Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yakuza 6 has no entry in the wiki, let's remedy that.

For my money I'm gonna say:
- While you're in Kamurocho initially, buy some protein from RIZAP, a sushi set and a pork (tonkatsu) bento. You'll meet side characters who want those in Onomichi, and there's no way to get them there. And while you're at it, stock up on cat food of all varieties.
- Finish the Clan Creator missions in Onomichi and talk to the owner of La Pente twice to unlock a useful merchant.

- The spear fishing minigame is a pile of fish at the end of the dock in Onomichi and is a decent source of cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad News Panda
Aug 17, 2010

:gaysper:
Kirby says trans rights!

Any tips for Dragon Quest VIII? I've read the wiki and I'm figuring on using some kind of guide for skill points because the skills you can learn don't seem to have descriptions ahead of time. Anything else?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Iirc the trick is to leave at least one carrot, and position your horse so that you’re blocking the opponents and they can’t pass. If you spend the last carrot, you slow down dramatically and they take a long time to come back, and it’s much harder to win. But if you leave one carrot, they recharge at a quick pace, so you just wanna spank your horse down to one, wait until they all come back, and repeat, for max speed.
Also stay on the inside of the track, closer to the fence than him. Then, he'll try to pass you on the right, and have a greater distance to travel than you. This is actually super important, and can be moreso than trying to block him if you aren't exceptionally good at it. If he passed you on the right in the back half of the second race, you're probably sunk.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm gonna do Outer Wilds.

Okay so the first tip is the most important one:

1. Go in blind. Don't read any reviews, certainly don't read the thread here and don't read the rest of this post.

That said, there are one or two QoL tips that only count as minor beginning-of-the-game spoilers (it's ok to mouse over the black bars here once you understand the games main gimmick), so here goes:

2. When you find an NPC called Gabbro, exhaust all his dialogue. All of it. Then, on the next cycle, beeline straight for him and exhaust it again. There will be an extra dialogue branch that grants you an ability which in my opinion should've been given to you from the start.

3. Eating a roasted marshmallow restores a bit of health.

4. Using your translator to decipher text freezes time, so don't panic, take your time and take in everything you read.

5. Tip 4 doesn't apply once the music indicating the end of a cycle starts, so in that circumstance, just grab all the text as quick as you can and read it in your ships log afterwards.

6. If you're having trouble in an area and aren't sure what you need to do, go explore somewhere else for a while. Everything is interconnected and sometimes solutions come from piecing together more of the big picture.

7. Don't miss out on this game. It truly is a gem.

Lastly, and this tip will expire shortly, the devs are releasing a patch soon that addresses one of the complaints people have been having about the endgame. If you're thinking of jumping in, you might improve your experience by holding off starting the game until that patch comes out. That said, if you're at all interested, just loving play it; it's great anyway even with that issue.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 7, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SiKboy posted:

- The spear fishing minigame is a pile of fish at the end of the dock in Onomichi and is a decent source of cash.
Valuable advice! And that kinda ties in with the merchant you can unlock, too.

So:
- When you're in Kamurocho initially, buy some protein from RIZAP, a sushi set and a pork (tonkatsu) bento. You'll meet side characters who want those in Onomichi, and there's no way to get them there.
- Stock up on cat food of all the regular varieties as well. The cat cafe and Don Quijote sell them all. Gold Tuna is a cheat item, which should be obvious from the price, and you'll be fine without it.
- Finish all the Clan Creator missions in Onomichi and talk to the owner of La Pente twice to unlock a useful merchant.
- The spear fishing minigame is a pile of fish at the end of the dock in Onomichi and is a decent source of cash. If you want to make it really easy, unlock that useful merchant before you get into it.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

graventy posted:

Any tips for My Time at Portia?

You can always use another furnace/crafting station.

You can turn 1 hardwood into 5 wood at the workbench, which increases the fuel value considerably.

