Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It finally happened to me: my freshly minted 5 year old flushed a watermelon rind (wtf?!) down the toilet, causing a clogged toilet.

2 hours and a trip to Walmart later and everything is fine and fixed.

I specifically said to throw out the rind. I’m not sure how his logic figured the toilet was okay but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueCat
Nov 3, 2005
I Demand Satisfaction!
I'm after some advice here.

Our 11 month old had a succession of hand, foot & mouth, a gastro bug, and then a cold over the last month (Thanks daycare!). This seems to have aligned with separation anxiety starting up, and while she is now going down at night in her cot ok, when she wakes, she will *not* go back down in the cot. As soon as she's with me or her dad she'll sleep - as in fall straight to sleep in our arms. As soon as we go to put her down, instant screaming that doesn't stop.

We've tried everything from leaving her for a bit of time, pick up, put down, standing with her, taking her out and re-settling her, and the only thing that has helped is coming into our bed and co-sleeping. She will go straight to sleep and sleep well as soon as she is with one of us.

She is finally getting over the cold, only remaining part is a wee cough first thing in the morning, so we'd like to try and stop this habit before it gets too far along. We chose not to do anything while she was ill, and we also appreciated actually getting sleep with her in our bed, as opposed to everyone up for hours trying to get her back down in her cot.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The worst thing about summer break is having a soon to be 15 year old (in about three weeks) who is already 5'10" and still growing. Because god. drat. does he eat. His private school only has about 25 students, so they provide free lunch and breakfast to all the students. They're also on an all year schedule. So he really only gets about four weeks of summer break, split between May, and now two starting today.

My kitchen is already a wasteland.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Anyone have tips on how to deal with irrational fears? Our 3.5yo daughter has been in a phase for the past 2 months where random things scare her (like her teddy bear, or a piece of decor on the wall), and she uses these things as an excuse to not do things by herself - usually wanting us to walk with her to and sit with her in the bathroom, for example. We've been acknowledging her fears and trying to encourage her to do things herself even if something scary is on the way or nearby, but we don't want to somehow create a complex.

We had initially started removing things that scared her, but she just finds something new that scares her. As an example, in the bathroom, we had a picture of a fish that scared her, so we took it down. Now, the clock on the bathroom wall scares her. Maybe she's using "fear" as a word to trick us into being with her since she knows it works?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Maybe she's using "fear" as a word to trick us into being with her since she knows it works?

It's totally this.

Maybe the first couple times it was a real fear, but once she figured out that "being afraid" means "mom or dad will hang out with me" it totally became a manipulation tool.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

life is killing me posted:

Pretty common for infants to only stay awake an hour or two after waking up in the morning.

Same. Ours (still 7mo) will sometimes even wake up (at 6 AM), get changed & fed, then go right back to sleep for an hour and a half. That's a total of like 30 minutes awake. Most days, though, she stays up between 6 and 8, then naps.

Anyone have tips on how to deal with irrational fears? Our 3.5yo daughter has been in a phase for the past 2 months where random things scare her (like her teddy bear, or a piece of decor on the wall), and she uses these things as an excuse to not do things by herself - usually wanting us to walk with her to and sit with her in the bathroom, for example. We've been acknowledging her fears and trying to encourage her to do things herself even if something scary is on the way or nearby, but we don't want to somehow create a complex.

FWIW, I don't find it weird for a 3-year old to still want company on the toilet. My niece was still getting her mom or grandma to read her a book whenever she was on the potty at 4.

Is it just the toilet or is she doing it in other other specific situations as well? Could it be just a phase of being uncomfortable with the whole evacuation thing, manifesting as this behavior? Has she been having any "accidents" lately?

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 1, 2019

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

FWIW, I don't find it weird for a 3-year old to still want company on the toilet. My niece was still getting her mom or grandma to read her a book whenever she was on the potty at 4.

Is it just the toilet or is she doing it in other other specific situations as well? Could it be just a phase of being uncomfortable with the whole evacuation thing, manifesting as this behavior? Has she been having any "accidents" lately?

I'd say it's 80% toilet and 20% random other places (e.g. she won't go get clothes from her bedroom by herself, or get a toy from another room). She's been potty-trained since she was 2 (mostly accident-free at 2.5) and still goes to the bathroom by herself at daycare without issue. She used to go to the bathroom by herself at home, too (even in the middle of the night). But 2 months ago this "being afraid" thing started. Which leads me to think it's manipulation and not genuine fear, but we certainly don't want to ignore genuine fears if they're actually there. But if they are genuine fears, there's no consistent pattern to them that we can latch onto and help her get over (e.g. afraid of her teddy bear one day, and afraid of the clock on the wall the next).

