Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Canuckistan posted:

In Canada, the laws vary from province to province, but most allow you to keep the roadkill for personal use but you may have to get the OK from a wildlife officer first.

When my buddy hit a deer in Ontario, the police that showed up asked him if he wanted to keep the roadkill. When he declined, the police called up a friend who came right out and field dressed the carcass right there. The deer was cleaned up and gone before the tow truck showed up. Apparently you need to be very quick prepping the carcass or the meat turns black from the blunt force trauma.

The blunt force trauma ruins big portions of the meat because the blood vessels burst, you have to cut out the meat soup to get to the good meat. A lot of roadkill doesnt leave that much edible meat, and theres nothing worse than meat soup mixed together with burst guts, and I draw the line at pregnant rosdkills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

xergm posted:

As someone who has experienced the effectiveness of full-face helmets first-hand, I will never understand people who don't wear them.

Having a face and a mouthful of teeth is pretty nice.

Just last week I saw a guy open up his side bag and toss his helmet in just as he was crossing over the MO-KS line. (MO is a helmet state)

I used to work with a guy who had lost his license and thought 'take the plates off my crotch rocket, always wear a full helmet and run if I see a cop' would keep him out of jail indefinitely.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

The only reason I survived my wreck was the full helmet. I blasted the back of my head off the pavement 3 times hard, not to mention the skidding. I don't gently caress around with my helmet choice or any damage found on them.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I was briefly room mates with a moron that bought a bike before getting his license. Took delivery, no registration, no insurance. Threw on his brand new gear and helmet, took off down the main drag that we lived on, and 2 blocks later dropped the bike under a police car. The three of us room mates that weren't utter morons watched the whole thing.

Had to pony up a couple extra bucks that month for rent split 3 ways instead of 4, on account of Steve not being liquid or out of jail enough to pay his portion.

Ahh, Alberta Oilfield money, where the work is hard and the heads are harder, being made of rocks and all.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Buttcoin purse posted:

I hope that's all the bodies she's seen on the road? :ohdear:

Hardly. I-4 is seriously one of the most dangerous interstates. Those were just the most gruesome.

We both passed by one where there was a sheet on the inside and outside of the windshield.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

PathAsc posted:

I don't gently caress around with my helmet choice or any damage found on them.

Old crashed helmets do make good cubicle decorations though.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

iospace posted:

Because there was supposedly a study at one point (no one can find this study) that putting a full face helmet on increases the chances of your neck snapping if you land on your head.

Someone always has an anecdote about how they knew someone who knew someone broke their neck in motorcycle accident. "The doctors said they would have been fine if only they hadn't been wearing a helmet."

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
I'm visiting my home town in Northern Ireland. Around this time of year certain areas like to celebrate decades of sectarian violence and civil war their heritage by building large bonfires.

This one looks finished

There's another one about 100 yards away

All those blue pallets :qq:

How to get to the top? Climb into a dumpster

The chances that those people haven been drinking all day is definitely > 0%

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They say my friend would have survived that crash if he had been sitting on the roof, operating the car through a series of ropes and pulleys, and then been catapulted through the open window of this mattress warehouse. So really, seatbelts kill more than they save.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

xergm posted:

I use my old crashed helmet when I'm sharpening the lawnmower blade

Since it sits in the garage I'm always checking it for spiders, though

I will forever have the image burned in my brain of skidding down the asphault on my helmeted face, watching the road markers whizz by through the visor

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

sinky posted:

I'm visiting my home town in Northern Ireland. Around this time of year certain areas like to celebrate decades of sectarian violence and civil war their heritage by building large bonfires.

This one looks finished

There's another one about 100 yards away

All those blue pallets :qq:

How to get to the top? Climb into a dumpster

I don't see any Aggies around so that ups the safety percentage a bit.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

starkebn posted:

Does a Harley-Davidson even operate if the rider has a full face helmet? I don't think I've ever seen someone wearing one while on a Harley.

No, because you need to wear the skull bandanna over your face.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

chitoryu12 posted:

Hardly. I-4 is seriously one of the most dangerous interstates. Those were just the most gruesome.

We both passed by one where there was a sheet on the inside and outside of the windshield.

I couldn't think of where I-4 was so I googled it and this is the top result . Happened yesterday.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

xergm posted:

Yep, and as a training tool. Or for my kids to play space marine with in the basement.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I did the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's course at my local technical school. It got me out of taking the road test and got me a little deal on insurance. Plus I learned a lot. Anyway, the second morning on the course this 23ish year old showed up and with scrapes on his helmet way worse than this and a scuffed up jacket. Dumbass bought, rode and crashed his bike before he was licensed and insured. I hope he learned his lesson.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Thomamelas posted:

I don't see any Aggies around so that ups the safety percentage a bit.

I just want you to know that this joke didn't go unappreciated. :texas:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

deoju posted:

I did the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's course at my local technical school. It got me out of taking the road test and got me a little deal on insurance. Plus I learned a lot. Anyway, the second morning on the course this 23ish year old showed up and with scrapes on his helmet way worse than this and a scuffed up jacket. Dumbass bought, rode and crashed his bike before he was licensed and insured. I hope he learned his lesson.

Sounds like that lesson got reinforced

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

untzthatshit posted:

I couldn't think of where I-4 was so I googled it and this is the top result . Happened yesterday.

It's literally the most dangerous highway in America. Average of 1.25 fatalities per mile.

