Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

SiGmA_X posted:

I learned this too, via my couch frame with a wood floor. Pro tip - don’t let furniture touch the wall ever. But that $80 damage won’t go on your rental history or anything like that.

Yeh it wasn’t bad. I paid the $80 out of pocket and then got my whole bond back (the system here is a little different). It was all for naught, given I never rented before or since and don’t expect a record to stick around for 10+ years, but I didn’t know that would be the case at the time.

In any case, I’m still baffled as to how you get a rental record on RV hookups. poo poo on the hookup? Dig a moat in the dirt around your caravan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Knyteguy posted:

Definitely. The one thing we'll probably buy new no matter what is my son's mattress; other than that we're no strangers to thrift store couches and whatnot.

Goodwill around here sells new mattresses btw, and they're pretty reasonably priced, never tried one though.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Nam Taf posted:

Yeh it wasn’t bad. I paid the $80 out of pocket and then got my whole bond back (the system here is a little different). It was all for naught, given I never rented before or since and don’t expect a record to stick around for 10+ years, but I didn’t know that would be the case at the time.

In any case, I’m still baffled as to how you get a rental record on RV hookups. poo poo on the hookup? Dig a moat in the dirt around your caravan?

Not RV park history - rental history in general. RV parks around here have so much volume (and such long queues) that there's an application process and credit check just like an apartment. It's absurd.

tumblr hype man posted:

Goodwill around here sells new mattresses btw, and they're pretty reasonably priced, never tried one though.

Thanks for the info. We saw those but we weren't sure if they were new or not.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Gonna end up about $350-$400/$650 on furniture and not need the $350 next month. Thrift stores rock. It's feeling really good to follow a budget backed by a good plan again.

e: clarify.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 7, 2019

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
e: nvm

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 7, 2019

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
A note on a useful way to frame your perceptions:

- Having a plan and acting in the present in accordance with the plan: pretty good
- Had a plan, completed the plan in its entirety: much better

A monthly budget is a plan for the month. Until August 1, you don't know how well you're doing on your budget in July, because you haven't gotten out the other side of the time span the plan covers. The double edges of this are that you aren't succeeding just by staying within the budget within July, and that if you come out on or under budget in August you've succeeded well.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

A note on a useful way to frame your perceptions:

- Having a plan and acting in the present in accordance with the plan: pretty good
- Had a plan, completed the plan in its entirety: much better

A monthly budget is a plan for the month. Until August 1, you don't know how well you're doing on your budget in July, because you haven't gotten out the other side of the time span the plan covers. The double edges of this are that you aren't succeeding just by staying within the budget within July, and that if you come out on or under budget in August you've succeeded well.

Got it, and agreed.

So I asked it in my nevermind post, but we found a new $3,300 couch for $80 at Salvation Army. Nearly perfect, brand new, still has a store tag plastic piece on the arm. Tiniest scuff at the top or a floor model is my guess for the donation reason. Doesn't look or feel like it's ever been sat on. Should we consider selling/"flipping" this? I feel like I'm going to be a freak about keeping it nice so it's tempting for that reason also: https://www.crateandbarrel.com/barrett-queen-sleeper/s657256?oc=1,263 . Used market seems to be around $600, but those are actually used not 'used'. Not sure what we'll do but thought I'd get some input.

Also, speed bump. My vape poo poo was stolen from my truck in the middle of the day, from my guess a teenager. We won't have the discretionary to cover another setup, so I either have to break the budget or quick nicotine products completely. So I'm going to quit nicotine completely because I'm very serious about meeting our budget. This is going to suck balls. Wish me luck BFC.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I would say just keep it and be happy with the good bargain.

That sucks your stuff got stolen... good luck with the nicotine, wish I had something constructive to offer there.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Knyteguy posted:

Got it, and agreed.

So I asked it in my nevermind post, but we found a new $3,300 couch for $80 at Salvation Army. Nearly perfect, brand new, still has a store tag plastic piece on the arm. Tiniest scuff at the top or a floor model is my guess for the donation reason. Doesn't look or feel like it's ever been sat on. Should we consider selling/"flipping" this? I feel like I'm going to be a freak about keeping it nice so it's tempting for that reason also: https://www.crateandbarrel.com/barrett-queen-sleeper/s657256?oc=1,263 . Used market seems to be around $600, but those are actually used not 'used'. Not sure what we'll do but thought I'd get some input.

