Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
If I was stuck in a city full of monsters trying to kill me and a little monster girl could give me superpowers if I smoked her I probably would

what im saying is that I am a bad guy and I wish more games would let me be a bad guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Zzulu posted:

I had the same problem with Dishonored. The game asked me to do as little as possible in order to be a good guy and that's boring
What a weird example to give, a non-lethal playthrough of Dishonored has you commit the most hosed up and deranged things I've seen a player character do, it's literally mocking the idea of a linear morality system

poverty goat posted:

Kids actually loving suck. Lol if you dont think it's great to kill them. Kill kids all the drat time imo!
That's in real life tho, in videogames the kids need to stay alive if only because they're better written

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

The best morality system is in Thronebreaker, because all the options are bad but it has a way of always making you feel like you picked the worst one.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

is pepsi ok posted:

The best morality system is in Thronebreaker, because all the options are bad but it has a way of always making you feel like you picked the worst one.

frostpunk/this war of mine give you a choice between being a terrible person and losing the game, which is at least how the real world operates

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Haven't developers ran analytics and found that people take the "good" path 80% of the time, and that rises to more like 95% if you only look at first playthroughs?

My unpopular videogame opinion: the original Mass Effect 3 ending was fine and people who flipped their poo poo about it are unbalanced weirdos. The series is all about choosing red or blue so adding green to the mix is actually 50% more than I expected. That sounds like a joke but I'm being totally serious there.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

is pepsi ok posted:

In Spec Ops: The Line it doesn't matter if you choose the good options, you'll still end being an rear end in a top hat. But you can choose between being an rear end in a top hat who's lying to himself about being a good guy or being honest about it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ME3's ending was bad not because it was a ternary choice but because it simply wasn't narratively to-scale. a four-minute-long ending with three meaningless choices is the kind of capstone you put on your lovely four-hour-long indie game, not a 150-hour-long trilogy. remember the rule of satisfaction: 1hr of gameplay should roughly translate to 1min of ending and epilogue... no, bioware, your fifty-minute credit roll doesn't count

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

food court bailiff posted:

this game needs more of a grayscale morality to deal with the complicated ethics of executing children to liquefy and inject their innards

Extremely same

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

poverty goat posted:

frostpunk/this war of mine give you a choice between being a terrible person and losing the game, which is at least how the real world operates

Frostpunk is cool because it gives you two paths for how you'll structure this new society, theocratic monarchy or fascist dictatorship, and it treats them as being equally bad but in different ways. To not get the "bad" ending you have to choose to not go down either of those paths; the game doesn't explicitly tell you that this is an option, it just suddenly shows you two opposing decision trees and lets you make the decisions from there. This is the correct way to set up that kind of choice, imo, because unlike Spec Ops you really can just tough things out without being a complete rear end in a top hat, and the game won't force you to become an rear end in a top hat if you don't want to be one.

(well, you can still pick one of the paths, but you basically can't go beyond just building little churches/shrines to honor the dead or setting up a neighborhood watch that helps kids find their lost pets and stuff)

And unsurprisingly, a certain subset of gamers were in disbelief that when game's epilogue called them out as a bad person for setting up a fascist police state or declaring themselves god-king after murdering all of the nonbelievers in the city.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 7, 2019

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Being a child killer and not being a child killer is supposed to be black and white.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The White Dragon posted:

ME3's ending was bad not because it was a ternary choice but because it simply wasn't narratively to-scale. a four-minute-long ending with three meaningless choices is the kind of capstone you put on your lovely four-hour-long indie game, not a 150-hour-long trilogy. remember the rule of satisfaction: 1hr of gameplay should roughly translate to 1min of ending and epilogue... no, bioware, your fifty-minute credit roll doesn't count

Nah. The ending was returning to earth to finish things, rejoining your buddy you left behind at the start of the game, fighting alongside or chatting up all the buddies you made, and then making a suicide rush at a teleporter to the citadel in a mirror the first game's end game.

Then it falls on its face spending way too loving long explaining how pick a color morality works hundreds of hours into a series about pick a color morality, so you forget all of that and just shoot the drat kid causing him to throw a tantrum and the reapers kill everyone.

