Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
Title acquired.

I love the dancer's default pants too much to ever change them, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

i showed you my iai pls respond

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is how much more active NPCs are this expansion. I've noticed a number of the nameless flavor NPCs with their own routines and interactions beyond just standing in place talking.

ChaosSora
Feb 20, 2013

Bandwagon time

This has been my favorite expansion so far and I'm hopeful the patch content is just as good.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ChaosSora posted:

Bandwagon time

This has been my favorite expansion so far and I'm hopeful the patch content is just as good.
Given that the patch content has been the strongest part of ARR, HW, and SB, I'm hopeful

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I just hope in the patch quests (ShB MSQ Spoilers) the first thing we do is when Zenos rocks up to do the whole "OUR FIGHT WILL BE LEGENDARY" bullshit, we just crush him because we went and powered up in the first shard, where he just got his body back, so he has to gently caress off to lick his wounds while we go deal with something else. It'd be a novel change.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
One of my favorite things in this expansion is the trust system. I loved how you worked with your scion buddies so much in each zone and when it came time to storm the castle you didn't have to leave everyone behind. The system itself could use some fine-tuning (pls aoe pls) but it felt really good to take on these tough encounters with the people you had been going through so much with. Also really nice to walk in blind and figure stuff out on your own time, stop to admire some of the spectacular views in these dungeons, guilt free bathroom breaks, etc.

Running with other people is fun as well, but I'm really glad I used trusts to do the msq. It's a really cool concept and I hope they expand on it.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

TheHeadSage posted:

I just hope in the patch quests (ShB MSQ Spoilers) the first thing we do is when Zenos rocks up to do the whole "OUR FIGHT WILL BE LEGENDARY" bullshit, we just crush him because we went and powered up in the first shard, where he just got his body back, so he has to gently caress off to lick his wounds while we go deal with something else. It'd be a novel change.

Yeah it would be cool to do a reverse of SB where we just clown him the first time and he gets the wtf just happened moment.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Sunday Morning posted:

One of my favorite things in this expansion is the trust system. I loved how you worked with your scion buddies so much in each zone and when it came time to storm the castle you didn't have to leave everyone behind. The system itself could use some fine-tuning (pls aoe pls) but it felt really good to take on these tough encounters with the people you had been going through so much with. Also really nice to walk in blind and figure stuff out on your own time, stop to admire some of the spectacular views in these dungeons, guilt free bathroom breaks, etc.

Running with other people is fun as well, but I'm really glad I used trusts to do the msq. It's a really cool concept and I hope they expand on it.

I just like the small interactions between NPCs. If you run Minfilia and Thancred together, he'll occasionally call out to her to toss him some more cartridges for his gunblade. Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if he just says that at random or if he's set to say that right before using a Continuation combo.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Also jumping on the spoiler bandwagon with some elfpostin'

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
:bandwagon: Elf postin' all day.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
So I bought the base game just to see if I'd like playing, and I think it's safe to say that I'm hooked. I've got my character to around level 42, and I'm starting to contemplate getting the expansions. Should I just go ahead and buy Shadowbringers now, or is it better to hold off and see how I like where the game goes once I hit level 50? Will I be able to level up past 50, or are the expansions required for that?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BisterdDave posted:

So I bought the base game just to see if I'd like playing, and I think it's safe to say that I'm hooked. I've got my character to around level 42, and I'm starting to contemplate getting the expansions. Should I just go ahead and buy Shadowbringers now, or is it better to hold off and see how I like where the game goes once I hit level 50? Will I be able to level up past 50, or are the expansions required for that?

You'll be locked at level 50. If you're enjoying it, you should buy it!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BisterdDave posted:

Buy it now. It's worth it. You're paying $20 an expansion.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also I don't care what anyone says, I hate Chai-Nuzz way less than Cid.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Does that mean you still hate Chai Nuzz? I think he's ok.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Ibblebibble posted:

5.0 MCH is a loving optimisation nightmare.

I was a real whiny poo poo about new MCH before release but turns out it still owns because now it's this button mashy mess that doesn't have super obvious priorities without mathing things out a bit.

Still I've switched to Summoner as my main dps.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Does that mean you still hate Chai Nuzz? I think he's ok.
I like him more now than I did two cutscenes ago.

Also the level 78 Black Mage chest piece is incredible.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

FactsAreUseless posted:

I like him more now than I did two cutscenes ago.

