Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Pham Nuwen posted:

This is an old post but awesome... What plans did you use to build this? What tools? I've got a friend with a reasonable woodworking setup who might be willing to help me.

Plans: http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/default.htm

Make sure to check out the "Photos from Builders", you can get a lot of good ideas, and there are a few with links to other build logs that I found helpful.

I ordered my fiberglass, resin, and associated supplies from http://www.raka.com/

You could get it done with nothing more than a drill and a circular saw, except for the stems, which you kinda need a table saw for. It's possible to get crafty with a circular saw and do a two piece stem, but a table saw is a big help here. I also used a table saw to cut down the plywood, a router to flush cut and round over the bottom to fit the boat, a jigsaw here and there, and a belt sander to do the scarf joint.

If I were going to do it again, I'd go with four ribs instead of three.

Also, it's hard to believe it's been two years since I built that.

Here's a bonus picture that popped up in my Facebook memories today of my mom and dog paddling around in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

n0tqu1tesane posted:

How's the fuel bulb look? Did it get firm enough when you primed it before starting? They can and do go bad over time, and will allow enough fuel through to start after priming, but then restrict flow to keep it from running.

And yes, you should be fine replacing the prop cap with a castle nut, or make your own by drilling some cross holes in a regular nut. You may have to use a washer or two to get proper torque on the prop though.

Scrapez posted:

Very cool little fishing boat. For the trailer, have you looked at a breakaway tongue? Adding one might allow you to fit it into the garage without angling it.

Thanks! They're such a basic little boat for 1 or 2 people to putter around in. If I get the right racks for my truck, I believe I could get it up there myself and pull my little 19' camper along. I thought about those hinged tongues, but I just broke out my sawzall of bad decisions and hacked off a piece. It fits nicely now, and I'll get around to clearing out some junk I'll get the wifes Jetta back in too.

All the fuel lines seem to be in good shape, so I putzed around Gull Lake for about 4-5 hours and the motor ran like a top. It used about a half tank. I managed to snag a little jackfish, which was was I expected. I've forgotten how much the bow will rise on these little boats will rise at wot (lol, 8 hp at the prop) when there's almost no weight to put to the front. I could move the trim pin a little, but it's not like it was a problem. I've also forgotten how uncomfortable the benches get after that long on the water. The free launches aren't very friendly, but since it's such a small boat I had no problem on my own.

9/10, will continue boating. Off to measure the prop shaft threads.

Also, this was the 'spare' prop in the box o' parts.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I checked on my boat today. Its in a sad state after sitting for 6-7 years due to reasons. Its all relatively fixable, but some of it will be a fucker to do. The cable steering is siezed loving solid. I need to find a way to open it all up and de rust it and regrease it. And I dunno the term, but it looks like the rear main for the power unit is pissing oil. Im not sure how a two stroke pisses oil, but this one is.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Plans: http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/default.htm

Make sure to check out the "Photos from Builders", you can get a lot of good ideas, and there are a few with links to other build logs that I found helpful.

I ordered my fiberglass, resin, and associated supplies from http://www.raka.com/

You could get it done with nothing more than a drill and a circular saw, except for the stems, which you kinda need a table saw for. It's possible to get crafty with a circular saw and do a two piece stem, but a table saw is a big help here. I also used a table saw to cut down the plywood, a router to flush cut and round over the bottom to fit the boat, a jigsaw here and there, and a belt sander to do the scarf joint.

If I were going to do it again, I'd go with four ribs instead of three.

Also, it's hard to believe it's been two years since I built that.

Here's a bonus picture that popped up in my Facebook memories today of my mom and dog paddling around in it.

Thanks!

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Old Balls McGee posted:

I've forgotten how much the bow will rise on these little boats will rise at wot (lol, 8 hp at the prop) when there's almost no weight to put to the front. I could move the trim pin a little, but it's not like it was a problem.