E: See? Child murder sometimes IS the morally correct act.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Any attempt at analyzing ME3's ending in the context of the trilogy doesn't make sense as it was added in by an outside writer hired to push the game out before the end of EA's fiscal year. Reading the apologetic thinkpieces about how it all fits into the series' overarching theme of cycles was loving hilarious. No it doesn't

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah. The ending was returning to earth to finish things, rejoining your buddy you left behind at the start of the game, fighting alongside or chatting up all the buddies you made, and then making a suicide rush at a teleporter to the citadel in a mirror the first game's end game.

yeah that's what it wanted to be but instead it was just sitting on a turret shooting at charging enemies, and being forced to mind meld with a character i didn't really like that much. definitely a tone deaf miss, that's not an ending that's just a lovely final stage

Ruffian Price posted:

Reading the apologetic thinkpieces about how it all fits into the series' overarching theme of cycles was loving hilarious. No it doesn't

look man they already took the money they can't just write smear pieces after it's in their bank account

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 8, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I still dont get why there is an ending choice at all. It should have been Shepard gets into the final room and thats it; the game then gives you an ending based on the choices you made over 3 games and if you dont like it, tough, be a different person next time.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Tyranny's moral dilemmas are cool because there's nothing quantified about the morality of your choices, just different outcomes without an objective in-game advantage for picking one over the other. It's good that the bulk of the outcomes are just other people responding to your actions and changing their perception of you based on what you do.

Getting upset about a game's moral dilemmas because it wasn't spelled out to you that one of them is considered the "bad guy" path even though you personally see that path as a series of dick moves is really weird. Why would you care about the roleplaying aspects of a game if you aren't roleplaying to begin with?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

I still dont get why there is an ending choice at all. It should have been Shepard gets into the final room and thats it; the game then gives you an ending based on the choices you made over 3 games and if you dont like it, tough, be a different person next time.

loving this, but then it still runs into the problem of "none of these choices are meaningfully different in a series that was predicated on how your choices affect games that haven't come out yet." and to be fair to the consumer, in ME2, your imported choices were halfway meaningful and changed things at least a little.

in retrospect, the ending being lovely and meaningless should've been way more obvious. the way they handled long-con decisions like the rachni queen, the human reaper, and virmire, rendering them down to Increase Number!!! without meaningfully changing the different sets and gameplay segments, were all huge red flags. like if you saved the rachni queen in the first game that whole section shouldn't have even had combat, it should've been a walk & talk and looked substantially different.

but that would require work. effort. :effort:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tyranny also lets you be extremely rules-lawyery such as stalling at the opening to give you an in game year to resolve a problem instead of like a month.

Shame actually fighting anything in Tyranny is so terrible.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hey choices in that game do matter, I got to kill the genocidal racist off so she wasnt around to gently caress up Mass Effect 3

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'm playing The Nonary Games collection on PS4. 999 specifically. The games are great but gently caress the hexadecimal puzzles, which largely boil down to "Do you understand hexadecimal yet?"

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

I'm playing The Nonary Games collection on PS4. 999 specifically. The games are great but gently caress the hexadecimal puzzles, which largely boil down to "Do you understand hexadecimal yet?"
"You never heard of it?"

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I liked the part in Mass Effect 3 where I, Shepard, got to decide that everyone in the galaxy would undergo a body-transformation and become half synthetic abominations

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Me too it was hot af

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the more i play ffxii the more i like it, the battle system is ludicrously chill, the music is great, the non-Vaan characters are fun and he all but disappears once you get your full party, and honestly the whole "big things are happening just offscreen but you don't see them because you're following a band of rebels, thieves and literal children through a gauntlet they've found themselves in by accident" plot is pretty on-point with the overall chill-ness of the rest of the presentation

sebmojo posted:

Me too it was hot af

powerful post/av synergy

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

the more i play ffxii the more i like it, the battle system is ludicrously chill, the music is great, the non-Vaan characters are fun and he all but disappears once you get your full party, and honestly the whole "big things are happening just offscreen but you don't see them because you're following a band of rebels, thieves and literal children through a gauntlet they've found themselves in by accident" plot is pretty on-point with the overall chill-ness of the rest of the presentation

powerful post/av synergy

It really is very chill, and you can breeze through 99% of the game with the premade gambits if you want to, or you can nerd out to your heart's content with them.

I also enjoyed the plot, it was cool to not be the front-and-center Hero And His Party.

I think it's the only Final Fantasy game I ever 100%'ed, since the hunts were all pretty chill and the ultimate weapons/spells weren't too onerous to find.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The White Dragon posted:

i'm mad that both endings sucked poo poo. i want the scrapped ending idea where the final boss is immortal because he keeps using the respawn machines, and eventually you die because the chamber you're fighting in is damaged and floods with water, but as you're losing consciousness you see him drown, and respawn, and drown, and respawn, and you get to die but he's trapped in this loop for all eternity

remove morality systems from games imo, tell the story you want to tell. if you want to make a game where the player is evil then do that

That ending concept actually owns, yeah. Sort of ties into what they eventually did with Bioshock 2 and how the Songbird dies in Infinite a little.

