Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah it's kind of telling when apparently no one has thought to wheel their desk over and turn off the holiday crate drops for 7 entire months after christmas ended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah it's kind of telling when apparently no one has thought to wheel their desk over and turn off the holiday crate drops for 7 entire months after christmas ended

I got some Christmas 2018 crates, too, and it didn't occur to me until later how weird that was. :downs:

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah i kind of wish valve would do people a favor and tell them it's on life support instead of this 'totally an update coming any day now even though it's been almost two years since the last one' vague bullshit that people have to kind of assume

just don't bother, really

That's a sad thing to read, as TF2 was the first online multiplayer game that I took to and put a lot of time into. It still stands as my most played game on Steam (at 289 hours, which is including the few hours I put into it recently). Obviously, that's nowhere near as much as some people have, but it's still a considerable amount of time versus the time I've put into other games.

EDIT: Does there exist a SA thread for Source Filmmaker?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 8, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if valve doesn't touch tf2 they can't gently caress it up any worse

i'm worried that when lootboxes finally get banned, they might feel the urge to Make Changes at the same time as they remove crates

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's kind of depressing. i just want some sort of closure.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

having been gutted of most of the stuff that made it good tf2 will now die slowly and horribly

its legacy will be a game that spent more than 70% of its lifespan being bad, with good tf2 being a hazy memory relayed by old people to skeptical children

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Max Wilco posted:

EDIT: Does there exist a SA thread for Source Filmmaker?

there was but I think it got archived

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

having been gutted of most of the stuff that made it good tf2 will now die slowly and horribly

its legacy will be a game that spent more than 70% of its lifespan being bad, with good tf2 being a hazy memory relayed by old people to skeptical children

TF2 is fun to play right now (though I agree maybe don't put money into it), and has been fun to play for its lifespan except for that period where they were adding weapons faster than they were addressing the glaring balance issues with the weapons they added in the last 2-3 updates.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm still bitter about the sandman but I'd be playing right now if my internet permitted.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I’d say there are some things in the game that are pretty glaringly wrong considering the original design, but overall it’s still really fun to play and the issues that detract don’t do so in such a way that ruins the game.

Most of the main issue with the game are that valve used it as a test bed for other projects that never took off and then left this 1/4 assembled thing in the game that no one really uses except for people dedicated to that specific niche. MvM has gone a lot longer than the main game without an update and it shows. However, loot crates and weapon skins took off for them so they ported it to all of their other games.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Galaxander posted:

TF2 is fun to play right now (though I agree maybe don't put money into it), and has been fun to play for its lifespan

There's been a massive decline in quality over the past several years which seems to have finally bottomed out when, after killing all decent community servers, they removed valve servers from the browser and forced everyone to use their awful matchmaking system and then stopped updating forever. So all that exists currently is basically the worst TF2 you could play back in 2014(when it had already declined a fair bit from The Good Old Days), but which requires you to wait 5 to 10 minutes. And is on a server that probably isn't playing the map you want or has nobody on it or is filled with hackers and dropbots or gives you terrible ping. Quit out of this and try to match again and it'll put you right back in the same server, and if you open the server browser all you'll see is Skial 24/7 Hightower and achievement_idle. If you manage to navigate through all of that and get randomly deposited onto a valve server that isn't some variety of clusterfuck or find one of the few surviving community servers(if there are any, haven't checked in a year or two and it's possible the final pockets of resistance have been squashed) then you can play what is basically TF2, but with balance issues and half of both teams sitting in spawn circlejerking over their 200 dollar hats that have geysers of flame shooting out of them.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I still have tons of fun when I play it. It is still a good game and having an active userbase is wonderful.