I think it's because it goes through all the big tourist areas of Central Florida from Daytona to Tampa, with the deadliest stretch of I-4 being the one surrounding the theme parks. You get a ton of tourists and foreigners with their own style of driving and level of testing for their license all mixed into one group, plus the local commuters.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

It's literally the most dangerous highway in America. Average of 1.25 fatalities per mile.

I think it's because it goes through all the big tourist areas of Central Florida from Daytona to Tampa, with the deadliest stretch of I-4 being the one surrounding the theme parks. You get a ton of tourists and foreigners with their own style of driving and level of testing for their license all mixed into one group, plus the local commuters.

"Driving style". You don't have to pussy-foot around. Dumb motherfuckers, sociopaths, and people that bought their loving license. Then there's the Quebecers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

madeintaipei posted:

"Driving style". You don't have to pussy-foot around. Dumb motherfuckers, sociopaths, and people that bought their loving license. Then there's the Quebecers.

I travel around the country a lot so there's definitely different driving styles. People from states with no right turn on red will adamantly refuse to do so when it's legal, no matter how much they got honked at. People in Atlanta and NYC will tear rear end and accelerate and decelerate quickly to squeeze through whatever gaps they can afford. Los Angeles folk loving speed.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

chitoryu12 posted:

Los Angeles folk loving speed.

Los Angeles is so dense with hell traffic that the opportunity to actually get a car up to highway cruising speed is a rare treat. If I lived there I'd speed like a demon whenever I could too (approximately ten minutes every six months, the rest of your driving time is gridlocked).

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

sinky posted:

part of the strangest thing about belfast was the just... open middens of wreckage left over from these things. they're just like... landfills for the rest of the year?

not that I hung out long enough in shankill or crumlin to really meet or talk to anyone

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

I travel around the country a lot so there's definitely different driving styles. People from states with no right turn on red will adamantly refuse to do so when it's legal, no matter how much they got honked at. People in Atlanta and NYC will tear rear end and accelerate and decelerate quickly to squeeze through whatever gaps they can afford. Los Angeles folk loving speed.

Same for different countries. Before I was stationed on Okinawa, I was a nice Wisconsin boy who learned on quiet county roads, and I'd put my blinker on and wait politely for someone to leave a gap if I had to switch lanes or merge in heavy bumper-to-bumper traffic. On Okinawa, if you wait for someone to leave a gap for you to merge, you will be sitting there literally forever, or until traffic ends (also never going to happen). So you have to internalize the fact that nobody's going to purposely drive in to you, and just stick your nose out into the lane to make your own gap, and then nudge your way the rest of the way into the lane.

Since Okinawa I've never had any problems getting into a lane when I need to :newlol:

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

madeintaipei posted:

Yo, the quebecois we send your way are the ones that go to Florida.
It's like you exporting Budweiser up north... we keep the best to ourselves ok?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/wurp/status/1148655341485342724?s=19

Tweet bc gently caress mobile imgur

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Gunshow Poophole posted:

part of the strangest thing about belfast was the just... open middens of wreckage left over from these things. they're just like... landfills for the rest of the year?

not that I hung out long enough in shankill or crumlin to really meet or talk to anyone

It'll probably smoulder for a few weeks then they'll clear up the remains, leaving a blackened crater. Until next year.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

chitoryu12 posted:

also it's old people

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Bronze Fonz posted:

Yo, the quebecois we send your way are the ones that go to Florida.
It's like you exporting Budweiser up north... we keep the best to ourselves ok?

I knew it! I loving knew it!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

RandomFerret posted:

Harley davidsons barely operate at all

The bike comes with a free gallon jug of Loctite.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

xergm posted:

I'm now imagining some sort of airbag belt to protect geriatric hips from falls.

My old boss invented that in 2002!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Stop trying to keep boomers alive, you fucks.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Of course it's a fuckin' Swift truck

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They should really start putting their competitor's logos on their stuff

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

What's interesting is that I-4 doesn't even make the top 5 from another chart.
https://www.valuepenguin.com/2018/06/most-dangerous-highways-united-states#top-5-dangerous-highways-us

Or top for Florida from this one:
https://www.geotab.com/the-most-dangerous-highways-in-america/

Makes top 7 here though: https://bestlifeonline.com/dangerous-roads-in-america/

In conclusion, most dangerous highway is a land of contrasts.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Powershift posted:

Stop trying to keep boomers alive, you fucks.

Good old Heights drive claims another overheight truck.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

starkebn posted:

Does a Harley-Davidson even operate if the rider has a full face helmet? I don't think I've ever seen someone wearing one while on a Harley.

Driver must also be wearing 2 or more harley logos in order for bike to start. Also, they're fueled by total contempt for any non-harley bike.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Between off the road trucks named "Swift" and hitting a sign that says "Height" I'm lolling at this page

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Same for different countries. Before I was stationed on Okinawa, I was a nice Wisconsin boy who learned on quiet county roads, and I'd put my blinker on and wait politely for someone to leave a gap if I had to switch lanes or merge in heavy bumper-to-bumper traffic. On Okinawa, if you wait for someone to leave a gap for you to merge, you will be sitting there literally forever, or until traffic ends (also never going to happen). So you have to internalize the fact that nobody's going to purposely drive in to you, and just stick your nose out into the lane to make your own gap, and then nudge your way the rest of the way into the lane.

Since Okinawa I've never had any problems getting into a lane when I need to :newlol:

you may have been ready for Okinawa if you were a nice Wisconsin boy from Milwaukee

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Always use your wheel chocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I really hope that is a wood fired pizza oven. If so gently caress the osha, that dude rules.