It's a silly hill to die on but I kind of agree that there should have been a "lesser evil" ending in BS1. It doesn't have to be a good ending but having some distinction between "were those sacrifices really worth it? well it turns out probably not and you should have known that you amoral idiot" and "holy poo poo you're a genocidal psychopath lol" would have been better writing.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

The White Dragon posted:

loving this, but then it still runs into the problem of "none of these choices are meaningfully different in a series that was predicated on how your choices affect games that haven't come out yet." and to be fair to the consumer, in ME2, your imported choices were halfway meaningful and changed things at least a little.

in retrospect, the ending being lovely and meaningless should've been way more obvious. the way they handled long-con decisions like the rachni queen, the human reaper, and virmire, rendering them down to Increase Number!!! without meaningfully changing the different sets and gameplay segments, were all huge red flags. like if you saved the rachni queen in the first game that whole section shouldn't have even had combat, it should've been a walk & talk and looked substantially different.

but that would require work. effort. :effort:

An extension of the "you better make good team leader choices" from the ME2 ending would have owned, but even if you ended up dropping like half your team due to lovely choices it had no impact on 3. Didn't save the right character on Virmire in ME1? You're locked into one of the endings from tree B, replay saving the other one to get into the tree A endings. Killed off Samara/saved Morinth? Hahahaha no matter what you're getting the lovely ending in 3.

So much lost potential. gently caress.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

i'm mad that both endings sucked poo poo. i want the scrapped ending idea where the final boss is immortal because he keeps using the respawn machines, and eventually you die because the chamber you're fighting in is damaged and floods with water, but as you're losing consciousness you see him drown, and respawn, and drown, and respawn, and you get to die but he's trapped in this loop for all eternity

remove morality systems from games imo, tell the story you want to tell. if you want to make a game where the player is evil then do that

Is that an actual scrapped ending, because the only reference I could find to this is some random dude's "here's how I would have ended Bioshock" blog: https://www.pentadact.com/2009-04-15-ending-bioshock/

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Requiem: Avenging Angel is really, really good

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

is siralim 3 good, I liked the first one well enough to play it for at least a few hours and I dig cool grindy weird rpgs, kinda want one on the switch

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Is that an actual scrapped ending, because the only reference I could find to this is some random dude's "here's how I would have ended Bioshock" blog: https://www.pentadact.com/2009-04-15-ending-bioshock/

Anything would have been better than Bioshock's actual ending imo.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pooch516 posted:

Anything would have been better than Bioshock's actual ending imo.

That's the dude who made gunpoint and heat signature, he's great

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Detroit: Become Human is.... good

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

bradzilla posted:

poo poo I forgot I bought that game.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I don't really understand why people get mad at getting a "bad" ending in most games. Like in Bloodstained, sure, the bad ending is at like 60-70% of the game, and it literally ends with "GAME OVER" so it's not really an ending at all. But in other games where if you don't do some specific series of steps and a character happens to die in the ending, well, that's just a way the game can end. If you happen to do the steps, the character lives, and that's another way for the game to end. It seems weird to me to attach a value judgement to either one as being "better".

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I play games for the gameplay.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still don't get why Mass Effect couldn't just do Fallout style ending slides.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still don't get why Mass Effect couldn't just do Fallout style ending slides.

it did but it took them like three or four months to add them after launch

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

bradzilla posted:

Agreed. It's actually quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I play games for the gameplay.

I'm sorry the industry is not interested in your business please take it elsewhere. Like TV they would never manipulate you with cheap tricks into watching something lovely. Oh they would? gently caress! I for one can't wait for Dota Underlords (Valve's Auto Chess) to add skins, and loot boxes, and daily quests, and big rear end progress bars, multiple layers of experience. Can't have fun without my digital hats.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

poo poo I forgot I bought that game.

I've seen people play Detroit : Become Human and I'm not sure it qualifies as a game. I'm not saying it's bad I'm just saying at what point is something not a game. Interactive digital story! Yeah that label is totally going to catch on. You can put Cultist Simulator and maybe Sunless Skies/Sea in the same category. I have spoken so it shall be!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 9, 2019