Also, speed bump. My vape poo poo was stolen from my truck in the middle of the day, from my guess a teenager. We won't have the discretionary to cover another setup, so I either have to break the budget or quick nicotine products completely. So I'm going to quit nicotine completely because I'm very serious about meeting our budget. This is going to suck balls. Wish me luck BFC.

Who gives a poo poo what its worth? Its a cheap couch, get it and use it and don't yell at your kid for inevitably spilling some poo poo on it because they were used to living in a trailer. Its weird to me how you're so obsessed with catching perceived deals, like you said you were when you see truck commercials. Its a loving couch. You can't take it with you when you die and no one who knows you will care where its from. You aren't going to have it your whole life. You need it to sit on now, find one that is comfortable. Its not there to make you feel like you made it. gently caress, it should probably be uncomfortable to remind you what life will be like if you keep spending like you want to

Good luck with the nicotine quitting. I know firsthand how hard it can be, especially seeing other people consume it. Its going to take a lot of will power but you can do it. Do it for your kid. They are crazy impressionable and you don't want them to think its normal

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

So I'm going to quit nicotine completely because I'm very serious about meeting our budget. This is going to suck balls. Wish me luck BFC.

This is going to have the biggest impact on your budget and health of all changes you can make. Try to not be a dick just because you aren't loaded to the gills with nicotine.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Thanks - sounds good we'll keep the sofa.

Nocheez posted:

Try to not be a dick just because you aren't loaded to the gills with nicotine.

Yeah it won't be a fun first week that's for sure.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Knyteguy posted:

Got it, and agreed.

It bothers me that you’re still getting distracted by ‘clever’ schemes and ‘one weird tricks’. You’ve not even moved out of your trailer and already you’re tempted by some crazy idea of buying a sofa and storing it in an apartment you don’t yet have in the hope of selling not on a few weeks down the line? Never mind the question of how you’re planning to keep it pristine in a house with a toddler and five animals? Why do you keep seeking out things like this? Can you really not do something as simple as searching for second hand furniture without being distracted by yet another crazy scheme? Have you not twigged that this is exactly the kind of impulsive behaviour that got you into the mess you’re in in the first place?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah if you want a crazy scheme to make more money, get to interviewing. Or, alternatively, have your wife interview. It's just crazy enough to work.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

DoctorTristan posted:

It bothers me that you’re still getting distracted by ‘clever’ schemes and ‘one weird tricks’. You’ve not even moved out of your trailer and already you’re tempted by some crazy idea of buying a sofa and storing it in an apartment you don’t yet have in the hope of selling not on a few weeks down the line? Never mind the question of how you’re planning to keep it pristine in a house with a toddler and five animals? Why do you keep seeking out things like this? Can you really not do something as simple as searching for second hand furniture without being distracted by yet another crazy scheme? Have you not twigged that this is exactly the kind of impulsive behaviour that got you into the mess you’re in in the first place?

Why do I gain an animal or a different type of animal every other post? Drives me nuts. 2 cats, 2 dogs.

I didn't buy this couch as some get rich quick scheme, I bought it to sit on yes. I'm excited because we always have build-your-own walmart furniture or 50-year old couches we find on the curb.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah if you want a crazy scheme to make more money, get to interviewing. Or, alternatively, have your wife interview. It's just crazy enough to work.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 8, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
way to ignore the fundamental substance of DoctorTristan's post

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

way to ignore the fundamental substance of DoctorTristan's post

Which is what? There's a lot of assumptions in his post.

I'll break down the points. No I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat.

quote:

It bothers me that you’re still getting distracted by ‘clever’ schemes and ‘one weird tricks’.
- This doesn't even apply. My 'one weird trick' is to follow a budget to get out of debt. Bankers hate it!

