Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
nice barkley SUAJ gaiden reference in katana 0 with the protein paste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Seconding this question. It mentions being able to multiplayer on the Vacant Island, how much space is that? Is that the whole game or just an area? It seems so neat to be able to multiplayer it but if it's real limited I know I'll be disappointed.

The demo island is the vacant island, pretty sure. It looks like Terra Icognita from the first game, though it looks like it can be expanded pretty nicely out into the ocean. From the description, there's just no local multiplayer without a second Switch and copy of the game.

But it might just be building without being able to go on adventures together, unless that's an unadvertised feature. You can set it to either let your friends build, too, or to just look around.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1148502088374206464

Huh.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
why

it's literally 20 bucks and a few mbs

Edit: you can't even resell it! It needs the online subscription which then gives it to you for free! Even accounting for the dlc thats just :10bux: more

Reallycoolname fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 9, 2019

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Dehry posted:

Well, I beat SNK Heroines already after buying it on Sunday on the Gamestop sale. I'm not sure how KOF and other variants are supposed to play but there was no ducking or high/mid/low attacks. Just a special attack, two physical attacks, and some kind of grapple. Story mode is just the selected tag team having a couple lines of dialogue at the start and just prior to the final boss. The rest of the character events are standalone with them talking to themselves while a camera watches.There are certain parings required to unlock special character art. Unlocking all the special artwork changes the credits theme. I only paid $10 so I can let it slide, but that was a full price game with a $120 limited edition.

I also took advantage of the weekend sale and picked up a copy. Haven't played it yet, but I was really surprised to hear from a video review that there was no ducking. Still sounds like the game isn't a total loss for $10 though. Just nowhere near a competent fighting game.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Visibility. :ms:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

1-2-Switch still being $50 is :psyduck:

i know it sells but it not being a sort of equivalent for the switch as wii sports was to the wii still seems a bit silly to me

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Dehry posted:

Well, I beat SNK Heroines already after buying it on Sunday on the Gamestop sale. I'm not sure how KOF and other variants are supposed to play but there was no ducking or high/mid/low attacks. Just a special attack, two physical attacks, and some kind of grapple. Story mode is just the selected tag team having a couple lines of dialogue at the start and just prior to the final boss. The rest of the character events are standalone with them talking to themselves while a camera watches.There are certain parings required to unlock special character art. Unlocking all the special artwork changes the credits theme. I only paid $10 so I can let it slide, but that was a full price game with a $120 limited edition.

after buying SNK Heroin i nodded right off

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

spit on my clit posted:

nice barkley SUAJ gaiden reference in katana 0 with the protein paste

Same writer in both games :shrug:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Reallycoolname posted:

why

it's literally 20 bucks and a few mbs

Edit: you can't even resell it! It needs the online subscription which then gives it to you for free! Even accounting for the dlc thats just :10bux: more

People really like having something physical.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Electric Phantasm posted:

People really like having something physical.

One of my good friends feels this way; no matter what, he absolutely prefers physical over digital, and only made a brief exception a few years ago when a huge number of Star Wars games went on a crazy sale on Steam.

I'm the total opposite and can't imagine not preferring having everything on my Switch at all times :shrug: I sort of get that whole 'you don't own digital things', but I'm fairly sure Nintendo aren't just going to render my games useless any time soon.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
It's nice having a physical thing. And as a small bonus, it's being able to re-sell my games later when the next gen comes out.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jawdins posted:

re-sell my games later when the next gen comes out.

gross

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Sell boxed copies that have a piece of paper with a download key inside instead of a physical copy of the game, like is done with PC games these days. Best of both worlds!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Sell boxed copies that have a piece of paper with a download key inside instead of a physical copy of the game, like is done with PC games these days. Best of both worlds!

Lol, no. Not when the average game on most consoles lands around the 20+GB mark and a lot of people have download limits to contend with.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

One of my good friends feels this way; no matter what, he absolutely prefers physical over digital, and only made a brief exception a few years ago when a huge number of Star Wars games went on a crazy sale on Steam.

I'm the total opposite and can't imagine not preferring having everything on my Switch at all times :shrug: I sort of get that whole 'you don't own digital things', but I'm fairly sure Nintendo aren't just going to render my games useless any time soon.

