Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Iamgoofball posted:

i get that, and it's definitely a good thing to keep on top of because racism and appropriation is bad for obvious loving reasons, but the left eating itself over it is counter-productive, especially when it's pretty clearly in the GOP's best interests for us to eat ourselves over it

definitely tackle it, but i think that whether warren thinks ancestry.com results are legit is an issue better solved when the threat of a 2-term trump presidency is eliminated

we've got capitalism to kill, let's not get caught up on the details that we let it escape one more time when we can iron out those same details later after trump's been blown the gently caress out

"We've got capitalism to kill" he says while defending Elizabeth "capitalist to my bones" Warren.

Also "let's just ignore racism and appropriation when it's someone on team D that's doing it because Trump" is a pretty horrible take, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Iamgoofball posted:

like poo poo last time i popped in this thread there was a guy unironically calling for us to vote for trump if bernie didn't get the nomination, like wtf man

yeah crazy cloud owns ty for noticing

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

my bad!

school districts are separate governments unto themselves with the power of taxation. if you eliminated the district system you could have a more equitable share of the taxes instead of rich people having incredible public schools while poor folk have lovely schools.

I mean yes I am all for a complete re-do of how we fund our public schools, god knows it is a travesty as it is. However, even equitably funded public schools would still be segregated, simply due to the fact that American cities are already insanely segregated. Busing would still be necessary.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Cerebral Bore posted:

"We've got capitalism to kill" he says while defending Elizabeth "capitalist to my bones" Warren.

Also "let's just ignore racism and appropriation when it's someone on team D that's doing it because Trump" is a pretty horrible take, hth.

what the gently caress else do you expect me to do, vote for trump if bernie doesn't get in? gently caress that, i'm voting D regardless of who's on that ballet

i'd really really really prefer it be bernie but i can't in good conscience support trump in any way, shape, or form

warren's a capitalist still but gently caress man it's not trump

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

you couldn't even do busing anymore because americans are more segregated than ever.

Yep. The suburban school districts are the bussing-proofing white people created rather than have "those people" in their kids' schools.

EDIT: My daughter can choose to bus to any of 15+ city schools... all of which are "majority minority" and have 50%+ of kids living below the poverty line. The district 2 miles from us is one of the best in the country and is 98% white (they seem to be okay with doctors of Indian descent there)

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 9, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

How are u posted:

I mean yes I am all for a complete re-do of how we fund our public schools, god knows it is a travesty as it is. However, even equitably funded public schools would still be segregated, simply due to the fact that American cities are already insanely segregated. Busing would still be necessary.

Also equitable funding starting now would still be massively disproportionate to need because historically underfunded areas need more help to catch up to baseline.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are there any ways to integrate schools other than busing

redistribution of housing

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Cerebral Bore posted:

voting for trump is an equally horrible take but that seems to fly here so sky's the loving limit apparently

racism loving sucks but if my choices are "person who was racist with an ancestry.com result" and "person who is actively making concentration camps RIGHT NOW" im going with the ancestry.com person while disagreeing with their racist ancestry.com result usage

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

mormonpartyboat posted:

yeah crazy cloud owns ty for noticing

if you're admitting to planning to vote for trump even if bernie doesn't get the nomination, i think you should really think about what bernie would actually want you to do in that situation

i'm 100% positive that it is not "vote for trump because i didn't get the nomination"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Iamgoofball posted:

what the gently caress else do you expect me to do, vote for trump if bernie doesn't get in? gently caress that, i'm voting D regardless of who's on that ballet

i'd really really really prefer it be bernie but i can't in good conscience support trump in any way, shape, or form

warren's a capitalist still but gently caress man it's not trump

This is the primary thread, pal.

vivazomo
Nov 4, 2010

Iamgoofball posted:

we've got capitalism to kill, let's not get caught up on the details that we let it escape one more time when we can iron out those same details later after trump's been blown the gently caress out

Does Warren have a plan to kill capitalism? I'm looking at her website and see a a plan to "level the playing field for entrepreneurs" and something called "the new American economic patriotism" but I can't find anything about dismantling capitalism.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Cerebral Bore posted:

This is the primary thread, pal.

yeah, i figured that we leftists would understand that protest-voting for a fascist is loving stupid

i hate capitalists but once again, if my choice is a literal fascist aiming for a dictatorship and yet another milquetoast neoliberal capitalist, im going to take the capitalist because it means i'm not going to get shot for being gay

obviously, i'd really rather vote for bernie and once my paycheck gets here for this week i'll be chipping another :10bux: at his campaign but gently caress you if you think bernie wants you to vote for trump if he doesn't win

