Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You can’t go wrong with Notability. I’ve had it since my iPad 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Going back to beta chatter, I am having more instances of bugs on beta 3 than I've probably ever had on any beta before.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Can any beta 3 tester do me a solid and check how developed the files SMB feature is? If it works fine for connecting and browsing a nas, I might as well uninstall FileBrowser once iPadOS ships

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

Can any beta 3 tester do me a solid and check how developed the files SMB feature is? If it works fine for connecting and browsing a nas, I might as well uninstall FileBrowser once iPadOS ships

I didn’t even know that was a feature. It seems to work fine, from browsing a few folders with hundreds of items, and opening a few PDFs, MP3s and videos. Video playback works but is limited by codec support

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Clark Nova posted:

Video playback works but is limited by codec support

So it's mp4 (h264/h265 codec) only correct? no mkv files right?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For USB storage and SMB, can it open/edit stuff in place or does it do the "open in" thing where it copies stuff over to whatever app you open in?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I have a weirdly complicated question.

I have the Anker PowerPort and use it generally to just charge my iPhone and AirPods and the few MicroUSB things I have. Would it be okay to get a MicroUSB to USB-C adapter for something like this and charge my iPad with it? Are there any problems with using an adapter and wall outlet blocks?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

LODGE NORTH posted:

I have a weirdly complicated question.

I have the Anker PowerPort and use it generally to just charge my iPhone and AirPods and the few MicroUSB things I have. Would it be okay to get a MicroUSB to USB-C adapter for something like this and charge my iPad with it? Are there any problems with using an adapter and wall outlet blocks?

I had a cheap one and only one side of it worked, which is like half of the benefit of USB-C so... check to make sure that doesn’t happen?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Why not just get a USB to USB-C cable? I just got a pair of anker ones for like $9.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Why not just get a USB to USB-C cable? I just got a pair of anker ones for like $9.

The thing only has two ports and I mainly use the Lightning one for my AirPods and my MicroUSB one for a few medical devices and random emulation devices I've gotten off ebay. USB-C would only be for my iPad and Switch.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Are there custom handwriting keyboards for the iPad? I would really like one that the Surface Pro has where you can write on the bottom area and it will automatically transform your words to text. It would be really convenient as even apps which convert handwriting on iPad require you to do the whole select and convert thing.

Or are there any apps which will open up a word document directly from OneDrive and let you do the same?

Edit: I’ve found an app called Myscript Nebo which might help me, but it costs £7.99 and I’m not sure it will work. Whatever happened to that refund with 14 days as long as it’s not abused that was in operation within the EU - is that still the case or will Apple block your account for forcing a refund (I’ve never done it before)?

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 8, 2019

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Sri.Theo posted:

Are there custom handwriting keyboards for the iPad? I would really like one that the Surface Pro has where you can write on the bottom area and it will automatically transform your words to text. It would be really convenient as even apps which convert handwriting on iPad require you to do the whole select and convert thing.

Or are there any apps which will open up a word document directly from OneDrive and let you do the same?

Edit: I’ve found an app called Myscript Nebo which might help me, but it costs £7.99 and I’m not sure it will work. Whatever happened to that refund with 14 days as long as it’s not abused that was in operation within the EU - is that still the case or will Apple block your account for forcing a refund (I’ve never done it before)?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/selvy-penscript/id1027637212

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Just a warning, the new public beta seems a little glitchier for me than the first one on an iPad Pro 2017. A lot more dropped inputs while playing a game, and the Reminders badge is showing the total number of reminders I have for today, not just overdue ones.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Sri.Theo posted:

Are there custom handwriting keyboards for the iPad?

I have one called “mazec”, it works fine.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Thanks, it seems to work well, although it misses a few conveniences. It also works without enabling ‘full permission’ as it requests you to.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Question Mark Mound posted:

Just a warning, the new public beta seems a little glitchier for me than the first one on an iPad Pro 2017. A lot more dropped inputs while playing a game, and the Reminders badge is showing the total number of reminders I have for today, not just overdue ones.

Just hit update on my Air 2, was hoping it was more stable than PB1 as that seemed to be quite a mess.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

Ah poo poo the first one was pretty god damned buggy as was. It’s weird because the 2nd public beta for iOS is actually way better and more stable so I was hoping for the same on iPad.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I wanna try iPadOS but I don’t want the beta(s) on my iPhone and MacBook. Does iPadOS play nice with iCloud stuff (syncing, etc) if every other device is on the current iOS/macOS? Will it break all my Siri Shortcuts?

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Shortcuts is actually mentioned under Issues.

If you’re using them on iOS 12 or syncing with anything running the beta, you’ll have issues.

B1 I had 2 copies of Shortcuts.app on the beta phone and a heap of crashing.. can’t remember what I had to do to get things to work but I would definitely say avoid the beta or use a separate iCloud until this is sorted. If possible

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I wanna try iPadOS but I don’t want the beta(s) on my iPhone and MacBook. Does iPadOS play nice with iCloud stuff (syncing, etc) if every other device is on the current iOS/macOS? Will it break all my Siri Shortcuts?

