Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tipping is an American affectation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lurdiak posted:

Jesus remind me never to hang out with any of you skinflints.

Buncha 5% tippers itt.

This is going better than the time someone posted on this subforum about their paid GM and how everyone in the group was happy enough with the paid GM to keep paying them and several people melted down at the audacity of this.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I've made $400 to run a session, looks like I gotta step up the game a little.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Nuns with Guns posted:

This is going better than the time someone posted on this subforum about their paid GM and how everyone in the group was happy enough with the paid GM to keep paying them and several people melted down at the audacity of this.

I remember that. It was a big kerfuffle. People acted like it was an affront against God.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if the Business Week is running an article about the monetization of social rot, the proper response isn't to talk about pegging the appropriate market value, it's to reject the seeping neoliberalism that seeks to commodify every last bit of time and effort and leisure that we have left

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

people wouldnt need to turn everything into a Gig or a Hustle if one job paid enough to live on these days

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

gradenko_2000 posted:

if the Business Week is running an article about the monetization of social rot, the proper response isn't to talk about pegging the appropriate market value, it's to reject the seeping neoliberalism that seeks to commodify every last bit of time and effort and leisure that we have left

That battle was lost a long time ago. As long as the cancer capitalism exists, we need to accept it eventually sleeping will be comodotized.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Covok posted:

That battle was lost a long time ago. As long as the cancer capitalism exists, we need to accept it eventually sleeping will be comodotized.

preach!

Covok
May 27, 2013

If we're going to be honest, paid GM exists because our corporate overlords ensure we are not paid enough to live so we have to scrounge a dollar anyway we can. Unless there is a revolution of workers, that ain't changing.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
For the last couple years I’ve run a weekly 5E game which became, somewhat unexpectedly, a paid gig.

For context, these are 3-hour sessions for a group of homeschooled tweens and teens, one of whom is on the autism spectrum with ADHD. Given how distractible, rambunctious, and unpredictable these kids can be, we can’t run anywhere near as much combat as D&D anticipates, and I end up running it in a more improvisational style for most sessions out of sheer necessity. As a result, I prep significantly less than I would for a group of adults who are playing the way 5E’s system assumes you will play.

Knowing what I know now, if someone approached me and offered $50 per person per session to run a “real” game of D&D 5E for adults that consisted of anything more than running something straight out of a module, I would make the sign of the cross and run. xiw is right, this is a performance gig combined with between-session creative work, and for someone who’s going to your office and running an RPG for strangers, $500 per session is absolutely undercharging.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lurdiak posted:

Jesus remind me never to hang out with any of you skinflints.

Buncha 5% tippers itt.

Is it bad that the most I've ever individually tipped is like 5 bucks and usually I only tip 2 or 3 bucks?

I do have the sorta excuse that except for a couple month period last summer I've never had gainful employment and the only reason I have any money at all is because I get Social Security benefits, so my finances are normally extremely limited

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Covok posted:

5e D&D you say?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The D&D group in my city that sets up a bunch of game nights (newbie night, one-shot nights, ongoing campaign nights, etc.) has started to charge entry fees for everything because of pitiful attendance rates versus number of online RSVPs. Like 24 slots for an event with a wait list a few dozen long but people either ghost or cancel at the last minute in great enough numbers that we're lucky to even have half the expected numbers... even with people who didn't RSVP showing up to try to get in. I get that poo poo happens when you're an adult but when the $5 entry fee was tried for a newbie night it had 100% attendance - 24/24 people.

My guess is that a lot of the people who have a passing "oh let's try that game I saw in a TV show/Youtube video/internet stream" thought and slam the RSVP button are going to rather do anything else when the time comes, and there's no opportunity cost to just say gently caress it and go drinking with friends or whatever. But having to put a few dollars on the line filters for the more serious people. Or maybe it's a extension of the phenomenon that causes people to return their shopping cart to the proper place just because a quarter is on the line.

I've seen the fees of tens of dollars per session for Roll20 games that Spiteski mentioned and I think that's either a little much to filter out flakes or greatly undervaluing your labour if you're doing it as a service. But as a service rather than as part of a hobby, $500 doesn't sound so crazy given how it takes several hours of preparation per single hour of gameplay to provide a good game.

The question I have is, how good does the DM need to be for that kind of fee to not feel like you got cheated afterward?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

The question I have is, how good does the DM need to be for that kind of fee to not feel like you got cheated afterward?

