Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

VideoGames posted:

If Pokedex situation is causing issues in the thread can someone explain the problem to me before I make a call on it? I wish the thread to be happy and discussionful, but if a certain topic causes nothing but ire I have no worry in putting a moratorium on it. I would just like to understand first, if that is OK.

Sorry I missed this, I was asleep :v:

It seems to have died down after the forced topic change, but for context:

In the vast majority of past Pokémon games, each new iteration introduced new Pokemon in addition to the previous ones. Typically, each Pokemon is set in a new "region", so each game has what is called a "Regional Pokedex". This is Regional Dex catalogs all the Pokémon new to that region, as well as the selection of previous pokemon that appear during the story progression.

Typically, once a player beats the story, some NPC upgrades their Pokedex to what's become known as a "National Pokedex" that catalogs ALL existing pokemon. There are many mechanisms in place to transfer pokemon between games, so many players use whatever the current game is as a place to attempt to catalog ALL existing Pokémon. Hence the series' tag line "Gotta Catch Em All".

Game Freak, the company that develops the Pokémon games, has recently announced that the upcoming generation of games, Sword and Shield, will NOT have a "National Pokedex". The only Pokémon that will be usable in the games will be the new Pokémon introduced for this generation, as well as a "selection" of older Pokémon. Without a National Dex, the other Pokémon will not be able to be transferred from previous games (despite Game Freak introducing a new service called Pokémon Home that can collect Pokemon from the 3DS games) because their data literally will not exist in Sword and Shield.

This has many fans upset, for many different reasons. Some because everyone has their favorite Pokémon who might not make the cut, others because they see it as Game Freak cutting corners or being "lazy" with Pokémon due to their (Game Freak's) attention being more focused on their upcoming Non-Pokemon game, etc.

Combine that with Game Freak citing the need for more dev time per Pokémon due to the enhanced graphical fidelity offered by the Switch as the reason some Pokémon needed to be cut, but the footage Game Freak has shown being... less than amazing looking as far as animations go, and a lot of people are upset about the whole situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And this is a very subjective point of view, but from how it looks to me:

the situation in this thread specifically is really following the usual pattern that any forums discussion takes after it goes on for a while: after a certain amount of time you tend to get a few people who get really upset that people are still upset about something they don't personally care about and begin to complain about the complaints, and make fun of people for caring about it in the first place.

Additionally, some segments of the terrible public internet have overreacted in various media and communications, and people who want the discussion to end are beginning to conflate the reactions out there with the (much more reasonable) reactions in here when bringing it up.

Ultimately, I don't it's not really something that this thread could really stop talking about unless we basically want to shut down any real discussion of the game at all beyond superficial reactions; it's pretty much going to be a dominant element of concern for this entire generation of game and beyond, and it's linked to a lot of other topics about the Pokemon franchise that are being brought up (developer resources, GameFreak's practices and design, where things go from here etc etc)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 9, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Some-Stuff, the fansubber group, ran a poll when they started subbing sun and moon about japanese vs localized names. Sadly, the people chose the former.

E: they ugly but idk how to feel about pokemon getting preorder dlc costumes
https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1148547623839776769?s=19

The thing that stood out to me is the fact that only a right hand glove.

Lefties rarely get any respect :smith:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Some-Stuff, the fansubber group, ran a poll when they started subbing sun and moon about japanese vs localized names. Sadly, the people chose the former.

You'd think it'd be fairly easy to cater for both if it's a point of concern. Just write the sub as '#POKE0025# I choose you!' and do replaces over them. But to be fair it is just a fansub done in their free time.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/spookykaboom/status/1148439431906357248

:yum:

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
and for dessert, we have slowpoketails with cherubi compote and a fresh alcremie whip

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
is the whip made from cage free exeggcute

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

iospace posted:

The thing that stood out to me is the fact that only a right hand glove.

Lefties rarely get any respect :smith:

If it makes you feel better, Allister appears to be a lefty as he wears his glove on his left.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

less laughter posted:

is the whip made from cage free exeggcute

I mean... every pokemon lays eggs.

I bet high end society restaurants with five hundred dollar dinners serve dessert made with, like, Manaphy egg. Tastes exactly the same, but with that extra snob factor.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 9, 2019

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Zuzie posted:

If it makes you feel better, Allister appears to be a lefty as he wears his glove on his left.

bulbapediaishly: allister may be a combination of all star and sinister for left

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

As someone who is annoyed by the topic, it’s not that I don’t care that people care and have feelings about it, it’s about how cyclical the thread has gotten and that frankly it’s gotten tiring. I actually don’t think there should be a official end to the discussion because it is unreasonable to expect that when emotions are so high, I just wish that there was more acceptance that it’s tiring for everyone and that it’s ok some people are sick of talking about it.

Though these past couple of pages have been fine.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The English move name + Japanese Pokemon/Character style is fine and even kind of preferable to me. I like learning the JP Pokemon names.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So, have we all agreed that Chairman Rose is evil?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Geostomp posted:

Yes

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

oddium posted:

bulbapediaishly: allister may be a combination of all star and sinister for left

He's a follower of the Left-hand path of the occult

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-hand_path_and_right-hand_path

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Is prison jumpsuit what they were going for? Because that's what I see.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Just wanted to be sure. He’s less obvious to than most Pokémon villains. In the sense that he doesn’t dress like a supervillain. He’s blindingly obvious in all other respects, but any baby steps in villain quality are appreciated in this series.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Evil Eagle posted:

The English move name + Japanese Pokemon/Character style is fine and even kind of preferable to me. I like learning the JP Pokemon names.
I have no horse in this race as I don't watch the anime but isn't it silly to do one and not the other? The point of subtitles is to be quickly and easily understood so you can focus on what is happening in the show as smoothly as if you could understand the dialogue. If someone prefers to read Hidoide instead of Mareanie, why should it say Poison Sting instead of Dokubari / Poison Needle? Wanting one to be familiar but not the other makes no sense to me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'd say it's 50/50 on actively evil or misguided and will learn the true meaning of sports from us.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Just wait until we hear him speak.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Oleana is definitely evil, and she's his secretary, so yeah

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Are cutscenes going to be voice acted?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I wanna watch The Great Galan Bake-Off.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

They better not be, as there's no way they'd give everyone the proper unintelligibly thick accents that I imagine them having.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

I hope they are so that people can listen to them and still say Pokeymon somehow after all this time.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Saagonsa posted:

They better not be, as there's no way they'd give everyone the proper unintelligibly thick accents that I imagine them having.

Even if they did, people would complain and demand generic JP voice acting from VAs they know, and it would be an extra gas can on the fire that is SwSh discourse. People still can't get over Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

my opinions can be summed up as follows:
-outfit ugly
-preorder slightly annoying but not unprecedented, and it's not like I wasn't going to predownload it anyways
-outfit customization confirmed, good. Ever since ORAS, I've been perpetually worried that they'll just drop it one day.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This better come with a squat emote.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Saagonsa posted:

I'm sincerely going to play as the girl character because that dumb meme where she sounds like Mike Myers is funny to me.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Is prison jumpsuit what they were going for? Because that's what I see.

yeah it's cross-promotion for the new season of Orange is the New Black

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Rose is evil because corporations, but Oleana is that Pokemon Evil you're expecting

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Abundant Atrophy posted:

Rose is evil because corporations, but Oleana is that Pokemon Evil you're expecting

That's what I'm wondering: does Rose commit Pokemon crimes, or FIFA crimes?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
The Galar League is corrupt and Team Yell are actually good guys trying to make everyone aware of it

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Solumin posted:

That's what I'm wondering: does Rose commit Pokemon crimes, or FIFA crimes?

Turns out the gym stadiums were built using Nepalese slave labor.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Licarn posted:

The Galar League is corrupt and Team Yell are actually good guys trying to make everyone aware of it
okay but the league and the evil team being one and the same WOULD be pretty great

XY had the fire one be part of team flare, but she had exactly zero character development, so it didn't actually go anywhere

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm sincerely going to play as the girl character because that dumb meme where she sounds like Mike Myers is funny to me.

:same:

Takoluka posted:

People still can't get over Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Never played Xenoblade, what happened?

Also, I don't really watch much anime, and when I do it's dubbed. Do companies not usually do official subs? Why?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blaziken386 posted:

okay but the league and the evil team being one and the same WOULD be pretty great

Maybe we'd get an evil team that's not either a) low-level criminal activity or b) DESTROY AND REMAKE THE ENTIRE WORLD

Well, there's Gen V, but aside from that it seems like there's only two possible extremes.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Gen 1 Team Rocket was clearly after Mewtwo for local dominance of the region, which feels like a good inbetween of Skull (best team) and Galactic (Dumbest team).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Pokémon Adventures made the Kanto Elite Four out to be a bunch of megalomaniacs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Maybe we'd get an evil team that's not either a) low-level criminal activity or b) DESTROY AND REMAKE THE ENTIRE WORLD

Well, there's Gen V, but aside from that it seems like there's only two possible extremes.

Aether Foundation is you c) option, which is probably where Chairman Rose's league aligns with (and Team Soccer Fans in the same position Team Skull was)