Planing that boat with that motor when alone should be possible (barely) with the right prop at the right angle. Riding around with the bow in the air sucks, it's slow and inefficient. When I had a similar boat with a 4hp tohatsu 4-stroke (nice motor) that wasn't even close to planing I used a "speed stick" when alone - just a PVC tube that slipped over the tiller (?) attached to a wooden handle of suitable length. That allowed me to sit on the middle bench while operating steering and throttle. This brought the bow down and about doubled the speed at WOT. Sketchy in rough seas obviously, but fine for cruising in calm waters.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Invalido posted:

Planing that boat with that motor when alone should be possible (barely) with the right prop at the right angle. Riding around with the bow in the air sucks, it's slow and inefficient. When I had a similar boat with a 4hp tohatsu 4-stroke (nice motor) that wasn't even close to planing I used a "speed stick" when alone - just a PVC tube that slipped over the tiller (?) attached to a wooden handle of suitable length. That allowed me to sit on the middle bench while operating steering and throttle. This brought the bow down and about doubled the speed at WOT. Sketchy in rough seas obviously, but fine for cruising in calm waters.

It also helps a bit to move the fuel tank, ice chest, etc as far forward as you can when you're sitting at the rear.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Even in a bigger boat its important. My flats boat has a fairly big 20-25 gallon fuel tank in the bow that when full makes it so damned easy to put that boat on plane with just a small amount of tilt/trim manipulation when you go wot.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
We have a similar boat in our moose camp. It has a similar 4hp motor and we do have a speed stick for it as she does the same thing. That's on the list for my next trip to the hardware store.

There was pretty much only me and the bare essentials for boating and fishing. The anchor was upfront, so not a whole lot of gear left to move around.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
You can get pre-made extensions too, I have one of these that came with my boat on the bow-mount trolling motor.

https://www.amazon.com/Ironwood-Pacific-HelmsMate-Extension-Handle/dp/B000BTEEVG/

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014
So I've been looking for a 25(ish) foot sailboat for the last month or so. When I see a new boat pop up in the classifieds, before looking at it, I'll typically search the boat's name on various sailing forums, in order to sort of aggregate a basic opinion if its something I should be interested in.

It was all fairly straightforward, some boats were real champions, otheres were duds to be avoided. Until I decided to research the "san juan 24"

I came across this thread on sailing anarchy, basically what something awful would be if it was exclusively about sailboats (also called SA in the community)
detailing the misadventures of a deranged Russian immigrant who repeatedly tries to sail around the world in shitted out boats given to him for free by people in the very forum thread.

This man apparently refuses to learn anything about sailing, or take any rational advice about properly outfitting his boat etc. On no less than 3 occasions has he required rescuing, in one case drifting in the pacific for over 120 days.

The forum thread is a hilarious 250 page rabbithole.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/149798-sailing-around-the-world-in-a-san-juan-24/&

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Oh god, the barnacles!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ah Rimas the cockroach. It’s a tale of unprecedented incompetence.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm reading the forum thread and at least in the first two pages it reads like the Doobie threads: blind enthusiasm and a weird willingness to throw money at an idiot with no experience or plans, plus making GBS threads on anyone who says "Guys he's had to be rescued twice already, maybe giving him just enough money to limp back out to his death isn't the best option?".

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Wow. It's Groverhouseboat.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Doobie's Dog Houseboat

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Holy poo poo on page 11 he runs into Hurricane Marie :suspense:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
well, this is a lot less... shocking.....

But cool none the less. I sailed my puddle duck last week, all on my own. Turns out.. I can sail. :-)

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
lol if y'all don't know about (other) SA.

The admin/moderator still runs the front page like Something Awful circa 2004 but he does a good job of being a reasonably liberal shithead lolbertarian once in awhile which is enough to be edgy to boomers and manages to piss a lot of the "traditional" sailing community off.

Plus he has probably the nicest FT10 on the planet at this point, which basically came about directly as a result of, and his forum was the main sales channel of, that stupid, fast, idiotic yet brazenly charming homegrown 10m sportboat.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Old Balls McGee posted:

Hi boat thread. I bought a little fishing boat. Babbys first.

