Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Wait, the group that made GalCiv? What have they done?

They've been engaged in a nearly decade-long attempt to steal the rights to Star Control after managing to buy the Star Control name and nothing else. They are really lovely and awful beyond that, but this is just another one for the pile of "Brad Wardell is one of the worst people in gaming". It involved stuff like threatening to sue the open-source remake project because the Star control creators gave them rights over the name Ur-Quan Masters (the alternate title of Star Control 2 that the creators own) if they didn't sign this licensing deal that actually stipulated that Stardock got all rights to Star Control 2's story, characters, etc if the project's forums ever did anything Stardock disapproved of.

They also did stuff like run a PR campaign to portray the original creators as frauds who convinced everyone falsely, including the publishers of Star Control 1/2/3 that they created Star Control when they had actually nothing to do with it and this Fine Team from the Publishers did all the work.

And this is really just the tip of the iceberg. Stardock is poo poo lal the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Kchama posted:

Is there a thread on the insane Stardock drama somewhere? 'Cuz it is insane. UQM is actually not terrible but it's old and outdated and it shows and lol Stardock just carbon copied it without much updating.

I'm not aware of one on SA. I got curious after seeing a post or two about it in the SA Star Citizen thread, and did enough googling to find this giant offsite megathread. Even if you don't read through it all, the first post is a well researched timeline of events:

https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/the-third-doctrinal-war-stardock-reiche-ford-and-star-control/134515

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

BobHoward posted:

I'm not aware of one on SA. I got curious after seeing a post or two about it in the SA Star Citizen thread, and did enough googling to find this giant offsite megathread. Even if you don't read through it all, the first post is a well researched timeline of events:

https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/the-third-doctrinal-war-stardock-reiche-ford-and-star-control/134515

Yeah I post there too. I was just wondering about on SA as it's... probably a pretty good topic for the Games forum.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Six AM posted:

How can a cash shop be manipulative

Not directly cash-shop, but how about an adaptive game that manipulates the user experience to drive them into the cash shop, then changes the experience to make it appear as if going to the cash shop was what really made all the difference? :haw:

https://archive.fo/Y3kR6

Alternatively, the cash shop withholds sex from me unless I take out the garbage. That works too.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Yeah, no, gaming sucks now. I'm never playing anything ever again, gently caress that poo poo

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
Lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr. Pickles posted:

Yeah, no, gaming sucks now. I'm never playing anything ever again, gently caress that poo poo

You're not wrong.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
If they could somehow relaunch UO with the original ruleset on a global level I think it would actually work. There are plenty of people who never played it, thus providing "sheep", and having it consolidated to a single server could provide the same population level that the original servers had. I don't even mind the original graphics, that 2d art ages wayyy better than something like original everquest. People always say it's all nostalgia but it's really not, it's a perfect storm of circumstances. You can play on UO Second Age right now but there are like 60 active players and everyone knows everything. If you could check all the boxes of the original game I really do think it would still own just as hard.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You're describing Legends of Aria.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

You're describing Legends of Aria.

or UO Outland, which is cool and good and actually has a lot of players.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I said come in! posted:

You're not wrong.

No seriously, these days I am addicted to a smalltime little pixel mmo game called Aberoth which is mostly populated by OSRS kids and teens and is made and supported by a single developer. It's been going for a decade and had its steam release a few years back. Its a sandboxy full-loot-like rear end in a top hat simulator, but it becomes more and more rewarding the more you commit to it.

The kids love me and they give me free stuff and its hella fun.

I've been tempted to call :goon: on it many times, but the developer is a smart one as the game requires much individual effort by each player before becoming even remotely relevant in pvp regardless of gear, so you can't do goon shenanigans right off the bat with numbers. Anyway thats my story, here's a nice pic and gently caress you
https://imgur.com/lnn49FA

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Should have been a hello neighbor reference

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Seeing as this is free, I went in for a try.

It's total poo poo. Seriously. Just awful, ugly as sin, crap story and INSTANCES EVERYWHERE!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

RagnarokZ posted:

Seeing as this is free, I went in for a try.

It's total poo poo. Seriously. Just awful, ugly as sin, crap story and INSTANCES EVERYWHERE!

Can't have other peoples in my MMOs

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Did you see any other players?

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
I haven't even gotten past page one of this thread, and already I noticed that the skeletal mage model used in the deck example video in the OP is the same one that's used in Project: Gorgon. Aren't developers willing to find artists anymore?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Was it taken straight from the Unity asset store?

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

CoffeeBooze posted:

Did you see any other players?

Yes, a bunch of Outlanders, which is the starting title.

Which means they are the same as me, bored idiots.

You get a free house for just logging in the first time too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

Was it taken straight from the Unity asset store?

Every art asset in Shroud of the Avatar is from the Unity asset store. In a lot of cases, the cash shop uses free unity art assets and the sells them. It's extremely sketchy and scummy.

RagnarokZ posted:

You get a free house for just logging in the first time too.

If I understand it correctly you also need to buy the land to put the house on, which can cost thousands of dollars (real money). To make matters worst, you need permission from an actual player for which there are very few, and they can kick you off their land with no warning.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

so how much of the money do you think thy actually spent making the game?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Does that includes Garriot's salary?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

Gildiss posted:

or UO Outland, which is cool and good and actually has a lot of players.

like/thumbsup/+1

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I logged in and played like 3 days. There are improvements, but it's still the same game and it seems like they're going to focus on Episode 2 now 🤣

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Is it fun as a curiosity at least

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

It is free to play, so check it out and report back!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Verbose posted:

Is it fun as a curiosity at least

not at all

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It's just straight up turds

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Unctuous Cretin posted:

I logged in and played like 3 days. There are improvements, but it's still the same game and it seems like they're going to focus on Episode 2 now 🤣

preordered

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
In episode 2 you can buy ye olde bungalows and a flask of Lord British's special soup

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
There's a pretty good chance if you were on any of even the lowest Kickstarter tiers that you're going to get Episode 2 as well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Will Episode 2 even ever come out? Port has yet to show any content from it that i'm aware of.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Flavor Truck posted:

I haven't even gotten past page one of this thread, and already I noticed that the skeletal mage model used in the deck example video in the OP is the same one that's used in Project: Gorgon. Aren't developers willing to find artists anymore?

project: gorgon has the excuse of being a 2 person team that only costs 40bux for access to all the content and things

also i believe ceo chris spears is the visionary leader needed to turn this project around

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Been playing it for a bit this last month.

It isn't awful, but I really can't give a good reason for playing it longterm other than wanting to keep in touch with other players. The content just isn't there.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Popping in to say that it's a wonderful, intelligent and Very Smart idea for all of you to invest heavily in this game for a mere $7999 each https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085 (scroll down)

Look it even includes this fabluous reward:

"Fine dinner and drinks with Lord British, Darkstarr, & Atos at a location TBD in Austin or NYC."

You know it makes sense. Invest now, if not sooner! Hurry only 7 bundles left!

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

In that picture of donors having dinner with Lord British why are the only two people not wearing fancy clothes also the only two people who arent white? Everybody else gets some goofy costume but he stuck the black lady and the asian dude with basically a burlap bag? What the hell.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Note that the office tour no longer is offered, given that, well.

Unfortunately I really have no clue how the Episode 2 commitment will be met without a cash infusion (much larger than $8000) and getting about 15+ new hires up to speed.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 9, 2019

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Wtf is that picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I imagine it's pretty hard to offer office tours when you don't have an office anymore.