Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM.... I'm actually NOT bothered by this avatar

Blindeye posted:

Well if they were outside of the leather they'd pop as soon as the hit the asphalt, so sadly no Michelin man suit.

They make an airbag bike helmet that works that way. You put it on as a neck collar, and if the accelerometers inside detect that you're falling it inflates the helmet around your head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNyjJaX9tBM

Note: you do not have to fall off a bicycle to trigger it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Kb53DCeEc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

that seems like a good thing for old people who fall easily, but i guess the olds usually break other stuff besides their knocking on their head

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

coke posted:

that seems like a good thing for old people who fall easily, but i guess the olds usually break other stuff besides their knocking on their head

I'm now imagining some sort of airbag belt to protect geriatric hips from falls.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Hip frame parachute

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

coke posted:

Market for a similar function in an underpants form? Broken hips are a death sentence for olds.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Friend of mine ended up basically shoulder tackling a deer at about 30 and even with all his gear he was a mess afterwards. To his credit though, he ate that deer.

I am jealous he got to eat the deer, when I was a teen I nailed a deer on a pretty busy road and while I was sitting on the side of the road basically having a panic attack since my car was now absolutely covered in blood, someone pulled up, threw the deer in their truck and drove off without stopping to see if I was ok. I always felt I had first claim to that deer...

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

B-Rock452 posted:

I am jealous he got to eat the deer, when I was a teen I nailed a deer on a pretty busy road and while I was sitting on the side of the road basically having a panic attack since my car was now absolutely covered in blood, someone pulled up, threw the deer in their truck and drove off without stopping to see if I was ok. I always felt I had first claim to that deer...
He refused to be transported until his brother got a tag for the deer. Which was probably shock talking because he broke basically every bone on the right side above his waist.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

B-Rock452 posted:

I'm going to guess Wisconsin

Second guess Missouri

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

B-Rock452 posted:

It's against the law in most states to keep a deer you hit, it's to keep people from 'hunting' by just barreling through the woods in their trucks

Second guy to the scene is the one that has first claim

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

iospace posted:

Yeah, the guy who got hit by the tire is definitely going to have some bumps and bruises in the morning, but it's just that.

Michigan lifted its helmet and AND SURPRISE FATALITIES WENT UP. When I'm on my bicycle, I'm always rocking a bright green vest with reflective stripes, lights, and a helmet.

Missouri was wanting to lift the helmet law, and holy lol is that going to be funny.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Friend of mine ended up basically shoulder tackling a deer at about 30 and even with all his gear he was a mess afterwards. To his credit though, he ate that deer.

Yeah, my cousin processed the bastard and made some cool knives out of the antlers, but had no idea I hit it. When I talked to him months later we got a good laugh out of that. I was in no condition to get the thing taken care of unfortunately, but the part where I didn't die was cool

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://i.imgur.com/fIfGWaW.mp4

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Bad Munki posted:

I'm going to guess Wisconsin

Second guess Missouri

suburbs of philly actually... which shouldn't really surprise anyone from the area.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM.... I'm actually NOT bothered by this avatar

he gets out of the car holding his phone in his right hand

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Sagebrush posted:

They make an airbag bike helmet that works that way. You put it on as a neck collar, and if the accelerometers inside detect that you're falling it inflates the helmet around your head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNyjJaX9tBM

Okay, but where's my skateboard with smartwheels and my magnapoon?

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Propaganda Hour posted:

Turning your f250 into a meat catapult to own the libs

With the previous post, I read this as lbs.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Your mom says hi

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

PathAsc posted:

Gear chat:

I don't care how hot it is, I don't get on the bike without being fully kitted out. Hitting a deer and being laid up for 15+ weeks the one time I didn't wear all my stuff was a healthy reminder.

A co-worker of mine hit a brown bear at ~100km/h. Came around a curve and just BOOM a bear. She was out for about 4 months, plus another year or so of rehab before she could walk without a support.

The bear apparently wandered off into the woods. I expect it had a hell of a story to tell at the bar.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXEoe8_CcbM

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RandomFerret posted:

It's against the law in most states to keep a deer you hit, it's to keep people from 'hunting' by just barreling through the woods in their trucks

There should be an exception for motorcyclists.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

bit gruesome to just tie the dude on your hood though

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
in drivers ed class the instructor asked, "what is the number one rule after an accident or collision?"

he was not amused when my buddy said "you get to keep the meat!!"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Queensland Government wraps up crisis talks with mining industry after sixth death

quote:

Shortly before the State Government headed into crisis talks this afternoon, it was revealed a mining safety committee has been idle for six months because it could not reach a gender quota — during which time four miners have died.

The Mine Health and Safety Advisory Committee was dissolved in late 2018, before a spate of deaths that has thrown the industry into the spotlight.

Diversity is super important in industry, having a wide range of opinions and lived experience greatly contributes to better outcomes.

But if people are loving dying and your safety committee is sitting on their hands because they can't meet a gender quota, you're doing it wrong*. "do_something_with_just_dudes" will always be better than "do_nothing".

*You're Doing It Wrong could basically be the Queensland state motto.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Life imitates art (or the other way around)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8OPNhT1eRg

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ah, Queensland.

I don't think it was an issue of "we lack of qualified people for the panel" as much as it was "what excuses can we come up with for sitting on our thumbs and doing nothing because we are in the pocket of the industry?"

