Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wanna put that slogan on a dildo.

It’s on one, if you’re brave enough. Hoo-ah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
After looking at this thread I started getting ads for tactical shoelaces that can cut through zip restraints.

On the plus side, re-reading some old Andrew Vachss novels that talk about using these SOF/Rhodesian army recruiting ads as a tool to identify freaks.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

alucinor posted:

After looking at this thread I started getting ads for tactical shoelaces that can cut through zip restraints.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Fearsome warriors, those juggalos (and juggalettes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plM7CMmlwlg

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

alucinor posted:

On the plus side, re-reading some old Andrew Vachss novels that talk about using these SOF/Rhodesian army recruiting ads as a tool to identify freaks.

My immediate thought reading the old SoF adverts, sup Vachss-liking buddy :hf:

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

:same: but mine may be real. I found it in a grocery store parking lot.

Dope! I use use mine for when all my scissors do their regular disappearing act and some poo poo* needs to get cut.

*usually yarn for my knitting because I'm elderly :yaycloud:

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

lt_kennedy posted:

Dope! I use use mine for when all my scissors do their regular disappearing act and some poo poo* needs to get cut.

*usually yarn for my knitting because I'm elderly :yaycloud:

"Little Old Ladies With Scissors On Their Knives" is too long for a gang tag, isn't it?

(Usually restaurant coupons when I'm out with my Little Old Lady cohort.)

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Torquemada posted:

My immediate thought reading the old SoF adverts, sup Vachss-liking buddy :hf:

Same here, Vachss-friends

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Why does it seem like it's impossible to get regular full sized scissors that cut as cleanly as the teeny tiny Swiss Army ones?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I bought mine from a sewing supply store.

They were expensive, but by god they will cut anything perfectly.

'Left handed' tailor dressmaking scissors, so just for that they jack the price up a tonne.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I bought mine from a sewing supply store.

They were expensive, but by god they will cut anything perfectly.

Hell yes a good pair of sewing scissors are amazing.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

MarcusSA posted:

Hell yes a good pair of sewing scissors are amazing.

I do that boring married person thing of joking that I used my wife’s sewing scissors for opening tin cans and she dutifully laughs but I see the hatred in her eyes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Torquemada posted:

I do that boring married person thing of joking that I used my wife’s sewing scissors for opening tin cans and she dutifully laughs but I see the hatred in her eyes.

That’s nearly as bad as telling a hair dresser / barber you used their scissors to cut something. In some stated it’s probably justifiable homicide.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I hadn't known a hairdresser's shears were important. Are they personally owned and never shared like a chef's knives?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

I hadn't known a hairdresser's shears were important. Are they personally owned and never shared like a chef's knives?

Yeah and they take that poo poo super serious from what I’ve seen.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Good scissors are serious tools and should be treated with appropriate care. Hand finished ones get real pricey.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

High end scissors are an insane rabbit hole that gets even weirder than knife people stuff, but I want to be able to spend $10 on scissors and get some that work better than the ones on my $10 keychain knife instead of just folding strings in half without cutting anything.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Everyone has seen that video about Japanese scissorcraft.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There's one about the last factory in Sheffield making them as well.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

High end scissors are an insane rabbit hole that gets even weirder than knife people stuff, but I want to be able to spend $10 on scissors and get some that work better than the ones on my $10 keychain knife instead of just folding strings in half without cutting anything.
Fiskars makes good shears that are about the size of normal scissors for $20.
https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Titanium-Nitride-Shop-12-79266984/dp/B000SL44G2/

Those things will even cut through thin leather or wire.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Parts Kit posted:

Evidently goat hooves, too, according to the reviews... drat, I'll never own any goats but now I'm hella tempted to buy a pair just so I can brag AND HOOVES!!! whenever I cut the sales tag off new clothes.

dumb bunny
Jan 30, 2014

Fun Shoe

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

While we're talking about sewin scissors, what material was ist that was a no go to cut? Like, anything except for cloth? I remember a reddit thread where people were seriously mad about their partners cutting something with their sewin scissors.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Son of Rodney posted:

While we're talking about sewin scissors, what material was ist that was a no go to cut? Like, anything except for cloth? I remember a reddit thread where people were seriously mad about their partners cutting something with their sewin scissors.