You’ve not even moved out of your trailer and already you’re tempted by some crazy idea of buying a sofa and storing it in an apartment you don’t yet have in the hope of selling not on a few weeks down the line?
- How can I store furniture in an apartment I don't have? My family has a garage.

Never mind the question of how you’re planning to keep it pristine in a house with a toddler and five animals?
- That's why I said I was slightly concerned about 4 animals; nice furniture is something we've avoided intentionally. That's a hey my pets have died and my son is an adult now type of purchase imo. At least furniture with fabric. But ultimately you guys are right, it's an $80 couch, and we probably won't have it the rest of our lives.

Why do you keep seeking out things like this?
- We needed a couch.

Can you really not do something as simple as searching for second hand furniture without being distracted by yet another crazy scheme?
- We bought a lot of stuff not just a couch. What's distracting about a quick sanity check? No harm no foul. I'm not asking about every piece we bought here.

Have you not twigged that this is exactly the kind of impulsive behaviour that got you into the mess you’re in in the first place?
- What's impulsive about buying a couch that was planned and budgeted for? If you mean the impulse to sell it, it's really nice and I thought it could potentially be worth $1,500 or something to help pad the emergency fund. If I accidentally buy a baseball card worth $5,000 I'll see if I should sell that too. I saw the MSRP and was considering someone in BFC would be like 'hey that's worth $1,500 ($1,800 under MSRP) sell that and buy a crappier couch dude you have 4 pets and a kid. That didn't happen, and sweet we have the nicest couch we've ever owned for $80. Sounds good.

So I don't feel that it fits my thought process at all. Feel free to tell me why I'm wrong.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Knyteguy posted:

So I don't feel that it fits my thought process at all. Feel free to tell me why I'm wrong.

The part where you don't address your scheme of trying to "flip" the couch for money which is what they were talking about. The points you raise here about wanting an $80 couch for your own use are fine. The broke brain part is all of the "zomg it is 'worth' $3k (ed: it isn't even if that's what it retails for) let's flip it for $$$!"

Edit: and before you say "but look I said I hoped a goon would say I could sell it for mad cash!" That touches on you having said you wanted to flip it but ignores the actual thought process of why. And in that you talk about "accidentally" buying baseball cards so lmfao

Raldikuk fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 8, 2019

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Knyteguy posted:

It's because the get-rich-quick magical thinking is the opposite of the humdrum belt-tightening you need to be doing.

You are effortlessly an rear end in a top hat, no ned to try.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

big lol at the idea of accidentally buying something

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Knyteguy posted:

If you mean the impulse to sell it, it's really nice and I thought it could potentially be worth $1,500 or something to help pad the emergency fund.

Yeah, I think they meant this impulse. It's a nice impulse, but it's still an impulse. It shows that you're looking for anything to help you except the hard, boring work of sticking to a budget. Trying to flip the couch also strikes me a distraction that would be more trouble than it's worth. Frankly, it reminds me of the kind of scrambling I've done in the past, before I got on ADD medication--grasping for something, anything except the actual work. Keep it simple: stick to the budget, look for a better job, stay the long and boring course.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Knyteguy posted:

Essentially, if I needed a couch and was so low on my budget that I went to Goodwill, I would be happy I found a nice couch to fit my budget and be done with it. Most of us would not think to instantly check the MSRP of a secondhand item and instead of saying "hey I got a good deal!" go "booyah shortcut to cashville!", and then consider hawking it. without even a room to display it.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Knyteguy posted:

Defensive much? Yes, you were thinking of this as a stupid get rich quick scheme, I know this because (1) you have a shitload of history of doing exactly this (remember the title of your last thread?) and (2) you said so on this very page FFS WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU:

Knyteguy posted:

So I asked it in my nevermind post, but we found a new $3,300 couch for $80 at Salvation Army. [...] Should we consider selling/"flipping" this? I feel like I'm going to be a freak...

Knyteguy posted:

We bought a lot of stuff not just a couch. What's distracting about a quick sanity check? No harm no foul. I'm not asking about every piece we bought here.

