in Singapore was the blatant racism against Filipinos

it’s almost like racism is totally irrational or something

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

deckgibson posted:

it’s almost like racism is totally irrational or something

why do you think fuckers call themselves "rationalists" and "skeptics" and poo poo

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Soviet Space Dog posted:

you've got it the wrong way around, the lack of a relationship with a certain group makes it trivially easy to absorb the tropes about them

i get that; the golliwog poo poo in japan is racist as gently caress, but it's that absorbed racism as a thoughtless curiosity, something that persists bc it impacts so few people living in japan that there's not enough offense taken to force a change. but usually racists direct their most intense racism at groups they personally perceive as a threat, so a japanese author focusing a whole story on an over-the-top dehumanizing portrayal of black people as thug cockroaches just seems really weird. it's like, idk, an american WN rewriting turner diaries but with roma as the big baddies. it just doesn't seem like it should resonate

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Apparently “Zyklon” Ben Garrison has been invited to the White House:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/anti-semitism-cartoonist-white-house-trump-adl_n_5d21219ae4b0f3125685269d

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

When white people say this is it also implies that they don't give a poo poo about Chinese, Koreans and other working-class immigrants who experience way worse racism than being banned from the local hostess club.

Weep for the American far from his homeland and denied a steady supply of twinkies

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lol the example they gave isn't even anti-semitic

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
"The Rothschilds secretly control everything" is a classic anti-Semitic conspiracy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i get that; the golliwog poo poo in japan is racist as gently caress, but it's that absorbed racism as a thoughtless curiosity, something that persists bc it impacts so few people living in japan that there's not enough offense taken to force a change. but usually racists direct their most intense racism at groups they personally perceive as a threat, so a japanese author focusing a whole story on an over-the-top dehumanizing portrayal of black people as thug cockroaches just seems really weird. it's like, idk, an american WN rewriting turner diaries but with roma as the big baddies. it just doesn't seem like it should resonate

comic book writer Peter David went on an insane rant at a convention against Roma because of some really really obvious lies a tour guy told him in Europe.

though he was asked about Roma so I don’t know if that counts.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Ultimate Doge posted:

Lol the example they gave isn't even anti-semitic

uh, im sure he's done worse but yes, the rothschilds puppeting george soros puppeting US military is definitely anti-semitic

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

CharlestheHammer posted:

comic book writer Peter David went on an insane rant at a convention against Roma because of some really really obvious lies a tour guy told him in Europe.

though he was asked about Roma so I don’t know if that counts.

dunno, maybe comic book authors just tend to be giant shitheads

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

jfood posted:

does this make k-pop the new blues?

No k-pop is like those CIA-organized art festivals and concerts, except there's even more sexual abuse. Also the purpose is mostly to sell sponsorships for various East Asian companies to break into developing markets.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Can we use the Nazi edits of garrison toons to get him disinvited

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Alan Smithee posted:

Can we use the Nazi edits of garrison toons to get him disinvited

How do you think he got the invites in the first place?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
poo poo you’re right. Let’s make edits where trump looks like a deflated cuck

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

uber_stoat posted:

Probably mixed in with some degree of groups who had connections to the Ainu. Just to make it even more ironic.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The Japanese are one of the ten lost tribes

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nihonjin Hebrew Israelite

coathat
May 21, 2007

Jesus did move to japan

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

coathat posted:

Jesus did move to japan

you can even visit his grave.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Alan Smithee posted:

poo poo you’re right. Let’s make edits where trump looks like a deflated cuck

there was the one where he made fun of 4channers before his conversion

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They certainly had close enough ties to share a stoneware ceramic technology and vessel forms. The former can be a decent migration marker, though given the organization of production it could be families of ceramic artists and not much more.

Three Kingdoms Korean and Early Yamato sources mention both Korean and Chinese influence and migration. The Kojiki is pretty mythic, but there is ample archaeological evidence for back and forth movement and cultural exchange from the Epipaleolithic onward between the people of the Japanese archipelago, east China, the Korean Peninsula and what is now southern Russia and southeast Mongolia.

Ethno-nationalism in Japan seems to rise pretty heavily once Japan absorbs Western ideas in Meiji and goes on a genocide fest. Though the ruling elite of the terminal Sengoku and Edo Periods were also pretty racist. Like, especially against Joseon people.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Couldn't it also be that Japan was a backwater and cultural influence often went China > Korea > Japan due to trade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/CaptFirebeard/status/1148427618842226688?s=19

:smug: