Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

if you don't hit the player with the stab they don't go off the horse. You'll still loose to a crouched joust aiming for the horse head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010

cerebral posted:

Not against spears, but the second kill you can see a thrust that goes through the horse's head and hits the rider. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPjplyvrtLU

I know this is a videogame after all, but the way the rider's momentum is not just stopped but immediately reversed like they got hit in the chest with a cannonball is something else.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Pro tip: flip the billhook with R before stabbing riders off their horses, and you'll pull them towards you instead of knocking them away, making it easier to get the followup hit on the ground.

Normal billhook pulls in with its swings and has normal knockback with the stabs, while flipped billhook reverses that.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Is it just me or did they increase the price of the Armet Plume tenfold while nobody was looking? I don't remember it always being 60,000.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

Is it just me or did they increase the price of the Armet Plume tenfold while nobody was looking? I don't remember it always being 60,000.

It was always 60K.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Here, gaze upon some of my medieval dressup dolls:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Well drat, my dress up game is not up to par, clearly.

I need mo' money, a lot more, the good stuff costs 2500+ gold and I barely make 800-1000 per day with the limited playtime I get :( so my outfits are all slight variations on the same theme because I can't afford the cloth variety I deserve

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gonna have to steal that medic theme for my healdude.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

we posting sword barbies

everyone need a Landsknecht

Rapier Douche

Saracen, for "Templar Build" slaying

Big Boy

MEDIC

2/2/2 Messer Bloodlust for when I'm tired of gimmick builds (which is never)

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Here are a few of my favourite fantasy themed characters

Pirate Captain

Empire Swordsman

Mercenary

Dark Elf

High Elf

Wood Elf

Dwarf

And one I've seen around a couple times, Ezio

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 4, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

how much gold did y'all spend on cosmetics?

I think I spent most of my gold unlocking the weapons I wanted most (still haven't even unlocked them all), then started getting a few armors, a few various odds and ends like gloves, boots, neck stuff etc - like 2/3 choices for each slot besides the default ones

and then, I'm forever out of money

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

a lot, and also not enough

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

TorakFade posted:

and then, I'm forever out of money

Set up an AFK macro and join a gold farming server overnight, provided a teammate doesn't spawn out of bounds and keep the server in wave 2 limbo, you'll accumulate a bunch.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

TorakFade posted:

how much gold did y'all spend on cosmetics?

Yeah, a lot. Happened to have a large amount of free time when this game was released and I am a big fan of swordfightmans games.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Can someone explain how the votekick system works? Because my friend and I had a situation where there was a guy spamming nonstop abuse in chat against us and even when it was down to 3 of us with my friend and I both voting to remove the other guy we couldn't get rid of him. This was Horde mode.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Your 'friend' was in cahoots with him the whole time, sorry you had to find out this way about his betrayal.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The last patch did change something with voter participation thresholds for a kick to go through. So maybe with just 3 people you got hit by some wonkiness with that?

COLT .45
Feb 22, 2008

It works EVERY time.

Motherfucker posted:

Turns out there's no context in which it isn't you loving morons.

Basically this, hyperbolic cum metaphores aside they explicitly know they can get their nazi gold and fend off all criticism with a thin candy shell of obliviousness.

I bought this about 5-6 weeks ago and I have a very distinct memory of my very first match popping in and getting repeatedly firebombed in spawn by a guy with a Varg Vikernes avatar blasting "I loving HATE NOGS" in chat

It only got better from there. I haven't played a ton of competitive video games in recent years so I may be out of touch, but holy poo poo is this game infested with angry cunts.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I've been playing around with a 2-3-2 Axe/Targe, Bloodlust build, and it is a ton of fun. This is not a build for a patient player, this is all about getting in peoples' faces and not giving them an instant to breathe or think about what to do next, it's about gambling and having those gambles pay off way more than they should. It's about getting into a rhythm on your combos and weaving your mouse back and forth so you accel your already super fast combos into a whirring blender of death that most people can't react to in time.