You want to know where’s the harm? Your original (deleted) post was on the 7th, you came back and posted the one I quoted above 36 hours later. You’ve spent at least a day and a half thinking about some stupid couch flipping scheme - researching prices, looking up listings and generally thinking of ways to wriggle out of actually getting your finances under control.

Your current financial and living situation is the cumulative result of years of you doing this kind of poo poo. Doing it doesn’t leave you any better off at the end of the day (proof: your current finances). Your even thinking about doing it again is the equivalent of an alcoholic pouring out shots of Jameson’s while going “Hey, there’s no harm if I only smell them, right?!!!”

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
He doesn't want to get better.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

DoctorTristan posted:

Defensive much? Yes, you were thinking of this as a stupid get rich quick scheme, I know this because (1) you have a shitload of history of doing exactly this (remember the title of your last thread?) and (2) you said so on this very page FFS WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU:

You want to know where’s the harm? Your original (deleted) post was on the 7th, you came back and posted the one I quoted above 36 hours later. You’ve spent at least a day and a half thinking about some stupid couch flipping scheme - researching prices, looking up listings and generally thinking of ways to wriggle out of actually getting your finances under control.

Your current financial and living situation is the cumulative result of years of you doing this kind of poo poo. Doing it doesn’t leave you any better off at the end of the day (proof: your current finances). Your even thinking about doing it again is the equivalent of an alcoholic pouring out shots of Jameson’s while going “Hey, there’s no harm if I only smell them, right?!!!”

Breetai posted:

He doesn't want to get better.

He definitely doesn't want to do the hard, boring, tedious work it will take to get better

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

DoctorTristan posted:

Defensive much? Not really?

Yes, you were thinking of this as a stupid get rich quick scheme, I know this because (1) you have a shitload of history of doing exactly this (remember the title of your last thread?) and (2) you said so on this very page FFS WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU:

A get rich quick scheme would be: hey I should start flipping thrift store couches every weekend then this debt is gone! Or: Hey I can flip this couch gonna buy this and give it a go! Problem solved baby

As I said earlier in the thread, I don't trust me decision making re: finances, so I'm using an advisor (i.e.: BFC) to sanity check my choices.

I had an LLC the past two years where I made a nice chunk of change developing a website as side hustle. If you think that I feel like I can earn my way out of this bad financial decision making you're wrong. If you think I feel like even $2,000 (let alone $520 which I what I posted as the used market) would do anything then you're wrong.

Bobbie Wickham posted:

It shows that you're looking for anything to help you except the hard, boring work of sticking to a budget.

Fixed to match my train of thought. I literally just made the choice to quit smoking to stay in budget, and that's incredibly hard for anyone familiar. I wouldn't do that if I felt like there was an easy answer besides budgeting, because quitting cold turkey is awful and we can't afford anything to help out with it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

Fixed to match my train of thought. I literally just made the choice to quit smoking to stay in budget, and that's incredibly hard for anyone familiar. I wouldn't do that if I felt like there was an easy answer besides budgeting, because quitting cold turkey is awful and we can't afford anything to help out with it.

Nawh. Your vaping poo poo got stolen and even you couldn't justify the cost of re-buying all of it. You'd still be spending money on vaping if someone hadn't done you the favor of saving you a few extra bucks.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Nawh. Your vaping poo poo got stolen and even you couldn't justify the cost of re-buying all of it. You'd still be spending money on vaping if someone hadn't done you the favor of saving you a few extra bucks.

Oh believe me I could. There's also patches, gum, hypnosis, chantix, plenty of stuff to spend money on here that I could justify with 'but it will save me money in the future!'. I'm trying to break that pattern though.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
How much damage did your truck suffer? loving thieves...

Good luck with quitting. Stay focused on it. Maybe workout or something. You can do it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

I had an LLC the past two years where I made a nice chunk of change developing a website as side hustle. If you think that I feel like I can earn my way out of this bad financial decision making you're wrong. If you think I feel like even $2,000 (let alone $520 which I what I posted as the used market) would do anything then you're wrong.
If you were making so much money and are so smart, why are you here asking for help? What do you want from this thread?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

look man nobody is gonna believe that you aren't after the easy, low effort way out, because no normal person's reaction to getting a good deal on a couch is going to be "i could flip this bitch for $"

i also feel like at some level the quitting nicotine is a Look How Serious I Am And How Much I Am Willing To Sacrifice performative thing because you're spending what, a hundred bucks a month? it ain't gonna make a huge difference in the long run. it is a good idea for sure but setting yourself up for low probability of success to Prove How Serious I Am is not smart

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

How much damage did your truck suffer? loving thieves...

