Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Continuing easy endless challenge after a few days and the quality has gone off the deep end. I played like 15 levels and booed every single one.

They really shouldn’t let you place pipes without them being against some blocks at least. Cut off pipes looks so lovely, they guarantee a boo and a skip from me when I see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean probably 90% of the courses in easy endless are made by literal children

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Naked pipes need to be censored for the children, and boos are the only only way to prevent their innocent eyes from seeing them.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Continuing easy endless challenge after a few days and the quality has gone off the deep end. I played like 15 levels and booed every single one.

They really shouldn’t let you place pipes without them being against some blocks at least. Cut off pipes looks so lovely, they guarantee a boo and a skip from me when I see them.

easy mode is a swamp but to me, normal mode and expert mode seem to be filtered pretty well. if you can establish some early 1-ups in a normal run, you're golden for at least the first 16 levels.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I dont boo any course in easy mode unless its maliciously bad or like, a single jump and the level is over. I cant bring myself to get mad at sarah1235 or whatever when the entire level was just a couple of easy jumps, two claws, and a snake block

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Mystery Machine posted:

Got a fresh course off the presses!

Spring into the Sky Tower
Q54-GVQ-37G

This is a medium-hard difficulty course that's pretty short, and involves platforming on low gravity springs as they bounce around. I scrapped this course like 4 different times, it took a while to get a course I thought was appropriately fun, but I'm proud of this one. I think this is all the weird and wacky stuff I can think of to do with this gimmick.

Hahaha that was a very, very rough third section. I kept tying to land a springboard on the final spike platform until, after far too many failed attempts, I realized what you had in mind.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I'll really only boo if I go into a pipe or door and end up in a death pit.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
fuuuuck some of the levels are already insane to watch people play

Wendell
May 11, 2003

J-Spot posted:

Maybe you've got a dud somewhere earning some boos?

Every time my extremely cruel super expert level Hitchin' A Ride gets played I can usually count on mine going down. If I ever take that down it's going to be fun to see the bounce back.

It is dumb that making a difficult, fair, course can hurt someone’s all important reputation. A massive amount of deaths compared to player counts should count positively against boos! It shows people were engaged.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Made a new level that I think is a bit too difficult for what I was going for (an SMB-1 style level based around piranhas and cheep cheeps). Tried to slow down the player through coin collecting and there are powerups but I kind of think the last gauntlet is a little too hard? A later iteration may just get rid of the cheep cheeps all together.

Rebumping this one since I posted it super early this morning.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Spellman posted:

I will protect my record at all costs

I really like how vines work in SMB1 compared to the other games. I feel like you can move faster horizontally because you're just skipping from vine to vine rather than shimmying like the others.

I also toned that part down a bit by taking out a few fire piranha plants and fish.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I keep getting absolute bangers in the levels I come across in endless, like below:

The Train Trip with Huebi
5P8-N3L-4HG

Extreme Level Practice
J20-LY5-6GF

SUPER MARIO MAKER 2
1H4-K2X-4QG

Bullet Hecc
404-H12-BQG

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

J-Spot posted:

Maybe you've got a dud somewhere earning some boos?

Every time my extremely cruel super expert level Hitchin' A Ride gets played I can usually count on mine going down. If I ever take that down it's going to be fun to see the bounce back.

No idea but I just lost like 130 points all at once :psyduck:

What a bummer, I wish I had some kind of idea as to whats going on. Seeing hearts come in is nice but seeing that number go down for some reason just feels bad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

No idea but I just lost like 130 points all at once :psyduck:

What a bummer, I wish I had some kind of idea as to whats going on. Seeing hearts come in is nice but seeing that number go down for some reason just feels bad.

Ewww, I didn't realize Mario Maker 2 had a system like this, but I haven't really delved into creating levels. That said, I think Mario Maker 2 should only have an option to like levels, the boo option should be removed.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

OneMoreTime posted:

Made a new level that I think is a bit too difficult for what I was going for (an SMB-1 style level based around piranhas and cheep cheeps). Tried to slow down the player through coin collecting and there are powerups but I kind of think the last gauntlet is a little too hard? A later iteration may just get rid of the cheep cheeps all together.

I liked this one it felt pretty authentic and I didn’t find the cheep cheeps all that bothersome really especially since you put in a fire flower which really helps deal with them.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'm just glad your course upload limit isn't tied to the popularity of your courses anymore. I don't particularly enjoy making easy levels, and now I don't feel compelled to.

Edit: Also, sorry to repost, but my second level has barely gotten any plays, and I think it got lost in the crowd. I think it's pretty tough but fair, though maybe a bit long for a level without a checkpoint. It's a coin collection level, so I had no choice.