A small part of me wants to pay for one of those roll20 sessions just to find out what that is getting you. Like how much work and character is being put into getting people into these games. They all seem like they do one shots or premades or are targeting new players. So I wonder what a paid campaign actually functions like.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
as someone who used to get paid an exorbitant amount to stand at a table and deal blackjack, not only will I accept payment for DMing I will also encourage tipping

is what I would say if I lived in a part of the country where there is any demand for tabletop poo poo

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Lunatic Sledge posted:

as someone who used to get paid an exorbitant amount to stand at a table and deal blackjack, not only will I accept payment for DMing I will also encourage tipping

is what I would say if I lived in a part of the country where there is any demand for tabletop poo poo

People getting paid for GMing is something I still chuckle at but am fine with but needing to tip someone for their work is some 3rd world country nonsense.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If you've ever been to a con game you've paid someone to GM

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think I would ever pay someone to GM but I do not understand why people would care if someone else does

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i'll gm a game for google but they probably aren't going to like my themes of toppling technology powered empires that overwork their people with communism

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

do you think a druid has ever died from eating chocolate and then turning into a wolf?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Flavivirus posted:

I’m still working through it but Empress of Forever is really good - queer and female-led sci-fi that’s fun and adventurous and imaginative, like Guardians of the Galaxy with significantly more lesbians.
How plot centric is the lesbianism? She very much wants to read about space lesbians, but in that she wants to read about them being cool people doing cool things in cool places while their gender and sexual preferences take up approximately the same page space and plot importance as it does for Miles Vorkosigan, if not less.

She's definitely picking it up but it'd be nice to know going in.

LatwPIAT posted:

and I guess some of Charles Stross' female-led books are generally decent and look it took me two series to run out of female authors. >_>
I personally gave up on Charles Stross after the laundry files book where after various sequences of shrill malevolent incompetent harpies he finally had a competent female authority figure somewhere in the chain of command above the main charact oh wait no she's evil too. Did he get better?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The Traitor Baru Cormorant
I've been reading this on and off and I have to say who she bangs is an extremely big deal!

Plutonis posted:

Have you tried looking at Xianxia novels? There's a real big rear end amount of good ones with decently written female MCs.

e: Comedy Option: The Spider Isekai
Any specific Xianxia suggestions? And she would not enjoy Kumo I mean I don't know what you're talking about.

Anyone I haven't replied to specifically thanks for the recommendations! Craft, ancillary, discworld, and barrayar are in the read or reading piles, the rest are going on the to read pile.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Splicer posted:

How plot centric is the lesbianism? She very much wants to read about space lesbians, but in that she wants to read about them being cool people doing cool things in cool places while their gender and sexual preferences take up approximately the same page space and plot importance as it does for Miles Vorkosigan, if not less.

The main character is a Chinese-American female gay Tony Stark-alike who gets pulled into weird future hijinks, there's a couple of female love interests so far, but the plot is mainly her working out what this weird future is like, if she can trust the people she's ended up working with, and if she can get one over on the titular quasi-divine Empress of Forever and get back to Earth.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Flavivirus posted:

The main character is a Chinese-American female gay Tony Stark-alike who gets pulled into weird future hijinks, there's a couple of female love interests so far, but the plot is mainly her working out what this weird future is like, if she can trust the people she's ended up working with, and if she can get one over on the titular quasi-divine Empress of Forever and get back to Earth.
Neat, sounds perfect!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Splicer posted:

I personally gave up on Charles Stross after the laundry files book where after various sequences of shrill malevolent incompetent harpies he finally had a competent female authority figure somewhere in the chain of command above the main charact oh wait no she's evil too. Did he get better?

I was actually thinking more of Singularity Sky, Neptune Brood and especially Rule 34 and Halting State, which all have decent female protagonists, but the Laundry Files does get better. He introduces a few more female characters to the main cast and lets them have stories or books of their own, and stops writing middle manage into his books as literally Satan. Like Stross definitely has issues when it comes to how he writes female characters on the whole, but sometimes I just really appreciate, like, burned-out lesbian Edinburgh police officer investigating 419 scammers while trying to rekindle her relationship with her polyamorous bisexual ex? I can't guarantee Mrs Splicer will appreciate these books but it was difficult to come up with more than two suggestions. :shobon:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

How about N.K.Jemisen?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Splicer posted:

Any specific Xianxia suggestions? And she would not enjoy Kumo I mean I don't know what you're talking about.

Peerless Alchemist should be worth checking out, though it is also an isekai since the titular character dies in a modern world and wakes up as a different person in a different world/time. All about martial arts, politics, and a somewhat complicated love interest that combines the two.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Covok posted:

https://thumped.com/bbs/threads/the-penny-hang-a-viable-accommodation-option-nowadays.63903/

Covok
May 27, 2013

Goddamn! That's vile.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
There were varying levels too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_penny_coffin

Note, this was started by the Salvation Army,

Covok
May 27, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

There were varying levels too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_penny_coffin

Note, this was started by the Salvation Army,

You know, sometimes I think I'm an extremist. But then I realize the world is extreme and I'm the only sane one.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Andrast posted:

I don't think I would ever pay someone to GM but I do not understand why people would care if someone else does

Like, not even "pay the tickets for a game run at GenCon" level?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah!

I've had people ask me if I ever considered becoming a chef. gently caress no! I just want to cook good food and then eat it. I don't want to make it my job. Same for playing games. I just like playing them, and sometimes even writing about them, but I don't want to be a games journalist or whatever.

Capitalism wants to keep me underemployed so they don't have to give me benefits or promotions? gently caress those greedy asses, but I'm still going to enjoy my free time, and not feel obligated to turn it into money.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

People, I think, can easily feel either frustrated (why are they being paid for work I do for free, for fun?) or as though they're being criticized (are they saying I should be paying my GM friend for GMing?) because the way it's framed the GM isn't doing anything different from the usual. But, y'know, being a party entertainer is really different from hanging out with friends and rolling dice.

