Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If you play as an aspirant you'll probably eat poo poo and die unless you get good auction house fodder or are actually good at the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What's an aspirant?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i am a big fan of pounding the clerical job once i've got about two-three in each stat, and inching my way rapidly up to board member once i manage to hire a single dude with Edge or Moth 5.

read the entirety of morlands and the auction house over the course of about half an hour, and build up a big enough nest egg to literally never have to work again until you start being able to explore with Unresolved Ambiguities - i think it's Hunter's Pits that gives you 3 skadaptaron fangs as a reward, aka a useless ingredient that can be sold for at least 60 funds and up to 84.

once you start exploring, don't be afraid to sell stuff. got a level 8 tool? sell your level 4. bunch of pigments? flog them. got a human corpse? see if someone wants to buy it. the possibilities are endless

e: aspirant is the default career, the one you start with when you first boot the game. it has nothing good going for it

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Those fangs are amazing money yeah. Literally no ritual needs more than 2 edge, so a 12 edge ingredient is hilariously pointless overkill. You can get 2 edge just using a Dread, or else give Biedde's blade to Neville and use him for free maid-in-the-mirrors forever.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Update: I spent a bunch of time improving my health, but exploring and experimentation set me up for a bad time. But that's learning!

Second run was a Detective where I made a dumb error very early, eventually died to a despair timer that moved off screen

Lots of fun!

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
What is considered a safe level of funds at which to stop work-grinding?

...I, uh, may have build up to over 250 funds by obsessively dancing due to having had several deaths by poverty.

Also, I do not dance at the Ecdysis club unless I need to for some reason, and money is not that reason. One accrues Scars in place of Health dancing on contract at Ecdysis. They do not impede dancing for Ecdysis, but they are not Health any longer.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Artificer posted:

What's an aspirant?

It's the first character type, the "works at a morgue for a day and is literally useless" one.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Kacie posted:

What is considered a safe level of funds at which to stop work-grinding?

...I, uh, may have build up to over 250 funds by obsessively dancing due to having had several deaths by poverty.

Also, I do not dance at the Ecdysis club unless I need to for some reason, and money is not that reason. One accrues Scars in place of Health dancing on contract at Ecdysis. They do not impede dancing for Ecdysis, but they are not Health any longer.

You don't need to use health or passion to dance. Just leave those slots empty and you'll never get a scar.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Mzbundifund posted:

You don't need to use health or passion to dance. Just leave those slots empty and you'll never get a scar.

Or accumulate 3 scars and dance using those.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Mzbundifund posted:

! ! !

Well. Tonight may have been the last night that Phryne danced at the Gaity.

I learned a way to deal with Notoriety before it can get picked up by an investigator, but I didn't learn it myself, I gave in to temptation and looked on the wiki because I was waiting for it to decay before exploring more vaults. (Which is very slow.) Turns out there is another way. Talk to Heart Disciples about your cult, and they deal with the Notoriety!

Let me know if I should stop sharing tips I've learned via spoilers. I've learned a ton from this thread, and am hoping to give back as it were.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Quick update, was planning on writing the first part of the apostle update tonight, but had a bit of a computer problem. I bought a new PSU for my PC but the cables are too short to actually reach the motherboard, *sad trombone noise*. Extensions arrive tomorrow but I'm a little busy Tuesday-Thursday so the next update may not come til the end of the week (unless my D&D game on Thursday is cancelled).

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Kacie posted:

Let me know if I should stop sharing tips I've learned via spoilers. I've learned a ton from this thread, and am hoping to give back as it were.

i mean ever since the Stag door opened and a big bronze head cried for a bit this place is spoiler-friendly, so

if you have notoriety problems it doesn't really matter. the issues begin once you have evidence problems

e: and it's one Funds per minute, so stop working once you have a sufficient amount of real life time to do other stuff that you want to do using the Work verb, and start again when you don't

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Reveilled posted:

Quick update, was planning on writing the first part of the apostle update tonight, but had a bit of a computer problem. I bought a new PSU for my PC but the cables are too short to actually reach the motherboard, *sad trombone noise*. Extensions arrive tomorrow but I'm a little busy Tuesday-Thursday so the next update may not come til the end of the week (unless my D&D game on Thursday is cancelled).

this right here is why i freaking hate computers nowadays

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i mean ever since the Stag door opened and a big bronze head cried for a bit this place is spoiler-friendly, so

if you have notoriety problems it doesn't really matter. the issues begin once you have evidence problems

e: and it's one Funds per minute, so stop working once you have a sufficient amount of real life time to do other stuff that you want to do using the Work verb, and start again when you don't

Thanks! --I kept the contract at the Gaity, which will expire after 2min, but now I know I can (safely) dance at the Ecdysis, that's not an issue and I can let the Gaity contract expire.