All the Dwarf Cotton stuff whips

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Krabboss posted:

All the Dwarf Cotton stuff whips

It's important to note that visor toggle turns the lighting of the eyes on and off. I've had no end of fun going up to people and flashing the eyes on and off.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

BisterdDave posted:

The trick is, if you buy Shadowbringers, you actually buy all the expansions together. The policy is that, once the new expac comes out, all sales of the previous expac cease - IIRC, Square even tries to put a little effort into recalling copies from the wild so people aren't buyin' old poo poo - and the current expac immediately gets all other expac licenses rolled into it. So if you pick up ShB, you'll have a shitload of content available quickly, including several new jobs right from the moment you hit 50 without having to enter Ishgard! So if you're enjoying the game so far, it's probably worth it just to dive in.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Just wait 'till you get the goddamn hat.

I was disappointed that the Aiming one turns me into a Gogg, though. :(

---

Anyway, so I heard we were doing some bandwagon posting.

I kind of agree with what others have said - I've been somewhat notorious for flip-flopping between potato and several other appearances over the years, but at this point, after this story, I can't imagine continuing as anything other than a dwarflalafell. I've actually used this appearance a lot over the years and did go through most of HW and all of the Stormblood MSQ as this particular character, and now it's just set in cement. This is my Warrior of Light and Also Darkness. I might finally level up an alt character, but my dwarfafell is my character at this point. It's stunning how attached they make you feel to your own avatar in this expac.

Meanwhile, did someone say dancer glams? Modeled on a vegetable with legs?!?!
(And with me getting better at centering & filling the frame with each shot? :v:)

I have been going absolutely bonkers with glams, even leading up to ShB in preparation, and I have a ton now. This one I've had lying around for Bard forever but drat it works well on DNC.

This has been a favorite pants + shoes combo of mine for ages, and I'm glad I found a top that felt light but not excessive to go with it. That is, by the way, two different dyes for the chest and arm parts - I'm glad wine red for the arm matches what happens to the leather portions of the chestpiece on dalamud red.

I was real happy to see this set become available to aiming in ShB - it was added a while back (at the end of HW, even) and I identified it as looking like a promising, non-excessive dancer glam pre-ShB, but it didn't exist in Aiming in any form. So not just seeing it added but getting it for free was an incredibly good deal and I was thrilled.

This is one I don't see used very often - it's largely just straight up the Unicorn set from PvP. I'd had the shoes for a long while, but while I was initially skeptical, I was surprised at how good the whole thing looked once I dyed the coat rolanberry. It makes for a pretty good "it's war time" outfit.

And thanks to another crafted ShB chestpiece, we have what I call my "80s pop star" glam. I kind of wish I could make the chestpiece a slightly brighter purple, but it's probably for the best otherwise. :v: God bless the shoulderpad and all the gold trim, though. (Now if only the beach sandals could actually be dyed...)

I actually have even more than this, but that's probably enough potato posting for now :v:

In short, ShB good, glams good, Dancer good, game good.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah I'm also in the club of now being far too attached to my current WoL after ShB to ever consider fantasiaing

That's just who that character is now to me

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
You need expansions to level past 50. I don't know if the Heavensward for free campaign is still going, but otherwise, everything is included of you buy Shadowbringers.

E: Okay, I should reload the page before posting.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah I'm also in the club of now being far too attached to my current WoL after ShB to ever consider fantasiaing

That's just who that character is now to me

I fantasia'd at the begging of ShB and was surprised how quickly I fell into my new look as a burly catman. I'm not sure I could go back to my OG femroe (though her appearance is saved in case I ever want to)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cash shop Talos costume when

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Blattdorf posted:

The whole Phoenix thing is just glossed over which is a bit surprising. The budding romance was a neat replacement, though.
SMN job quest spoil's
They kind of gloss over new abilities a lot of the time to future proof, since they do go back and edit jobs.

Also, spoiler bandwagon image? Spoiler bandwagon image.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

SpaceDrake posted:

The trick is, if you buy Shadowbringers, you actually buy all the expansions together. The policy is that, once the new expac comes out, all sales of the previous expac cease - IIRC, Square even tries to put a little effort into recalling copies from the wild so people aren't buyin' old poo poo - and the current expac immediately gets all other expac licenses rolled into it. So if you pick up ShB, you'll have a shitload of content available quickly, including several new jobs right from the moment you hit 50 without having to enter Ishgard! So if you're enjoying the game so far, it's probably worth it just to dive in.

Awesome, thanks for the info! Glad I checked here before buying a used copy off ebay, it's kinda confusing to newcomers as to where (and how) to start. I'll definitely be grabbing Shadowbringers soon then. Now just to decide if the $60 version is worth it for the mount/minion.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BisterdDave posted:

Awesome, thanks for the info! Glad I checked here before buying a used copy off ebay, it's kinda confusing to newcomers as to where (and how) to start. I'll definitely be grabbing Shadowbringers soon then. Now just to decide if the $60 version is worth it for the mount/minion.