12" Mirrocraft, Utility V 4602.

The idea of a 75 horse motor on a 12’ boat makes me giggle like an idiot

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Hate to break it to you, but that's a 7.5hp motor, not 75. 75 would rip that tin boat in half.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
He clearly states it is, in fact, a twelve inch boat though?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Nidhg00670000 posted:

He clearly states it is, in fact, a twelve inch boat though?

6.25 was a pretty standard horsepower:inch marine conversion for a while

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I had a 10’ flat-bottomed aluminum boat when I was a kid, with a 9.9hp Mercury.

It was... Entertaining.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm working on repairing either a 9.9 or a 9.5 for this boat.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
^^can't tell how deep this joke is going now

MrYenko posted:

It was... Entertaining.

I've run on a 9.9 on an aluminum... wait... flat bottomed?! That is a party

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

My dad's got a 5hp on a 12' fishing boat, and it's a bit hard for him to control--he keeps accidentally turning the throttle when he's trying to steer. Some of that is no doubt him; are there alternative throttles or anything that might make it easier for him to deal with? I know basically zero about boats with engines.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Hypnobeard posted:

My dad's got a 5hp on a 12' fishing boat, and it's a bit hard for him to control--he keeps accidentally turning the throttle when he's trying to steer. Some of that is no doubt him; are there alternative throttles or anything that might make it easier for him to deal with? I know basically zero about boats with engines.

Its like a newer driver having problems with a motorcycle throttle. How does he sit in it? Bench seats and in the back? He probably just needs a center console setup or something with side mount lever control. All I've ever been on is 12' aluminum boats with 9.9's or less so that is all I can drive haha. I'm pretttty sure its the ideal boat

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Its like a newer driver having problems with a motorcycle throttle. How does he sit in it? Bench seats and in the back? He probably just needs a center console setup or something with side mount lever control. All I've ever been on is 12' aluminum boats with 9.9's or less so that is all I can drive haha. I'm pretttty sure its the ideal boat

Yeah, bench seats, he's in the back. Might not even be a 12', honestly, I can't remember what he told me. He just uses it to put out into the "lake" to fish occasionally, so it's likely just lack of experience with it. I just don't even know what to start googling for alternative control things--I figured there might be a lever control but wasn't sure you could get them for engines/boats that small.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

MrYenko posted:

It was... Entertaining.

Sounds like dads 3.5M quintrex with a 25hp Johnson.

WOT is not a valid option

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The boat I mostly work with does something like 30,000 HP :smug:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ferremit posted:

Sounds like dads 3.5M quintrex with a 25hp Johnson.

WOT is not a valid option

Watch me try. WITNESS ME BROTHERS!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

But can you take it between American ports with cargo?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Harnessing the wind is grabbing on to near-enough-infinite HP :smug: :colbert: :smug:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

crazypeltast52 posted:

But can you take it between American ports with cargo?

Yes, as long as I don’t unload cargo loaded in an American port in another American port.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I used to work at a summer camp whose sailing program boat was a 12ft Whaler with a 20hp long shaft Johnson, it was a complete monster and had no issue planing almost all the boat out of the water if you felt like it. A bit weird handling at low speed. Facilities staff had a 40hp version of the same engine on a Montauk, much nicer to drive and not much slower.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DJ Commie posted:

a 20hp long shaft Johnson, it was a complete monster

don't doxx me, jeez

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have a 15’ Whaler with a 70hp Yamaha...it’s fun.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I want.....a HYDROFOIL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ExF3xb-6g

Doesn't seem...too hard to make.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

beep-beep car is go posted:

I want.....a HYDROFOIL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ExF3xb-6g

Doesn't seem...too hard to make.

That's really cool. I wonder how they'd do on water that isn't perfect glass? If you catch a wake from the side how stable would it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Scrapez posted:

That's really cool. I wonder how they'd do on water that isn't perfect glass? If you catch a wake from the side how stable would it be?

Hydrofoils are supposed to be great in chop because there is just that much less boat surface for the waves to hit.