It's also about avoiding situations where you're the focus of more than one spear/stabby guy...those situations usually end in tears for the home team, but other than that, it's great fun.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

anyone else gettin mad disconnects right now?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Caveman

Comrade

Counter Sniper

Engineer

Fightman

Firebug

The "Fist"

Horse Thief

Javelinist

The Leperchaun

Spearguy

Viking

And as a bonus, my horde mode man:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Gyazo deleted all of your pics

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I played a full frontline round with a spear and I discovered that its alt-mode swings are actually not terribly bad vs heads (35 damage on tier 3, 48 on tier 2), and most importantly, they combo

So I used normal mode to stay back and poke, then when enemies eventually outnumbered me I switched over to alt grip and started whirling around, swinging for their heads. That took most people by surprise :v: also good in 1vs1 since it makes the weapon far quicker, the stab remains pretty good and still has the same reach as a normal grip zweihander :black101:

Not the weapon I'd take to a duel server, but definitely my favorite amongst the "can't afford them + tier 3 armor" frontline weapons

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Spear is easy mode on Frontline

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

the problem i find with spear on frontline is that thrust is easily chambered, and every time you chamber their chamber into an overhead or a slash, there's invariably a teammate next to you just eager to put their head in front of your side swing just to get a messier stab in.

so poke, retreat, poke retreat.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Switching to billhook is such a legit counter to horses that it amazes me how rarely you see it. I joined a Crossroads server where Red decided to ignore the scary Blue horses, switched to Billhook, and dehorsed 15 of them. Just me! And I suck!

Imagine what TWO would do. Or three.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I’ve started playing Bardiche as my go-to in Frontline and I’m noticing and appreciating just how many people don’t wear good armour, or leave their heads completely unarmoured :getin:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Mode 7 posted:

I’ve started playing Bardiche as my go-to in Frontline and I’m noticing and appreciating just how many people don’t wear good armour, or leave their heads completely unarmoured :getin:

Sup bardiche bro. I've noticed that a lot of people skimp on leg armor (and occasionally try to hide it with a long skirt) and I never get tired of punishing them for it.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I’m starting to get like 25-35 kills a game in frontline after 3 weeks of pretty much only dueling. Starting to feel pretty good :agesilaus:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Couldn't quite make the halberd click before, but then I discovered the magic of "aim higher, stupid" and started wrecking faces in frontline.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

halberd's a good weapon

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

My main build is called a bee often - and I can see it, it's kinda chubby, black+yellow and uses a little arming sword as a stinger.

Last night I was hanging out in a duel server and I had some people copy my outfit to the best of their ability and build to create a bee swarm :v:

(i'm second from the right, and dang the fella that took this screencap runs on "runescape mode", i oughta record demos with that setting, play them back and record 'em on max...)
For comparison:

This game, among a litany of other additions, really needs some horizontal stripes so I can complete the look.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That guy's screenshot looks worse than low-res Morrowind, impressive accomplishment in 2019

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
As a Swede I only seem to get into games full of russians so I can't read what they say because they have a different alphabet :(

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Collapsing Farts posted:

As a Swede I only seem to get into games full of russians so I can't read what they say because they have a different alphabet :(

Use the server browser.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Fun fact: The single most aggravating thing in this game is having to repeatedly wait 10 seconds to respawn in frontline

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nordick posted:

Fun fact: The single most aggravating thing in this game is having to repeatedly wait 10 seconds to respawn in frontline

Yes, especially when you just slogged all the way to where the combat is only to get speared by a horseman or catapulted before you can even swing your weapon

Also, sometimes the timer only lasts 3-4 seconds (or you can even respawn immediately) and sometimes the full 10 seconds. Anyone know why's that?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Presumably because there are fixed spawn times per team, so you can get lucky or unlucky. Isn't that how it's always worked in these multiplayer first-person games?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah respawns are in waves, so a big group of people can spawn back in all at once. Makes fighting over points less a of slog since it's not just single dudes trickling in infinitely, but big groups of people that make concerted pushes possible/counterable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Thanks guys, that makes sense. This is my first online multiplayer game since Counterstrike 1.5 in 2002 or something silly like that, so I'm not really up to speed with all those modern mechanics :v:

I've been playing a little yesterday but honestly, the general playerbase is progressing much faster than I am (and/or the noobs have tired of the game and only those with skill are still playing) - it seems in every frontline game 90% of people are now bodyfeinting, morphing, feinting and everything. I can still hold my own but dear Lord it feels frustrating.

Maybe I should start going to TDM servers exclusively, it's less of a huge mess usually: less players and quick respawns (which means less 1vs5 moments), no horses and catapults... It feels like a good compromise between duel and frontline servers. Skirmish is kinda boring because it's filled with the worst grognards, and if you're the first to die (I often am) you have a long wait ahead while those guys hide from each other - or you just get in the wrong team and get repeatedly roflstomped into the ground