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 2, 2019

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

lol my kid keeps going "I have to go potty...you stay here! I'm going to do it myself!"

and then he yells at you to stop and stay there if you try to follow him

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The worst thing about summer break is having a soon to be 15 year old (in about three weeks) who is already 5'10" and still growing. Because god. drat. does he eat. His private school only has about 25 students, so they provide free lunch and breakfast to all the students. They're also on an all year schedule. So he really only gets about four weeks of summer break, split between May, and now two starting today.

My kitchen is already a wasteland.

My 12 year old daughter thankfully doesn't go too crazy, but we've had to stock up a lot more on the things she loves. If she has friends over, though, our poor kitchen gets hit hard. Tweens/teens can go through a surprising amount of food before you know it.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
Our daughter (4 yo) has been doing the same thing on and off where she's "scared" of random things. Sometimes she's really scared of something but usually it's about wanting company. TBH we just take it as a signal she needs more mom time, and go with her to the bathroom or whatever it is. It usually goes away after a few days of extra attention.

When she seems to be really scared of something we try to challenge her a bit more. For example, last week she was suddenly terrified of volcanoes for some reason. Cried at bedtime and wished the earth wasn't made of hot rocks. We got a book about volcanoes at the library and read it together (we did censor the part about Pompeii a little...), talked about why it felt scary and what to do when you feel scared. It helped a lot, now she thinks volcanoes are pretty cool.

zingiber
Apr 14, 2019

BlueCat posted:

I'm after some advice here.

Our 11 month old had a succession of hand, foot & mouth, a gastro bug, and then a cold over the last month (Thanks daycare!). This seems to have aligned with separation anxiety starting up, and while she is now going down at night in her cot ok, when she wakes, she will *not* go back down in the cot. As soon as she's with me or her dad she'll sleep - as in fall straight to sleep in our arms. As soon as we go to put her down, instant screaming that doesn't stop.

We've tried everything from leaving her for a bit of time, pick up, put down, standing with her, taking her out and re-settling her, and the only thing that has helped is coming into our bed and co-sleeping. She will go straight to sleep and sleep well as soon as she is with one of us.

She is finally getting over the cold, only remaining part is a wee cough first thing in the morning, so we'd like to try and stop this habit before it gets too far along. We chose not to do anything while she was ill, and we also appreciated actually getting sleep with her in our bed, as opposed to everyone up for hours trying to get her back down in her cot.

Don't know if it's in your budget, but Taking Cara Babies ABCs of Sleep program has loads of tips to do with this. The first couple nights are allegedly pretty rough but people I know who did it say that it does help the kid stay in their own sleep spot ultimately.

We did the Taking Cara Babies first five months strategies and they were great.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

UnkleBoB posted:

My 12 year old daughter thankfully doesn't go too crazy, but we've had to stock up a lot more on the things she loves. If she has friends over, though, our poor kitchen gets hit hard. Tweens/teens can go through a surprising amount of food before you know it.

He normally doesn't go too nuts thankfully, but I can always tell when he's about to go through a growth spurt, because he starts eating EVERYTHING. And not even like...as a meal. Loaf of bread? Demolished. Package of sliced cheese? Inhaled. So on and so forth. And I'm pretty sure another one is coming up.

He's always been huge (he's built like a fridge, broad all through the shoulders and hips), and if he's anything like my brother who was the same way, he's going to end up well over 6' tall and the growing won't be done until he's 21 or so.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Make him his own casseroles (and teach him how to cook!)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Alterian posted:

Make him his own casseroles (and teach him how to cook!)

He actually is learning how to cook, because I'm not going to let him end up one of those grown people, man or woman, who doesn't know how to take care of themselves. The only thing he's not allowed to do without supervision is use the stove, because due to his focus issues he has trouble remembering to turn it off. He'll usually actually make a meal. Just sometimes he turns into a black hole.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AngryRobotsInc posted:

He normally doesn't go too nuts thankfully, but I can always tell when he's about to go through a growth spurt, because he starts eating EVERYTHING. And not even like...as a meal. Loaf of bread? Demolished. Package of sliced cheese? Inhaled. So on and so forth. And I'm pretty sure another one is coming up.

He's always been huge (he's built like a fridge, broad all through the shoulders and hips), and if he's anything like my brother who was the same way, he's going to end up well over 6' tall and the growing won't be done until he's 21 or so.

Consider yourself lucky. I was 6'4" when I was 15, and didn't stop until I was 6'9" in college. I would go through multiple gallons of milk each week.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Consider yourself lucky. I was 6'4" when I was 15, and didn't stop until I was 6'9" in college. I would go through multiple gallons of milk each week.

Ouch. Yeah, height guestimation is....tricky at best, but his doctors have tentatively suggested he'll probably end up about 6'4".

