Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

vision zero not looking too hot with 3 deaths in a week and 15 on the year just for cyclists forget about pedestrians

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

do more people in the city die on foot or on bikes?

e- there’s this, it’s not really clear though. https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/06/05/road-fatalities-are-way-up-yes-thats-an-asterisk/

I stopped riding a bike a while back after too many friends got badly injured. then a coworker got doored/killed by a truck. gently caress these fake bike lanes.

Snowy has issued a correction as of 11:52 on Jul 3, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

theres like 70 total fatalities this year

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hey maybe this will get drivers to be a little more sympathetic to cyclists

and maybe a monkey will crawl out of my rear end

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i walk my bike to the park cause i know every driver thinks bike riders are scum and subhuman and that they can play chicken with them

then in the park the lovely old men in spandex going 40mph on 10,000 dollar bikes treat me the same way while they are screaming at people crossing the park road in a crosswalk with the proper signal for daring to slow them down.

if only the segway revolution had come to pass :allears:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Real hurthling! posted:

then in the park the lovely old men in spandex going 40mph on 10,000 dollar bikes treat me the same way while they are screaming at people crossing the park road in a crosswalk with the proper signal for daring to slow them down.

speed bumps for all crosswalks

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lmao queens

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol what the hell

take my power caban

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

holy gently caress katz has released a victory statement. up by 20 or 30 votes. manual recount time.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Shageletic posted:

lol what the hell

take my power caban

This is 100% a loving screw job what the gently caress

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

goddamn is this real

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy
i knew this was gonna happen, and so did the queens democratic party when they released that statement where they were like “no matter who wins, we intend to support the DA”

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

gently caress this

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Looks like Katz threw out 2,300 ballots in order to end up 20 votes ahead. Serious trickery going on here.

https://twitter.com/ZackFinkNews/status/1146599577405001728?s=19

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lmao

happy 4th everybody love to celebrate our glorious Democracy

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ali_Najmi/status/1146772026167898113

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

katz was within her rights to hold out as much as caban is for crying foul, unless she knew this was coming. proper solution: dissolve the city BoE. they do absolutely nothing worthwhile, and given that Cuomo wants to control everything, i'm surprised this hasn't been something that's gotten traction

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

this seems important:
https://twitter.com/es_indivisible/status/1146842256151855104
also there is a protest going on now until 2pm at the BOE in forest hills (118-35 Queens Blvd, Forest Hills, NY 11375)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

honestly the odds are so stacked i'm just gonna give up, take the L, and wait for the next opportunity. don't be like me

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The odds will always be this stacked. it’s not an excuse.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's too late to press Cuomo to sign this bill to solve this particular problem anyway, unless it's somehow retroactive.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

what i will do is call my assemblyman (Robert Carroll) who's been a very isolated voice on taking electoral reforms as far as they can go. my three issues:
  • prevent candidates from switching parties for the general to ones that they weren't eligible for in the primary
  • dissolve the city BoE, they're completely redundant and a patronage pit
  • remove all partisanship from the state BoE (which is easier said than done and isn't something that's the case in a lot of states)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/vwang3/status/1147189714266537986

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

This is really insane.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

we kinda deserve a nonzero amount of bad things to happen to us for re-electing cuomo to a third term, even though things have been much better than i could have imagined overall

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Holy poo poo!

Jeffrey Epstein Arrested For Sex Trafficking of Minors: Sources

I hope he's finally getting his comeuppance, and that everyone else involved will fall with him.

Edit:

I do hope this carries some special significance:

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1147683162526560262
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1147683175101075457

People are tweeting back with Dershowitz, but public corruption makes me think Cy Vance.

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 02:54 on Jul 7, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

trump

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Holy poo poo!

Jeffrey Epstein Arrested For Sex Trafficking of Minors: Sources

I hope he's finally getting his comeuppance, and that everyone else involved will fall with him.

Edit:

I do hope this carries some special significance:

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1147683162526560262
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1147683175101075457

People are tweeting back with Dershowitz, but public corruption makes me think Cy Vance.