Edit: For a bit context, the politicians are practically owned by the mines. The top google news story about the Australian mining industry is this. And every other story underneath is about mining jobs, new mines opening up, feel-good pieces about mines, exports, and, eventually, the environmental risks posed by tailings dam failures.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 9, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^^ Don't forget the whole thing where they barrelled through approval on that loving Adani mine which is going to send massive coal carriers through some of the most sensitive areas of what is left of the Great Barrier Reef.

Memento posted:

Queensland Government wraps up crisis talks with mining industry after sixth death

Diversity is super important in industry, having a wide range of opinions and lived experience greatly contributes to better outcomes.

But if people are loving dying and your safety committee is sitting on their hands because they can't meet a gender quota, you're doing it wrong*. "do_something_with_just_dudes" will always be better than "do_nothing".

*You're Doing It Wrong could basically be the Queensland state motto.

I'm sure it was 100% deliberate on the part of the mining companies who thought they had found "one weird trick which stops safety committees from stopping your dangerous work practices".

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

RandomPauI posted:

Ah, Queensland.

I don't think it was an issue of "we lack of qualified people for the panel" as much as it was "what excuses can we come up with for sitting on our thumbs and doing nothing because we are in the pocket of the industry?"

Edit: For a bit context, the politicians are practically owned by the mines. The top google news story about the Australian mining industry is this. And every other story underneath is about mining jobs, new mines opening up, feel-good pieces about mines, exports, and, eventually, the environmental risks posed by tailings dam failures.

this is how regressives play it all the world around. the people rage for the tiniest bit of respect, the gov't yields grudgingly, and the problems created by their grudge get blamed on the half assed social programs they deliberately hamstrung.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

My mom is still traumatized from an accident that occurred in front of her on I-4. The driver ahead of her was ejected and she ran over his head. It's 10 years later and she still tenses up on that curve.

chitoryu12 posted:

My mom was driving home last year when a motorcyclist sped past her at over 100 MPH. She caught up to him a while later and described where each body part was on the road.

I hope that's all the bodies she's seen on the road? :ohdear:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

chitoryu12 posted:

My mom is still traumatized from an accident that occurred in front of her on I-4. The driver ahead of her was ejected and she ran over his head. It's 10 years later and she still tenses up on that curve.

I mean, yeah. It's possible she ended a man's life in that moment. That's going to be with her the rest of her life - especially if she has to regularly travel past where it happened. That is forever a mark of a turning point in her life - there was your mom before she ran over a man's head and your mother after. Don't underestimate the seriousness of that and be kind on her - that's stressful having to always be reminded of the event. Many are lucky enough to be able to avoid the area of their traumatic encounter in order to heal.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

All Russian dashcam videos involving a catastrophic vehicle failure involve a Lada.
No, sometimes it's a haul truck with failed brakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E2xRYwS2aE

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

"The fifth floor in my office building has been supported with jacks for more than 20 years"

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

iospace posted:

Yeah, the guy who got hit by the tire is definitely going to have some bumps and bruises in the morning, but it's just that.

Michigan lifted its helmet and AND SURPRISE FATALITIES WENT UP. When I'm on my bicycle, I'm always rocking a bright green vest with reflective stripes, lights, and a helmet.

There's a reason why the ER doctors call motorcyclists "organ donors."

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Out of all the gear, the one that gets me is people that don't wear a full face helmet

When you fly off your bike you're way more likely to grind your jaw down than to land on the top of your head like a fuckin cartoon character

That metalocalypse episode where murder face falls off the murder cycle should be required viewing at msf courses

edit:

obviously :nms: https://youtu.be/ZuQfzmyS4-A

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 9, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

moist turtleneck posted:

Out of all the gear, the one that gets me is people that don't wear a full face helmet

When you fly off your bike you're way more likely to grind your jaw down than to land on the top of your head like a fuckin cartoon character

That metalocalypse episode where murder face falls off the murder cycle should be required viewing at msf courses

edit:

obviously :nms: https://youtu.be/ZuQfzmyS4-A

Because there was supposedly a study at one point (no one can find this study) that putting a full face helmet on increases the chances of your neck snapping if you land on your head.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

Because there was supposedly a study at one point (no one can find this study) that putting a full face helmet on increases the chances of your neck snapping if you land on your head.

I saw a motorcyclist very shortly after hitting a deer. He had a beanie helmet on, which did nothing when he slammed into the pavement face first. He survived, but only for another week.

He might have lived if he had been wearing a full helmet.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

RandomFerret posted:

In Canada, the laws vary from province to province, but most allow you to keep the roadkill for personal use but you may have to get the OK from a wildlife officer first.

When my buddy hit a deer in Ontario, the police that showed up asked him if he wanted to keep the roadkill. When he declined, the police called up a friend who came right out and field dressed the carcass right there. The deer was cleaned up and gone before the tow truck showed up. Apparently you need to be very quick prepping the carcass or the meat turns black from the blunt force trauma.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I passed a motorcyclist doing 80mph wearing full leathers and a full face helmet.

But bare hands and espadrilles without socks on his feet.

I don't understand how his mind worked, but all I could think was how an accident would leave him looking like the gingerbread man

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Market for a similar function in an underpants form? Broken hips are a death sentence for olds.

There are airbag underpants for this.
https://www.wolkairbag.com/en/

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
As someone who has experienced the effectiveness of full-face helmets first-hand, I will never understand people who don't wear them.

Having a face and a mouthful of teeth is pretty nice.

Just last week I saw a guy open up his side bag and toss his helmet in just as he was crossing over the MO-KS line. (MO is a helmet state)

xergm fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 9, 2019

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Does a Harley-Davidson even operate if the rider has a full face helmet? I don't think I've ever seen someone wearing one while on a Harley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Harley davidsons barely operate at all