Good luck with quitting. Stay focused on it. Maybe workout or something. You can do it.

Nada; I accidentally left it unlocked for 30 minutes while moving my kid's mattress into a garage and visited w/ family for a minute inside. Came back it was gone. Could have stolen my Tekonsha trailer brake controller, and my Garmin RV GPS, but they chose the used dirty vape. That's why I was thinking it was a teenager.

Working out is a good idea, thanks. I've been wanting to start a small daily exercise routine with my son to instill a healthy habit for life while he's still malleable; this sounds like a good opportunity to start.

Nocheez posted:

If you were making so much money and are so smart, why are you here asking for help? What do you want from this thread?

For help formulating (and sticking with) a plan, for sanity checks, to improve my financial literacy, and to help me identify harmful patterns (when relevant). Getting out of debt is my life goal right now. This thread will absolutely help me with that.

And frankly, despite me willfully loving up in my last thread, my family's finances were the best they've ever been during it. And yeah last thread I did willfully gently caress up. It didn't seem worth the effort (I remember asking the thread at one point, "what's the point of all of this?") because my goals were nebulous. Imagine what I can do when I'm focused and not actively self-sabotaging. Well I'll imagine that you guys probably won't, but you get what I'm saying.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

look man nobody is gonna believe that you aren't after the easy, low effort way out,
I'm OK with this. It's deserved/expected.

because no normal person's reaction to getting a good deal on a couch is going to be "i could flip this bitch for $"
Fair enough, I guess I'm kind of a weird guy sometimes.

i also feel like at some level the quitting nicotine is a Look How Serious I Am And How Much I Am Willing To Sacrifice performative thing because you're spending what, a hundred bucks a month? it ain't gonna make a huge difference in the long run. it is a good idea for sure but setting yourself up for low probability of success to Prove How Serious I Am is not smart

If you're giving me a sanity check then I'm open to hear what you're thinking.

Average spent: $144.88/mo, and that was mostly in the south where cigarettes were much cheaper. Probably $175 back here in the west. Add in more expensive health insurance as well. Also I habitually smoke when drinking, so I can't drink until I'm well in the clear of active nicotine addiction, so add another $77.17/mo cut there. All-in-all probably $300/mo. Not the end-all be-all solution to my finances or health, but a step in the right direction.

If I'm 100% going to break then I'll get some nicotine gum or a patch and justify it as a medical expense. I'll ask my wife to help hold me to this (one of the benefits of having one car I don't have access to most of the day). I've quit with a patch before; the first two days are the hardest but it gets easier after that.

My wife's work offers a quit for life program for a health insurance discount, I'm going to see if I can sign up for that yet tonight.

gently caress smoking.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Knyteguy posted:

It's still an impulse. I get where you're coming from, but the only way forward is to stop entertaining your impulses. Even quitting was an impulse, brought about by someone stealing your vape pen. I actually don't think that smoking/vaping is the worst vice to have, if you can keep the costs reasonable. And it's really hard to followthrough on an impulsive decision to quit an addiction if you're not doing it with some kind of plan. Seriously, I would take you more seriously if you decided to invest in smoking cessation stuff, and understood how/why the couch thing was counterproductive in your specific case.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

sanity checks

:lol: ok bud, sure thing.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

look man nobody is gonna believe that you aren't after the easy, low effort way out, because no normal person's reaction to getting a good deal on a couch is going to be "i could flip this bitch for $"

I have to admit that "I could flip this couch" is the sort of thought that would cross my mind, but I just don't follow up on it. The rest of my brain would go, "remember how you had a plan sort of like this once and it didn't work out? and also you need a couch!" and I would move on to annoyingly telling people what a good deal I got instead.

