Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I stopped reading when the robots stopped being part of the setting and became everything.I want to know about what happened to the humans. They're loving immortal robots who can switch bodies at will, gently caress'em
I think what makes QC seem really dumb to me is that the robots aren't really robots? Like in setting they are post-singularity whatever thingies and consequently there's nothing... robotic or constructed about them any more? They're just regular cast members drawn in funny colors with different super powers than the ones that the original cast have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Precambrian posted:

That's pretty much the basic arc of Cerberus, but what makes it particularly memorable is how hailed Sims was as a creative voice. In '97, no less than Alan Moore called Cerberus the "hydrogen" of modern comics, in that it was the fundamental element that everything else was based on. Sims was really respected for an actual maturity in his writing (ironically, often for how many of his female characters are defined by their agency and the pathos of their struggles against societal misogyny) that came out of nowhere and led to a lot of 80s and 90s comics culture really celebrating him on the record. Which became incredibly hilarious when he got divorced and the brainworms he'd kept off the page got their day in the sun.

Yeah if you were into independent comics in the 80s then Cerebus was massively influential, and there was a good long run in the middle there where it was pretty much a longform political satire with really great art and really great dry humour before it completely nosedived into "Feminists are fascists! Women are The Void!!" territory. It was also a satire on mainstream comics and the industry was really struggling with its identity back then, with independent comics gradually clawing a firm foothold for themselves and Marvel & DC starting their decline into their grimdark 90s phase but also before DC started their 'mature' Vertigo line. It was also a time when the wider audience's familiarity with comics was based on Saturday morning cartoons and movies like Superman IV and Howard The Duck (since the 1989 Batman movie and the 1990 TMNT movie weren't out yet, which kicked off a whole new era of comicbook movies) and the internet wasn't around so discussions around comics and the comics industry mostly happened in editorial pages and periodicals like The Comics Journal which were more than happy to huff Sim's farts. There weren't really any books like Scott McCloud's "Understanding Comics" out yet and there was a whole "Comics can be art too!" argument happening and people quite often held up Cerebus as an exemplar of that argument. There were lots of other great indie comics but hardly any of them lasted very long or became as widespread as Cerebus.

Things really were different back then. I used to go to monthly meet-ups in a local pub with other fans and comic creators so we could discuss comics, it all seems like ancient history now.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Rust Martialis posted:

Still waiting for issue #2 of D'Arc Tangent :(
Proof that artists developing a wankfodder side-hustle isn’t just a 21st-century phenomenon.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
pretty sure Jeph visited a poetry thing i read at once (tho dudes in western mass Just Look Like Him, All The Time) cuz a few days later there's a background homeless character which is dressed like i dress when i do poetry.

then again everyone out here just Dresses Like This, All The Time

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

wouldnt surprise me, iirc he put a guy from another forum in a couple comics too

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Krankenstyle posted:

wouldnt surprise me, iirc he put a guy from another forum in a couple comics too

Was it dumbrella? Does dumbrella still exist?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

pretty sure Jeph visited a poetry thing i read at once (tho dudes in western mass Just Look Like Him, All The Time) cuz a few days later there's a background homeless character which is dressed like i dress when i do poetry.

then again everyone out here just Dresses Like This, All The Time

post the comic

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aw, the only webcomic I've been in is The Draw Play, by goon Febreeze :smith:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Skwirl posted:

Was it dumbrella? Does dumbrella still exist?

Ya. Some of us keep in touch but the forums are dead

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Krankenstyle posted:

Ya. Some of us keep in touch but the forums are dead

I remember Jeph talking about starting a comic there.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

bump_fn posted:

post the comic

it'll take me a minute, iirc it was somewhere between "vespa avenger (but not FLCL)" and "fatty's dad died" plotlines. just some dude with squirrly hair and a loud jacket being drunk on a park bench.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

it'll take me a minute, iirc it was somewhere between "vespa avenger (but not FLCL)" and "fatty's dad died" plotlines. just some dude with squirrly hair and a loud jacket being drunk on a park bench.

Jesus Christ my dude.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
it's not like she's a real person I doubt her feelings are going to be- Oh! Right, I forgot it was a suicide. Hah! Whoops.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Skwirl posted:

I remember Jeph talking about starting a comic there.