Rollersnake posted:

Guess I didn't finish this in time for this week's contest, but that's fine, as it was obnoxiously complicated before I went back and made it a lot less switchy. It was going to be a level you could run forward or backward with different challenges depending upon the way you went, but it ended up with a lot of unavoidable entering a room to find the block switches in the wrong position, and then having to go back to the previous room where enemies had respawned. So that gimmick's gone and it's a (comparatively) humble hammer bro-infested ghost house with a treasure hunt gimmick.

Did you know Toadette has a secret dragon punch move? This screenshot is proof.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 9, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

OneMoreTime posted:

I think you nailed it actually. I got through it in one shot. I dig the SMB1 level design vibe I get from it.

Rollersnake posted:

I'm just glad your course upload limit isn't tied to the popularity of your courses anymore. I don't particularly enjoy making easy levels, and now I don't feel compelled to.

Now your limit just sucks no matter how good you are.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Circle Nine posted:

I really like how vines work in SMB1 compared to the other games. I feel like you can move faster horizontally because you're just skipping from vine to vine rather than shimmying like the others.

I also toned that part down a bit by taking out a few fire piranha plants and fish.

It's Donkey Kong Jr

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

I made another Super Mario Land level.

Super Mario Land 1-3

2WJ-QR2-JWG

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

J-Spot posted:

Now your limit just sucks no matter how good you are.

It seems like very few, but I'd honestly be surprised if I could come up with 32 levels worth uploading in a year. I don't think I even hit 20 in Mario Maker 1 and that was pretty much all I played for months.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

alf_pogs posted:

easy mode is a swamp but to me, normal mode and expert mode seem to be filtered pretty well. if you can establish some early 1-ups in a normal run, you're golden for at least the first 16 levels.

That’s good to hear. I’ll stop once I hit 300.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
super mario maker 2 is the greatest game of all time

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

https://randomactsofmario.com/ says I've played seventy-four goon levels, and the actual number is a bit higher due to pulling ones from the thread as well. That's a lot of stages.

Snoopy (1984)(Radarsoft)
JPH-764-0DG
By: absolutely anything

There's a reason that this game is forgotten.

Horror House of Hammers
XXN-3TJ-91G
By: Rollersnake

Okay, so this course has a goal of collect 100 coins. Fine. I can do that. Then you randomly put enemies in the question blocks when I'm going to have to hit all of them. Uh-oh. Then you put a section when I'm 80% of the way through the very long, checkpointless level where I have to execute it correct the first time I encounter it or I'm locked in a box with no way out. No. These are some huge problems. I wanted to give the course its first clear out of sheer spite, but the second time I died at the cloud section (once to the cloud running out after it and I didn't jump out in time and the other because the way I hold me controller means I sometimes push the controller into my hand when I press a button triggering the bumper), I said, "gently caress this."

Mario Classic
MJ2-GG8-LYG
By: The Lobster

Course not found. I vaguely remember you mentioning something about removing it and uploading it again, but this is what Random Acts of Mario served up to me.

The Fall and Rise of Super Mario
XN8-WR4-CMF
By: Lastdancer

The section where you have to get through the wall is rough and I think I broke your system rather than doing it the intended way since I trapped a fire flower in there, then pounded the p-switch over and over again while I cleared everything out. Then kept on the p-switch while I just threw myself at the turtle.

I said come in! posted:

Ewww, I didn't realize Mario Maker 2 had a system like this, but I haven't really delved into creating levels. That said, I think Mario Maker 2 should only have an option to like levels, the boo option should be removed.

This is clearly the opinion of someone who hasn't waded through the swamp of the typical uploads in Mario Maker.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
It turns out making a level is child's play. The real test is naming one.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Violen posted:

Your stage is now called "High Melodrama in the Mushroom Kingdom". You're welcome.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Have I ever mentioned I really like SMW goombas?

Kickin' it with the Goomboys - L3J 2FB 10G

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Made a multiplayer map based upon what I felt like did and didn't work in Multiplayer Versus. It's...OK as a single player map, feel free to give it a shot:

Multiplayer Luigi's Mansion
8XC-Q6V-VYG

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Violen posted:

I'm working on a level that starts with Mario setting off bombs in the basement of a castle and the subworld is a fast vertical autoscroller where the castle is collapsing on him. I really want to call it Inside Job but I'm worried I'd get reported.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

SeANMcBAY posted:

That’s good to hear. I’ll stop once I hit 300.

Is there a reason to hit 300 outside of masochistic tendencies?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

internet celebrity posted:

I'm working on a level that starts with Mario setting off bombs in the basement of a castle and the subworld is a fast vertical autoscroller where the castle is collapsing on him. I really want to call it Inside Job but I'm worried I'd get reported.