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Iamgoofball posted:

i think you should really think about what bernie would actually want you to do in that situation

i dont really care what that war criminal thinks

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

vivazomo posted:

Does Warren have a plan to kill capitalism? I'm looking at her website and see a a plan to "level the playing field for entrepreneurs" and something called "the new American economic patriotism" but I can't find anything about dismantling capitalism.

i want capitalism gone, does warren? probably not, she's a capitalist, but when the options are biden, the cop, bunch of other milquetoast neoliberals, and other equally rephrehensible fuckers, warren seems to be the least reprehensible out of the bunch and at least also have student loan debt waiving on their list of things they want to do

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lumpy posted:

Yep. The suburban school districts are the bussing-proofing white people created rather than have "those people" in their kids' schools.

EDIT: My daughter can choose to bus to any of 15+ city schools... all of which are "majority minority" and have 50%+ of kids living below the poverty line. The district 2 miles from us is one of the best in the country and is 98% white (they seem to be okay with doctors of Indian descent there)

my school district is so white the only black kids were the children of a former celtics player and the ones brought in to live in the area from NYC for the A Better Chance program.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

mormonpartyboat posted:

i dont really care what that war criminal thinks

so what the gently caress do you want then, are you just going to vote for trump then? because if you're going to vote for trump, then i think you're on the wrong forums, you should try that gab website i think it's more up your alley

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

desegregate the country

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Iamgoofball posted:

then i think you're on the wrong forums

no this is the primary thread, which is the right place to say bernie voted for the 9/11 aumf and the wrong place to argue about the general

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Iamgoofball posted:

the alt right's favorite flavor of reasonably attractive twink boy toy of the month

uh

what?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Iamgoofball posted:

so what the gently caress do you want then, are you just going to vote for trump then? because if you're going to vote for trump, then i think you're on the wrong forums, you should try that gab website i think it's more up your alley

Main Paineframe asked the thread to stop posting about who you'd vote for in the general, you should probably follow that rule.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

i think that yang is popular with the extremely online college republicans(since that is his only base at this point) because they're all in the closet and he's a young attractive guy
a whole lotta other candidates have offered more "free poo poo" that wouldn't immediately just get nullified by capitalism after everyone adjusts prices to account for an extra 1K

the neetbux or whatever they're loving calling it at the alt right camp is just a convenient excuse for them

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

King of Solomon posted:

Main Paineframe asked the thread to stop posting about who you'd vote for in the general, you should probably follow that rule.

yeah sure alright

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Iamgoofball posted:

if you want trump to lose and you dont care which not-trump wins you clearly shouldnt be supporting warren and by all evidence should be backing biden

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Shear Modulus posted:

if you want trump to lose and you dont care which not-trump wins you clearly shouldnt be supporting warren and by all evidence should be backing biden

biden seems to be a one trick pony and getting out fundraised by beto(i think, i need to go check who it was again) shows that the money isn't betting on biden either

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Iamgoofball posted:

biden seems to be a one trick pony and getting out fundraised by beto(i think, i need to go check who it was again) shows that the money isn't betting on biden either

money isnt votes though

e: he was outraised last quarter by butt who is even more doomed in an election matchup with trump than warren is

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Shear Modulus posted:

If you want Trump to lose you should probably stop relying on the cargo cult empiricism that so much of contemporary political science is predicated on.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

LinYutang posted:

Emerson, which has been a friendly poll to Bernie, now shows him behind in the young vote:

https://twitter.com/EmersonPolling/status/1148570990441463813?s=19

Thank you for yet another poll crosstab with an MoE of 10%. It's really fascinating to hear that Joe Biden is slightly ahead (or depending on the actual error slightly behind, or way ahead, or way behind) with 18-29 year olds. Very useful information.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Shear Modulus posted:

money isnt votes though

e: he was outraised last quarter by butt who is even more doomed in an election matchup with trump than warren is

when it comes down to it i'm not even sure if trump is beatable when it comes to an election matchup unless you have someone who can be as much of a douchebag publicly as he can
bernie might be able to out-yell him but he looks too drat old for trump to not capitalize on it, even though he himself is only a little younger than bernie
biden has too many pictures of him looking like a total creeper, no way trump would walk away from that easy of an opportunity for a riff
warren's got the pocohontas insult poo poo already going, and he started that way ahead of time too
pete's got the word butt in his name, he's never living that down