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
In 8-10 years we're going to be feeding three teenage boys at once. (Plus their pre-teen sister). And they're going to have (half of) my genes, and I'm 190 cm and somewhere between 110 and 120 kg. The food budget will bankrupt us.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Which leads me to think it's manipulation and not genuine fear, but we certainly don't want to ignore genuine fears if they're actually there.

What do you mean by "manipulation"?

She might not know exactly what she is feeling. Using a term she knows (afraid) might be a stand-in for some other feeling she doesn't know how to explain yet. Like loneliness, boredom, frustration, anxiety ... As she develops her language, she might be able to put the right words to what she's feeling, but maybe right now you have to accept that "I'm afraid of X" is her way of saying "don't leave me"?

Public Serpent posted:

Our daughter (4 yo) has been doing the same thing on and off where she's "scared" of random things. Sometimes she's really scared of something but usually it's about wanting company. TBH we just take it as a signal she needs more mom time, and go with her to the bathroom or whatever it is. It usually goes away after a few days of extra attention.

Some good advice there.

See if you can find any children's books about e.g. scary things, use them to talk to her about fears. Ditto about other feelings.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 2, 2019

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
The thing I try to keep in mind is that it doesn’t matter how trivial it seems to me, bub’s feelings are real, and they’re often bigger than she can handle, so our role is to be there and to talk it through.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

What do you mean by "manipulation"?

She might not know exactly what she is feeling. Using a term she knows (afraid) might be a stand-in for some other feeling she doesn't know how to explain yet. Like loneliness, boredom, frustration, anxiety ... As she develops her language, she might be able to put the right words to what she's feeling, but maybe right now you have to accept that "I'm afraid of X" is her way of saying "don't leave me"?

By manipulation, I mean that she's using a tool to get us to do something because she knows it works. In this case, she knows saying she's afraid will get us to help her do something rather than doing it by herself. It's very possible that something has changed in her life that we aren't realizing, and she can't properly communicate so she uses fear in its place. However, I find it strange that she will say she's afraid even if we're in the middle of playing with her (e.g. she and I will be playing picnic with her stuffed animals and she'll want her bunny from the other room to be there, too. I'll tell her to go get it, and she'll say "I'm scared. You get it for me.").

Sometimes it does seem like genuine fear / wanting us to be with her. But other times it feels like she's using being afraid as a way to get us to do something for her. It's a tricky path to walk where we want to encourage her to do things by herself and not need us to do it for her, but also show her that we're always here for her and won't leave her.

Whatever the case may be, I appreciate the valuable insight and other perspectives. I will definitely look into books / literature to help us communicate better about fears.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Hey ya'll, gently caress molars. gently caress them so hard. Bub's got both lower 1st molars and canines coming in and goddamit I just finished night weaning him and was finally, finally starting to see longer stretches of sleep. Fuuuuuck.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

2DEG posted:

Hey ya'll, gently caress molars. gently caress them so hard. Bub's got both lower 1st molars and canines coming in and goddamit I just finished night weaning him and was finally, finally starting to see longer stretches of sleep. Fuuuuuck.

As discussed previously, the apparently best tasting tylenol is Target's dye free grape.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

As discussed previously, the apparently best tasting tylenol is Target's dye free grape.

Am I imagining things, or was there not a flavorless Tylenol on the market in the late 80s/early 90s? My wee dude is cutting four molars at once,2 top 2 bottom, and he loathes the grape so much it will send him into a screaming fit that ends in puking. I’ve googled and called pharmacies and nothing, though lots of people in their mid-30s seem to remember it existing.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

Ben Nevis posted:

He's become a goddamn junkie for the dye-free children's Motrin (berry I think). Big ol' smile and a little dance when he sees that poo poo come out.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sweet Custom Van posted:

Am I imagining things, or was there not a flavorless Tylenol on the market in the late 80s/early 90s? My wee dude is cutting four molars at once,2 top 2 bottom, and he loathes the grape so much it will send him into a screaming fit that ends in puking. I’ve googled and called pharmacies and nothing, though lots of people in their mid-30s seem to remember it existing.

No clue. In tylenol we've only seen awful cherry and moderately less awful grape. Pretty sure I've seen Berry motrin, but no unflavored. If I recall, the acetaminofen is somewhat bitter, so I imagine all of them are sweetened and flavored.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Our kids love the cherry Tylenol.

I forget if I saw it here, but someone shared an article that said, on average, parents return to "normal" sleep when their youngest child is 6 years old. :suicide:

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I’m doing my best to forget what my pre-baby sleep and routines were ever like. Like, trying not to compare anything- even the good nights- because it’s no longer relevant and I’m not getting it back regardless.

I think this approach has been good for my sanity, but I’m only ten weeks into this parenting thing so who knows.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I'm thinking that there is no venture in life that is more "plunge into the deep end of the pool" than becoming a parent. And there's no climbing back up, gotta swim the distance...