It's happened once that I know of

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/05/citizens_of_earth_pulled_from_3ds_eshop_following_exploit_discovery

Not sure if it ever came back and the eShop isn't loading right on my phone to check

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Len posted:

It's happened once that I know of

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/05/citizens_of_earth_pulled_from_3ds_eshop_following_exploit_discovery

Not sure if it ever came back and the eShop isn't loading right on my phone to check

Wasn't that other game that had some sort of coding thing in it as an easter egg removed from the eshop? I get that a title here or there would be taken off, but I meant the eshop in general. Yeah, two generations from now, I'm sure the Switch eShop won't be accessible (or the future systems will just be backwards-compatible, hopefully), but whatever, that's fine. If I had NES games in carts right now, it would be very unlikely that I'd be loading them up, vs playing my modded Wii with all of those games and more installed on them.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Same writer in both games :shrug:

ah so that's why Katana Zero's ending isn't even finished lol

also SolSeraph reviews are out and the verdict seems to be that It Sucks I guess

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dehry posted:

Kof is a real fg, heroines is a cheesecake quick buck fg

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just finished Specter Knight. Treasure Trove is a real good deal. I think I'll do some NG+, 100% item completion, and challenges later. King Knight is going to be great considering the quality they put out. My backlog still contains Steamworld Dig 2, Road Redemption, Rain World, Baba is You, and Wargroove. I think I'm going to try Road Redemption and take breaks from that with Baba is You, or the other way around.

I need to get back into Rain World, but it's still a frustrating experience. I should probably play it on easy, but I hear you don't experience all the enemies mobs, and frankly that's the fun of the game. I just wish dying wasn't so damned costly. And that I knew what I was doing.

Wargroove is fine, I never did get very far into it, maybe 8 or 10 campaign missions in only, but it didn't grip me right away, so I'm hoping it'll pick up.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I own three physical games. SMOdyssey, BotW, and Starlink. I'm pretty sure that absent a cool CE or something I'll never buy another one.

The minor annoyance of having to retrieve and switch out the physical game meant these three had a "who's best" deathmatch and now Starlink lives forever in the Switch, BotW and SMO sit in their cases on a shelf somewhere, and I switch software with the press of a button.

"But JS," you say, "how could Starlink beat BotW in a deathmatch?!?! It's unpossible!"

>eyes go to the thread title<

"I got nothin' to say," I respond. "I live my life with... NO REGRETS."

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

DLC Inc posted:

also SolSeraph reviews are out and the verdict seems to be that It Sucks I guess

I really wanted Sol Seraph to be good but the consensus seems to be "Tower defense part is fine, platforming is ball-breaking hard to just poorly designed depending on whose review you read." :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Artix posted:

I really wanted Sol Seraph to be good but the consensus seems to be "Tower defense part is fine, platforming is ball-breaking hard to just poorly designed depending on whose review you read." :(

So it sounds exactly like Act Raiser 1

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve been 100% digital for two years now because disc drives and physical media have much more likely failure states than digital.

I also took way too long to realize that selling a stack of my 6 favorite Last-Gen games for one new current gen game is bad value, and it’s better to just have the games you pay for.

I’ve lived in Major US Cities for the last 15 years and I’ve never had a bandwitdth cap or heard of anyone having one.

It’s just neat to know I’ve got my whole library everywhere I go!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm having a fun time with Shakedown Hawaii. It's one of the weirdest games I've ever played, it's like a western version of a SUDA 51 idea under the GTA gaze and with MS-DOS games aesthetics cranked up. Probably one of the coolest loving soundtracks of any game I can remember, too. The whole real estate sub-game is just a bunch of numbers and values I barely understand so I just Do Stuff and then Stuff Happens, but there's a lot of that Stuff. It's strange but enjoyable and relaxing to play.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Barudak posted:

So it sounds exactly like Act Raiser 1

Eh the platforning in act raiser wasn't perfect but at the time it was snappy and fun. Do y'all remember unlocking "professional" mode, which was just sidescroller levels back to back, no town building?