Crystal is needed in large amounts by the end game, but if you plant a crystella tree or two early on you'll have plenty.

Commissions, especially the big ones on Friday, are the major source of money.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 7, 2019

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

For Portia, am I going to miss out on anything important if I give bad gifts during festivals?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Vadun posted:

For Portia, am I going to miss out on anything important if I give bad gifts during festivals?

No.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
More for Bloodstained.

General Tips

• Your first 8-bit Weapon should be something that looks fun or interesting to you. You can always buy more coins, so nothing is missable. Redbeast's Edge, God Cross, and Encrypted Orchid are considered to be the "best" of the bunch.

• Mastering a Weapon Skill will allow you to use it with any of that weapon's type. For example, mastering Kukri's Assassinate will allow you to backstab with any dagger.

• Pick whatever familiar that you happen to like as they aren't very game breaking and are more like extra utility. Leveling them also unlocks some hidden potential. The Silver Knight can block projectiles, the fairy can heal with items (and also sing at the piano), you can equip the sword, the book will buff your strength, etc.

• You can borrow more books based on your current playtime and more book types unlock as you explore the map.

Crafting

• Getting rank 9 on your yellow shards will grant you the passive ability of that shard. Stat shards give a portion of their benefit.

• Some recipes will only unlock if you purchase a particular product from the store. For example you need to buy at least one Circlet in order to craft its upgrades.

• Always use your ingredients to make sauces, crusts, and other base ingredients first since this will unlock them in the shop.

• Mana regen is extremely important. Female monsters typically drop fruit, which is used in creating the bulk of the mana regen food.

Exploration

• Craftwork Shard (the grabby hand) can also grab iron maiden traps.

• A few ingredients are only found in blue chests. Black Pepper is at the Underground Sorcery Lab and Miso & Soy Sauce at the Oriental Alchemy Lab.

• One of the easiest-to-miss helmets is found under the boss that absorbs your money. If you're curious, it's the Valkyrie Helmet.

• One particular strong enemy will only appear if you sit in a certain location long enough. Sit in the train car.

• There are two places most players get stuck at. If you can get the bad ending and are still stuck, use inverse at The Towers of the Twin Dragons. From the ground floor of the second tower, you will find the chest in the top left after you flip the map. If you're stuck after avoiding the bad ending, go to the Garden of Silence and slice the red moon found in one of the hallways.

A cool and good game

edit: removed my bad example, whoops

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 8, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bad News Panda posted:

Any tips for Dragon Quest VIII? I've read the wiki and I'm figuring on using some kind of guide for skill points because the skills you can learn don't seem to have descriptions ahead of time. Anything else?

Are you playing the DS version? If not you should probably switch to playing the DS version because its significantly better.

Absolutely use a leveling guide because point allocations are forever and not remotely equivalent to each other.

Also consider looking up what makes what in the alchemy pot.

There is a bossfight with the evil jester shortly after visiting an abbey area. You can beat him if Jessica hasnt learned the group healing spell, but you probably wont. If youre having a rough time with him, grind out the levels for Jessica to get that spell because it takes the fight to seat of your pants luck based slog to almost a victory lap.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Mayor McCheese posted:

More for Bloodstained.

[list]
General Tips

[*]Mastering a Weapon Skill will allow you to use it with any of that weapon's type. For example, mastering Bandit Knife's Steal skill will allow you to use Steal with any dagger.

Don't you mean Bandit Blade, which is a sword and also its technique is one of two that can't be mastered?

There is a dagger technique that looks similar in practice, but as far as I know it doesn't steal.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Any advice for Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate? I've gotten to the middle of high rank in 4U and completed World.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Don't you mean Bandit Blade, which is a sword and also its technique is one of two that can't be mastered?

There is a dagger technique that looks similar in practice, but as far as I know it doesn't steal.