I personally think the only real issue with these GMs being paid to run games for strangers is that they should be offering more indie games for GMing, because that would be a real service to the hobby at large. If people started insisting 'you should be paying your GM' I'd find that more worrying in terms of creeping neoliberalism, and I don't disagree that the way this is written about implies that kind of commodification, but that doesn't seem like a real danger.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Splicer posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations!

Oh one last bit of book chat, did your wife ever read the Wicked Years series? A chunk of the first book Wicked was very loosely adapted to the musical Wicked. Elphaba/The Wicked Witch of the West is one of the strongest and most compelling leads I've read in a long time. She's only a POV character for the majority of the first book, since that's the one that covers her origin and fate, with the rest of the series mostly following the ripples of her life. But there are plenty of other compelling female and male PoV characters. It even does an interesting job of visiting a few characters in various stages of their lives. It's okay to also just stop at Wicked, I know a bunch of people who couldn't stand the second book's primary POV character, since the main theme is the character who may or may not be her failson attempting to reconcile his connections to her legacy. The third book felt even rougher to read, since this time the main POV character is "The cowardly lion, but his cowardice is a lack of all conviction" so you're constantly seeing the inner thoughts of a character choosing the easy way out and hating himself for it and vowing to be better, then doing the exact same thing again while other characters suffer for it. It has a payoff, but not one you're gonna see coming or that you're going to know to soldier through the story for.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I read the first two books and enjoyed them while they were going but was always really frustrated by the vague, ambiguous non-endings. I'm not saying this is necessarily a good criticism of the books, the abruptness and open-endedness may have been the point, it's just something that frustrated me at the time.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

theironjef posted:

Like, not even "pay the tickets for a game run at GenCon" level?

I don't particularly like playing RPGs with people who aren't my friends so not really

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sherri S. Tepper wrote a series, starting with the novel Grass, with a female protagonist. I recall enjoying it; it's nominally science fiction, with some horror elements, a bit of surrealness, and themes focusing on religion, submission, ethical responsibilities or the lack thereof, abandonment, power structures, and dysfunctional human relationships.

I'm also a big fan of C.J. Cherryh, a prolific female author of SF and fantasy novels. Her women characters are excellent, including both protagonists and villains and a lot of characters who sit in the grey areas between. The wikipedia article about her themes

I think a good place to start is with her Chanur novels, which follow an alien ship's captain and crew (the Hani are based very heavily in appearance and behavior on lions) with most of the story written from the perspective of Hilfy Chanur, the female captain of an all-female crew (their society is essentially matriarchal, albeit not exactly in the way a human society could be). Early Cherryh, this series is delightful and fun and loaded with truly excellent aliens, some of whom are almost reasonably understandable (the chanur, the mahendo'sat), some are fairly inscrutable, and some (the methane-breathers) are so bizarre that the best you can do is mostly try to avoid them. I've re-read this series a couple of times, it's really great.

You could also try her hugo-award-winning Downbelow Station, although IIRC that's not specifically a single female protagonist, I think the book jumps around between a handful of protagonists some of whom are men. That's set in her expansive Alliance-Union Space setting, which includes a couple dozen novels focusing on various time periods and people and events. Many of those novels are also from a female protagonists's perspective.

Cherryh is an important enough SF/Fantasy author that there's academic study of her. She's among the early women to bust into the male-dominated SF/Fantasy scene back in the 1970s. I'd go so far as to say that if you're interested in women SF/Fantasy writing, she's required reading.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I read the first two books and enjoyed them while they were going but was always really frustrated by the vague, ambiguous non-endings. I'm not saying this is necessarily a good criticism of the books, the abruptness and open-endedness may have been the point, it's just something that frustrated me at the time.
I guess it's a matter of taste and whether you enjoy ambiguity or the concept of "Yeah this character's story may be over, but the world is a very big place that's still got a lot going on." I think the ending bits are very fitting the first book, but I agree the second's ending does feel more abrupt with far more loose ends for the main characters.

Tying back to actual RPG chat, I also think the Wicked series has a pretty neat approach to magic, where there's a big ambiguity about what is and isn't magic and for that part there's just a bunch of weird stuff in the world. There are bits almost everyone agrees are magic, but those things aren't as simple as waving a wand or throwing a fireballs. Even resolving the damages magic causes the world require other elaborate rituals that appease the dead and lessen their suffering. The same way Burning Wheel has cool worldbuilding bits like the whole "being haunted by anyone you kill if you see their eyes" or "straddling horses causing impotence in men" bits, things matter in Oz.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 9, 2019

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Does having paid the GM affect the social dynamic at the table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea my group loves to gently caress around and get in tangents and all so I imagine we'd feel real awkward doing that with a dude paid to be there and all.

Then again 'I have a group of usuals who are all in sync with each other and we often swap around GM duty for campaigns' makes me probably the exact opposite of the intended market for this so maybe I'm the wrong one!