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I guess I’m lucky?? that I’ve had life long sleep problems, so adjusting to baby sleep hasn’t been too different. At least now I have a reason for why I can’t sleep. My twelve week old just slept “through the night” from 10pm to 3am for the first time last night, but I was awake no less than three times in that five hour stretch.

Last week we were with family, and one of their dogs licked my baby on the mouth, which I wasn’t thrilled with. Later it was brought up that the dog has worms and was on day three of treatment. I’m now going to be worrying for the next 1-2 months that my kid has worms since Google says that’s how long it takes for worms to show up in poo. My baby will be fine though, right...?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

2DEG posted:

He's become a goddamn junkie for the dye-free children's Motrin (berry I think). Big ol' smile and a little dance when he sees that poo poo come out.

My boy spits out Motrin now, real helpful during his first viral illness :smith:

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Roundworm eggs drop in faeces but they need to hang out in the environment for 1-3 weeks before they develop to the point of being infective so you're probably in the clear. If you're worried anyway though you can probably get an anthelmintic suitable for little babies.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 10, 2019

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Was the baby playing with dog poop?
If not I wouldn't worry.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

My boy spits out Motrin now, real helpful during his first viral illness :smith:

Same. She pushed all the Motrin out of her mouth last night.

I’m 100% sure she has RSV. Doctor opens at 9 AM so waiting to call. This would be day 4. She’s using her abs to breathe and her breathing is crackly. Poor thing. At least now I have FMLA so I can take care of her.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Sarah posted:

Same. She pushed all the Motrin out of her mouth last night.

I’m 100% sure she has RSV. Doctor opens at 9 AM so waiting to call. This would be day 4. She’s using her abs to breathe and her breathing is crackly. Poor thing. At least now I have FMLA so I can take care of her.

Sorry to hear. RSV is one of the more brutal things to go through with your kid and it sucks.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
One of the twins had their first stitches last night, woo! I’m honestly surprised it’s taken this long, especially with how clumsy this one is.

Tripped in the kitchen and went face first into a step stool, split the top lip almost perfectly in the middle. Once the initial pain wore off he was a total champ at the hospital.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Regarding picky eating, have a topical Twitter thread. (Crossposted from the PYF Cute thread.)

https://twitter.com/65thvictor/status/1147588161314463744

I think this is a great "trick" but it's also the oldest one in the book. Have the kid help pick out a recipe and cook it together, they'll eat it. So looking forward to trying this once baby is older. The Zelda thing is a nice twist but could be anything - find food in a TV show, a book, whatever the kid likes.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 10, 2019

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Sorry to hear. RSV is one of the more brutal things to go through with your kid and it sucks.

We ended up at urgent care because apparently her pediatrician isn’t in until 1 pm on Wednesdays. Of all days to have a baby super sick. :(

Anyway, a breathing treatment and heavy suction later, she’s feeling better. This is day 4, so one more bad day ahead of us.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Our 14mo old has been throwing up a lot today. Last Monday his daycare called, said he was acting fussier than normal (he never fusses there), they checked his temp at 102, and I got him to the doc that day. No sooner did I get him checked in...upchuck city. Everywhere. On my foot, all over himself and the waiting room floor. I forgot diapers in his diaper bag that day too so that was fun. He had an ear infection, and doc said this was the cause but he threw up a gently caress ton. He did it three more times in the waiting room after the exam while I waited for my wife to get there and take him home.

Today was the same thing except no fever and he seems fine. Last week he clearly didn’t feel well, now it’s throwing up a lot by itself. He threw up about six times, I think everything he had in his stomach, so I gave him his sippy full of water and he downed it. He threw it all up on me about 20 min later. I tried pedialite, which he usually hates, and now he’s all about it. The doc said if he hasn’t peed his diaper after six hours to take him to the ER, but we have an appointment with the doc tomorrow morning.

Anyone seen this before? He went about 8 days with no problems at all, now he can’t keep down water. Seems to be no real reason this is happening, if he’s having a reaction to food that would be weird because all he’s had this week are foods he’s happily eaten before with no problem whatsoever. Now I’m worried I’m going to have to keep a stone face watching him get an I.V. and screaming to holy hell.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I post this all the time but it sounds like a norovirus. The doctor didn't administer a topical zofran for the vomiting? Usually comes in a dissolvable pill for at home later. I'm surprised they didn't go that route with the frequency you are describing. If it is a norovirus, buckle up. That poo poo burns like wildfire through a house. We finally went about a year since the last stomach bug hit my family and gently caress that one took me a week to hold anything solid down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Now I’m worried I’m going to have to keep a stone face watching him get an I.V. and screaming to holy hell.

Hopefully it won't get to this point but if he does ever need an IV, slap an EMLA cream patch down a few hours beforehand and it should take the pain factor out of the equation at least.