You're right, I swore that the Bandit Blade could steal (also i recalled the wrong name). I edited the example.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Any tips for Planet Coaster? I think I’ve got the basics down but I’m having trouble breaking a 2k profit.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:

Mayor McCheese posted:

You're right, I swore that the Bandit Blade could steal (also i recalled the wrong name). I edited the example.

The Bandit Blade does steal, but that technique is unique to it - you can’t master it and use it with other swords.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anything for Katana 0? Other than 'use sword on man' and 'dodgeroll has iframes'.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Anything for Katana 0? Other than 'use sword on man' and 'dodgeroll has iframes'.

not really, it's a straightforward game. There's some branching story stuff but I believe you can replay levels to see different outcomes, and either way the game can be replayed in a couple of hours

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:

The Lone Badger posted:

You can sneak. The game kind of glosses over that and it’s never strictly necessary, but there are a couple instances where stealth is the preferred option.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mayor McCheese posted:

More for Bloodstained.

[*]One particular strong enemy will only appear if you sit in a certain location long enough. Sit in the train car.

Note that this fucker is endgame level and you do need his soul for 100% shard completion. I would hereby like to congratulate IGA on finally coming up with something more annoying to grind than the goddamn Sky Fish.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 9, 2019

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Anything I should know for Dragon Quest 3? Specifically the mobile port.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

anilEhilated posted:

Note that this fucker is endgame level and you do need his soul for 100% shard completion. I would hereby like to congratulate IGA on finally coming up with something more annoying to grind than the goddamn Sky Fish.

He's not hard to kill just don't look at him and get above him. He can't attack at an angle.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Outward. There is a map button, right on the d-pad. No, the game doesn’t tell you about it. You don’t get a map marker shoeing your location, but you get at least some idea of the terrain.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Lucinice posted:

Anything I should know for Dragon Quest 3? Specifically the mobile port.

DQ3's pretty straightforward and the mobile port's not only the best with the most content but also the easiest. If you're new to DQ3 I would definitely advise NOT bringing a Merchant/Dealer or Goof-Off/Joker in your initial party. The default Hero + Warrior/Soldier + Pilgrim/Cleric + Mage/Wizard party recommended in the first town works and is hard to go wrong with.

There will eventually be a point where you NEED a Merchant party member; it's fine if you make a brand new level 1 schlub and have him do that part while one of your real party members sits on the bench. In the NES version you would be sacrificing this Merchant forever; in the mobile versions you can get him back later.

Ninja edit: If you really care about min-maxing and doing both post-game superdungeons, make all your party (hero included) female because females get better personalities and personalities impact stat growth. "Sexy" is almost always the best personality. Look up how the personalities work if you really wanna squeeze every statpoint from your dudes but it's only going to matter in the post-game superdungeons as the regular game's quite beatable without extensive min/maxing on that level.

chairface fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 10, 2019

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Any advice for Dragon Fantasy: The Black Tome of Ice? I picked it up on a whim the other day.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Notes for Dragon Age Inquisition:

Having a barrier active will make you not take any fall damage.

Using Dispel or the Templar equivalent on spots where demons are about to appear from fade rifts will make those demons not appear.

Waiting until you have every shard to go to the temple in the Forbidden Oasis is dumb. That temple has progressive rewards the more shards you bring there, and it's definitely worth going there ASAP to see what the deal is.

Most war table operations have up to three options that are just different ways of doing the same thing. Some, however, do have "correct" approaches, so don't fall into the trap of just selecting whoever to get it done. It's worth it to read the text of the operation and the proposals of your advisors.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Chief Savage Man posted:

Waiting until you have every shard to go to the temple in the Forbidden Oasis is dumb. That temple has progressive rewards the more shards you bring there, and it's definitely worth going there ASAP to see what the deal is.