My notoriety problems became evidence problems that I didn't know how to solve in the time I had. Ergo, don't let the notoriety become evidence is a nice new policy.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Kacie posted:

I learned a way to deal with Notoriety before it can get picked up by an investigator, but I didn't learn it myself, I gave in to temptation and looked on the wiki because I was waiting for it to decay before exploring more vaults. (Which is very slow.) Turns out there is another way. Talk to Heart Disciples about your cult, and they deal with the Notoriety!
Note that, much like the investigators themselves, this method picks a random Reputation card from the board, so it becomes increasingly unreliable the more Mystique you have.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Ephemeron posted:

Note that, much like the investigators themselves, this method picks a random Reputation card from the board, so it becomes increasingly unreliable the more Mystique you have.
I think it’s worse than that - it preferentially gets rid of Mystique over Notoriety. At least that’s what the wiki says, and it matches my own experience.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

pumpinglemma posted:

I think it’s worse than that - it preferentially gets rid of Mystique over Notoriety. At least that’s what the wiki says, and it matches my own experience.

I don't think that's true, I believe you just had bad RNG experience.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

have a check of Frangiclave and check out the code, I guess. my experience is of preferential snatching of notoriety

and imo as soon as you get everything from the Gaiety you should stop dancing there. the benefactors are so much more lucrative, and for bonus points you can not meet any acquaintances and try to get them killed with a Winter ritual

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

have a check of Frangiclave and check out the code, I guess. my experience is of preferential snatching of notoriety

and imo as soon as you get everything from the Gaiety you should stop dancing there. the benefactors are so much more lucrative, and for bonus points you can not meet any acquaintances and try to get them killed with a Winter ritual

Quick look at the code says there's no preference, it just grabs one random card with the Reputation aspect, meaning a Mystique, a Notoriety, or even a Corpse. If you want to improve the odds that it picks Notoriety instead of Mystique, you can slant your odds by locking down up to 4 mystique cards in a painting, and holding another mystique in your mouse cursor.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol i forgot you can talk away a corpse, i had someone accidentally steal my Medium's dinner once

some real Weekend at Ezeems nonsense as you puppeteer the body to convince Douglas that everything's fine

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Alright, so the base game had the Lantern, Forge and Grail victories. The Dancer added the Moth and Heart victories. Then Priest added Knock and Medium added Winter, which leaves only Edge and Secret Histories lacking victories.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Sounds about right. They haven't categorically ruled out adding an edge ascension but they are full steam ahead on their next project now so I think it will be a long time coming. Game feels incomplete without it though imo

Much like my life is incomplete without new updates to this LP :pray:

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Maugrim posted:

Sounds about right. They haven't categorically ruled out adding an edge ascension but they are full steam ahead on their next project now so I think it will be a long time coming. Game feels incomplete without it though imo

Much like my life is incomplete without new updates to this LP :pray:

I dunno, there being no Edge ascension makes enough sense in my head. Edge is the aspect of violence and betrayal, and that doesn't exactly ring of immortality to me. The one anecdote of an Edge-long in the game suggests that you would need to be a warrior of exceptional renown, and that would require the game change radically.

The Secret Histories have no Hour to be appointed under, so that's why there's no ascension for it; they're just a feature of the setting.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
There was a show with Kevin Bacon that involved a mass murdering cult leader. He was charismatic and could get people to be completely loyal to him and murder without a thought. People killing their own families and mass staged murder events. I feel an Edge accession would work something like that. You would have to deal with a lot of hunters.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
A secret histories ascension wouldn't be about becoming a long, I think, instead it would be about writing in a sixth history.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Materant posted:

The Secret Histories have no Hour to be appointed under, so that's why there's no ascension for it; they're just a feature of the setting.

That's not true, the Vagabond has an aspect of Secret Histories.

An Edge ascension seems like it would involve violently invading the Mansus. I'm imagining full on Kill Six Billion Demons here.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Tenebrais posted:

That's not true, the Vagabond has an aspect of Secret Histories.

An Edge ascension seems like it would involve violently invading the Mansus. I'm imagining full on Kill Six Billion Demons here.

...you know, I completely forgot about the Vagabond.

Also, at that point you basically have Doom: The Secret Histories.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Tenebrais posted:

*whips out mspaint*

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hrgn, colonel. i've made it to Outer Heaven

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Colonel, Im trying to ascend, but im dummy thicc

and the clap of my asscheeks keeps alerting the hunters

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that said, the thought of what the Edge hours and the Horned Axe would do to those who attempted to interrupt their efforts to contain the gods from nowhere is a bit, uh

you ever wonder where Vital Pigment comes from

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I read this in his voice goddam

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I started playing this game because of the LP. My first game I died quickly because I didn't know what I was doing. Second game was as Dancer, I spent a long time just building up my attributes and working for the patrons. Ended up getting married and settling down, never even started a cult. Very different simulator.

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

which image is more viscerally upsetting? yours or mine???

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Is that better or worse than Rise screaming Victor's name?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ahahahaha

I don't know why but this just makes me laugh.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you do in fact end up dommed to death by him, which is hideous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

you do in fact end up dommed to death by him, which is hideous

Wait, what? When/where does this happen?