I would love if some of the half finished maps like Asteroid had been completed but the fact we have so many great ways to play currently is great.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

cock hero flux posted:

There's been a massive decline in quality over the past several years which seems to have finally bottomed out when, after killing all decent community servers, they removed valve servers from the browser and forced everyone to use their awful matchmaking system and then stopped updating forever. So all that exists currently is basically the worst TF2 you could play back in 2014(when it had already declined a fair bit from The Good Old Days), but which requires you to wait 5 to 10 minutes. And is on a server that probably isn't playing the map you want or has nobody on it or is filled with hackers and dropbots or gives you terrible ping. Quit out of this and try to match again and it'll put you right back in the same server, and if you open the server browser all you'll see is Skial 24/7 Hightower and achievement_idle. If you manage to navigate through all of that and get randomly deposited onto a valve server that isn't some variety of clusterfuck or find one of the few surviving community servers(if there are any, haven't checked in a year or two and it's possible the final pockets of resistance have been squashed) then you can play what is basically TF2, but with balance issues and half of both teams sitting in spawn circlejerking over their 200 dollar hats that have geysers of flame shooting out of them.

Strongly :agreed:

What was wrong with just going into a 20~/24 valve server on any map you wanted, immediately loading in and playing whatever you wanted, compared to using a crappy version of DOTA matchmaking queueing? Good luck also trying to search for maps like Foundry anymore.

I ended my TF2 playtime by spending several hours on a weekend getting up to 500 headshots on one of those 16v16 dustbowl holdout servers on my Happy Wheels huntsman. I would give that 5 stars.
But nothing else in the current TF2 environment, IMO.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I sold all my special items a while ago and now I am missing some essential weapons.

I have plenty refined, there was a site that just had bots trade me stuff for weapons right? Which one was that again?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

EorayMel posted:

What was wrong with just going into a 20~/24 valve server on any map you wanted, immediately loading in and playing whatever you wanted, compared to using a crappy version of DOTA matchmaking queueing? Good luck also trying to search for maps like Foundry anymore.

:nod:

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

diff'rent strokes

To me matchmaking has been a massive blessing as I now only play maps that I like, and can quickly get into a well populated server. I don't know what balance issues are spoiling your fun now or what era from the past didn't have as bad or worse ones.

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I have a great time when I play. To me the worst thing about current TF2 is when a new batch of contracts is released and suddenly everyone wants to extend the match indefinitely so that they can rack up 25 pistol kills with engie or whatever. Well, that or textbinds.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Zedd posted:

I sold all my special items a while ago and now I am missing some essential weapons.

I have plenty refined, there was a site that just had bots trade me stuff for weapons right? Which one was that again?

Scrap.tf

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I’m an American in the east coast and most of your issues don’t really occur to me. I never wait more than a minute for a casual match, unless I’m playing a super obscure map (and I wouldn’t refer to foundry as obscure either).

As for community servers, they killed themselves during the quickplay changes, well before the change to matchmaking. I also think you forget that the majority of community servers were rtd, donator perk, 24/7 one map, instant respawn garbage. The Lost Continents fizzled our before the match making changes, as did most good community servers because, well people moved on. We were left with heavily modded servers and for a while pinion ads. Those type of servers still exist, and are randomly populated, but most normal play is fine on the casual servers.

Obviously there are still a ton of issues with the game, and the issues may be worse in regions that aren’t the US or EU. I think the experience could use an overhaul for new players since it’s now a very complex game compared to the last time it loaded up. I can still play pretty normal matches on CP, AD, PL, PLR maps without issue.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I played for the first time in a while recently and got into maps quickly and with decent populations. Seems like it hasn't changed all that much, although I got chewed out by one scrub who blamed our team's loss on me running the Kritz on Payload Defense. :psyduck: I've seen more people running the other Mediguns (when there are Medics), but I wasn't aware the meta changed that much. He was probably just an idiot though.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Thank you!

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"

leather fedora posted:

running the Kritz

Thank You For Your Service

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Got my wife's new gaming PC up and running over the weekend. We're going to play TF2 together because TF2 is still great and gently caress the haters. :getin:

Oh yeah, the nearby Target has a bunch of those TF2 action figures in stock. I'm gonna buy our favorite classes (Scout and Medic) because why the hell not? Also they come with genuine hat codes.

leather fedora posted:

I played for the first time in a while recently and got into maps quickly and with decent populations. Seems like it hasn't changed all that much, although I got chewed out by one scrub who blamed our team's loss on me running the Kritz on Payload Defense. :psyduck: I've seen more people running the other Mediguns (when there are Medics), but I wasn't aware the meta changed that much. He was probably just an idiot though.