I have reservations on this point. First, I think you need a certain number of shards to get anything, but I could be misremembering as it's a long time since I went there. And that is because second, Forbidden Oasis is hard to get around, disappointingly deserty when you've been to the Western Approach, and has disappointing rewards. It's not worth going there at all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You get a minor buff to resistances depending on how many shards you’ve collected but IMHO it’s a one and done kind of zone if you can help it because it’s annoying to get around.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

You get a minor buff to resistances depending on how many shards you’ve collected but IMHO it’s a one and done kind of zone if you can help it because it’s annoying to get around.

No matter how many times I went back there I still had trouble finding my way around.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Any tips for Darkwood? I'm past the prologue and have no idea what I'm doing other than wandering around collecting junk that's hopefully useful later.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I am going to play Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past for the first time. Anything I should know to save time/not be an idiot?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shadow225 posted:

I am going to play Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past for the first time. Anything I should know to save time/not be an idiot?

Off the top of my head, you should stick to the order of dungeons the game presents you if it's your first time. One exception being the second set of dungeons because I'd recommend doing 6 before 5.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
Hey is the page for Battletech still relatively up to date after all the patches and dlc over the past year?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Shadow225 posted:

Head for the first major dungeon as soon as you can (I assume you're playing somewhat blind, so just follow the guidance the game gives you). You'll get a movement "upgrade" on the way that is a game-changer. You can then tackle the dungeon or just explore or whatever.

Edit I'm wrong, you have to clear the dungeon first before you get the movement upgrade

Wrex Ruckus fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 16, 2019

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Shadow225 posted:

You can catch faries with the bug net and store them in empty bottles. If you run out of health they'll fly out automatically and refill 6 hearts (or you can use them manually if you want).

Pneub fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 16, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Shadow225 posted:

Nah, it's pretty idiotproof

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Shadow225 posted:

Throw your shield and boomerang into the water when you get the chance.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Contingency Plan posted:

Any tips for Darkwood? I'm past the prologue and have no idea what I'm doing other than wandering around collecting junk that's hopefully useful later.
Melee combat is going to be immensely frustrating. You can walk backwards and sideways to dodge dogs long enough to smack them but the timing is tricky. It only gets harder from there. Use traps.
There's a useful secondary melee attack bound by default to mouse3 that's faster (doesn't require charging up) but uses more stamina.
Make and keep a lantern equipped during the day in new areas, shiny rocks will glint and sell for $$$. Lanterns last 1-2 days if you manage equipping it only when in new areas.
Don't cook on the stove until the second or third house, if ever - the benefits are not necessarily worth the downsides. Focus on affording better workbench, inv and belt space instead of gathering things to cook.
You don't have to run the generator in the first safehouse if you don't use the stove so just sit quietly in the dark rearranging your workbench inventory
If you survive the night you get free reputation with the trader (+100 at the first safehouse, +150 2nd, +200 3rd, etc.). If you die you don't get it for that night. This isn't a massive deal so don't sweat dying.
When you die you drop half your inventory but things on your belt are safe.
Make and sell torches for money, don't let that vendor go away with empty inv spots
You can hoard nails and boards but you can go overboard on this, once you lose places to put it maybe stop buying them.
Make a pistol asap and buy magazines, they aren't that expensive since you get 6 shots for 40ish, and if you are bad at melee this is a must. The pistol is the most cost efficient weapon by far.
You only need one pistol (and other weapons) and it never gets damaged so sell parts you don't need.
Answer the knock at night.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 16, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Remind me - how do I add a new game to the wiki?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I have a few extra for Red Dead Redemption 2:

-If you want to get serious about hunting for perfect pelts, get the legendary buck talisman first, it gives you higher quality pelts from hunting.
-Don't worry too much about the side activities until chapter 3, that's when you are done up with most of the introductory 'here's how you do this activity'-type missions.
-It's probably best to prioritise the missions with white icons. It is possible for the yellow icon missions to progress the storyline beyond a point where you can do the white icon missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Xander77 posted:

Remind me - how do I add a new game to the wiki?

Just follow the instructions here