That was a cool post-game unlock

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I stopped buying physical video games in 2011 and the only way I'll ever go back is if I stop moving around constantly and want to build a retro library again because I'm a goody two-shoes and won't use a ROM or dump a BIOS that isn't mine.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Eh the platforning in act raiser wasn't perfect but at the time it was snappy and fun. Do y'all remember unlocking "professional" mode, which was just sidescroller levels back to back, no town building?

That was a cool post-game unlock

I may be remembering the difficulty of the platforming sections as they were in Act Raiser 2, a game which did not so much kick my rear end as a young person as transport me to a parallel universe where I have infinite asses and it has infinite feet

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Barudak posted:

I stopped buying physical video games in 2011 and the only way I'll ever go back is if I stop moving around constantly and want to build a retro library again because I'm a goody two-shoes and won't use a ROM or dump a BIOS that isn't mine.

I don't see how it makes any difference to the dev whether you download a ROM or buy a used copy of an old game, they don't see any cash either way. Collecting and playing physical retro games is fun in its own right though.

acems
May 8, 2019

I only buy digital games but make my own cases for a shelf. It’s pretty easy and Nintendo sells empty cases for dirt cheap.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't see how it makes any difference to the dev whether you download a ROM or buy a used copy of an old game, they don't see any cash either way. Collecting and playing physical retro games is fun in its own right though.

I'm that much of a goody two shoes that I gotta be legal even if it helps literally no one but second hand shops. Collecting is, though, super fun and I used to do it before I started moving across the US/Globe pretty regularly.

It has also driven me to buy a shitload of retro-game releases on current gen/PC/iPhone so sorry everyone, I'm the problem!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I aggressively pirated every major release on STEAM during college but then I was playing Dishonored and did something really hard but didn’t get an achievement for it and a tiny fraction of my soul splintered off and died and I never stole another video game

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

For purists who can't handle Sonic and Mario in the Olympics, Sega is also making a track & field version that's looking pretty good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9xMNriMpI

There's a demo on the Japanese eShop that you can try that's seemingly already translated.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Barudak posted:

I may be remembering the difficulty of the platforming sections as they were in Act Raiser 2, a game which did not so much kick my rear end as a young person as transport me to a parallel universe where I have infinite asses and it has infinite feet

Oh dude Act Raiser 2 is just hosed, no idea what happened there. But yeah they got rid of the town sim stuff, cranked up the difficulty to hell, gave you a useless glide that got you into trouble more than it helped, and got rid of every single rpg or collectibles element. So it was basically just a terrible and unfair platformer with a really cool looking wrapper

I bet there's an interesting story hidden behind what may have been the biggest disappointment of my entire childhood. But yeah the first Act Raiser kicks a ton of rear end and is a gold star snes game

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

JonathonSpectre posted:

I own three physical games. SMOdyssey, BotW, and Starlink. I'm pretty sure that absent a cool CE or something I'll never buy another one.

That reminds me I also have to beat Starlink. I was hoping to pick-up the Star Fox DLC on sale, but I've actually never seen it on sale and something tells me it won't be going on sale so I should probably just pick it up and finish the game, which I remember pretty fondly.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve been 100% digital for two years now because disc drives and physical media have much more likely failure states than digital.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think your off-the-shelf flash storage is going to last longer than the flash storage used for Switch games? Pretty sure microsd card failure rates are higher than cart failure rates if the Switch and 3DS threads are any indication.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Bloodplay it again posted:

Out of curiosity, what makes you think your off-the-shelf flash storage is going to last longer than the flash storage used for Switch games? Pretty sure microsd card failure rates are higher than cart failure rates if the Switch and 3DS threads are any indication.

If that happens you just get another microsd card and download the game again.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I got DOOM used physical because I couldn't wait for a sale on the eShop to see what all the fuss was about. Totally worth it. And I got bloodstained physical from my wii u Kickstarter. Other than that, all digital. Already filled one 128gb card, have another, but don't really wanna swap around until I know what is gonna be on them. Maybe big third party\f2p on one and indie\Nintendo on the the other. But where do the ubi projects go?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm going to get my Switch autographed this weekend by Mario and Zelda, is there any kind of pen that will hold up very well on this kind of material?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

not a bot posted:

If that happens you just get another microsd card and download the game again.

By the time the carts are so old that they start failing you might not be able to download the games again