If it was casual play, who cares? Have fun.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I’m an American in the east coast and most of your issues don’t really occur to me. I never wait more than a minute for a casual match, unless I’m playing a super obscure map (and I wouldn’t refer to foundry as obscure either).

:same:

Honestly though I don't have much room to talk, I only ever play Hightower.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Lets just say id rather go back to this game than Overwatch. Maybe its just nostalgia but nothing beats this game for me.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

leather fedora posted:

He was probably just an idiot though.

Can confirm

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
coming back to this game after a 3 year break, nothing has changed and I love it

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I miss sitting on a server for multiple maps and getting to know who the strong players are, seeing them both on the other team and on your own. When matchmaking took that experience away, it kind of sapped my enthusiasm to play, even though I know it's kind of a peripheral thing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If you want to play with a friend, can you easily get that friend on the other team yet? Last time I played it was a real downer to discover that I couldn't fight my friends barring some exceptional circumstances with the team balancing

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ditocoaf posted:

I miss sitting on a server for multiple maps and getting to know who the strong players are, seeing them both on the other team and on your own. When matchmaking took that experience away, it kind of sapped my enthusiasm to play, even though I know it's kind of a peripheral thing.

A community server I played on for many years finally shut down a little while back, but they posted an announcement about it beforehand, and the final weekend was a great time fragging and being fragged by lots of people I hadn't played with in ages.

Rip smurfy 2012-2019

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Ditocoaf posted:

That is the huge down side of match making.

It used to be worth sitting through a few roll rounds because you knew auto balance would sort things out. Once the teams were even people would stay on the server through multiple rounds and map changes.

I remember getting loads of good even matches that way.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Autobalance was definitely better but getting autobalanced into a now unstoppable stomp that you helped create was awful.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is there like a list of the best loadouts per class?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

bowmore posted:

Lots of YouTubers post videos of their own preferred stuff. Just search "tf2 demoman best loadout"?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if it's not bootlegger + sticky jumper + caber then they're wrong, hth

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

bowmore posted:

90% of the time it's the stock loadouts, with maybe the melee weapons changed out

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
In my horrible opinion it’s the following for “try harding:”

Scout - Stock
Demo - Stock
Spy - Stock
Heavy - Tomislav/ Stock Minigun, sandwich, fist of steel
Soldier - Rocket Launcher, Gun boats (shotgun if there are a lot of decent scouts or good air blasting pyros), escape plan
Pyro - Degreaser, shotgun(detonator for mobility or harassment), powerjack
Medic - crossbow, Uber/kritz, ubersaw
Sniper - Stock Rifle, Jarate, Stock
Engineer - honestly this really is all dependent on map and play style, I generally go Shotgun, pistol, gunslinger because I hate baby sitting a sentry, but there are too many options to list an optimal without going into great detail.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

leather fedora posted:

I tell them they will win while I use the fun medguns I like or they will not win at all.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
I wish Valve had created a few more CTF maps in line with the original spy base theme (mundane buildings up top, high-tech lair underground), I would love a new 2Fort or simply more creative and interactive base vs. base maps.

My idea for a sequel to 2Fort is a much larger map with the same aesthetics but more detailed defined bases further apart, connected by the bridge and a cable car (Conker Reloaded circa 2005 had a really fun map with this), and designed to be defended/attacked from multiple routes and side paths.

psyman fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 9, 2019

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

One of the few non-stock weapons I'd recommend is the Iron Bomber for demoman. The long and short of it is that you're more likely to deal damage with rollers and there isn't a significant downside. If you're real good you can even use it as a sort of sticky launcher jr. Don't sweat it if you don't have one though.

SnakesandScorpions
Apr 4, 2015
Oh god, am I going to reinstall this in 2019? I have almost 2,000 hours on this game. I don't know if I can come back again. I left the scene about the time MvM came into rotation.

I remember the excitement of playing this game when it was fresh and new. I guess I grew up from the game and drifted away to other games that took up less of my time. Still though, I would not mind playing again for nostalgia's sake. Is there an SA discord for this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

the biggest crime with this game is that the last comic is probably never coming out