PCU points to the Miami USA’s office and the original sweetheart deal Epstine got - Which s brokered by current Labor Secretary Acosta

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

it's nuts that this has been in suspense this long

recount starts this week I'm assuming?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i've gotten angry at how feckless NYC journos are in the past, mainly as it relates to the cuomo/de blasio double standard. something to keep your eye out for: those same people are going gaga for Corey Johnson. i'd argue that he's even better at playing the press like a fiddle than cuomo. whereas the governor is very coarse and crude, johnson manipulates through charm and a curated social media presence. example: he was spotted dancing at Pride, as one would normally do at such an occasion as an out gay man, and everyone was saying how mayoral he looked. one of them even said they'd read an article about his FitBit habits

mark my words, he's going to have a very easy road to becoming mayor

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Gunshow Poophole posted:

it's nuts that this has been in suspense this long

recount starts this week I'm assuming?
tomorrow

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Epstein thing very good, Caban/Katz thing very bad. This has been some pangstrom analysis please don't share without crediting the source.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

we ain't hearing the final results of the Queens DA race for a good while, i'll bet

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

in other news, Nadler (my congressman) has a challenger and she's raising a billion red flags for me

quote:

The fledgling campaign of Lindsey Boylan, a former state economic development official, raised $265,000 in the second quarter of the year

Boylan has also landed a big gun, in convincing Hillary Clinton campaign veteran Peter Daou not only to skip mounting his own challenge to Nadler, but to work with her.

Even before progressives were growing frustrated at Nadler's deferential approach to President Trump, Boylan said she was considering a run thanks to the energy of the MeToo movement

"Particularly as a woman and as a mom, there couldn't be a more important moment in time to get a seat at the table," Boylan said. "This district hasn't been represented by a woman in almost 50 years, not since Bella Abzug, and this is supposed to be the progressive heart of our country."

Boylan traces her political inspiration to another woman, Clinton, who ran for Senate in New York when Boylan was still in high school in Virginia. She said Clinton inspired her to go to Wellesley and to become class president, as Clinton did before her.

Now she's tapping family, friends and women for most of her cash support.
given all of that, i don't trust her professed progressive values for a goddamn second. it's also not a well-kept secret that a San Francisco (of course) billionaire has a vested interest in seeing Trump impeached and wants to spend money on candidates who want to do just that. maybe he should focus on Pelosi in his own backyard and get the gently caress out of mine

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

get that OUT of my face posted:

in other news, Nadler (my congressman) has a challenger and she's raising a billion red flags for me

given all of that, i don't trust her professed progressive values for a goddamn second. it's also not a well-kept secret that a San Francisco (of course) billionaire has a vested interest in seeing Trump impeached and wants to spend money on candidates who want to do just that. maybe he should focus on Pelosi in his own backyard and get the gently caress out of mine

he's got more than one: check out Amanda frankel instead, the only red flag I've seen so far is that her website mentions blockchain once

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

he's got more than one: check out Amanda frankel instead, the only red flag I've seen so far is that her website mentions blockchain once
they mentioned her and someone else in the article, but they don't have the traction or money that this entitled snob has. i'll look into her just because i ought to

tbh i don't have too much of a problem with Nadler, he's better than most on civil liberties and pushing impeachment on his own makes this a real "damned if you do, damned if you don't" deal. i certainly like him more than Carolyn Maloney (has one confirmed challenger) or Yvette Clarke (the same guy who narrowly lost to her a year ago is going for the rematch)

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 15:57 on Jul 9, 2019

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
my "favorite" Caban/Katz take from a certain type of NYC liberal is "well, I voted for Caban, but now some of her supporters are accusing the Katz campaign of fraud so I'm regretting it"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

my "favorite" Caban/Katz take from a certain type of NYC liberal is "well, I voted for Caban, but now some of her supporters are accusing the Katz campaign of fraud so I'm regretting it"
there was some Daily News article saying that Katz was more aggressive in getting absentee ballots counted and therefore there's no corruption. these are not mutually exclusive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I mean, every 20 vote margin absentee reversal is shocking, I guess, but absentee ballots breaking hard for Katz definitely is not why it’s shocking. Caban’s campaign surged late to begin with, and then you have the demographics of just who votes absentee in a New York primary election (at all, and especially...) in June.

Put another way; I find the accusations of ballot tampering extremely suspect. They seem pretty baseless other than the generalized aura of suspicion that establishment politicians attract in events like this, and there’s just honestly no reason for that. The cause for outrage is the fight over acceptance of affidavit ballots, etc.; that’s where the margin is in this race. Not in some NC style mass absentee fraud scheme.

Chevy Slyme has issued a correction as of 19:07 on Jul 9, 2019