Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I'm going to get my Switch autographed this weekend by Mario and Zelda, is there any kind of pen that will hold up very well on this kind of material?
Those aren't real people dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Charles Martinet and Patricia Summerset to be more specific

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Andrast posted:

By the time the carts are so old that they start failing you might not be able to download the games again

You can copy micro sds 1:1 to a brand new one. It doesn't require any special nintendo only file format or online license verification.

So every 3 years, just swap into the biggest one that $20 buys you. Have a second as backup. You can keep digital going for a very long time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In this hypothetical world where the internet no longer exists and I can’t redownload my games, I guess I’d probably be too busy hunting zombie lizards for sustenance IRL to play video games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The Book of Eli, only instead of trading with merchants for battery acid to turn on an iPod it's a guy trying to find fresh, unlicked Switch carts to play.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

In this hypothetical world where the internet no longer exists and I can’t redownload my games, I guess I’d probably be too busy hunting zombie lizards for sustenance IRL to play video games.

It's more that the eshop for the Switch might not be a thing anymore rather than the internet not existing

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

By the time any of that matters someone will have come up with a solution for it. My GameBoy Color has a microSD card in right now, so in the future there'll be some way to play games on the Switch from stuff stored in 512 petabyte jerkoff crystals or our internal brain storage or whatever.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

By the time any of that matters someone will have come up with a solution for it. My GameBoy Color has a microSD card in right now, so in the future there'll be some way to play games on the Switch from stuff stored in 512 petabyte jerkoff crystals or our internal brain storage or whatever.

Yeah I just emulate old games

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Andrast posted:

By the time the carts are so old that they start failing you might not be able to download the games again

I think the digital/physical thing isn't really about the time when Nintendo stops supporting Switch in any way but rather the idea the physical copy can be damaged. But yeah, that's not a big deal either way.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Charles Martinet and Patricia Summerset to be more specific

Buy a used Switch that's just the tablet for cheap and have them sign that one and store it away for decades. That way it can never fade, only the memory can.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Bust Rodd posted:

You sure have a bleak outlook on 2029. My point was that microsd cards aren't any less prone to failure than switch or 3ds carts and someone else brought up the next logical point that physical games will work beyond whenever Nintendo shuts down the store.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

So that Olympic game's character creator is so detailed, it asks you not to make anything offensive before starting.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm going to get my Switch autographed this weekend by Mario and Zelda, is there any kind of pen that will hold up very well on this kind of material?

A silver metallic sharpie would do nicely, though, I would suggest bringing your Switch Dock as well so they can sign the front. No matter what they sign with on the Switch it's going to start rubbing away with use especially if you're taking it out of the dock a lot and putting it in a bag where it's going to rub against material as you travel. The dock though won't see that much wear so the signatures will keep more easily.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Port every game ever made to Switch

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

The issue with digital isn't hardware fail rate, it's access to the media you bought after the company decides to take servers offline after hardware failure.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shadow225 posted:

The issue with digital isn't hardware fail rate, it's access to the media you bought after the company decides to take servers offline after hardware failure.

Yeah, I own digital games for sure, but I'd much rather have a physical copy for this exact reasoning.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I have a hacked Switch with EmuNAND set up so I can run backups and stuff there without worrying about getting banned and SysNAND for when I want to play legit games online. There aren't many times I want to play an online cart game, so I'm good and covered and have my physicals backed up digitally.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the only physical Switch games I own are Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Bayonetta 2, Octopath, and DKC Tropical Freeze. I try not to own anything digitally that's on the larger side of things i.e. > 6gigs except for Smash which has zero reason to ever leave my machine

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

You all act like the games on this system won't get :filez: like every other one ever a decade from now. Come on.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Only idiots buy their media in a method different from the one I use!

You idiots.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I bought DKCTF for $45 shipped and then I sold it for $45 shipped.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ColdPie posted:

I bought DKCTF for $45 shipped and then I sold it for $45 shipped.

The art of the deal baby

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shadow225 posted:

By the time the Switch eshop gets shut down and any normal Switch loses access to its digital library, you will be able to hack it and put roms of all your games on it.

It wont matter. There is no Nintendo console that wont get completely hacked and backed up.

Hell, there are community projects to stand servers up to continue to play Mario Kart Wii in TYOOL 2019

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

One of my good friends feels this way; no matter what, he absolutely prefers physical over digital, and only made a brief exception a few years ago when a huge number of Star Wars games went on a crazy sale on Steam.

I'm the total opposite and can't imagine not preferring having everything on my Switch at all times :shrug: I sort of get that whole 'you don't own digital things', but I'm fairly sure Nintendo aren't just going to render my games useless any time soon.

There will come a point in the future where your Switch will die and you will be unable to download all your games to another Switch. I mean, aren't we already at that point with the Wii and it's 2 generations ago? I'm sure we'll all be playing our Super Switch 3D Deluxe by the time that happens, but Nintendo has given me zero faith in their online infrastructure.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/_inside/status/1148382064179326978

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The server that holds your digital game license also holds the v1.1 patch that fixed the game freezing bug after the tutorial.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dehry posted:

The server that holds your digital game license also holds the v1.1 patch that fixed the game freezing bug after the tutorial.

That's why homebrew, emulators and piracy are incredibly good things for old games

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

By the time the Switch eshop gets shut down and any normal Switch loses access to its digital library, you will be able to hack it and put roms of all your games on it.

It wont matter. There is no Nintendo console that wont get completely hacked and backed up.

Hell, there are community projects to stand servers up to continue to play Mario Kart Wii in TYOOL 2019

You can already do this now...

Dehry posted:

...and download the updates.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mega64 posted:

Only idiots buy their media in a method different from the one I use!

You idiots.

Hey, I buy my Switch games as binary code in the form of lines of cocaine, just as God intended.

Truly, the perfect console.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

LODGE NORTH posted:

You can already do this now...

...and download the updates.

Yeah, pretty much every Switch release is already out there and available to be pirated. The Switch library isn't disappearing, one way or another.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The art of the deal baby

That was uncalled for.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Posting about warez on page 1337

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HenryEx posted:

Same writer in both games :shrug:

i could tell given that the second dialogue is with some receptionist about cosplay. obviously he's Shinju from Ex Vs X – Sakura reDUX 2, any anime patrician would know that

DLC Inc posted:

ah so that's why Katana Zero's ending isn't even finished lol

:sbahj:

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 9, 2019

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I can pop out my SD card and make a quick backup of all my digital games, and if somehow I lost my sd card I would still have the backup, and could then make another backup, whereas if I lost a cart I would 100% have to go get another copy of the game. Though the situation has never come up for me either way I like digital for that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Shovel Knight fans: there is a kickstarter for a board game right now. I am not involved or endorsing but propeller rat miniatures are loving rad

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pandacultgames/shovel-knight-dungeon-duels?ref=discovery_category_newest

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oh boy, traditional tedious Medusa-head platforming section in Bloodstained. Time to sit down and plow through it.

Almost there...

The software has closed unexpectedly.

Sigh.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Jawdins posted:

Posting about warez on page 1337

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, pretty much every Switch release is already out there and available to be pirated. The Switch library isn't disappearing, one way or another.

Yeah, but nobody cares. If I wanted to just abandon all my physical games because some day I'll just illegally download it, i would have done that in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Bloop posted:

Shovel Knight fans: there is a kickstarter for a board game right now. I am not involved or endorsing but propeller rat miniatures are loving rad

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pandacultgames/shovel-knight-dungeon-duels?ref=discovery_category_newest

shouldn't they get that final dlc out before doing a new kickstarter?