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Yeah but that would at minimum require some form of economic justice in the form of subsidized housing and also these things not being intentionally designed to be horrible hellzones in the middle of ghettos that we just shove increasing amounts of poor people and police into. Not to mention jobs that aren't poo poo/pay a living wage, a union to enforce labor protections that supposedly keep your boss from firing you for the color of your skin, banks not denying you a loan because of the color of your skin or your past history of being "laid off" from work, a social safety net to protect you when that does happen, etc. But that's more of a long term solution and, worse, dirty communist talk.

tl;dr

Shear Modulus posted:

desegregate the country

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Iamgoofball posted:

when it comes down to it i'm not even sure if trump is beatable when it comes to an election matchup unless you have someone who can be as much of a douchebag publicly as he can
bernie might be able to out-yell him but he looks too drat old for trump to not capitalize on it, even though he himself is only a little younger than bernie
biden has too many pictures of him looking like a total creeper, no way trump would walk away from that easy of an opportunity for a riff
warren's got the pocohontas insult poo poo already going, and he started that way ahead of time too
pete's got the word butt in his name, he's never living that down

yeah which is why the country needed michael "basta" avenatti

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah which is why the country needed michael "basta" avenatti

we just need to make one of those fortnite streamers the dem nominee, trump won't know any of his vocab and get very confused and angry on stage

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Iamgoofball posted:

i think that yang is popular with the extremely online college republicans(since that is his only base at this point) because they're all in the closet and he's a young attractive guy
a whole lotta other candidates have offered more "free poo poo" that wouldn't immediately just get nullified by capitalism after everyone adjusts prices to account for an extra 1K

the neetbux or whatever they're loving calling it at the alt right camp is just a convenient excuse for them

This is... a take, I guess.

Lol Biden defenders:

https://twitter.com/kevinmkruse/status/1148608946619473921?s=21

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
It was always leading up to this, wasn't it? Motherfucker.

https://twitter.com/TomSteyer/status/1148579342680637440

Proud to say I never fell for this billionaire's "Impeach to save America!" horseshit bait and switch lie trap.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VH4Ever posted:

It was always leading up to this, wasn't it? Motherfucker.

https://twitter.com/TomSteyer/status/1148579342680637440

Proud to say I never fell for this billionaire's "Impeach to save America!" horseshit bait and switch lie trap.

I gather you haven't been following Steyer for long. It wasn't a "bait and switch lie trap" he just constantly decides he has to Do Something then proceeds to get owned.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

vivazomo posted:

I know you're the current thread target idiot but since you brought this up again let me say this again: NO CANDIDATE RUNNING AS A DEMOCRAT IN THE PRIMARY HAS ANY SUCH PLAN. None. Nope, not even Bernie.

I'm glad we had this little chat.

Trabisnikof posted:

I gather you haven't been following Steyer for long. It wasn't a "bait and switch lie trap" he just constantly decides he has to Do Something then proceeds to get owned.

Yes I have. I live in CA.

The "bait and switch" was the idea he really, really only cared about Impeachment For The Good Of The Nation, everyone! Really, this isn't about me!

....Btw I'm now asking for your vote.

That trap.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Because Bernie is calling out the ruling class as a whole, and ISN'T EVEN A DEMOCRAT, he's gonna be uniquely able to respond to Trumps "If I had done anything wrong, why didn't the Democrats impeach me?" message

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VH4Ever posted:

The "bait and switch" was the idea he really, really only cared about Impeachment For The Good Of The Nation, everyone! Really, this isn't about me!

....Btw I'm now asking for your vote.

That trap.

That doesn't sound like a trap at all. Like do you think it was a "trap" all the other times he ran for office or declared he was spending big bucks on some issue?

By that standard every single other candidate engaged in the "trap" of discussing an important issue before announcing their candidacy.

Dude's going to get owned and I don't see how supporting Impeachment is some sort of trickery.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Trabisnikof posted:

That doesn't sound like a trap at all. Like do you think it was a "trap" all the other times he ran for office or declared he was spending big bucks on some issue?

By that standard every single other candidate engaged in the "trap" of discussing an important issue before announcing their candidacy.

Dude's going to get owned and I don't see how supporting Impeachment is some sort of trickery.

Let's just say "gently caress all billionaires forever especially when they run for President" then and leave it at that. I'm comfortable painting with a broad brush here.

EDIT

vvvvvvvvvvvvvv I disagree, Bernie. gently caress him too. Billionaire. vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1148665031896260608

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Welp, Bernie’s cancelled. Guess I’m voting Trump