Knyteguy seems to have... I don't know, a very positive bias when it comes to assessing whether a fun idea might pan out. It might just be a defensive thing, framing things more positively in his posts than in his thoughts. But I am not very smart and still manage to avoid harebrained schemes because I can't shut off my awareness of all the things that might go wrong with them. Buying that truck and RV would not have made me happy because I would have thought about the loans all the time. The only way I can rationalize KG's decisions is to think that he just shuts that stuff out.

Maybe not, maybe I am just a more functional version of weird.

On another note, I totally agree with your comments about quitting nicotine.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Maybe I'm alone in this, but taking advantage of a place like the salvation army to flip something intended for needy families to make a quick buck seems pretty despicable, and of low cunning. I know you didn't follow through, but I wager you came here hoping someone would validate it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Trillian posted:

I have to admit that "I could flip this couch" is the sort of thought that would cross my mind, but I just don't follow up on it. The rest of my brain would go, "remember how you had a plan sort of like this once and it didn't work out? and also you need a couch!" and I would move on to annoyingly telling people what a good deal I got instead.

Knyteguy seems to have... I don't know, a very positive bias when it comes to assessing whether a fun idea might pan out. It might just be a defensive thing, framing things more positively in his posts than in his thoughts. But I am not very smart and still manage to avoid harebrained schemes because I can't shut off my awareness of all the things that might go wrong with them. Buying that truck and RV would not have made me happy because I would have thought about the loans all the time. The only way I can rationalize KG's decisions is to think that he just shuts that stuff out.

Maybe not, maybe I am just a more functional version of weird.

On another note, I totally agree with your comments about quitting nicotine.

yeah fundamentally quitting smoking is a plan-free impulse decision and i would have a lot more confidence if there were a real plan to taper/reduce or even if just quitting cold turkey was planned out

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

BloodBag posted:

Maybe I'm alone in this, but taking advantage of a place like the salvation army to flip something intended for needy families to make a quick buck seems pretty despicable, and of low cunning. I know you didn't follow through, but I wager you came here hoping someone would validate it.

Yeah, it reminds me of the assholes that would pick up things from the neighborhood donation bin meant to help out neighbors and sell them. Their greed and laziness effectively shut down a thing that was helping little old ladies and young families in need for their lifted trucks.

Not saying you were doing that KG but it rubbed me the wrong way, and I think that's what it reminded me of. Not "this is a good deal and I could use this" but "I can profit off this"

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

BloodBag posted:

I used to think this way, but my mother-in-law set me straight about thrift shops.

The items are donated with the intention of being sold. It doesn't matter who is buying it, the charity is getting money. Truly destitute people can get things for free (or very cheap). So go ahead, shop at Goodwill and other thrift stores without any guilt!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
(e: To basically repeat what Nocheez said above): I volunteered at a thrift store previously - buy stuff from them if you support their cause whatsoever. They don't care if you're driving a Bentley, the money you spend helps their (usually needy or disabled) workers keep their jobs, and their cause. There's usually programs/vouchers for discounts on their goods for the truly needy.

Donations are great too, but until they're sold they don't benefit anyone. The place I volunteered at had to close shop due to a lack of sales.

Flipping does add an ethical component I didn't consider, so good call.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah fundamentally quitting smoking is a plan-free impulse decision and i would have a lot more confidence if there were a real plan to taper/reduce or even if just quitting cold turkey was planned out

I'm George Costanza, aren't I? "Every single instinct I have is wrong".

I don't know what to do to quit smoking and stay in the budget without going cold turkey. Patches are close to $50 loving dollars. Gum is cheaper at like $14 but it's like $14 a day or something until you quit. I had all my vape poo poo for the next month or two which was my cessation device that I've been highly successful with.

I'll put some more thought into it. The budget must (not) (over)flow. That quit for life program uses Chantix I think, so I'll follow that plan if that's what it takes. Should have some more info tonight.

Busy day I know I missed some points in there. I'll try to get to them later.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
You know what's free? Going cold turkey, getting a support group, and exercise.