Be the change you want to see.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
Man it's a shame there's no warp world functionality possible because Nintendo's still AWOL on a bookmark site. I wanted to blitz some goon levels that flew under the radar but there's no way to easily gauge how much attention one got unless you wanna do hardcore code and thread trawling.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Got my jam level done, It’s the wonderful experience of working in a business!

Another Day on the Job

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

J-Spot posted:

My entry for the Taking Care of Bee's Nest, er... Taking Care of Business level jam is up:

The End All Bee Wall
Course ID: X0S-NTL-3YG
Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: Yes

This one checks off a few new feature boxes for me, including first 3D World level, first vertical level, and first level with a clear condition. I decided to base a level around the stingbies but once I actually started working with them I realized that they're the most pointless addition to Mario Maker. They're always in the foreground so they don't interact with anything. You can't have them get squished by platforms or have them go through clear pipes or any of that fun Mario Maker stuff. I wasn't able to incorporate all of my ideas thanks to this but I think the level still came out pretty fun. I wanted this one to be kid friendly so target difficulty is normal, or at least as normal as you can get when wall jumps are involved. There are plenty of power up refresh stations to keep you from feeling the lack of checkpoints too severely. Give it a play and let me know what you think!

I liked it overall. Vertical stages are cool and the movement options present in the 3d World set work well together. The overall physics of 3D world are still kind of odd to me, so I kept getting myself in trouble/dying due to fighting with the controls. This isn't a knock against your stage as much as a general observation of how 3D world handles things like wall jumps, or getting into vertical pipes if you aren't exactly lined up. Difficulty otherwise was normal, the bees never felt particularly threatening unless you aggroed them out of position on accident.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Spacebump posted:

I'm really excited to play all your levels. I've been downloading and saving them for a trip at the end of the month. I'll be sure to post feedback when I get around to playing them.

Can't wait to hear what you think! I only post here once I have a new batch of four, but if you're following my Maker profile you should see a few "unannounced" ones.

I'm curious - are there any mechanics y'all feel are under-utilized? I've seen a lot with ON/OFF Blocks, but not so much with tracks and conveyor belts.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

An exploration of how lava works in Mario games (it doesn’t). A medium difficulty themed level.

Flaming Cold Forest
0VX-X7M-9TF

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

OneMoreTime posted:

I liked it overall. Vertical stages are cool and the movement options present in the 3d World set work well together. The overall physics of 3D world are still kind of odd to me, so I kept getting myself in trouble/dying due to fighting with the controls. This isn't a knock against your stage as much as a general observation of how 3D world handles things like wall jumps, or getting into vertical pipes if you aren't exactly lined up. Difficulty otherwise was normal, the bees never felt particularly threatening unless you aggroed them out of position on accident.

Thanks for playing! I have similar issues with 3D World mechanics so I wanted something breezy people could try to get used to it more, especially kids.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Is there any way to see only the end of course comments and not the mid-course ones?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Every level can be improved with more snake blocks.

I finished my new level by the way (no snake blocks though!) It’s a simple platforming course with collapsing lifts. I was inspired a lot by the old SMW course in Valley of Bowser with the platforms with numbers on them. My best time is 33.066 seconds, so if you’re going to speedrun it, at least beat that!

Who Built These Tracks!? - LP1-BKP-9GF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
Kicked up half-a-dozen codes from the randomized list and they were all darlings so I'll just take em as I see em instead.

Plebian Parasite posted:

Have I ever mentioned I really like SMW goombas?

Kickin' it with the Goomboys - L3J 2FB 10G

Solid concept for a course that got long in the tooth with a lot of repetitive filler. This didn't need to be the behemoth it was, especially for a level centered around an objective meaning you can't throw a bone with a checkpoint or two. It's not that the ask in terms of challenge is too steep, it's just an odyssey to work through the entirety of at the mercy of an inattentive gently caress-up.

Where it really wore thin was how many spike tops were just waiting for them to circle an enclave with no permutation, and waiting for your galoomba pals to resuscitate. I don't think the level's anywhere near an overall failure, but those were definitely the low marks outside of a few unnecessary and tangential-to-the-point bottomless pits that weren't terribly well signposted.

Otherwise the use of antigrav was appropriate and lax since this is a really deliberately paced stage. The easy highlights for me were the small platforming asides using galoomba tosses in conjunction with jumps to weave in and out of on/off blocks and switch triggers Mario couldn't handle alone. I would've probably much preferred a level just riffing on that one aside entirely.

Good aesthetic considerations. I liked the variety and attentiveness to naturalizing the geography and patterns within walls.

Overall I do not regret kicking it with the goomboys.