Don't do it. iCloud sync stuff has had issues in general in the beta. I'd stay away for now

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Last Chance posted:

Don't do it. iCloud sync stuff has had issues in general in the beta. I'd stay away for now

Yeah I just saw this in my RSS feed and it sounds like a total poo poo show. I get that it’s a beta and I know what that entails, and I know this is probably only an issue because they’re updating iCloud under the hold as well, but it seems really sloppy to release a public beta that can corrupt/lose your iCloud data which is an essential part of the macOS/iOS ecosystem.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I’m really torn on getting a Paperlike screen protector for my 3rd gen 12.9. I draw a lot, but I also watch movies and shows near daily on it. How bad is the “moire-ing”?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Feenix posted:

I’m really torn on getting a Paperlike screen protector for my 3rd gen 12.9. I draw a lot, but I also watch movies and shows near daily on it. How bad is the “moire-ing”?

I’ve barely noticed unless you shift angles a lot.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I’ve barely noticed unless you shift angles a lot.

So crisp, gloriously colored videos are still more or less crisp, gloriously colored videos? (and not muted, cloudy, or otherwise less crisp?)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It mutes it slightly to be honest, but since my iPad is 80% used for Clip Studio Paint maybe I just subliminally don’t care as much. I guess you have to figure what’s more important to you: razor sharp video or not feeling like you are skating plastic on ice while you draw. I personally can live with a very very slight occasional color aberration but I will not go back to naked Pencil on Screen drawing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah I have some soul searching to do because I would appreciate *better* tactile feeling but actually have no beef with the naked slide.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Paperlike isn’t anything special. It’s just a standard matte screen protector marketed with a gimmick.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
How about matte glass ones?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Are there any cool deals happening tomorrow for the Apple Pencil 2?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I don't know anything about iOS, but I'm trying to get my mom set up with an Amazon Smart Plug. Whenever I try to install the Alexa app on her iPad, it just says "Amazon Alexa is not compatible with this iPad" with no further explanation. The App Store says the Alexa app requires iOS 11 or higher. I don't know which version of iOS my mom has (and I don't have the iPad here to check ATM) but Google says iOS 11 was released in September 2017, and she got hers brand new in December 2017. If you have to initiate updates manually, it's entirely possible she's never done it. Any ideas are appreciated.

Edit: Ugh, just had her check and it's iOS 9.3.5 and Software Update says it's up to date, so I guess I'm SOL.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 17, 2019

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Have her check the model number. Settings > General > About. It should look something like MT9F2ZD/A or A2097.

I’m finding it extremely hard to believe that any iPad sold in 2017 supports only iOS 9.

E: quick look at Wikipedia suggests all iPads released after 2013 supports iOS 11.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 17, 2019

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Lester Shy posted:

I don't know anything about iOS, but I'm trying to get my mom set up with an Amazon Smart Plug. Whenever I try to install the Alexa app on her iPad, it just says "Amazon Alexa is not compatible with this iPad" with no further explanation. The App Store says the Alexa app requires iOS 11 or higher. I don't know which version of iOS my mom has (and I don't have the iPad here to check ATM) but Google says iOS 11 was released in September 2017, and she got hers brand new in December 2017. If you have to initiate updates manually, it's entirely possible she's never done it. Any ideas are appreciated.

Edit: Ugh, just had her check and it's iOS 9.3.5 and Software Update says it's up to date, so I guess I'm SOL.

Sounds like it's either an original Mini, or an iPad 2 or 3. If she got it new in 2017, it was sitting in someone's stock for 4 - 5 years before she bought it. Check the model number on the back (A1-something) and see what it is.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Or just like...describe how it looks. If it has fat bezels on all sides or the old iPod dock connector (instead of Lightning) it's pretty dang old. If the screen kinda looks like poo poo (low res) compared to new screens, it's really drat old.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I mean, his mom's not getting the Alexa app on her iPad in any case.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

japtor posted:

Or just like...describe how it looks. If it has fat bezels on all sides or the old iPod dock connector (instead of Lightning) it's pretty dang old. If the screen kinda looks like poo poo (low res) compared to new screens, it's really drat old.

Hmm, I know it has the big 30 pin charging cable, rather than the small one that comes up when you google "lightning cable." I was under the impression she got it new as a gift in 2017, but it must have been refurbished or a hand-me-down. Whoops.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

Hmm, I know it has the big 30 pin charging cable, rather than the small one that comes up when you google "lightning cable." I was under the impression she got it new as a gift in 2017, but it must have been refurbished or a hand-me-down. Whoops.

It has to be 3rd gen iPad. Even the oldest iPad Air can get iOS 12.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That's an ooooold iPad. If she plans on using it for anything other than a doorstop, she'll need to upgrade. I don't know your situation (or your mom's) but you can get the current gen iPad for under $300 on Apple's refurb store.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

If it's worth anything, I got my grandma the current iPad Pro 12.9 and now she's able to abandon her laptop - easier life for her. And it's foolish to say so, but the device is essentially "future proof" when it comes to if she'll be able to use it in 5 years.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

That’s the iPad that was both released and killed in 2012, something about the hardware being too underpowered for the new screen resolution?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

That’s the iPad that was both released and killed in 2012, something about the hardware being too underpowered for the new screen resolution?

It was the first iPad with retina but the GPU was a slightly faster version of the previous model and it struggled to effectively power 2x the pixels.

It was discontinued 7 months later.