It can blunt the edge if you use fabric scissors on anything other than fabric (at least that's what my mom always told me). You run the risk of the scissors then starting to tear fabric rather than a clean cut. Fabric scissors are ridiculously sharp and it doesn't take a lot for it to lose that edge.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Parts Kit posted:

These look great and I don't know why I never thought of using snips.

Son of Rodney posted:

Paper/cardboard, maybe? That'll dull stuff a lot faster than people realize.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 9, 2019

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I know from experience that sewing scissors and hair scissors get all hosed up if you use them for other things. When in doubt, use tin snips.

Really though, LOL if you don't use this for your everyday cutting needs:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Why does it seem like it's impossible to get regular full sized scissors that cut as cleanly as the teeny tiny Swiss Army ones?

Imagine sucking at... buying scissors?

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I know from experience that sewing scissors and hair scissors get all hosed up if you use them for other things. When in doubt, use tin snips.

Really though, LOL if you don't use this for your everyday cutting needs:

I guess New York is placed an embargo on fire enchanted weapons, the fools.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Man, the pen collector thread in Ask/Tell was amazing, so many people spending hundreds or even over a thousand dollars on a single pen, obsessing over stats and construction and style, lovingly posing and photographing their own collections...and occasionally having a moment of clarity when they realized that they didn't have any use for their pens since nobody writes by hand anymore.

Also inexplicably they all had awful handwriting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sleeveless posted:

Man, the pen collector thread in Ask/Tell was amazing, so many people spending hundreds or even over a thousand dollars on a single pen, obsessing over stats and construction and style, lovingly posing and photographing their own collections...and occasionally having a moment of clarity when they realized that they didn't have any use for their pens since nobody writes by hand anymore.

I got a fountain pen in a Bespoke Post box that I've taken to using at the office. It just makes me feel fancy.

My handwriting still sucks though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

My favourite will always be the Extremely Classy Pen with Extremely Classy Stand, engraved in motherfucking Papyrus:

grack posted:

Check this poo poo out:

S'right, motherfuckers. I'm officially part of the "People who own fountain pens that came with their own little stands" club. :smugdog:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

A fool and his money are soon Papyrus’d

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's a step up from Comic Sans I guess, but slightly lower than going full Algerian.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I would love to find one of these on the street or some poo poo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

chitoryu12 posted:

I got a fountain pen in a Bespoke Post box that I've taken to using at the office. It just makes me feel fancy.

My handwriting still sucks though.

I use a paper notebook for meeting notes and tracking todos and general think-writing (with obligatory bad handwriting), so I had a couple of fountain pens that I liked a lot. I got out of that habit when I had my last job, though, because it involved a lot of air travel, and fountain pens do not like the pressure shift at all, hoo boy. Went through a couple of backpacks that way.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Subjunctive posted:

I use a paper notebook for meeting notes and tracking todos and general think-writing (with obligatory bad handwriting), so I had a couple of fountain pens that I liked a lot. I got out of that habit when I had my last job, though, because it involved a lot of air travel, and fountain pens do not like the pressure shift at all, hoo boy. Went through a couple of backpacks that way.

Carry a piston filler and eliminate air space in the ink reservoir.

No air to expand means no force to push the ink out.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pfft, child's stuff. Try a real MAN'S pen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4XpwLHPlhw

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sunswipe posted:

Pfft, child's stuff. Try a real MAN'S pen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4XpwLHPlhw

i thought i was at peak amazing but then sly fuckin stallone :laffo:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Subjunctive posted:

Serious question, what is the appeal of fountain pens over ballpoint pens for just basic stuff like taking notes? Like I get how for like specific calligraphy or art projects it could be useful as a special tool but otherwise it seems like the office supply version of being the kid who wears a suit and carries a briefcase in high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sleeveless posted:

Serious question, what is the appeal of fountain pens over ballpoint pens for just basic stuff like taking notes? Like I get how for like specific calligraphy or art projects it could be useful as a special tool but otherwise it seems like the office supply version of being the kid who wears a suit and carries a briefcase in high school.

You've obviously never met a hipster, it's not about the function, it's not about the form, it's about the feeling of superiority.