The collectors edition can be purchased at a later point if you want them. The mount is cool looking, but it may not be worth 20$ for you.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Bremma posted:

I fantasia'd at the begging of ShB and was surprised how quickly I fell into my new look as a burly catman. I'm not sure I could go back to my OG femroe (though her appearance is saved in case I ever want to)

I was tempted to the do the same but ultimately stayed as Femroe because I like their look more. They used to feel really uncommon too but I've been seeing more around lately.

Meicyn
Aug 22, 2006

MechaX posted:

I'd bandwagon as well, but I have no idea how much of a hassle it is on the PS4 because I never use the screencap or share poo poo ever
Make a Twitter account, then share through that, it's really easy. I have literally nothing but Shadowbringers screenshots on mine.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I'm already thinking about the next expansion.

If the care about equivalence, which they said they have, the next two jobs should be a caster and a healer.

I wonder what they'll be?

Geomancer is a good bet. Based on the Shallow's Compass, I think they'll use bells.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Meicyn posted:

Make a Twitter account, then share through that, it's really easy. I have literally nothing but Shadowbringers screenshots on mine.

:yeah:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Nodosaur posted:

but why were the pixies turning into beavers

and for that matter how do we know how to speak beaver???

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The echo allows us to understand anything with a soul
Interestingly, the dialogue calls out that the WoL's beaver-speak is rusty, suggesting this is a language they already knew. This is probably a nod on Koji's part to FFII, where one of the three main characters specifically had the ability to speak to and understand beavers.
:goonsay:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Still plugging on through ARR and just beat Titan. Cool music and fight, coulda done without the extensive dicking about gathering gourmet junk though. Plot looks like it might be picking up a bit here. You get the expansion classes flat out when you hit 50, yeah?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There have been many times where I have wanted to give someone a hug who direly needs one.

Tataru, Alisaie, NuMinfilla, etc

Emet-Selch...

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Krile's gift with the echo allows her to understand animals which is a nod to FFV where she had the same ability. The protagonist's gift with the echo allows them to understand any person it seems, which is mentioned particularly in the Warring Triad quests. Sophia's thralls speak in a dialect of Meracydian from a long time ago and only you understood it properly. Our gift with the echo also lets us look into the memories of others, but Fordola also did that with the Resonant gift they made from Krile's echo, so it doesn't seem to be a unique or necessarily rare manifestation.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Caidin posted:

Still plugging on through ARR and just beat Titan. Cool music and fight, coulda done without the extensive dicking about gathering gourmet junk though. Plot looks like it might be picking up a bit here. You get the expansion classes flat out when you hit 50, yeah?

once you get to ishgard, you're able to pick them up. So, after the ARR 2.X stuff.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

Caidin posted:

SB classes can be picked up at 50 in Uldah, gotta get to Ishgard for HW classes though.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Chakan posted:

once you get to ishgard, you're able to pick them up. So, after the ARR 2.X stuff.

To clarify, you can pick up MCH, DRK, & AST once you get to Ishgard. They start at lvl 30. Assuming you have all expacs, you can get SAM & RDM in Ul'Dah once you hit 50 (and they start at that lvl). You can get DNC in Limsa & GNB in Gridania once you hit 60 (which is the lvl they start at).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Krabboss posted:

I was a real whiny poo poo about new MCH before release but turns out it still owns because now it's this button mashy mess that doesn't have super obvious priorities without mathing things out a bit.

Still I've switched to Summoner as my main dps.

Coming from someone who missed stormblood entirely and is only familiar with how MCH was during Heavensward, I'm having way more fun with MCH now than I ever have. You're not having to try and juggle reloading into your cooldown set to even be able to properly 1-2-3 and I absolutely do not miss the old '50% to do the next step in the combo' mechanic when you're out of reloads. Your dps priority is no longer solely on nailing that perfect wildfire and you have a pretty varied kit of things to break out. Hell, the way RDM and DNC did their "50% of the time your combo does something different" mechanics feels way, way better in practice because even if it it fails you've still got something else you can hit to continue on with your combo. The old MCH support stuff like mp refresh always felt awkwardly crowbarred into the class just because BRD had it and square wanted some level of parity. Breaking that away from MCH and allowing them to be the :airquote: selfish :airquote: dps class allows them to do more interesting things with the DPS rotation and give them better damage tools. Granted it's still super early in the xpac and there's another balance pass incoming in the near future, but right now it looks like MCH is pushing 'not quite BLM/SAM' dps numbers, on par with MNK or thereabouts, which seems like a good spot for it considering it's ranged, incredibly mobile, and not positional dependent but with not a lot of group support.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 9, 2019