Good times lol

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress this poo poo, even with good intentions, which is questionable for Pirraro

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

The Bloop posted:

gently caress this poo poo, even with good intentions, which is questionable for Pirraro

Said about the guy who got dropped from a bunch of papers for scribbling "Go gently caress yourself, Trump" in one of his comics? The dude is like Doonesbury subtle about hating him.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Clitch posted:

Said about the guy who got dropped from a bunch of papers for scribbling "Go gently caress yourself, Drumpf" in one of his comics? The dude is like Doonesbury subtle about hating him.
Nah, that was Wiley Miller with Non Sequitur.

eta: Although Dan Piraro seems pretty left-leaning, to say the least: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Piraro

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Jul 10, 2019

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This is like a shittier version of that Michael Caine movie.

e: Which, I guess, was just "what if Charles Bronson but somehow even older?"

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I don't think I will be preordering thanks

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Wow, I really hate this, like viscerally, in the very core of my being.

The artwork is good though.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Wow, Geri’s mental state sure has taken a turn for the worse.

Dementia isn’t a a joke, folks.The wacky chess hijinks don’t last for long.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Idgi

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

They hosed with the wrong grandpa

quote:

Lol

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Edit: didn't realize it was a shitload of images and not just one.

Have this better one instead

http://elcomics.net/the-nintendo.html

Oh god the sequel is even better

http://elcomics.net/prey.html

Len has a new favorite as of 01:36 on Jul 10, 2019

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Hirayuki posted:

Nah, that was Wiley Miller with Non Sequitur.

eta: Although Dan Piraro seems pretty left-leaning, to say the least: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Piraro

gently caress. My newspaper comic cred is ruined.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
jesus CHRSIT those are some dumb rear end comics someone post a newspaper spiderman

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ArtIsResistance posted:

jesus CHRSIT those are some dumb rear end comics someone post a newspaper spiderman

I posted too soon because there's a legit good one that's about an old man who invented a time machine. Everyone told him that he didn't and he disassembled it before he died. But he randomly popped up in the future to tell his family he told them he had time travel and that he was right just a spiteful old man.

Worst is probably the one about an alien visiting Earth to judge whether or not we deserve to exist and deciding that we might stand a chance.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

ArtIsResistance posted:

FAPPO!, etc.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Len posted:

lol

Post your favorite comic: We all got Super Nintendos for Christmas

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Post your favorite comic: We all got Super Nintendos for Christmas

Supers Nintendo
:goonsay:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Len posted:

I love Stranger Things! Remember Super Nintendo? Remember marrying your childhood friend because you bonded over a traumatic experience? Remember, uh, bicycles?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Didn't the artist stab himself over this character?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ChubbyChecker posted:

Didn't the artist stab himself over this character?

Yeah, apparently got a shitload of backlash of the fat character not being fat enough and stabbed his hand. Was a theme for a while, like that Steven Universe fan-artist who got hounded into attempting suicide.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
can someone post teh one parody comic where faye time travels back to save her dad and he says "two of you!" and kills himself it always makes me lol

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Poor jeff. I am glad he seems to be doing a little better now. Also glad that Gunnerkrigg Court is still going. Also the only "new" webcomic I have seen people talking about in ages is Kill Six Billion Demons.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I read through Kill Six Billion Demons last time someone brought it up here. It's mostly really good (especially the world design, which is some amazing art and ideas)

But it also runs into the same problem pretty much any longrunning webcomic has, every page is so quick that I just feel like dropping it for a couple years after catching up, just so there's a reasonable amount of plot to digest.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Captain Hygiene posted:

I read through Kill Six Billion Demons last time someone brought it up here. It's mostly really good (especially the world design, which is some amazing art and ideas)

But it also runs into the same problem pretty much any longrunning webcomic has, every page is so quick that I just feel like dropping it for a couple years after catching up, just so there's a reasonable amount of plot to digest.

When the artist isn't busy with life stuff, they update twice a week which is a pretty reasonable pace given the quality of the updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Josef bugman posted:

Poor jeff. I am glad he seems to be doing a little better now. Also glad that Gunnerkrigg Court is still going. Also the only "new" webcomic I have seen people talking about in ages is Kill Six Billion Demons.

Those two, and Stand Still Stay Silent (which is also incredible) are the only webcomics I still follow. I’m sure there are other good ones but those are at the top by far